Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E22: Live Results Finale (Wednesday's Show)

• Start Topic

I thought Mel B. was going to enter a rehab program and work on her personal problems, whatever they really may be.  Conflicting gossip reports about her, but she seems to confirm that she has a problem with PTSD and wants help.  Although she's not my favorite judge and is annoying at times, I do wish her the best.

https://www.etonline.com/mel-b-explains-why-shes-really-checking-herself-into-rehab-108675

• Love 1

Of course when I saw the headlines about Michael Ketterer I had to run here and say wow, someone nailed it and said he wasn't as nice as he seemed! But I was still pretty surprised about it. And I'm still waiting on that reaction.gif of him coming in 5th because I missed that part of the show. I'm also so sad to have missed Hans! Would love to see him come back!

And reporting in from the average non-jaded viewer - my mom, who is normally really unimpressed with and bored with magic was hardcore rooting for Shin Lim. She was so happy he won! She adores Janis Joplin, liked Courtney but didn't think she was all that. She really liked Vicki Barbolak, more than Samuel. Go figure. But she reminds us of a family friend so that may be why. She thought all the singers were boring and definitely doesn't think someone should win for being a good person. Especially when they're not!

• Love 2
On 9/21/2018 at 4:20 PM, CelticBlackCat said:

Credit where credit is due:  One of you posters made a cryptic comment that MK really wasn't a nice guy.  I wanted to ask why they got that impression, but didn't.  Who was that poster?  I'll look around and post screen name unless you come forward.  Thanks!

I was the one who posted I wouldn't be surprised if Child Welfare found some of those zillion adopted kids chained to boxes in Ketterer's basement, and also posted again after the finale that he's not such a nice guy IMO. I don't remember anyone else speaking out against Saint Michael besides me. I waited weeks before posting those comments as I anticipated a big blow back. I've just known too many self-righteous Born Again Christians who were born again with severe birth defects.

16 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

He went from a smug expression when the camera panned the faces of the final 5 to such a shocked expression when he was eliminated in 5th place. It looked like it had never even occurred to him that he might not win this thing.

I'm obviously not a fan, but I saw an interview (Extra?) where the hosts said Tyra's announcing Michael being voted off in her Oprah voice: "and leaving now in fifth place is Michael KET-TER-TERRRRRRRRRR!" made it sound like he had won that round so yeah, he looked confused. But I wasn't looking at the tv when it happened so this is just spec based on Tyra's Oprah impersonation.

However, his announcement that HIS CONCERT at Notre Dame was SOLD OUT (no mention of Garth) after that makes me think my statement above is too nice. Yeah, the guy expected to win the whole thing. Jackass. I hope Garth cancels him. Although now I'm worried about those kids in his basement since his halo and angel wings have been repo'd.

22 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

Not like they're going to post a picture, but I'd want to know what a "red mark" actually means

If you have ever been given one, you know what a "red mark" is. But trust me, you really do NOT want one of your own.

Note that Wikipedia can be edited by different people which is why those judges keep changing. Some people are having some fun with it.

And now, here's AGT's Million Dollar Winner SHIM LIM on Access:

shim1.png

shim2.png

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 9

Looking up more about Ketterer's arrest, I came across this from Fox News:

"The father of six children was a fan favorite of judge Simon Cowell who suggested to country singer Garth Brooks that he should mentor Ketterer and possibly collaborate with him in the future. 

"Ketterer got his wish on Wednesday during the show's second finale episode when Brooks joined him on the "AGT" stage and the two performed a song called "Courage to Love," which Brooks wrote for the aspiring artist."

Fox needs a fact checker. A judge doesn't have a "fan favorite," it's just "favorite." And even though I watched the entire episode, I totally missed seeing Garth Brooks and Ketterer singing together. I recall Simon telling Brooks he needed to write a song for Ketterer, not to "mentor" or "collaborate" with him. I really missed a lot I guess.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, Kelloggirl said:

And I'm still waiting on that reaction.gif of him coming in 5th because I missed that part of the show.

Not a gif but here is a video of that segment.

37 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I've just known too many self-righteous Born Again Christians who were born again with severe birth defects.

