Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E22: Live Results Finale (Wednesday's Show)

• Start Topic

Akbar was stunned into silence.  Shin is the true Ninja Warrior in order for that to happen. 

I was more than satisfied with this top 3 for a change. That never happens anymore! 

Happy for Shin and Zurcaroh immediately hoisting him up was the perfect touch.  Thank you Ameriker for making sure Michael didn't win. 

• Love 16

My faith in humanity has been restored.

Well, at least when it comes to reality show voting.

Suck it, Simon.

Suck it, Howie.

When will you learn that the over the top pimping will eventually backfire?

Edited by lb60
  • Love 16

HOLY SHIT. 

My faith in the people who watch this show and vote has been completely restored. Here I was, ready to be all cynical and crabby, and I would have been happy with anyone in the top three winning. 

(But Tyra (1) personal space and (2) don’t thank people for everything they’ve done for Tourette’s.) 

• Love 11

What an upset. The chosen ones barely broke the top five. I thought MK would at least get more votes than the comedian.  

I would have been happy with either Shin Lim or Zucaroh.  It was a toss up for me. Both worthy of the win. Great ending to the season. 

• Love 13

I'm a little late with my notes while tuning in:

So it took an email to Garth Brooks for him to write a song for Saint Michael instead of the episode shout out. Boy has Michael been pimped out than many other AGT contestants. I'd love to see that email. I wonder if Garth got paid. Either way, I'm glad they waited until the results for it to be revealed, because if Garth had done it for Michael in the finals, he may have received a serge of votes. I could be wrong.

I don't remember the song. I probably would have if Garth sang it himself.

Hans...can you be AGT's new host? You can perform your act during the fall and the winter. But Tyra did give us Zurcaroh...

Lindsey Sterling and Brian King Joseph (and Duo Transcend). I loved them together. They played off each other well, and I loved how they shared the stage. Brian's smile as he hugged Lindsey...Aw! He seemed so happy to be playing along with her.

Zurcaroh. I'd fly to Vegas to see them. I usually don't travel to see acts, but I'd travel to see them.

Zurcaroh vs. Duo Transcend - Zurcaroh goes through. Given that they were put against Duo Transcend, I knew Zurcaroh was going through. Happy with the results.

Brian King Joseph vs. Glennis Grace - Even though Glennis was in the Dunkin' Save last week, I was unsure about this one. But Brian goes through. Grace is a powerful singer, but I am glad that Brian moved forward.

Daniel Emmet vs. Shin Lim - As soon as they called Daniel's name, I knew he was out. I knew even before he was put against Shim.

Samuel J. Comroe vs. Vikki Barbolak - I had an "Oh S***!" moment when they were put together. Samuel was in the Dunkin' Save, whereas Vikki was never in that position. Out of the two of them, I prefer Samuel.

Courtney Hadwin vs. Michael Ketter - I was shocked and not surprised at the same time. Shocked because from the beginning Courtney seemed to be the fore-ordained winner. But I guess her schtick got old. Not surprised because Michal got pimped out hard. From his story, his Golden Buzzer, getting switched from the first Live's and being moved to the third round of Live's, him always being placed in the Pimp Spot or near the Pimp Spot, Simon's tears, Simon calling Garth Brooks out to write a song for him, to the "Angel on Earth" edit.

Well, we got to see Howie sweat and Simon silently pray to the Heavens.

Top Five

5th: Michael Ketterer. Shocked again, yet satisfied. I thought he might win after Courtney was eliminated. Not for his singing, but because of his character. That's mainly what's been talked about.

A singer's not going to win this year. For me that kind of makes up for this lackluster season. And the fact that Human Fountain, PAC and Yumbo Dump was brought into the Live's at the expense of more deserving acts.

4th: Samuel J. Comroe. I kind of knew in the back of my mind that he was fourth. He was gracious though.

3rd: Brian King Joseph. I knew that he wasn't going to win, but I'm happy that he made it as far as he did, even if he did get the Death Spot at the finals yesterday.

I'm happy with the top two. I want Zurcaroh, but I'll be happy with whoever wins.

WINNER: Shin Lim! Yay! So happy for him. I loved how gracious Zurcaroh was, embracing him and with his Victory Lift. I was moved by his tears.

I'll say it again, seeing this top three made this lackluster season worth watching.

Best of luck to everyone. Congratulations to Shin!

And to all of the posters. Thank you for your snark and humour. That was what I looked forward to after every episode. It also shone a light with this somewhat dull season (that ended on a high note)!

Until next year. Or if any of you have the same guilty pleasure that I do with "Dancing with the Stars" I'll see you on that board!

