Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: I Love a Parade

paulvdb

Airdate: September 26, 2018

The Pritchett-Dunphy-Tucker clan are going to be setting off more than a few fireworks when they get together at the annual Fourth of July parade where Jay will be acting as the grand marshal. Meanwhile, Haley's goodbye with Arvin before his trip to Switzerland doesn't go as well as she pictured it and is distracted by the return of an old flame

Good episode.  References to #metoo, Shriners, confetti cannons.

Dylan back, which will make a lot of people on this forum happy.  Does this mean the British scientist is gone?  He was my favorite Haley boyfriend.

• Love 5

Dylan+Haley=OTP! I do agree with Claire though, how did he get into nursing school?! Maybe he has actually grown since we saw him last?

"He got #meetooed, so now I get to do it!" "A few dates in, he did some clowning for me. I felt deceived..." Some good lines this week, hopefully they can keep it up. 

Lilly and Manny both look so much older! My one complaint is that they seem to be going too far into "Lilly is blunt and snarky" much like last season. It was cute when she was little, but as an older kid/teen? It just makes me question Cam and Mitch's parenting. 

• Love 8

Happy to see the Tucker-Prichett's updated bit at the beginning!

Even more happy to see Sarah Hyland looking so much healthier. Moving around on those chunky heels like a rock star!

Good start, great to see them all again. 

24 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Dylan back, which will make a lot of people on this forum happy.

*Raises hand* - he's just so cute!

• Love 5

Loved this episode.   I’m a huge Dylan fan and am glad there’s potential for him and Haley to get back together.  And he’s gonna be a nurse so he’ll have a good career.

Lived that there was a lot of Lily, she’s my favorite of the younger set and there wasn’t enough of her last season.

Phil needs s better storyline.

and the show needs less Joe.

• Love 3

I glad that they return to that note from seasons ago when Dylan mentioned to Hayley that he was talking about nursing school. And he seem competent in nurse mode and was pretty observant when he talked with Hayley.

Phil will be thrilled as he always loved Dylan. As he did most of Hayley's boyfriends although he really didn't connect last season with they physics professor.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Lilly and Manny both look so much older! My one complaint is that they seem to be going too far into "Lilly is blunt and snarky" much like last season. It was cute when she was little, but as an older kid/teen? It just makes me question Cam and Mitch's parenting. 

I never found Lily's snarkiness to be cute. The concept of her character, ever since she was a toddler, has seemed to be, "Wouldn't it be hilarious and adorable if a child acted like a sassy, bitter middle-aged gay man?" And my answer has always been "no."

• Love 20
1 hour ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Wow. I feel alone that I didn’t like this episode. It was just eh to me. Also I don’t want Haley back with Dylan. Granted I don’t want her with Arvin either but.. this episode didn’t get very much laughs from me.

Not only did I not like this episode, but I think I'm done with the show. It's been a long time since I've found it funny.

• Love 6

I’ve found Dylan annoying from the first second he appeared on this show. I have no idea why they insist on continuously bringing him back, but at this point I’m hoping this is the final season and thinking they may be setting him up as endgame for Haley. I guess these two deserve each other because they are never going to allow Haley any real growth and maturity. 

• Love 11

I found Dylan very funny back in the day. I think the character is fairly played out, though, and I cannot believe that he's smart enough to get into nursing school. It feels like they're retconning the character to make him an acceptable match for Haley.

• Love 6

I feel like one of the problems of finding a good partner for Haley is that she doesn't really bring much to the table herself.  I like the character, but, aside from being pretty, she has never really seemed like a "partner" in her romantic relationships.  I have enjoyed the times that the writers have given her insight and growth, but then it seems like they backstep that.

I understand why Alex could take a month off to lay around the house, but how was Claire able to lounge around for extended weeks along with Alex.  I thought she had a company to run, and taking a month off just doesn't work with that.  They conveyed the passage of time via the dead tomato plant on the table.

Loved Phil's inadvertent insights.

Am SO over any time they have Gloria "sing."  And, she's still way too involved in Manny's life.

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I feel like one of the problems of finding a good partner for Haley is that she doesn't really bring much to the table herself.  I like the character, but, aside from being pretty, she has never really seemed like a "partner" in her romantic relationships.  I have enjoyed the times that the writers have given her insight and growth, but then it seems like they backstep that.

I understand why Alex could take a month off to lay around the house, but how was Claire able to lounge around for extended weeks along with Alex.  I thought she had a company to run, and taking a month off just doesn't work with that.  They conveyed the passage of time via the dead tomato plant on the table.

