Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E21: Live Show Finals (Tuesday's Show)

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, bluepiano said:

because whatever their shortcoming, it's judged as "wow, but for a ____ year old that's amazing."

You can fill in the blanks with 80 year old, cancer survivor, Tourettes sufferer, bullying victim, etc. Special treatment doesn't mean much on a show where everybody has an ailment.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, bluepiano said:

Courtney Has Been. (which she will be by the time she's about 16).

16 in British years seems to be middle aged, so that's not too bad.

3 hours ago, rr2911 said:

8. Samuel J. Comroe - He'll win AGT if people feel sorry for him. Compared to Vicki Barbolak, he is slightly funnier.

Why he won't win- Set aside his Tourettes, he just isn't funny.

When half of your routine is based on you imitating The Rock's Peoples Eyebrow, it's safe to say you aren't that great.

3 hours ago, rr2911 said:

5. Courtney Hadwin - She'll win AGT if all Janis Joplin and Mick Jagger fans come together and vote. Plus I think she was penciled in to win.                     

Pretty sure the majority of Janis and Mick fans who are still alive don't know how to use an iPhone. I'd say the amount of young people who care about musicians from 40+ years ago is very tiny, not counting the 15 year old American Idol contestants who pretend they listen to Smokey Robinson.

2 hours ago, ShellyD said:

We always DVR the show and FF through backstories and acts we don’t like. I like to listen to the judges comments and then come here to listen  to the forum comments. ? Y’all tell me everything that happened that we didn’t watch.

We can get thru the whole show in little over an hour and never listen to the singers. 

I do this every week, yet somehow it doesn't reduce the pain at all. After every episode, I feel physically drained like "god damn" (not an exaggeration)

1 hour ago, Lava VaVoom said:

Courtney got a shoutout on the View this morning.  They were impressed.  And be kind with what you say, because that's my morning go-to.

4 annoying crow-like voices shouting out another? They must belong to the same flock. As for you watching The View, I'm about to turn 25 and still like Arthur (the aardvark), so I can't say anything lol

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, InternetToughGuy said:

Pretty sure the majority of Janis and Mick fans who are still alive don't know how to use an iPhone.

I'm pretty sure neither Janis nor Mick know how to use an iPhone. Well, Janis for sure.

• Love 1

So the secret's out y'all--Glennis Grace has a career "in her country." Ya know, The Netherlands, which this show has been avoiding saying like it's a dirty word. A couple people had some posts upthread that they don't think Glennis is going to win as people won't be inclined to vote for somebody who already has success...do you think the producers had Howie say that to ensure she wouldn't? 

Zurcaroh should get a Cirque du Soleil show built around them. They have consistently come ready to play in this competition and I agree with Heidi that they are Vegas-ready.

His chances are slim since he needed a save in the semis, but I think Samuel J. Comroe has a possibility of overcoming that and squeaking into the Top 5.

"I don't want to be the next Janis Joplin or Otis Redding or James Brown--I want to be myself." Then why do you come out every week imitating their style instead of doing anything remotely original?

I'm happy this season is coming to an end, but I am going to miss my Summer 2018 TV Boyfriend Shin Lim. No matter what the results are (haven't watched them yet) he deserves to go far, and I think he will.

Simon getting all teary about how he wished he could give Michael Ketterer a million dollars right now...I mean, can't you? Google estimates his net worth at $550 million, so surely he could spare just one of those? This also felt like producer manipulation--he deserves the million dollars for being The Second Coming so vote for him so that he can get it. I always assumed he was already financially well off if he was able to adopt all those kids. And he absolutely shit the bed tonight so he doesn't deserve the win based on his talent.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Readalot said:

So I was at the taping last night.  (I was at last Tuesday's taping too. See that thread for details)  Here are my observations:

Shin Lim was pre-taped. It was hard to get into it, as the screens they have are up top and not large, so hard to see the detail needed to fully enjoy his act.  I was surprised about the piano act.  Positive audience support.

There was three times that I felt the audience truly connected to the acts:

Brian King Joseph - We ate him up, you could feel the humanity in the building.  I think he got the most love, the audience would not stop the cheering, it was cool.  Possibly the loudest audience response.  He is my winner.

Zurcaroh - Everyone was in awe, and tears in some eyes.  I really enjoyed their act.

Michael Ketterer - Not a dry eye in the house after the intro.  Including mine.  I don't remember his act because I was too busy trying to calm down!