Ha! I'll have to remember that line.

• Love 4
On 9/20/2018 at 11:38 PM, InternetToughGuy said:

There's another season premiering on January 1st - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Got_Talent:_The_Champions

It will feature notable contestants from season 13 and previous seasons of America's Got Talent alongside acts from Got Talent franchises worldwide.

So no different than any other season of AGT. Shame to see that Simon and Mel B are confirmed as judges. Really do like that rumor of Dana Carvey coming on board. That would be great. Wish they would go back down to 3 judges and a competent host.

Still super happy that Shin won. No controversy's, super talented, likable, and deserving. Would love to see him pop up on Fool Us again just to see what Penn has to say. Maybe he'll talk about it on his podcast.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm obviously not a fan, but I saw an interview (Extra?) where the hosts said Tyra's announcing Michael being voted off in her Oprah voice: "and leaving now in fifth place is Michael KET-TER-TERRRRRRRRRR!" made it sound like he had won that round so yeah, he looked confused. But I wasn't looking at the tv when it happened so this is just spec based on Tyra's Oprah impersonation

I'm not a Michael apologist, but I do think that he was genuinely confused the way Tyra announced 5th place.  In years past, other contestants have said that they can't hear the judge's feedback  very well, and I suspect he was having a hard time hearing what Tyra said, given the crowd noise.  It looked to me like he said "am I going home?" when she said his name.  I don't think it was in an "entitled" kind of way, but more of a confused kind of way.  Just my humble opinion.  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, lynxfx said:

So no different than any other season of AGT.

This made me laugh because: So true. Except maybe this time the show will be up front about where the contestants came from. It will be interesting to see if those who appeared on AGT before will be revealed as winners in other countries.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I consider something happening that was upsetting enough that bystanders called the cops and the wife having a visible mark on her body more than hearsay. I'm also not sure what details we need beyond that unless you're seriously trying to argue that there were some Gone Girl-style shenanigans in which she gave herself the mark to set Ketterer up. I am really comfortable not considering that a possibility right now.

There is no excuse that justifies a grown person hitting another person hard enough to leave a visible mark in an argument. 

Wasn't it the neighbor or someone who only heard what was going on and not an actual witness? What I was getting at with "she has a red mark" was it's so vague it could either mean "a mark from getting hit" or "a mark from grabbing her arm to avoid getting smacked" - not that I believe the latter is what happened, which I already said, but what happened hasn't been released yet, so it's logical to not write off any possibilities. Surely even if Ketterer isn't one of them, dismissing the possibility of his wife trying to hit him as silly only further embarrasses/belittles the actual male sufferers of spousal abuse?

14 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

If the judges decide the winner doesn't that take away from the whole premise of the show ?

If that defeats the premise, you'd wonder why the Dunkin Save ends up undoing the vote (which we are to believe is legitimate in the first place - I have doubts) every single week. America supposedly didn't want Daniel Emmet time and time again, yet much like a 5 year old, him being told "no" only served as fuel to stick around.

7 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I don't understand the logic of giving this girl a record deal. As everybody's been saying here all season, she's a novelty act. It's about the surprise of a "shy" girl coming out of her shell and having a fit all across the stage. When you take away that surprise, as well as the visual of the flailing, she's just a teenager screaming into a microphone. Who is going to buy or even stream that?

With the downfall of physical album sales, we can at least feel good knowing that she will make a pittance off streaming. I don't see her doing well at all - the finale was like 3 days ago and my memory is already getting fuzzy as to who the top 10 were, just imagine how fickle everyone else will be.

4 hours ago, Superclam said:

A later rumor states that Howard Stern would be returning, with Kelly Clarksonjoining, and Sharon Osbourne and Mario Lopez as hosts.

I remember thinking Sharon was an annoying judge back in 2011 - the only judges who are entertaining are the ones who offer blunt reviews. I miss Piers Morgan a lot. I hope Mario stays far away, since his hosting of X Factor in 2012 was a real snooze - he was in a good Lifetime Christmas movie last year, though.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, InternetToughGuy said:

Surely even if Ketterer isn't one of them, dismissing the possibility of his wife trying to hit him as silly only further embarrasses/belittles the actual male sufferers of spousal abuse?