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
  • Love 11
  • One last night of snark...whatever will I do? Oh yeah, Dancing with the Stars starts next week.
  • Jeez, it's KISS and I can barely hear them. Maybe they can hold an America's Got Talented Sound People competition before next season?
  • What on earth is Tyra wearing?
  • I will not miss the Dunkin' Lounge. I could go for a donut, though.
  • "I'm a Mess"...what a fitting song for this season.
  • Glennis got some sparkly pants, there.
  • I like puns, too, Heidi. But you can't deliver it like "HEY I'M SAYING A PUN!" Subtlety is key.
  • Nobody needs to see Mel B. do standup, show.
  • I almost like Mel's blue dress. If it just had, y'know, shoulders, and a skirt that was a solid piece of fabric. 
  • Mel's set was just (uni)corny. (Though she looked kinda cute in the outfit, I'll admit. I'll even admit to a mild chuckle at "Pumpkin Spice.")
  • Daniel's not a bad-looking guy by any means, but "super hot"? Nah.
  • Is Vicki wearing a dress or another beach coverup?
  • David Spade seems rather subdued...
  • "Our singing daddy"? Really?
  • Is it just me or is Michael totally off key on those lower/softer notes?
  • Nice song. I'd rather have heard Garth sing it.
  • I vote for Hans for host next season.
  • Card Ninja Warrior? That was bad.
  • I saw Lindsey Stirling a few years ago, in a standing-only concert venue near where I live (I only went last-minute because my friend's husband was sick and she didn't want to waste his ticket). I was in the middle-ish and hardly saw her at all because of the Jersey-Shore dudebro who started out behind me, gradually shoved his way in front of me during the opening act (I may or may not have "accidentally" elbowed him in the side a couple times to get him to move the hell out of my space). I saw more of the actual performance by turning around and watching the phone screen of the guy who was taking video behind me. The music was good, though.
  • I always find the loose strings on his bow distracting.
  • Always amazed at how strong that kid's core muscles must be for her to be picked up by her feet like that and keep her body perfectly straight.
  • Shut up, Tyra.
  • Even saying goodbye to Glennis, they gotta bring up her son.
  • Finally! Some results!

Spoiler

Top Five (in order of announcement):

1. Zurcaroh (Finished in second place.)
  2. Brian King Joseph (Finished in 3rd place.)
  3. Shin Lim (Winner!!!)
  4. Samuel J. Comroe (Finished in 4th place.) 
  5. Michael Ketterer (Finished in 5th place.)

Bye bye (in order of announcement):

1. Duo Transcend
  2. Glennis Grace
  3. Daniel Emmet
  4. Vicki Barbolak
  5. Courtney Hadwin
  • I am proud to say that I correctly predicted which of each pairing would go into the top 5 and which would go home.
  • Get off the floor, Ketterer.
  • I think he could have done more. Like, maybe sing something interesting?
  • Is she gonna give every one of them an awkward pep talk before she lets them go?
  • Next year: "New talent! New stars!" New host? New judges? Please?
  • Well, it's been...a season. This place made it fun. I will miss you all! Maybe I'll see ya'll on another board somewhere.
  • Love 6

Most entertaining moment of the night (besides seeing Hans again <3 ), watching Simon and Howie realize that Michael and Courtney were up against each other and only one of them could go through. Take that, manipulators!

I was very happy with the top 3, but was really pulling for Brian King Joseph. 

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

WINNER! Shin Lim! Yay! So happy for him. I loved how gracious Zurcaroh was him embracing him and with his Victory Lift.

Woot!  I would've been happy with either of them winning.  Kudos to Zurcaroh for such an act of kindness to Shin Lim.  I hope they have success with their act.  They're amazing too.

• Love 8

I'm waiting for them to announce "Oops, Tyra read it wrong, Michael won" on twitter any second now, because I can't believe the show actually got it this spot on for once. Absolutely AMAZING results. It has been a ROUGH, frustrating season to get through at times, but MAN was it all worth it in the end. Well almost all of it (nothing can erase Vicki's bikini from my mind). 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Frankenstein123 said:

I'm waiting for them to announce "Oops, Tyra read it wrong, Michael won" on twitter any second now, because I can't believe the show actually got it this spot on for once. Absolutely AMAZING results. It has been a ROUGH, frustrating season to get through at times, but MAN was it all worth it in the end. Well almost all of it (nothing can erase Vicki's bikini from my mind). 

If this happened, I would have died a thousand deaths. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

Until next year. Or if any of you have the same guilty pleasure that I do with "Dancing with the Stars" I'll see you on that board!