Now the rest.....Daniel Emmet - eh.  The audience was distracted, by what I don't know. But no one was paying attention. Mel B. and Howie turned their chairs around and talked for a bit during his act.  Vicki Barbolak - I think for the most part everyone enjoyed her, as did I.  But I don't think she is top tier and deserves to win.

Glennis Grace - No one in the audience was caring about her.  Interesting that Howie mentioned her professional status in so many words.  I hope she does NOT win.  But I would not be surprised.

Samual J. Comroe - I enjoyed his act, but again, no one special.

Courtney Hadwin - What a difference from last week.  Last Tuesday, they told us we had to stand up for all her act (the only act they asked this for).  They also asked us to cheer louder for her that we were for BTS, which did not happen.  This time, nada, no special treatment for her.

Duo Trancent was cool. I have to admit I kept waiting for a mistake to happen.

The buzz in the theatre was def electrifing, which was missing last week.  I think all the contestents gave forth their A game, again, better than last week.

I ran into Vicki's husband again.  He remembered me and was again very nice.

After the show they had us stick around for a pre-tape for today's show. I don't want to spoil the suprise, but it involves multiple contestants and I think it will be well received.

As for behind the scenes - I was distracted by Simon's too tight shirt. I'm surprised a button didn't pop off.  I can't beleive no one told him to go up a size!  He didn't talk to us as much as he did last week.  Heidi's boy toy sat in Simon's seat during one of the breaks.  Mel B. greeted him warmly. There was boy Simon's son age in Simon's seat at one point.  Not sure if it was his son though. Howie still looked at Simon during the acts to see his reaction.

I went to the ones at NJPAC and Radio City in Season 7-10 so it was very interesting to read your post to see what has changed. Everything seems to be mostly the same except when I went to the live shows all 4 times it was Howard Stern as "lead" so he would do the things you mentioned such as talk to the crowd or "disappear" during a commercial break. 

I find your story about Courtney very interesting. During season 10 they did the same stuff during the live show I was there with Drew Lynch. Drew Lynch wasn't even performing in the semi final I attended that season and still wanted us to cheer some pre-tape thing that involved him. As far as Courtney I wonder if there was some behind the scenes something going on you say in one week they are basically trying to force you to give extra cheers, but in the next she is barely a mention. 

Some other things I found weird about Courtney's treatment:

SF : Performs last, F : Performs 7th

Howie Mandel's Reaction in Semi Finals was YOU ARE THE WINNER YOU WILL WIN, in the finals its basically you are on fire and doesn't mention winning.

All of a sudden in interviews he is not saying Courtney will win, but is now saying she has a good a shot as anyone instead.

They didn't promote her at all in the show until it was her turn to come out and in the promotional material tonight she wasn't as apparent.

They didn't put her front and center on the youtube channel.

It's almost like they took the complaints about her being too exposed seriously and toned it down.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Simon getting all teary about how he wished he could give Michael Ketterer a million dollars right now...I mean, can't you?

For a second I thought he was about to say he was going to...

• Love 2
On 9/19/2018 at 10:36 AM, saber5055 said:

I was doing other things toward the end of this show, but did I hear Simon tell The Adoptive Father of a Zillion Kids that he needed to win the million bucks so he could give all those underprivileged children a better home? WTH show.

While Vicki was on, all I could think of was she is the co-worker who, when a bunch of us go out for drinks after work, is the one who talks non-stop to entertain the table. She tells all the amusing stories while the rest of us drink, eat chips and chicken wings, and have a good time. A few margaritas will do that to a person.

I like Shin Lim better when he doesn't talk and stays all dark and mysterious (it's personal, don't ask), but he hasn't messed up any of his routines (except I could see how he got the cards while he was at the piano). After hearing Simon's speech about giving the million dollars to those adopted children, I voted for the first time this season. For Shin Lim.

My feeling is Courtney was given the GB so we didn't get tired of her routine, which it appears is happening to many of us now. Being a GB ensures that act stays fresher than the others so can keep going to the end. This was a set up from the beginning.

A really deep, dark and black part of my soul wants Child Welfare to find a few of those adopted kids chained to boxes in Ketterer's basement. Now excuse me while l get struck by lightning.

So far, the kids are safe.  But the wife ain't!  (See TMZ news story in 09.19 show's thread.)

• Love 2

I'm catching up on AGT episodes tonight. After reading the story about Michael ketteter, I watched Simon tear up and tell him he's a wonderful, terrific person.   And I laughed, "no, turns out he's not!"

Edited by backformore
  • Love 4