Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E22: Live Results Finale (Wednesday's Show)

• Start Topic

And, if I am wrong, someone please correct me... did Shin Lim ever need a Judges Save, Dunkin Save, etc? 

You were correct; it was voter-votes all the way through.

It almost makes the saves look stupid--probably because, most of the time, they are stupid.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

The last part says Simon is going to sign her even if she doesn't win. Noooooooo.....

Because Courtney can't sing and either screams or screeches in between any notes/words she does hit, I can't see her being a recording "artist" or ever played on the radio. Her schtick is her epileptic seizures and hair flinging on stage. I'd never heard of The Struts, but I'd pay to see them. Courtney? NEVER.

5 hours ago, Superclam said:

Wow, Howie is out and Dana Carvey is in?? 

Nice catch on that. I wonder if it's a mistake.

• Love 5

Its been interesting listening to all of the Shin Lim interviews.  They've asked him if he thought he had a chance of winning.  He said that he was shocked that he won.  Apparently all of the finalists were convinced that Michael and Courtney were top 2.   When they both got eliminated Shin said that was when he realized he might win.

Man the complete pimpage of those 2 must have sucked for the other 8.

Edited by seltzer3
  • Love 7

The KristStef Brothers, great hand balancing act that had humor and personality.  Would love to see them back, but have little to zero hope. Despite the recent finals results, I still think they will load the line-up with singers. It's what Simon's comfortable with.

Please Lord, no Vickie Barbolak. Way too soon to hear "Trailer Nasty" again. (Actually, never would be too soon).

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Because Courtney can't sing and either screams or screeches in between any notes/words she does hit, I can't see her being a recording "artist" or ever played on the radio. Her schtick is her epileptic seizures and hair flinging on stage. I'd never heard of The Struts, but I'd pay to see them. Courtney? NEVER.

Never underestimate the bag of tricks available to record producers to cover up a singer's deficiencies, including electronic pitch adjustment and smothering them with back-up singers. It isn't like we haven't had huge recording starts with limited singing ability. If there's a profit to be made, someone will invest the time and money.

But outside of a few hard core fans of her AGT performances (young girls?) I agree that I can't imagine she would be a concert draw. I only hope that she has not spawned an army of imitators, for the sake of parents everywhere who have to attend middle school talent contents.  

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

There's another season premiering on January 1st - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Got_Talent:_The_Champions

Yesterday I got an email with a link for tickets. It’s being filmed at Pasadena Civic Center starting 9/27. Finale is 10/17 for a total of 7 shows. Just checked, tickets still available! Even though two dates are Sunday’s, two AGT in a row are enough for me for awhile lol. 

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Catgyrl said:

OMG.  O M G.  How did Saintly Michael of the Six Adopted Children fall from grace?  And so fast?

Credit where credit is due:  One of you posters made a cryptic comment that MK really wasn't a nice guy.  I wanted to ask why they got that impression, but didn't.  Who was that poster?  I'll look around and post screen name unless you come forward.  Thanks!

AGT.  The show that keeps on giving and giving!!!

• Love 10

Of course the wife doesn't want to press charges.  That's how battered women's syndrome works.  I'll bet someone at the hotel called the cops because of the noise and ruckus.  Also betting the whole almost died in childbirth story is made up or exaggerated.  Phony Christian Values Singer!  Buh Bye!

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, Catgyrl said:

Ok. I thought I was being overly cynical by not liking this guy and his hero story. I feel better about my cynicism now.

He says they got into an "argument" which led to someone calling the cops, and her having a visible red mark on her. From arguing.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 10
On 9/20/2018 at 2:24 PM, bluepiano said:

I'm with you. I get that same feeling that Ketterer is not all he's cracked up to be. Maybe it's just because I'm old and cynical, but in my experience, when someone seems too good to be true it's because they really aren't.