I would never dismiss any possibility and will wait until all sides are heard before making a judgment on the situation.  However, I do believe that the police officers felt that it was warranted to arrest him given what they saw once upon the scene.  I will trust their judgment on why they did what they did.  Hopefully a judge can get it all sorted out.  

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I would never dismiss any possibility and will wait until all sides are heard before making a judgment on the situation.  However, I do believe that the police officers felt that it was warranted to arrest him given what they saw once upon the scene.  I will trust their judgment on why they did what they did.  Hopefully a judge can get it all sorted out.  

Some states have mandatory arrest laws; for instance, in NJ, one of the conditions of the mandatory arrest clause is if there is any sign of injury, regardless of severity, then the suspect will be arrested. I only googled quickly, but California apparently has a similar law.

• Love 4

dismissing the possibility of his wife trying to hit him as silly only further embarrasses/belittles the actual male sufferers of spousal abuse

That's ridiculous. Ketterer didn't even claim that. There's nothing belittling to actual male sufferers of spousal abuse about sticking with what's actually been reported rather than indulging in fictitious scenarios. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

That's ridiculous. Ketterer didn't even claim that. There's nothing belittling to actual male sufferers of spousal abuse about sticking with what's actually been reported rather than indulging in fictitious scenarios. 

Fair enough. There's probably not much else to say/speculate about until more details come out, so I'd think any further meandering of mine would be pointless.

• Love 3

If you were uncomfortable with Ketterer, it might have had to do with his microexpressions when he got news.  He may have been trying to be just happy to be there, but at some point he may have started believing his PR--and I don't know of anyone who could have lived up to the hype the show was giving him.

I'm sure the producers will learn a valuable lesson about over-hyping and sob--hehehe, just kidding!  But they might throw a little money at a background check, if they didn't do that this time.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

If you were uncomfortable with Ketterer, it might have had to do with his microexpressions when he got news.  He may have been trying to be just happy to be there, but at some point he may have started believing his PR--and I don't know of anyone who could have lived up to the hype the show was giving him.

I'm sure the producers will learn a valuable lesson about over-hyping and sob--hehehe, just kidding!  But they might throw a little money at a background check, if they didn't do that this time.

/headnod

There was always something about him that I didn't like. I realized that he had little to do with the editing or his package or even Simon's obsession with him, but what he also couldn't control were his actual human emotions and reactions. He was often quick enough to cover them, but not fast enough. 

As for the article, in the state of California, if a police office sees signs of trauma or injury they are legally bound to make an arrest and not go by the accounts of the people there. And, if you know anything about the Bystander Effect, you know that the likelihood of someone calling the cops or intervening when abuse is suspected, is low. For it to be bad enough for someone to react, it wasn't just a yelling match. 

But here is what I wanna know...where were the kids? 

• Love 6

I was wondering where the children were too.  They were trotted out for the show for backstage photo ops.  I was imagining they had a relative (probably not a hired nanny, but could have been one paid for by AGT) to take care of the kids in a different room or rooms.  Remember, this DV incident took place at the hotel they were staying at for AGT.  Either the front desk was called and then they called the police, or another guest was so alarmed that they bypassed a front desk complaint and called 911.  We don't know what condition the wife was in when they arrived.  Was she crying, scared, subdued, normal and wondering what the fuss is all about?  We don't know anything other than she had a red mark somewhere on her body and he was taken away in handcuffs.

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, InternetToughGuy said:

"It will feature notable contestants from season 13 and previous seasons of America's Got Talent alongside acts from Got Talent franchises worldwide."

Are they really bringing back contestants from the season that JUST ENDED? What a truly terrible idea. As if we didn't get enough of Michael Ketterer and Courtney Hadwin being shoved down throats. Will Daniel Emmett get yet another "second chance?" Will we have to see Vicki Barbolak naked as she gets more and more desperate? Even if they use acts that were eliminated before the finals, it was a horrible season and there isn't anyone I feel a need to see again so soon. Or ever.