I'll be there! I don't think I actually commented last season but I was reading. Usually I text-snark with my former roommate/watching buddy.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Frankenstein123 said:

I'm waiting for them to announce "Oops, Tyra read it wrong, Michael won" on twitter any second now, because I can't believe the show actually got it this spot on for once.

I like this show for the variety of talent that is showcased, not so much for the singing, well, except for Darci Lynne, but those were her puppets singing.  They were singing, right?  lol.  We have so many singing competition shows that I have grown tired of them, so it's nice to see AGT feature such unique acts on their show.   YMMV.

• Love 4

I watched last night's show on Hulu this afternoon and FF through all the backstory, and didn't even watch the last three or four acts at all. I caught Shin's act tonight (with Matt and Akbar--hey, Tyra, maybe you could have practiced his name a few more times before the finale?!) while flipping channels, which was fantastic. I don't know how he does what he does, but MAN he is great at doing it. However, I didn't want to watch the entire show, because I was POSITIVE that Michael or Courtney would be the winner. I'm relieved to hear that Shin won--now I can watch the episode tomorrow without dreading how it ends.

Edited by dvr devotee
Forgot a thought!
  • Love 7

Agree with everyone, I am happy that Shin Lim won!  He seemed truly amazed, and I loved that Zucaroah lifted him up into a Victory carry(good thing they didn't toss him :)  I would have been happy with any of the top 3 winning.  Maybe Shin can join Matt Franco's show....he was another young man who was a really good & fun to watch magician.  I will be over at the DWTS board :)

• Love 5

I liked the Top 4.  I guess Shin's magic kind of escaped me.  I tended to get bored but I didn't hate his win, even though I probably would have been happier with anyone else of the top four---yes, even the comedian. I think being funny in a 2-4? minute set is incredibly difficult and I was impressed at how yesterday's was constructed.  It even got me to chuckle a few times which, again, I think is tough to do like that.

• Love 3

I was so happy with the top 5! Almost no singers, and then quickly, the singer was gone!(Did anyone else think he looked surprised that he was in 5th place?) The one time I was kinda' worried was during Howie's comments when he was telling Samuel what a good father and son he was....was really worried he was going to say and "Holy Ghost" and have Samuel take over that role from Michael!

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

I was so shocked that Michael came in fifth after he was clearly the producer favorite that I forgot to comment on how shocked HE was he came in fifth. 

Ha! I forgot to mention that as well! Quite the contrast with how the other people in the top five graciously reacted.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I liked the Top 4.  I guess Shin's magic kind of escaped me.  I tended to get bored but I didn't hate his win, even though I probably would have been happier with anyone else of the top four---yes, even the comedian. I think being funny in a 2-4? minute set is incredibly difficult and I was impressed at how yesterday's was constructed.  It even got me to chuckle a few times which, again, I think is tough to do like that.

Both Shin Lin and Zukaroah bored me to tears.

But then, I liked Vicky and Courtney.  Oh, well.

• Love 1

Best jidges entrance evah.  KISS is often ridiculed and that's fine.  But, their classics are not mocked.  Detroit Rock City is an iconic song and it set a perfect mood for the celebration of a season and the crowning of a new winner.   

I genuinely laughed at the "Pumpkin Spice" joke.  I also really enjoy seeing Mel being uncomfortable in an uncontrolled spotlight.  She's just Mel from the Midlands, like most any of us.  Her cringing at the absurdity of the moment in which she found herself was endearing, to me.  Of course, it was all a set-up.  She had any number of hours to prepare and/or rehearse.  Yet, when it was "go" time, her celebrity facade cratered.  I wish her all the best as she faces whatever personal demons she now encounters.

Shin's trick was wonderful.  As with a couple of other tricks he performed on AGT, the true breadth of what had happened was lost with Tyra babbling, and the Director choosing reaction shots over Shin's attempts to explain missed intricacies.   Yet and still, he rightly won.  :)

Good for Courtney that she had a capable band like The Struts backing her.  I thought it was her best performance on AGT.    

Finally, way to go, Ameriker!  You got it right again.  I was worried about y'all in the LIVE show votes, but ultimately, you withstood SYCO's manipulations.  And thank all y'all in this forum.   Smart, sophisticated, earthy, funny, and yes, caring.  God bless. 

• Love 5

The number of tricks that can be done on a bar is evidently limited, as this thing is a snooze regardless of the actual talent behind it. 

This is the one thing I find frustrating about Duo Transcend. The number of tricks is not limited, so I don't know why they perform the same ones over and over. Some full-time circus/variety pros build one or two acts that they perfect and then they just do variations of that act over and over because they're performing for a new audience. I wonder if that's the issue with Duo Transcend... maybe they just haven't needed to change up their repertoire before and overestimated how much adding gimmicks like fire, blindfolds, and the roller skates would affect things.

