Type keyword(s) to search

TDS 3.0: Season Four Talk

• Start Topic

In fairness to DeBlasio (a phrase you'll rarely get out of me), I had no idea "I Believe I Can Fly" was an R Kelly song until the Lifetime documentary. Watching that I realized that, yes, I was familiar with a lot of his songs but didn't know they were his. I think that weird "Trapped in the Closet" song was the only one I knew was his, and that's only because it was so insane.

Sometimes I feel bad for Trevor having to air at 11pm, at least 10 hours after every joke he and the writers have come up with for the day's scandals have already been made on Twitter.

• Love 3

Even if he did, as Trevor said, he's basically a guest in the church. Why were they playing it in the first place?

I did like Desi throwing shade at the FB woman. She is not a good person. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, gesundheit said:

In fairness to DeBlasio (a phrase you'll rarely get out of me), I had no idea "I Believe I Can Fly" was an R Kelly song

Not a music person and I didn't either. Joining you in reluctant fairness, the clip showed at least one choir member making large flying movements and DeBlasio probably assumed that was just the vibe at black churches, or some shit.

Why he was standing in front and fully on display instead of being in a pew is another question. I assume he had or was going to speak, but he could have walked up to do that.

Edited by palmaire
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

If memory serves, don't you live in Canada? This isn't affecting you that much.

Yeah, but everything that happens your way tends to affect everything happening our way. Besides, I get my info from the Fake News. The REAL Fake News Jon always refers to, and not the one Drumpf likes to dismiss like he just did his thing on the toilet after eating a six pack of Big Macs.

Ah, Mitt. You never fail to prove to us just how big a weirdo you really are. Never change for our amusement.

• Love 1

I'm not a Desi fan at all, but I did like CNN music piece. She seemed more natural and didn't  seem like she was trying so hard to be funny/shocking, etc. On a super vain note, she looked pretty with her hair pulled back. 

• Love 1

I cracked up when she was trolling John Dickerson. 

Tell me Trevor didn't look good in those earrings. 

I thought Ronnie's piece was funny, but the guy didn't really seem to play along much. He came off kind of stuffy. 

• Love 2

Those earrings looked fantastic on Trevor, and the first thing I thought was "he looks like African royalty!"

The guest who gave the earrings to him.... I'm feeling super-old by saying this (while "only" in my 40s), but something seemed off. A person can wear ANY damn thing that she/he/they want, and I'm happy to accept that. It was just something about that hideous necklace she* was wearing that almost offended me. I've gotten better jewelry from the bubble gum machine at the old Waldbaums grocery store. Something about her whole presentation screamed Halloween costume. I hope I don't sound closed-minded, but kinda like how assholes can come in all flavors - straight, gay, black, white - I now see that fashion roadkill can also come in all gender identities.

*apologies if this is not the right pronoun - I can't recall what the guest went by

I was delighted that Trevor still had the earrings on when he did the Moment of Zen.

10 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

*apologies if this is not the right pronoun - I can't recall what the guest went by

I googled, and discovered that Jacob uses singular 'they' pronouns.

Edited by purist

When Jacob first started presenting Trevor with the earrings, I got the sense that they were expecting Trevor to feel a bit uncomfortable about it.  But I loved that even before he got to the African royalty aspect of the earrings, Trevor was all "oh, are they clip-ons?  Clip-ons always give me a headache", so he was totally unabashed about having worn earrings, apparrently multiple times, in the past.  And yeah, they looked great on him.

• Love 5

Loved Ronnie's piece. 

I will admit that when Jacob walked out, I was a little uncomfortable in that I thought they looked silly, and my thinking that made me uncomfortable. I try to be accepting of everyone.  (I also have to say that it's hard to use "they" when talking about one specific person, but I'll do it.) 

But as the interview continued, I felt myself relax as I saw them as just another person. And I think it's ok to go thru these feelings. It's natural to feel uncertain the first time you see something you've never seen before. 

Actually, I guess I have seen someone sorta kinda like that before. Possibly. In line at the movies a couple of years ago was a man, very hairy with a heavy beard, longish hair in pigtails, and a dress that was low cut enuf to see his hairy chest and no bosom. He was acting a bit weird too, which I couldn't tell if it was deliberate -- like trying to get attention or make use uncomfortable -- or if he was mentally touched or just eccentric. It certainly was memorable.