Presenting acts from other Got Talent franchises is a much better idea. Hopefully they will not all be singers. Over the years, AGY has actually had a number of performers who have made the international Got Talent circuit, including Sacred Rhianna and the Philippine dance troupe from this season. The Professional Regurgitator is another one that comes to mind, as I remember reading that AGT was his fourth or fifth Got Talent show.  So we might as well see them here first before they get to AGT.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, Kelloggirl said:

Thank you! I think he may even have mouthed the words "I'm going home?!?!?"

Looked like it, but the way she said his name maybe he was just confused. She seemed to have forgotten for a second that she wasn't announcing the winner.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, bluepiano said:

Are they really bringing back contestants from the season that JUST ENDED? What a truly terrible idea. As if we didn't get enough of Michael Ketterer and Courtney Hadwin being shoved down throats. Will Daniel Emmett get yet another "second chance?" Will we have to see Vicki Barbolak naked as she gets more and more desperate? Even if they use acts that were eliminated before the finals, it was a horrible season and there isn't anyone I feel a need to see again so soon. Or ever.

Presenting acts from other Got Talent franchises is a much better idea. Hopefully they will not all be singers. Over the years, AGY has actually had a number of performers who have made the international Got Talent circuit, including Sacred Rhianna and the Philippine dance troupe from this season. The Professional Regurgitator is another one that comes to mind, as I remember reading that AGT was his fourth or fifth Got Talent show.  So we might as well see them here first before they get to AGT.

Apparently Courtney just signed a record deal with Simon's label - I can't tell whether that means she won't be back or if she will, since acts with record deals seem to be written as "underdogs" that need support. Perhaps The Regurgitator is just going around the world looking for a stage that won't trigger his nervous stomach so he can show off his real act (that act was hard to watch anyways).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Looked like it, but the way she said his name maybe he was just confused. She seemed to have forgotten for a second that she wasn't announcing the winner

I never liked Michael, but in this particular case I cut him some slack. I can't blame home for being confused because of the excitement with which Tyra shouted "Michael Ketererrrrr!!"

For most of the season she's been announcing people who are moving on, not leaving the show, so maybe she got  mixed up. Or maybe since she's announced him so many times as going though that when she saw his name she just automatically went into "super excited" mode. Whatever the reason, that was really bad announcing.

• Love 3

I think Tyra was confused, because she immediately said what a surprise/shock (I forget which word she used)  it was that he was eliminated.   Which pissed me off.  there were  finalists at that point.  Tyra was only expressing surprise that Michael didn't win.  

I wonder if SImon is now happy that "America"  didn't vote the way he told them to.  And I wonder if that Garth Brooks collaboration will actually happen.  

• Love 2

A little late to weigh in but -- very deserving win for Shin Lim.  I thought all the singers in the final were nothing special, but the one that bugged the most (because I mostly tuned out Michael) was Daniel.  On the one hand, it's always refreshing when someone cares about opera on these shows. On the other hand, I thought he was so mediocre.  So I was really curious how it would be when he performed with someone GREAT..  Also, Placido Domingo is such a mentor for young singers, I was curious what he would feel about Daniel.

Their duet told me everything I wanted to know. I was shocked that Domingo -- always so generous -- completely oversang him. But with his comments to Tyra afterwards, I think it was because he wanted the AGT audiences to see how it was -really- done. When she asked what he thought about Daniel, he really struggled to be positive. "..whatever else, he's a real showman" while talking about his own opera singing competition that gets really fantastic new talent.  He likes popular music and crossover performers, but I felt he was completely unimpressed, understandably so.

And Mel B? Could she sound any more stupid? "I just get goosebumps the way you roll your 'r's'!" "Spanish!!!"   

• Love 3

I was on anther site and people were assuming michael grabbed his wifes arm and and the red mark on her wrist or arm..but someone posted that the red mark was on her FACE.......I wonder as well where were the kids.....it's a hotel people would call the front desk to complain of noise...so somehthing  was going on enough that that someone called the police.....

this happened the day after the finale....he was lined up to perform at the garth brooks concert...what the heck happened.....maybe he really thought he was going to win and didn't take it well