Type keyword(s) to search

TDS 3.0: Season Four Talk

• Start Topic

No, I think she didn't deserve being invited on the show. I just don't care for her. I find her not nearly as clever as she thinks she is and very condescending. I give her credit for developing the 'anti-Trump gop woman' brand, and she's fairly knowledgeable, but that's it. 

• Love 2

Catching up all at once:

Roy & Ronnie are the only 2 correspondents I have ever found funny. Even Hassan toward the end was just annoying to me.

Along the same line, I'm feeling the show less & less lately and this Miami trip is not helping.

It sounds weird, but Trevor has always reminded me of Louis Jourdan, c. Gigi. I'll try to find a picture. It's the eyes, something about his expression, and the contours of his head.

lj3.jpg

lj01.jpg

lj2.jpg

Edited by ABay

I Gave My Mom A Church sounds like a great movie title. Thanks, Dwyane Wade!

We got Ronnie and shooting fish underwater with guns. So, yeah, Florida.

Really hoping the “get out the vote” movement works, because I’d hate to see the team crestfallen Tuesday night. I mean, not as bad as two years ago, but still.

• Love 1

I wouldn't have a problem voting for a measure the outlaws off shore drilling and indoor vaping. 

I also can't imagine we can't come up with a better way to cull these fish. Both attempts seem to be highly inefficient. I'm not sure that PETA actually needs to have a say in it either. 

• Love 1

We spend time in the Caribbean, and my husband, a diver, has gone on lion fish hunts.  They take lion fish very seriously there.  The guy shooting lion fish was not wrong.  On the hunts my husband has been on, the divers use spears to jab them through the head.  They are also trying to feed lion fish to the crocodiles to give them a taste for the fish, so the crocs hopefully will start to see lion fish as prey.  The fish don't scatter with divers around.  They are slow, so it's not that hard to catch them...it's a question of whether they scoot into a crevice in coral or rocks.  They have no natural predators in the Atlantic/Caribbean, so they haven't learned to flee.  They make a good ceviche, but only very experienced chefs handle them because the quills will poison you even after the fish are dead.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 4

“Not voting is not an act of rebellion. It’s an act of surrender.” Just in case anyone out that wants that monogrammed. ?

Were Ronnie’s bits prerecorded? Nice concept, and it would’ve worked well with any of the correspondents. Underwater double middle fingers for the win.

• Love 6
On 11/7/2018 at 7:43 AM, ganesh said:

Roy is correct, Trump has a built in excuse now for anything with the House out of his control. 

Wow I didn't think the president would just come out and say he's not going to bother doing anything and just blame them. They not "the majority" btw. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

the joke about Trump being unable to understand accents

I was certain the punchline was going to be that he and Melania don't talk to each other, so it doesn't matter.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

They show those 'in between' clips a lot on Facebook. There's one hilarious clip where he tools on a French guy in the audience. 

I didn't realize that figuratively everyone at the mall pulled their guns out when the shooting happened. How are the police supposed to know who is the actual shooter? Of course, they don't, so they shoot the black guy. Clearly, this whole good guy with a gun canard needs to be put down. 

• Love 6

You think Trevor decided to go unplugged and have that broadcast? Good move. I can’t blame for being concerned.

When Jon left, did most of the stuff associated with him leave as well? Because I think Trevor would have a lot of fun with the Go Fuck Yourself Choir.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

You think Trevor decided to go unplugged and have that broadcast? Good move. I can’t blame for being concerned.

It wasn't the first time he did something like that, as I seem to recall. Don't know what it was, but I think it was also race related.

When Jon left, did most of the stuff associated with him leave as well? Because I think Trevor would have a lot of fun with the Go Fuck Yourself Choir.

But first, he'd have to rename it the Get The Fuck Outta Here Man Choir.

I was so grateful for a segment on a giant cow that I played it twice! Then skipped the Al Gore interview.

We can add Australian to Trevor's endless bag o' accents.

Ronnie's piece was pretty good, even though I have a really low cringe tolerance for what I consider to be ambush interviews. The most surprising part was that that the D.A. was elected on a platform of criminal reform IN TEXAS. But even Florida voted to give former felons back their voting rights. A small beacon of light to me.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 4

What I kind of wanted from Al: “Yes, Earth is at a tipping point. Listen, do you know the South Park guys, Trevor? I owe them a beating. I’m really serious. SEE. REE. US.”

Knickers is breathtaking, isn’t he? Holy cow, that’s a lotta cow.

• Love 2

I read that Knickers isn't actually a giant cow. It IS nearly record-breaking, but the deception is seeing it among those smaller cows. Per The Washington Post, "Male Holsteins tend to top out at just under 6 feet in height, while other breeds, like the wagyu cattle that surround Knickers in the now-famous photos of him, usually come in under 4.5 feet." Also, Knickers is 7 years old, while the other cows in the pic are only 1 year. Naturally, older cows will be bigger. But, yes, he's very big.

I liked the bit where Amy Adams is trying to decipher Trump's language as if he's an alien. And Trump going thru a Michael Jackson phase gave me the giggles.

I liked Ronnie Chang's segment basically because the DA was cool with the kidding and seems like a nice, decent, smart guy.

