Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 as a whole

MamaMax
  • Start Topic

I was looking for a place to discuss the season overall: themes, through plot lines, observations, SNARK.

Anyone interested?

I will begin:

Why doesn't foreplay exist?

Is that what NYers really think about Californians?

Are Californians really like that?

Do people in real life say Fuck so much? Like, not as an exclamation or adjective/adverb, but to mean "have sex?"  It sounds SO harsh to my ear and I don't now ANYONE who casually says it like that.  All the characters say it so much that it actually stuck out when Sierra asked Helen if she only sleeps with men. I was like: What? No "FUCK"? And when Helen said it to Whitney and her BF, it made the hair on my neck stand up. Is it just me? 

• Love 3
On 9/18/2018 at 3:35 PM, MamaMax said:

I was looking for a place to discuss the season overall: themes, through plot lines, observations, SNARK.

Anyone interested?

I will begin:

Do people in real life say Fuck so much? Like, not as an exclamation or adjective/adverb, but to mean "have sex?"  It sounds SO harsh to my ear and I don't now ANYONE who casually says it like that.  All the characters say it so much that it actually stuck out when Sierra asked Helen if she only sleeps with men. I was like: What? No "FUCK"? And when Helen said it to Whitney and her BF, it made the hair on my neck stand up. Is it just me? 

I  have thought the same thing about foreplay...and chalked up the lack of it to time. How many minutes in the scene can they devote to that?  But really... enough of the “quickies!”

As someone who admits to having quite a potty mouth...I think the writers really do overuse the word “f*ck.”  As a noun, verb, adjective..the works!  They need to be a little more strategic about the use of the word, it would have more effect if it weren’t used in every other sentence!

• Love 4

Yes, I've noticed. Foreplay? Half the time (except for Noah Fucking Solloway) they don't even get fully undressed. It's quickies, (amazingly) simultaneous orgasms, jump up and leave.

Like, not as an exclamation or adjective/adverb, but to mean "have sex?"

I don't recall many specific examples, but I think people usually say that when they're angry over cheating, i.e. when Alison confessed to Noah she'd had sex with Cole and Noah asked her how many times she'd "fucked" him. It sounds so much more nasty, angry and worse than asking how many times they'd had sex, slept together or used other euphemisms.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Yes, I've noticed. Foreplay? Half the time (except for Noah Fucking Solloway) they don't even get fully undressed. It's quickies, (amazingly) simultaneous orgasms, jump up and leave.

I don't recall many specific examples, but I think people usually say that when they're angry over cheating, i.e. when Alison confessed to Noah she'd had sex with Cole and Noah asked her how many times she'd "fucked" him. It sounds so much more nasty, angry and worse than asking how many times they'd had sex, slept together or used other euphemisms.

This season, they said it ALOT. Everyone to everyone else. Helen to Whitney: Go fuck in the guest bedrrom. Helen to Noah, "I fucked her too."  Cole to Noah re: Alison's CA visit : "Did you fuck her?" Sierra to Vik: "When do guys learn how to fuck," It goes on and on.......

• Love 3
On 2018-09-18 at 3:35 PM, MamaMax said:

Anyone interested?

I will begin:

Oh my goodness, I had to check that I hadn't written your post!! I agree about EVERYTHING.

On 2018-09-25 at 10:42 AM, AngelaHunter said:

I agree, usually fucking is used to express anger or perhaps shock (still). I have never used it to entice my significant other into bed and I would be really offended if it was used as a synonym for making love. Same with "having sex." Nobody uses that term to suggest getting laid, other than on TV. Maybe cable show producers get excited, they finally get to use the forbidden word! I am always amazed that a woman is the showrunner for The Affair. The women are always written as if a man had come up with their dialogue and actions. I greatly commend Ruth Wilson for taking this part and making me care so passionately about Allision. I really don't think it is the writing or directing at all. At this point, I will check out next season initially for curiousity but without Ruth or Joshua Jackson, I can't see how the story of Noah and Helen will entice me. With the impending death of Vic, there won't be any reason to watch the show at all. Every sympathetic character will be gone.

• Love 1