Another issue they may have is with the (presumed) weight disparity between the two. IMHO, the most innovative aerial duets involve the duet alternating basing and flying.

• Love 4

Knowing how many stinky groupies Gene Simmons and co. have had sex with, if the band name KISS was an invitation, I'm sure everyone would decline without a second thought. Putting a band as the opening act is a surefire way to make nobody care, since it's merged with the opening credits, it's more like "the show is starting" than "Oh wow, KISS".

Bebe Rexha seems like a fake "big name", since she is always in company with other low tier celebrities and I haven't heard of any of her songs, unless one of the similar sounding whiny girls moaning on the radio was her. Glennis' voice sounded a lot better than her too - she should put out an album....sorry, I meant a 12th album. I suppose "popular in the Netherlands" is like the equivalent of winning a gold medal in the Special Olympics, so perhaps having so many albums means nothing if only 200 people know who you are.

Heidi is not funny. EVER. All of her jumping up and down, screaming, and random dancing make rage build up inside, the likes you should only see in Dragon Ball Z. I'm willing to bet that the unfunny puns she has mentioned throughout the season were ghostwritten by someone who is a peg ahead of her in the category of unfunny (Vicki).

I thought Samuel saying "Mel, you can do my set" meant either reciting his routine from yesterday or a new one. Instead we're "treated" to a reading of jokes from the public domain. I highly doubt anyone in the audience laughed at the "fungi" joke - everyone has heard of it. I wonder if I'm the only one who thought Mel wearing that onesie looked severely aged in the face - I'm imagining the makeup department have spray canisters of foundation like what you see in the commercials for Mayco car painting. The Pumpkin Spice joke was OK, like where you don't laugh, but give a nod of respect.

Daniel has a good facial structure, but short hair and a plain suit always make people look like featureless nothings. I don't remember who Daniel was singing with, since I'm not an opera fan, but more so because his name sounded like it was 2000 years old. They announced that whoever it was has a new album coming out - I thought every opera person sang the same song this whole time, so this is news to me.

It's a good thing that this comedy routine was setup to have David make all the jokes, since he is funny and Vicki is not. I wonder how much David's short stature impacted his need to compensate with jokes - I'm a manlet as well and find myself poking fun at it all the time. On another note, since this routine was basically all about David, doesn't that expose Vicki as talentless? I guess since there's no more voting, it doesn't matter anyways.

I was paying so little attention to Michael, that I didn't notice if he was performing by himself or if Garth was there. Country music seems to have yet to invent a song topic outside of trucks and Sunday barbecues, but I would have rather had Garth sing it (as would everyone else).

That vignette of acts from this season wasn't good; it's something American Idol does too and it's always a snooze. I can remember what my old friends from elementary school got for Christmas in Grade 5, yet found myself going "who?" to a few of the acts in this video. I'm sure the starving people in third world countries would really sympathize with my suffering "this TV show is *sniff so terrible". I feel like I need a hug after every episode, it's so painful to sit through.

Shin's trick was good, but the segment overall was bad. The guy in the blue suit kept making "jokes?" and looking at the audience for approval, to which none came - the damn fool didn't realize this was about Tyra.

I remember quite a few years ago when Lindsey Sterling was getting popular on YouTube and that was back when making a crossover into mainstream entertainment was seen as a big deal. Now watching other people make faces to other people's videos is mainstream entertainment - what a world. Performance was OK.

Zurcaroh was fine. I think their act is better when it has more dancing and is less focused on throwing girls like footballs.

Glennis finishing in a low place was pretty much a guarantee, so I had no emotion during it.

Shin winning is fine, but for whatever reason, when somebody becomes popular or everybody's favorite, I usually turn on them. I don't know why that is, but when it comes to YouTubers or bands or whatever, it's like I find the audience annoying, so I then start seeing that annoying quality in the creator because all these annoying people like them. I don't think my life is the Truman Show, so perhaps someone else gets it.

Edited addition: As for next season, I hope Howie leaves because he's turned into the world's smallest violin player, with being the soft spoken voice in all the highlight packages "with what we've just witnessed tonight...you've become a star". It seems he's trying to inscribe an epitaph with every critique. Simon is OK, but with his asskissing of Michael Ketterer, we've gotten a taste as to how annoying he can be. I'm torn on Heidi and Mel, because as much as I hate them, I am curious to see how much more aged they will look a year from now (I hope I'm not the only one who finds my jabs at them to be funny). Usually, only a type 2 diabetic would say they want to eat 6 feet of chocolate, but Tyra is a goddess - her attempts at being cute usually succeed, which is not because she's hot, since plenty of "pretty faces" manage to be annoying in everything they do. Hopefully singing is outlawed next year, as are all acts with a monkey bar and pretentious light shows.