Loved Phil's inadvertent insights.

Am SO over any time they have Gloria "sing."  And, she's still way too involved in Manny's life.

I totally agree with your post.  (Except that I'm SO over Gloria in general, not just when she's singing, and have been for a very long time.  Manny too.)

I also was wondering why Claire was lying around the house for a month instead of working.  That was so weird.

I abhor food eating contests and (extreme) gluttony in general... so that whole storyline was a big miss for me.

All in all, not a very good premiere IMO, but this show has been frustrating and not very funny for a while now.  I am trying to stick with it to the end... but the last season or two haven't been particularly enjoyable.  I hope it improves, but I'm not very optimistic.

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I thought Haley looked gorgeous without all the makeup when she was in the hospital bed. 

I thought so too!  I wasn't a fan of the red lipstick/heavy makeup look, but it was nice to see the actress looking very healthy.  I hope her health problems are behind her now.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

I thought so too!  I wasn't a fan of the red lipstick/heavy makeup look, but it was nice to see the actress looking very healthy.  I hope her health problems are behind her now.

I hope so. I remember she posted when her medicine caused bruising and it looked so painful. 

5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Based on Hailey’s reaction to the kiss I am flummoxed by them thinking it was necessary to bring Dylan back.

Yeah. I don’t know why either? They bring him back a lot though and doesn’t it always end like “what was the point of this?” The only time it made sense was when they book ended him by giving him a wife and the episode last season when all the ex boyfriends showed up. But that scene was pointless and the moment was pointless but yeah. 

I honestly don’t know what else I can say about this show that I didn’t say in my first post- it feels like the show has run its course.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Wasn't Arvin the same actor who played Jimmy on You're The Worst?  I thought it was an ok episode, had a few good laughs. I thought Haley looked gorgeous without all the makeup when she was in the hospital bed. 

She really did. The clownish makeup they always have her in is so unnecessary, she looks great without it. 

I can't help but have a soft spot for Dylan and since I loathe the professor storyline, I'd love to see him out of the picture (or "pit-cher" as Dylan would say). It's not like there's ever really going to be any growth for the Haley character anyway, so might as well bring it full circle and have her end up with Dylan. 

Meh episode for me, picking up on the lackluster string of episodes from last season. Hope they can get a few funny episodes, or even funny parts of episodes in before it ends. 

I hope we have a few Pepper and Rinaldo sightings at some point, those two make me laugh. 

• Love 3

I had quit watching some time last season because I detest the Pam character so much but decided to give it another chance since it was the season premiere. I didn’t laugh once. Lily was very funny to me about 5 years ago. Now she is just obnoxious. There wasn’t one story line I liked or found funny. They really need to end this show.

Also Sofia Vergara needs to stop with the plastic surgery. And those creepy shampoo  commercials she does with her grown son, but that’s another story.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Wow. I feel alone that I didn’t like this episode. It was just eh to me. Also I don’t want Haley back with Dylan. Granted I don’t want her with Arvin either but.. this episode didn’t get very much laughs from me.

I am with you - I was fine with Dylan in the beginning, but they were both what - 16 or 17?  I know I am in the minority here but I liked Andy.  His dorkiness was endearing to me!

Why was Claire in a unicorn outfit and why does she get a month off of work? She is a CEO not a sped teacher like me, lol.

9 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I abhor food eating contests and (extreme) gluttony in general... so that whole storyline was a big miss for me.

Me too - same ! I never find food fights to be funny in real life or in TV/movies.

I did like the Sheep Riding or whatever it was:  "Did you not have a childhood??"

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Why was Claire in a unicorn outfit and why does she get a month off of work? She is a CEO not a sped teacher like me, lol.

Because Alex accidentally ordered it and it was there. (What was Alex wearing - a bear?) They never did explain why she was home, did they?

1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Me too - same ! I never find food fights to be funny in real life or in TV/movies.

I got caught in one in the cafeteria when I was in middle school (I was not involved); ended up with ketchup all over my shirt and had to wear my gym t-shirt for the rest of the day. I was Not Happy.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Based on Hailey’s reaction to the kiss I am flummoxed by them thinking it was necessary to bring Dylan back.