Too good to be true is the thought I had!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Readalot said:

Yesterday I got an email with a link for tickets. It’s being filmed at Pasadena Civic Center starting 9/27. Finale is 10/17 for a total of 7 shows. Just checked, tickets still available! Even though two dates are Sunday’s, two AGT in a row are enough for me for awhile lol. 

I wasn't sure how many to expect, but I guess 1 show a week for almost 2 months isn't bad, even though this is a show that pains my muscles to watch, so I don't know why I'm happy about it

• Love 1

Not like they're going to post a picture, but I'd want to know what a "red mark" actually means - having no evidence other than non-detailed hearsay, there's no basis to crucify Michael. Not saying this is what happened to Michael, but plenty of men get arrested even when it's the wife who is hitting them. Should save the premature shit flinging for Perez Hilton, no?

• Love 5

I didn't like him from the beginning; mostly for the fact that Simon was beating us over the head with how "saintly" he was. I like to judge those things for myself. I will say that I would've been happy had any of the top 3 won, and would pay to see any of those acts in Vegas!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Howie likely has a conflict with hosting the NEW Deal/No Deal.

11 hours ago, Superclam said:

Howie told Access (1:20) that he's going into the new show taping shortly, before the reboot of Deal or No Deal. I would guess Mel B. is now out, so that she can go into her planned in-patient therapy over in the UK.

Edited to add: Not sure how many non-champions they're including in the new show but a ukulele player who was on Asia's Got Talent was in LA this week, taping Ellen.

Edited by halopub
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, InternetToughGuy said:

Not like they're going to post a picture, but I'd want to know what a "red mark" actually means - having no evidence other than non-detailed hearsay, there's no basis to crucify Michael.

Maybe the police officers who responded felt that the situation was unsafe for his wife.  They are trained to deal with this stuff, so they can pretty much size up a situation pretty quickly.  Better to err on the side of caution and remove him from the scene and let him calm down.  I'm assuming that people must've heard the argument and could tell who was the threatening one, so that's what they have to go on when they arrive on the scene.  However, I do agree with you in that he should get his due process.  

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, halopub said:

I would guess Mel B. is now out, so that she can go into her planned in-patient therapy over in the UK.

She's still listed in that wikipedia article, which of course isn't exactly scientific fact. All that $$ is probably hard for her to pass up, but I sincerely hope she get the help she needs. 

On a related note, I see that wikipedia article has been edited since I saw it this morning. No more Dana Carvey or Heidi Klum. I wonder if it was just wiki-vandalism. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

OMG.  O M G.  How did Saintly Michael of the Six Adopted Children fall from grace?  And so fast?

Credit where credit is due:  One of you posters made a cryptic comment that MK really wasn't a nice guy.  I wanted to ask why they got that impression, but didn't.  Who was that poster?  I'll look around and post screen name unless you come forward.  Thanks!

I didn't make the original post, but I agreed, based on some vibe I was picking up, and the fact that in my experience people who seem too good to be true usually aren't. And his reaction to coming in fifth was pretty far saintly. But regarding this domestic abuse revelation, I do agree with that we shouldn't rush to judgement based on the bare bones of a story.

I guess my dislike of Michael was to some extent a reaction to all the pimping, especially from Simon. I said a social media headline earlier today that Simon is publicly bitching about the results, because he was so invested in Michael winning. I think it's bad for the show when it becomes so obvious that the judges (especially Simon, who's also a producer) are so biased towards a particular contestant.

"It's all up to you, America," is what we hear over and over from the judges. Except when America shows some independent thought, instead of allowing itself to be led around by the nose, the judges tell us how stupid we are. I think that Simon publicly mourning that Michael didn't win is disrespectful to the audience (which helps make him rich) and to Shin Lim, who won fair and square. If TPTB want to completely control the outcome than I guess they need to get rid of audience voting.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, bluepiano said:

I didn't make the original post, but I agreed, based on some vibe I was picking up, and the fact that in my experience people who seem too good to be true usually aren't. And his reaction to coming in fifth was pretty far saintly. But regarding this domestic abuse revelation, I do agree with that we shouldn't rush to judgement based on the bare bones of a story.