What other TV shows do y'all post about? Hell's Kitchen is probably the next one I'll post in, since it premieres next week.

Edited by InternetToughGuy
I'm dislecsik
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

Most entertaining moment of the night (besides seeing Hans again <3 ), watching Simon and Howie realize that Michael and Courtney were up against each other and only one of them could go through. Take that, manipulators!

When the two comedians were paired, leaving Michael and Courtney, I had a thought that they might be pulling a fake out and saying neither comedian was going through. That would've been really cruel, but I just could not believe that one of the two Chosen Ones wasn't making the Top 5.

Courtney Hadwin, coming soon to a Holiday Inn lounge in Scotland (or whatever their equivalent is.) Because I think not even making the Top Five puts the kibosh on whatever big career plans her handlers had. Hopefully now she can have a normal adolescence. She's still young, and maybe some day she will actually learn to sing instead of being exhibited as some kind of freak. (Sorry, it's an ugly word, but to me that's how she was marketed. It was never about her singing or dancing. It was about a shy 14 year old who goes crazy when the music starts).

Michael Ketterer is not a good singer. Period. Hope he enjoys his appearance at Notre Dame. I mean his "sold out" appearance. (He  sure sounded a little cocky for a saint).

I never saw the charm or magic or awe-inspiring love for all humanity that Zucaroh is supposed to have. To me it was an average dance troupe with a lot of little girls getting thrown in the air. (Or maybe the same little girl getting thrown in the air a lot of times. I couldn't follow much of what was happening).

Glad Brian King Joseph finished higher than the two unfunny comedians, but his music bored me. I felt like he played the same pseudo-Yanni number every week, overwhelmed with light effects and background music.

I thought the trick Shin did tonight was one of his best, because it didn't rely on sleight-of-hand cards appearing and disappearing, which though amazing, was getting repetitive. I think he's up there with the three or four most deserving winners of this show ever. (And thankfully breaks the string of little girl winners, which in a way Zucaroh would not have).

It's probably too much to hope for, but maybe the finals results will be a wake-up call to AGT to go back to being something like a real talent competition, and not a soap opera with endless producer manipulation around sob stories. (Often a complete invention, like Glennis being torn from her child). That would make this show watchable again. As would getting some new judges, because this group is so played out and going through the motions.

Was Mel B. really unsure whether Daniel was singing in Spanish or Italian? Jeez. She had a really rough season.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6

* So this was just a 2-hour variety show, including many self-promotions, endorsements, and product placements... along with 10 minutes of competition decisions.

* As many others did, correctly picked the winner... The "Sexy" Magician. Even though he was not my favorite, there really wasn't any other mass fan favorite than him.

* Was Tyra aware that someone stepped on-- and tore off-- half of her dress? Poor thing.

* I miss Simon's "hardness". He lost it in the two finals shows.

* Ketterer's face when he was selected 5th place (bottom top 5)... priceless... "MEEEEEEE ?????"

* This season was an audio MESS. Bad remote engineering and mixing, and NBC's curious low audio output of each broadcast. 

* If I tune in in 2019, I pray for: Get rid of Tyra (and her annoying Oprah Bellow). Get rid of Mel (and her annoying flailing arms). Reformat the structure so things move along much quicker. Please... PLEASE.

* It's been fun commenting with some of you this season... I would know, since I'm a gay male commenter! Ta ta!!  

Edited by Stompster
  • Love 5

Yay!  Shin Lim for the win!  Congratulations to this fine young man who is an amazing magician!

Unpopular opinion:  The final two should have been Shin and Brian.  I wanted to know what Zucaroh was still doing on the stage.  I admit I missed the past few episodes and only watched the ones I was interested in on YouTube, but I found their act to be repetitive moves but with different costumes and set designs.

I was truly stunned that Courtney didn't win because I bought in to all the "she's gonna win" hype.  I am thrilled at the result on this account though.  I don't think I have ever seen such a mockery of rock 'n' rollery done on a stage as her fronting for the band The Struts.  That was painful to watch.

Had to remind myself that second place doesn't mean anything, that it's all about the first place being the WIN and everyone else gets to go on their merry ways to pursue whatever dreams and careers they can with their AGT exposure.  And, apparently, with the help of Simon, some special contestants get songs written for then by top established artists.  I still wanted Brian King Joseph to get the satisfaction of being the last to leave the stage though.