• Love 1
On 3/13/2019 at 12:38 AM, Lantern7 said:

Didn't Benedict Arnold's wife get some light shined on her in an episode of Drunk History?

I learned about her from watching Turn: Washington's Spies on AMC.

• Love 1

A bit disingenuous in the interview. Yes, Gates believes correctly that you're not going to jump to wind and solar, but he also believes nuclear energy fills that gap. He literally owns a nuclear company. 

And the governor sure well knows that. He's got over 2000 MW of nuclear in eastern WA and he's not shutting them down any time soon. He's talking "new technologies", there has to be advanced nuclear in that discussion. Maybe he felt this interview wasn't the place to bring it up but someone is going to ask. 

Edited by ganesh

So basically, two years worth of work by Robert Mueller is handed over to new Attorney General William Barr, a guy who thinks going after a sitting president is ridiculous and was given the job by Drumpf because of it, then reduces it all down to a four page summary that says he sees NOOOOTHING, and Trevor just shrugs his shoulders and sighs and apologizes?

FUCKING LAME ON YOUR PART, TREV!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

So basically, two years worth of work by Robert Mueller is handed over to new Attorney General William Barr, a guy who thinks going after a sitting president is ridiculous and was given the job by Drumpf because of it, then reduces it all down to a four page summary that says he sees NOOOOTHING, and Trevor just shrugs his shoulders and sighs and apologizes?

He could have been making the wank motion under his desk. 🤷‍♂️

Seeing Fox “talent” celebrate was a bit nauseating. And yeah, it kinda did feel like coming down the stairs on Christmas morning to find a dead Santa. I’m thinking the frustration comes from the lack of smoking guns, even if we know damn well the AG might be stashing those under the bed.

• Love 2

I didn't think there would be any smoking guns but I'm feeling the actual report has a lot of dirt in it. No one has seen the report. 

And not only Barr but even Meuller thinks a sitting president can't be indicted. That's never been settled in court. It's just a thing they say.

I would have been surprised if they found collusion because it's hard to prove and even then Meuller would have left it up to congress. Doesn't mean the report won't show Trump is stooge and useful idiot though. Not a crime, but very likely. 

What was with the bit with the hats? It's like Trevor didn't have anything to ask them and needed to fill time. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

I was really hoping that Trevor would follow up the apology with a joke or punchline like Stephen Colbert did:

"I'm sorry... sorry that you're a terrible President."

• Love 6

It's not really a secret that in the course of the investigation Mueller has farmed out investigations to others. They've mentioned SDNY on the show, which is the most notable, but there's a lot of others. This was a shockingly misinformed show. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, ganesh said:

It's not really a secret that in the course of the investigation Mueller has farmed out investigations to others. They've mentioned SDNY on the show, which is the most notable, but there's a lot of others. This was a shockingly misinformed show. 

Astoundingly irresponsible. He should be ashamed of himself.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, ganesh said:

And the way they presented that, with Roy in some form of panic mode trying to console himself, makes them look like idiots who haven't been paying close attention to the story and its details.

• Love 5

Piling on here, but I have to add that I was disappointed with TDS's handling of the Mueller story. I mean I expect cable news to react to the spin and how it affects the political horse race right this second without any effort at context or serious intellectual analysis, but I expect more from my topical comedy shows. Basically Trevor looked up at Bullshit Mountain and decided to take a nice hike rather than pointing out that the ground under everyone's feet was well you know...

• Love 7

More celebratory footage from Fox News. Joy. Also, Administration folks offering uncooked crow for the media to eat. I can’t blame SHS for doing that. The investigation took time from her where she could have been working on her gingerbread house. 🤦‍♂️

I’m not pissed at Trevor at all . . . but at least we have Sam tonight and John on Sunday.

I haven't watched last night's show yet, but I am as disappointed in Monday's show as the rest of you. Trevor does the best Trump imitation around, but lately the political analysis seems really slack. Monday I really missed Jon Stewart for the first time in a while. I didn't always agree with him, but I knew he'd thought about the issues. What irritated then and now is when the show makes stupid mistakes because they didn't check their own facts.