I guess my dislike of Michael was to some extent a reaction to all the pimping, especially from Simon. I said a social media headline earlier today that Simon is publicly bitching about the results, because he was so invested in Michael winning. I think it's bad for the show when it becomes so obvious that the judges (especially Simon, who's also a producer) are so biased towards a particular contestant.

"It's all about to you, America," is what we hear over and over from the judges. Except when America shows some independent thought, instead of allowing itself to be led around by the nose, the judges tell us how stupid we are. I think that Simon publicly mourning that Michael didn't win is disrespectful to the audience (which helps make him rich) and to Shin Lim, who won fair and square. If TPTB want to completely control the outcome than I guess they need to get rid of audience voting.

This.  There's so much manipulation going on, what with the sob stories, audience being directed when to stand up and cheer, etc., even the Golden Buzzer is a bit of a manipulation.  The judges should give their verdicts and opinions on the acts and that's it.  Not publicly promising backstage deals and further promotion on a personal level.

The wife is the one with the red mark on her body (somewhere), not him.  None of us were there, but the LAPD responded to a call, and that is the outcome with them, complete with handcuffs.  If Mrs. Ketterer starts taking the blame or saying it was all a misunderstanding, then it will show she's been a battered woman and is exhibiting signs of BWS (battered woman's syndrome).

• Love 2

Here's the thing: If I hear my neighbors having an argument (and I live in that kinda neighborhood believe me)? I 'm not calling the cops. I'm thinking "SHUT UP!!!" But I'm not calling the cops.

The one time I DID call the cops I heard her screaming out in pain! And yelling "NO!" "STOP!" In between sobs.

The folks in the other hotel room didn't call the cops because they were "yelling"at each other.

She was screaming, sobbing, saying no....they got scared and called the POLICE, not the FRONT DESK.

I also never liked this man but because his voice was meh. And his talent was meh.  Garth must owe Simon a huge favor to do this for him. Even to putting him in his tour.

Well...up to now....

What a mess.

This may be the nail in the coffin that is the Got Talent empire. I know I'm done. Not watching any more. It's just not GOOD any longer.

And that million dollars? Is paid out over THIRTY YEARS.

• Love 3

Well, given this afternoon's events this piece of information probably isn't relevant anymore but: the only reason that the Garth Brooks concert was sold out at Notre Dame is because it's the first concert ever to be held in the football stadium. (Before this any concerts on campus were in the basketball arena.) I have friends who bought tickets just because they wanted to say they were at the first-ever concert at the stadium.

Also, not to keep ragging on Ketterer, but his last two performances were REALLY bad. I mean, I could see how his voice is good enough to have a part-time career in music, but he's like the best singer at the local high school or something -- better than average, but still a dime a dozen. His poor kids. 

I'm glad a couple of other people (@LYNXFX, @seltzer3) pointed out that BKJ isn't the cleanest violinist of all time...I've thought that all season. I assume at least some of that is due to his disease -- he got through some pretty prestigious music schools so I would imagine his technique was a little better back them. But good for him for getting broader national exposure on a platform where his charisma can really make an impact.

I was actually a bit surprised that Shin won over Zucaroh...Zucaroh was just so polished in their performances and I thought that Shin showed his nerves and was a little awkward at times. The shifting six of hearts to nine of hearts last night was pretty awesome though.

Like everyone has said, I was really happy to see a top four comprised entirely of non-singers. (Although it was kind of funny that girls/women lost every single head to head battle. I know that girls are "cursed" on Idol but I didn't think that would extend to AGT!) 

• Love 2

I saw an article back in July I think, that the Champions edition was going to feature contestants from many of the international Got Talents. Too lazy to go looking for it.

Michael Ketterer. Remember the downhill skier crashing that was used to illustrate 'the agony of defeat'? Crash and burn, baby.