I thought, although it was supposed to be a funny line from Vicki, asking for the golf cart was tacky.  When she and Samuel were together, I'm glad she got eliminated first.  It seemed to me that even with his affliction, Samuel J. Comroe had his shit together far more than Vicki did many times.  The shorter and shorter dresses, the bathing suit, the kissing up to Simon and intimating they could have something going, were all just yuck.  I also found it annoying that she would just repeat the same things while bobbing her head up and down with the "am i right" signal.  I wanted to like Vicki Barbolak from the beginning because I'm in her age bracket and live in San Diego (south of Oceanside, and in the same county), but if I never hear Trailer Nasty again it will be too soon.  Enough of that.

Glennis Grace can now go back home to the Netherlands and be a working mom, or stay-at-home mom, or whatever she wants and record album number 12 for her country, or get a job on a cruise ship.  She is a talented singer, but her song choices and persona never grabbed me.

I guess the America's votes really count and Simon & Co. can only manipulate to a certain degree.  I'm still rooting for the cats!

Next year, Hans should be host!  He and his act were a hoot and I love him.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

I thought, although it was supposed to be a funny line from Vicki, asking for the golf cart was tacky.

It may have gone over if half the audience hadn't dissociated just before she took the stage yesterday; most people probably didn't know what she was talking about.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, InternetToughGuy said:

Shin winning is fine, but for whatever reason, when somebody becomes popular or everybody's favorite, I usually turn on them. I don't know why that is, but when it comes to YouTubers or bands or whatever, it's like I find the audience annoying, so I then start seeing that annoying quality in the creator because all these annoying people like them. I don't think my life is the Truman Show, so perhaps someone else gets it.

I totally agree with this. I think Shin is fine, but his fans on social media are terrible. The shots some of them took at Courtney fans and Courtney herself were just uncalled for and on reddit there was a campaign to vote for Shin as an anti Courtney vote. This then like you said puts a damper on the creator because they attract these annoying people. While I think he is deserving I wish he would do more than just card tricks.

2 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

Ha! I forgot to mention that as well! Quite the contrast with how the other people in the top five graciously reacted.

I guess he started believing all the hype, and expected to be handed the title, while bathed in white light and lifted heavenward by a team of angels. For a saint he looked pretty pissed. I also thought it was weird that on the finals show he was the only one who performed alone. Like no mere mortal was worthy of sharing the stage with him. They were pimping him right to the end.

23 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

I thought, although it was supposed to be a funny line from Vicki, asking for the golf cart was tacky.  When she and Samuel were together, I'm glad she got eliminated first.  It seemed to me that even with his affliction, Samuel J. Comroe had his shit together far more than Vicki did many times.  The shorter and shorter dresses, the bathing suit, the kissing up to Simon and intimating they could have something going, were all just yuck.  I also found it annoying that she would just repeat the same things while bobbing her head up and down with the "am i right" signal.  I wanted to like Vicki Barbolak from the beginning because I'm in her age bracket and live in San Diego (south of Oceanside, and in the same county), but if I never hear Trailer Nasty again it will be too soon.  Enough of that.

I didn't  mind the golf cart crack, but otherwise I think you really nailed it about Vickie. That "am I right" shtick is something you expect from an amateur or young comic who lacks confidence. It's pretty lame coming from someone who's supposed to be a 20 year veteran stand-up. Along with the other things you mentioned (especially the bathing suit) it all reeked of desperation. And the "Trailer Nasty" bit didn't seem appropriate coming from a woman who burst into tears every time she got a compliment.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 7

Was KISS ever a "cool" band or have they always been "that thing my Dad likes", even 40 years ago? I initially thought they were tarnishing some of their "cred" by appearing on a talent show such as this, but they've been on Idol as well.

I forgot to say that Courtney's performance was a total blur of screams, yelps, "I stepped on a nail" bellows, etc.. I was thinking "damn, that singer from The Black Crows looks great for his age" before finding out it was some newer band. Shame on me for thinking they got another semi-big name for this.

Bebe Rexha can occasionally sound like she has a decent singing voice, but she was barely singing tonight. Maybe she was trying to give the spotlight to Glennis, but IMO her voice (Glennis) was way too overbearing and harsh for the song being sung.

Damn, Heidi really is annoying, isn't she. Hopefully I'm not one of the few who think this way, but I've got to wonder what quality she actually brings to the show when she's not funny in any measure, intelligent, articulate, or critical. Mel B's standup was another stupid time filler; I hoped she had actually prepared a comedy routine, but that would imply effort went into that segment. On a side note, why do so many women think animal themed onesies are cute to wear? (also, Tyra 'Is-Hot' Banks is usually dressed pretty well IMO and catches a lot of flack here, which I don't get)

Daniel and the other opera singer did good, though I find it hard to differentiate opera songs from each other, so I'll just say their incomprehensible moans were pleasant to hear.