• Love 7

Trevor was a little bit better on the facts last night, but then he gave Fox's lies and Trump's lies a bunch of airtime, so Trevor is still on my side eye list.  Be smarter, more clever, and less reliant on spreading Fox footage far and wide, Trevor!  If half your show is Fox clips, you're not doing it right.

• Love 3

I just watched the segment about Mayor Pete Buttigieg before it appeared on cable (thanks YouTube!). Just when I thought his resume wasn’t already impressive enough, Trevor mentioned that he’s a concert pianoist?! Wow. I watched an interview he did with The Breakfast Club and he answered questions in a way that seemed genuine. I’m definitely going to keep an eye out on this one. 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 2

Buttigieg is impressive and the thought of a multi-lingual POTUS who could represent the US internationally in a calm and intelligent manner is very appealing. But Trevor and company seriously couldn't find any black marks against him?

It's depressing that I believe this so strongly, but the U.S. will not elect a gay person in the next two years.

The only other president who was a Rhodes Scholar is Clinton, so the bloom is off that rose for me.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, 2727 said:

Buttigieg is impressive and the thought of a multi-lingual POTUS who could represent the US internationally in a calm and intelligent manner is very appealing. But Trevor and company seriously couldn't find any black marks against him?

It's depressing that I believe this so strongly, but the U.S. will not elect a gay person in the next two years.

Cabinet position? The guy does seem impressive. And even with the hard-to-pronounce name, it's still better than "Hickenlooper."

Going back to the moon seems like a good idea. Pence announcing plans? Not so much. I know, the Sixties was basically a contest between the U.S. and Soviet Union as to who would land on the moon first. But this is Mike Pence. What would he even know about space?

• LOL 2

Trevor's impression of John Oliver: not as good as the president and his wife, but pretty funny.

4 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I am surprised the Jackson Estate didn't attack Trevor Noah 's thinly veiled shade of MJ jokes for the 2nd time on Wednesday. Not that I mind, though. 

Wait . . who is Jackson Estate? is he running for President next year? How's he doing in the polls? 😜

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Trevor's impression of John Oliver: not as good as the president and his wife, but pretty funny.

Wait . . who is Jackson Estate? is he running for President next year? How's he doing in the polls? 😜

Oh, my....don't make me laugh. Though you never would know..;)

Edited by Robert Lynch

Kinda odd to see Trevor take a bagel and put it through hell like that. I doubt Jon would have done something like that. In fact, Trevor's treatment of that bagel was like Drumpf eating a pizza with a knife and fork. And we all know what Jon thought of THAT!

• LOL 2
On 3/27/2019 at 6:37 AM, ABay said:

I haven't watched last night's show yet, but I am as disappointed in Monday's show as the rest of you. Trevor does the best Trump imitation around, but lately the political analysis seems really slack. 

THIS!!!

I laugh out loud every single night during new episodes when Trevor does the imitation to the point where tears begin to stream down my cheeks! I am BEYOND thankful for his imitation - it gives me something to sincerely look forward to during the week. Seth Meyers does a pretty good one too, but there is something about Trevor's that accurately echoes and captures the moronic stylings of the Cheeto in Charge so perfectly.

"I swear to God, if anyone finds out that I got a K+ in math..." (That line will always make me laugh!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 3/30/2019 at 3:07 AM, Victor the Crab said:

Kinda odd to see Trevor take a bagel and put it through hell like that. I doubt Jon would have done something like that. In fact, Trevor's treatment of that bagel was like Drumpf eating a pizza with a knife and fork. And we all know what Jon thought of THAT!

Funny . . . I don't think the president's name came up once in that episode . . . but Trevor did use "eating pizza with a knife and fork" as an example, so I think that would count.

Trevor's impression is good in short bursts. I'm good with Alec Baldwin on SNL. Anthony Atamanuik is probably at the very top, but I couldn't withstand 22 minutes of the President Show anymore because it grates that much. Weirdly enough, I think that's a compliment from me. He was so good, but I couldn't take "EXCUSE ME! EXCUSE ME!!!" anymore without cringing.

• LOL 1