• Love 3

Wow. Maybe a lot of the voters sensed something a little "off" in Kettering's presentation.  I thought it was pretty clear during the finale results that he was not the saint Simon was so desperate to sell.  He went from a smug expression when the camera panned the faces of the final 5 to such a shocked expression when he was eliminated in 5th place. It looked like it had never even occurred to him that he might not win this thing. I'm hoping someone will make a gif meme of that 15 seconds or so, because it was a classic. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, jhummerbird said:

I know that girls are "cursed" on Idol

Are they? I remember some of the earlier seasons often having their bottom 3 comprised of all girls, but it always seemed to be the least popular contestants in there. I usually mentally tune out to most of the male Idol contestants because they are either schlubs or annoying. The women on Idol are usually pretty hot, yet AGT tends to have a lot of head turners (away from the TV).

2 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

Wow. Maybe a lot of the voters sensed something a little "off" in Kettering's presentation.  I thought it was pretty clear during the finale results that he was not the saint Simon was so desperate to sell.  He went from a smug expression when the camera panned the faces of the final 5 to such a shocked expression when he was eliminated in 5th place. It looked like it had never even occurred to him that he might not win this thing. I'm hoping someone will make a gif meme of that 15 seconds or so, because it was a classic. 

Can't say I'm surprised at his reaction to coming in 5th - he got to perform last several times, got a song from Garth Brooks, (to my memory) was never in the bottom 3, and had his ass kissed the entire season. I'm more surprised at the fact that Heidi and Mel do a terrible job at judging and yet are begged to come back every year for another outrageous amount of money.

• Love 3

having no evidence other than non-detailed hearsay, there's no basis to crucify Michael.

I consider something happening that was upsetting enough that bystanders called the cops and the wife having a visible mark on her body more than hearsay. I'm also not sure what details we need beyond that unless you're seriously trying to argue that there were some Gone Girl-style shenanigans in which she gave herself the mark to set Ketterer up. I am really comfortable not considering that a possibility right now.

There is no excuse that justifies a grown person hitting another person hard enough to leave a visible mark in an argument. 

• Love 13
11 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

I wasn't sure how many to expect, but I guess 1 show a week for almost 2 months isn't bad, even though this is a show that pains my muscles to watch, so I don't know why I'm happy about it

Then what's the setup for this thing ? No auditions or judge cuts but the "live" shows are taped? Is there a live finale ? If none of it is live then what's the point ? Doing it all taped will just lead to people spoiling things on social media. 

I mean taping  the auditions and judge cuts in advance in a normal season is one thing but any live shows should never be taped in advance.

Since these tapings start in less than a week it's pretty much a guarantee there will be quite a few season 13 people as I am sure some of the acts haven't even left la yet.

Also since it sounds like the entire season is being pre taped then who decides the winner ? How the hell is America supposed to vote on something that's isn't live ? If the judges decide the winner doesn't that take away from the whole premise of the show ?

Edited by anthonyd46
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

Then what's the setup for this thing ? No auditions or judge cuts but the "live" shows are taped? Is there a live finale ? If none of it is live then what's the point ? Doing it all taped will just lead to people spoiling things on social media. 

I mean taping  the auditions and judge cuts in advance in a normal season is one thing but any live shows should never be taped in advance.

Since these tapings start in less than a week it's pretty much a guarantee there will be quite a few season 13 people as I am sure some of the acts haven't even left la yet.

Also since it sounds like the entire season is being pre taped then who decides the winner ? How the hell is America supposed to vote on something that's isn't live ? If the judges decide the winner doesn't that take away from the whole premise of the show ?

Sunday the 14th is the semi-final and the 17th is the Finale. But it doesn’t state if they are live. I guess you could look up tvguide.com and find out. 

On 9/21/2018 at 7:32 AM, Superclam said:

Wikipedia now has Mel B, Simon, Howard Stern and Kelly Clarkson as judges with Mario Lopez and Sharon Osbourne hosting. 