Wow, the night and day difference between David Spade and the comedians this season was incredible. Of course, there's no shame in not being as good as a 20+ year veteran and celebrity, but his delivery was great. He was so lackadaisical while talking, but it worked. While the material wasn't epic or anything - wow, actual jokes! It's funny how Vicki had no part in the jokes apart from setting up his punchlines, which is about where she belongs.

Garth Brooks probably had that song stashed away for months or years and they portrayed it like his sole mission for the previous few weeks was to craft Michael the perfect sonnet in his bunk with an old lantern as his only illumination. Simon's biggest successes over the recent years have been with assembling groups of teenage/early 20s pop singers, so I don't understand his devotion to Michael Ketterer unless the public is supposed to "have faith" that there are 3 other heartthrob deities dancing with him on the stage. Garth's song was probably the best he's sounded all season, though. If it was like Idol where they did a coronation song on the last voting night, he possibly could have won or at least gone farther than fifth.

What makes more sense than putting together two hosts (?) of a show called American Ninja Warrior and have them sit at a table watching a card trick? Dramatic flair and the epic buildup does indeed reveal that yes, HIS CARD was THE CARD. It was a good trick, but at some point, what do you have to expect the result to be every time?

Lindsey Stirling and Brian were pretty good. This show tends to throw in a danger act to the mix when music acts are performing on the finale, just to make sure everyone gets to do something, but it was kind of a poor fit and was like kids yelling at their parents "watch me dive!" at the pool. Somehow, watching the violinists move their arms was more entertaining.

Zucaroh was nothing special, I don't get the love. Dancers who do similar moves in groups of 6 never make it this far and are always told they have to step it up, yet Zucaroh does the same group choreography set to Lion King-esque jungle music and grunting are told they're inspirational.

It wasn't exactly going out on a limb to say Shin had a foot in the race all the way to the finals, nor was the deck stacked against him to win. (many bad puns) I already thought he was going to win, though Zucaroh getting that far was a surprise.

As far as finales go, this one felt like a bingo hall show. Same with the whole season, it was one of the worst I've ever seen. With that said, let the countdown to the Winter special begin! (I can't remember what it's called, which must reveal how low my enthusiasm really is)

Edit: I said "20+ year veteran and celebrity" about David Spade, forgetting that Vicki is supposedly 20+ years into her career. Jesus! (not you, Michael)

Edited by Neet
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, InternetToughGuy said:

It may have gone over if half the audience hadn't dissociated just before she took the stage yesterday; most people probably didn't know what she was talking about.

Tyra looked uncomfortable with her request.  Like Ms. Banks will be running it by corporate.  ROTFLMAO.  Cracked me up when Tyra hustled her off the stage!

5 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

I guess he started believing all the hype, and expected to be handed the title, while bathed in white light and lifted heavenward by a team of angels. For a saint he looked pretty pissed. I also thought it was weird that he was the performed alone, like no mere mortal was worthy of sharing the stage with him. They were pimping him right to the end.

I didn't  mind the golf cart crack, but otherwise I think you really nailed it about Vickie. That "am I right" shtick is something you expect from an amateur or young comic who lacks confidence. It's pretty lame coming from someone who's supposed to be a 20 year veteran stand-up. Along with the other things you mentioned (especially the bathing suit) it all reeked of desperation to get laughs. And the "Trailer Nasty" bit didn't go at all with a woman who burst into tears every time she got a compliment.

Thank you.  I really do appreciate any and all likes, quotes and other justifications for my existence on this board.  :)

• Love 3

I didn't hate the final two! So funny the Chosen Ones weren't close. Not even Simon, master manipulator, was able to get Ameriker to vote I-adopted-lots-of-kids-but-only-kinda-sing for the win. Loved Zucaroh holding Shin up. It would have been awesome with a chair and Havah Nagila. They didn't get the million but the exposure is priceless. I'm sure they will receive lots of bookings. Shin Lim will get signed by one of the casinos, easy. And maybe show up on ANW next season.

The Struts lead singer really, really wants to be Freddy Mercury.

Aw, no kitties.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

It's probably too much to hope for, but maybe the finals results will be a wake-up call to AGT to go back to being something like a real talent competition, and not a soap opera with endless producer manipulation around sob stories. (Often a complete invention, like Glennis being torn from her child).