• Love 2
On 11/29/2018 at 3:49 AM, 2727 said:

Ronnie's piece was pretty good, even though I have a really low cringe tolerance for what I consider to be ambush interviews. The most surprising part was that that the D.A. was elected on a platform of criminal reform IN TEXAS. But even Florida voted to give former felons back their voting rights. A small beacon of light to me.

I'm pretty sure the DA knew what he was getting into when he agreed to do the interview. He seemed to be amused by it more than anything else.

On 11/29/2018 at 11:38 AM, peeayebee said:

I read that Knickers isn't actually a giant cow. It IS nearly record-breaking, but the deception is seeing it among those smaller cows. Per The Washington Post, "Male Holsteins tend to top out at just under 6 feet in height, while other breeds, like the wagyu cattle that surround Knickers in the now-famous photos of him, usually come in under 4.5 feet." Also, Knickers is 7 years old, while the other cows in the pic are only 1 year. Naturally, older cows will be bigger. But, yes, he's very big.

Most cows are killed long before they get to full size. I went to a farm sanctuary last year and some of the cows were around Knickers' size (I think they were the same kind), and they looked more like some sort of prehistoric mammal than the cows most people think of.

1 hour ago, brgjoe said:

Trevor's grandmother is an international treasure. She was awesome! And it was very nice seeing where Trevor grew up. 

She's the epitome of the elderly person who's still sharp as a tack. I loved how she didn't have two shits to give about Trevor's show or fame. He'll always be the naughty and mischievous boy to her. "Oooh, such a handful!"

The topics cracked me up -- The Cribs: Oppression Edition, and the Self-Deportation episode.

That to-go meal reminded me of the "plate lunch" in Hawaii of white rice, macaroni salad, and an entree (frequently fried Spam). It's all about the carbs.

• Love 5

This was really enjoyable. First off, I love hearing Trevor speak the language (which is...?). Having read his book, I know he speaks multiple languages, but I can't remember which one this was.

Second, his grandmother. Loved her. Her voice was kinda mesmerizing to me.

• Love 3

Did the grandmother say she smacked him with her slippers when he was naughty?

Instead of wanting to watch the show, she was trying to get Trevor to get some work done around the house. 

One sad part of that though was that she was saying the kids ran away from Trevor because they thought he was "white" and he didn't remember it. Though he quickly turned it around into a good joke. 

The main language in Soweto is Zulu, but I don't know if he was speaking that. 

Trevor had an older comedy special on netflix where he did a show in South Africa and it was longer form with his own history, friends, etc. It was before the Daily Show. 

• Love 2

If you haven't read Trevor's book, "Born a Crime" you must, you must, you must. Actually, you should listen to it as an audiobook. Trevor reads it and since he speaks multiple languages he does the accents and dialects of those in his life and it really made the book even better. It was great to meet his grandma Coco (and I believe it was her floor he pooped on (hey, it's in the book if you want to know more!)) and it was cool to see him speaking those multiple languages in this episode. It was neat to see his book and this show come together like this. (And while watching it I wondered about Abel, his abusive former stepdad who shot his mother and told Trevor he wanted to kill him too--he's just out there somewhere in South Africa (last Trevor knew). Does Trevor still worry or is Abel not a threat anymore?)

• Love 8

I agree that Trevor's  "interview" with his grandmother was the best thing on tv in months.  But it left me wondering, is his mother still alive?  Gosh I hope so, but I wondered why she didn't make an appearance.  As wonderful as it was to meet his grandmother, I think meeting his amazing mother would be peak awesomosity.  Maybe she just doesn't want to be on tv, or there may even be issues with her ex, or lots of perfectly benign explanations, but her non-appearance now has me worried an unreasonable amount for a total stranger.

This was from last month.

'An audience member asks Trevor when his mom will be on the show. Answer? NEVER.'

He talked a lot about his mom during his book tour last year as well. 

Edited by sum
  • Love 2

Thanks Sum for those links.  They were delightful, and I'm relieved to know  his mom is ok, and  the fact that she doesn't really care about show business or tv makes me like her even more.   And I will pile on with others who are designating Born a Crime as a must-read.   It really is.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ganesh said:

The stepdad shot his mother?!

I can't remember if it was her husband, or a boyfriend, but yes, he shot her in the head. She survived, but it was horrible. I heard Trevor talk about it in an interview, but I think it's in his book also.

That was a wacky show. Each of the "hosts" broke up at some point. Desi looked like she had the hardest job because Trevor kept pointing to the questions he wanted to ask. I did like her just holding it together when she said "as a mixed race child in south africa".

• Love 2
18 hours ago, BookThief said:

If you haven't read Trevor's book, "Born a Crime" you must, you must, you must. Actually, you should listen to it as an audiobook. Trevor reads it and since he speaks multiple languages he does the accents and dialects of those in his life and it really made the book even better. It was great to meet his grandma Coco (and I believe it was her floor he pooped on (hey, it's in the book if you want to know more!)) and it was cool to see him speaking those multiple languages in this episode. It was neat to see his book and this show come together like this. (And while watching it I wondered about Abel, his abusive former stepdad who shot his mother and told Trevor he wanted to kill him too--he's just out there somewhere in South Africa (last Trevor knew). Does Trevor still worry or is Abel not a threat anymore?)

The anecdote about the floor poop (and him trying to trick his grandma into thinking it was an evil spirit) was just about the funniest thing I've read in a book in my life. I can't even type about it without giggling.

• Love 1