That does not sound appealing.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

It’s being called a competition, but it sounds more like an exhibition or old-fashioned variety show.  There may be a prize, but that doesn’t appear to be the focus.

AGT is a ratings bonanza for NBC so the main purpose of the show is to plug the schedule between seasons of the Voice in fall and spring and AGT in summer. 

Given that the AGT performance shows rate higher than the results shows, this set up makes sense. 

If they want to take some power away from the judges (a/k/a TPTB), they could let the studio audience vote a la The Four.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, Readalot said:

Sunday the 14th is the semi-final and the 17th is the Finale. But it doesn’t state if they are live. I guess you could look up tvguide.com and find out. 

The show doesn't air till January first that was already announced in a press release. So it wouldn't be airing in October live. That's why it doesn't make sense. 

22 minutes ago, Amy Beth said:

It’s being called a competition, but it sounds more like an exhibition or old-fashioned variety show.  There may be a prize, but that doesn’t appear to be the focus.

AGT is a ratings bonanza for NBC so the main purpose of the show is to plug the schedule between seasons of the Voice in fall and spring and AGT in summer. 

Given that the AGT performance shows rate higher than the results shows, this set up makes sense. 

If they want to take some power away from the judges (a/k/a TPTB), they could let the studio audience vote a la The Four.

I thought that but the description says someone will be crowned the best of the best.

Re Michael Ketterer--wow. I never thought he was all that talented (his voice is so forgettable, I literally can't recall what he sounded like in any of his performances) and it was obvious he was skating by on his saintlihood. Like others, I was skeptical he was actually that amazing of a person, mostly because I'm a cynic but also because anybody who is actually that selfless usually isn't bragging about it. I realize in order to advance on this show you have to play the game--i.e. go along with the narrative they construct for you or move aside for somebody that will--and AGT has always had a habit of watering down people to their most basic, easy-to-absorb attributes, but at a certain point you have to take responsibility for buying into your own hype, which he clearly did as evidenced by his reaction to his elimination.

But never did it cross my mind that he was the kind of guy who hits his wife. I can't even bask in the schadenfreude of his downfall because it came at the wife's expense. All I can do is hope that she and the kids are safe and have access to people and resources that can protect them, and hope his smug mug never darkens our tv screens again.

On 9/20/2018 at 11:43 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

Oh dear. Was reading over on the BBC website and they of course reported on Courtney. The last part says Simon is going to sign her even if she doesn't win. Noooooooo.....

I don't understand the logic of giving this girl a record deal. As everybody's been saying here all season, she's a novelty act. It's about the surprise of a "shy" girl coming out of her shell and having a fit all across the stage. When you take away that surprise, as well as the visual of the flailing, she's just a teenager screaming into a microphone. Who is going to buy or even stream that?

15 hours ago, bluepiano said:

"It's all up to you, America," is what we hear over and over from the judges. Except when America shows some independent thought, instead of allowing itself to be led around by the nose, the judges tell us how stupid we are. I think that Simon publicly mourning that Michael didn't win is disrespectful to the audience (which helps make him rich) and to Shin Lim, who won fair and square. If TPTB want to completely control the outcome than I guess they need to get rid of audience voting.

This is what drives me nuts about this show and all others that rely on audience voting. The concept is so simple. You are getting direct feedback from the audience about who/what they want to see. You know exactly who to keep on your show to ensure people keep watching. So why attempt to manipulate that? Why put in all that extra work? You literally don't have to do anything--just let the acts do what they do, see how people react, and proceed accordingly. There's no reason to make it more complicated.

I can understand in the audition and judge cut rounds that, since those episodes are taped months in advance of their airing, you don't know what the tv audience is going to think of all the acts, so you just have to make your best guess. But then when the tv audience does see the acts and decides "yes, we like this, but no, we don't like that" it's time to adjust. Recent events aside, what would be gained out of continuing to push Michael and Courtney? America said they preferred four other acts more (possible more in terms of Courtney, since we don't know where she placed), so why not invest in them? I really don't understand it.