"Mom, please don't (voluntarily) leave me!"
"I'm sorry, golden child, but I have to (and you can come)"
Status update of the week in her pre-performance video packages: "her son is still alive and not reduced to a ball of tears because she's been gone for a few weeks"

That was one of the dumbest sob stories they've tried to pull.

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, Neet said:

Damn, Heidi really is annoying, isn't she. Hopefully I'm not one of the few who think this way, but I've got to wonder what quality she actually brings to the show when she's not funny in any measure, intelligent, articulate, or critical.

Umm, she's pretty. That's it. Oh, and she brings international flavor to the judges' panel. Wait, none of the judges on "America's Got Talent" is American, so scratch that.

When Heidi attempts to be funny it always ends up being embarrassing. I know that there are many women who are beautiful, smart, and funny. But Heidi is like the advertisement for, "just sit there and look pretty." She can single-handedly set the women's lib movement back thirty years. Come to think of it, Mel B. isn't any better. Do these two women being on the show mean that Simon and the other producers really hate women?

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

What a surprising final. A nice change of pace when voting in America gets it right. All of those singers that were systematically inserted into the top 10 and only 1 makes it to the 5th spot. Perhaps this will show the producers that AGT was supposed to be a talent show with a variety of acts, not American Idol Lite. 

Congrats to Shin Lim and kudos for the great response from Zurcaroh with seamlessly lifting him up at the end. Rare to see a genuine moment like that on AGT. I just hope Simon's contract for the winner doesn't limit his reach and he can create his own show with whatever Casino he wants. I'll definitely check it out.

One comment about Brian King Joseph. I love his personality and think he is talented but the whole season I've felt that his violin has sounded off. Like all the notes were flat. I used to chalk that up to NBC having terrible sound production, however tonight with Lindsey Stirling, she sounded great. Hearing them play side by side you could tell how clean and pure her sound was compared to BKJ. My wife has brought up the off sound during his performances in the past as well. As a performer, he still nails it.

Here's to hoping that there are major changes to AGT for next year. New host, new judges, more variety.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I Loved Zucaroh holding Shin up. It would have been awesome with a chair and Havah Nagila. They didn't get the million but the exposure is priceless.

I said this joke while watching, though it's more of an observation - I wonder if Zurcaroh were less upset about losing, since instead of the million, each person essentially didn't win $10,000 ($1 million minus taxes, plus the money required to fix the choreographer's leaky tear ducts, then divided by 50 members).

Also, I have to wonder how any of these acts will do after the show. It seems interest in the performers immediately nosedives when the finale's credits start rolling and a lot of the acts aren't the kind where they can keep their momentum going (with a new song for example). AGT doesn't really care about the performers' future, since the prize is the brief show in Vegas and the money, whereas American Idol is actually about making new stars (the past several have had as much lasting star power as a flare gun)

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

Umm, she's pretty. That's it. Oh, and she brings international flavor to the judges' panel. Wait, none of the judges on "America's Got Talent" is American, so scratch that.

When Heidi attempts to be funny it always ends up being embarrassing. I know that there are many women who are beautiful, smart, and funny. But Heidi is like the advertisement for, "just sit there and look pretty." She can single-handedly set the women's lib movement back thirty years. Come to think of it, Mel B. isn't any better. Do these two women being on the show mean that Simon and the other producers really hate women?

Of course it's only my opinion that even 20 years ago, Heidi wasn't that good looking (according to my preference), but to refer to her present day as a "supermodel" on the show when she is long past her prime seems rather silly, especially when that is the "talent" that landed her a judging position. I'd like to see a funny female comedian on AGT, but if my memory serves me well, I think every single one has been a failure - Melissa Villasenor in 2011 was the first one I saw and I recall rolling my eyes and sighing like Perez Hilton's twin.

With all of Mel B's screaming during acts, you'd think she was the vocalist of a metal band (jokes aside, it's very irritating). I'd say when a single season has Michael Ketterer and Vicki in the finale, the producers want you to hate everybody.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

I think America is finally over golden buzers and sob stories 

And singers in the finale who aren't good enough to make it through American Idol or The Voice audition rounds.  The only thing that would've made this finale better for me would be if Kettering didn't make the Top 5.  But seeing his utterly shocked face was almost worth it.  Top 4 consisting of a magician, a dance group, a violinist and a comedian could bode well for the future of the AGT show that began its life as a variety show, and not as a bad singing and competing sob stories show. 

Congratulations, Shin Lim, you are a pleasure to watch. Thank you, America, for doing such a great job with your finale votes and for sparing me from the expected nightmare top 2 of Kettering and Hadwin.  Bravo.   

• Love 7