• Love 6

To answer the question upthread, my 10 year old will buy Courtney anything. At the finale, the people cheering the most for her were the tweens and the 60 year olds. 

I put in my name for Champions semi-finale tickets cause it’s on a Sunday and don’t have to miss anymore school and work. Since it doesn’t air until January, do you think there will be a spoiler post here so I can tell you all about it?  I guess this new show is only judges votes? How are they going to keep the results secret for months?  If I have to sign a confidentiality agreement I will and not post anything but you know someone will. 

• Love 3

Re Michael Ketterer--wow. I never thought he was all that talented (his voice is so forgettable, I literally can't recall what he sounded like in any of his performances) and it was obvious he was skating by on his saintlihood. Like others, I was skeptical he was actually that amazing of a person, mostly because I'm a cynic but also because anybody who is actually that selfless usually isn't bragging about it.

I always found the narrative surrounding Michael not only annoying, but borderline offensive because I believe that the idea that adoptive parents are selfless saints/saviors is an incredibly toxic narrative that only hurts their kids. (Obviously this doesn't apply to every adopted child out there but) I know a lot of adopted kids who have talked about feeling guilty and conflicted about their identity issues re adoption (e.g. looking for birth parents) because they feel as though they're supposed to just be eternally grateful to their adoptive parents for "rescuing" them. Or, like, even if the adoptive parent is abusive, the kid is made to feel like trash for complaining or speaking out bc "if you had been in foster care it would have been worse!" So I definitely didn't think much of Michael for going along with this saintly narrative, even if he was only doing so reluctantly. 

The "omg this shy little girl can sing like THAT?" narrative for Courtney might have been annoying - come the fuck on, are people really still surprised that shy/introverted people can still be great performers? I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of performers who fit that mold - but inoffensive. I wish she had come in fifth place instead of Saint Michael. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Readalot said:

To answer the question upthread, my 10 year old will buy Courtney anything. At the finale, the people cheering the most for her were the tweens and the 60 year olds. 

I put in my name for Champions semi-finale tickets cause it’s on a Sunday and don’t have to miss anymore school and work. Since it doesn’t air until January, do you think there will be a spoiler post here so I can tell you all about it?  I guess this new show is only judges votes? How are they going to keep the results secret for months?  If I have to sign a confidentiality agreement I will and not post anything but you know someone will. 

Apparently for a normal season judge cuts the show ends after the acts perform and the audience does not see the eliminations it's possible they do that here but obviously once they tape the semi final and final people will know who the eliminations are. Makes no sense to me. Maybe they will do what they did with Arnold celebrity apprentice they taped multiple endings and then it was revealed when the show aired. Obviously there's some missing info here.

14 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Perhaps Simon is signing Courtney to a Halloween Spooksville Soundtrack?  She can scream, so ...

I think Courtney has a lot of potential she has a strong powerful voice and if you look on YouTube she does sing ballads as well and has a vocal coach. I think if they train her properly and fine tune her a bit she could be successful. I also fully expect her to be in this champions thing. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lunula said:

Wikipedia now has Mel B, Simon, Howard Stern and Kelly Clarkson as judges with Mario Lopez and Sharon Osbourne hosting. 

That does not sound appealing.

And now it's back to just Mel B and Simon. Apparently there's some kind of wiki editing war going on. I guess the truth will come out in time. This is from a previous edit:

"Many rumors have come up about what the content of the show will be. First, a rumor circulated that Heidi Klum and Dana Carvey would be joining the panel. A later rumor states that Howard Stern would be returning, with Kelly Clarksonjoining, and Sharon Osbourne and Mario Lopez as hosts. One other rumor stated that season 13 fan favorite Mochi, a Japanese multimedia diablo artist, would participate."

Edited by Superclam