I don't know. To me it looks like her mouth said "nothing there!" but her face said "oh, no, I do I feel things." I really liked Arvin, though, so I hope this doesn't spell the end of them.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Oh, I thought she told Dylan that the kiss was blah, but as she walked away, toward the camera, she gave an “Oh, dear. He still moves mountains for me” look?

• Love 8
8 hours ago, LeisureTime said:

I don't know. To me it looks like her mouth said "nothing there!" but her face said "oh, no, I do I feel things." I really liked Arvin, though, so I hope this doesn't spell the end of them.

Sorry! I had not read the entire thread before posting.

I like Arvin, too. “Ice chips... or should I say, ‘ice fries’?”

• Love 1

I am kind of over the show, too, for all the reasons mentioned. I'm really over Sofia, and have been for a long time. I don't get her. I don't find her funny or attractive. Bless her for being able to carry on a Charo character, though I never got Charo either.

What happened to Phil's magic shop? Did he just close it up? It's like #RichPeopleProblems every darn week. 

I'm assuming Nerd!Sister was home from college for the summer and decided to lie on the couch and do nothing. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, WAnglais1 said:

I am kind of over the show, too, for all the reasons mentioned. I'm really over Sofia, and have been for a long time. I don't get her. I don't find her funny or attractive. Bless her for being able to carry on a Charo character, though I never got Charo either.

What happened to Phil's magic shop? Did he just close it up? It's like #RichPeopleProblems every darn week. 

I'm assuming Nerd!Sister was home from college for the summer and decided to lie on the couch and do nothing. 

That's it!!  I am waiting for Sophia Vergara to break out in COOCHIE COOCHIE COOCHIE!  at any given time.

When Phil was talking to Luke about college, giving him a pep talk, and Luke was all down on himself, I wanted Phil to tell Luke what a great job he did at the Country CLub!  

• Love 9

I find this pretty ho hum.  Nothing great and nothing bad.

Count me in on wondering how Claire could just take off so much time from the company she runs though.  Or, actually, they merged with another company, so not sure what she does now, exactly, but I doubt they would just let her take weeks off at a time. 

I loved Haley and Dylan together.......in high school.  The problem is they aren't in high school anymore and the time for them has far passed. 

This has been the big problem for the show from the beginning, but has only become increasingly worse as time goes on.

Also :

Spoiler

Seems pretty clear Pam is the one likely to die, based on the set up in this episode with Mitch and Cam with her kid

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 4

MF will always be one of my favorite shows, but even I can admit it's running on fumes now. Stale really is the best word for it. The characters, the plots, the conflicts...it's all played out. 

On 9/27/2018 at 12:25 PM, seacliffsal said:

I feel like one of the problems of finding a good partner for Haley is that she doesn't really bring much to the table herself.  I like the character, but, aside from being pretty, she has never really seemed like a "partner" in her romantic relationships.

Hear, hear! I've been of this opinion for more or less the whole show. Her ditziness was okay in high school but everything beyond that is just sad. Haley is someone I wouldn't be able to stand in real life - her idiocy, her superficiality, her lack of a sense of humor (on display in this episode with Arvin). She's been like this for 9+ seasons now. The character is pure stagnation. With Andy she did show some flashes of growing up and it was downright refreshing. Then the writers forgot about all of that and she regressed.

The Arvin thing needs to end ASAP. No chemistry whatsoever. He's annoying and she's even dumber than usual with him. What do they even see in each other?

• Love 7

IIRC, the tech company bought their closet company. Claire and Jay are supposed to start working there as consultants. I think there was supposed to be a lag time while the merger was happening before they needed to start the consultant jobs, hence the summer off.  I just read an article where the show is going to address Claire starting her new job as well as Phil and the magic store in upcoming episodes. 

I think Arvin had a lot more potential chemistry with Alex, but obviously he wasn’t interested. Plus, he would push her into her more boring and stuffy side  Her firefighter is cute, but the show hasn’t done a good job of making us involved and caring about that relationship in the same way we’ve had to follow all of Haley’s relationships  

• Love 2
12 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

Hear, hear! I've been of this opinion for more or less the whole show. Her ditziness was okay in high school but everything beyond that is just sad. Haley is someone I wouldn't be able to stand in real life - her idiocy, her superficiality, her lack of a sense of humor (on display in this episode with Arvin). She's been like this for 9+ seasons now. The character is pure stagnation. With Andy she did show some flashes of growing up and it was downright refreshing. Then the writers forgot about all of that and she regressed.

The Arvin thing needs to end ASAP. No chemistry whatsoever. He's annoying and she's even dumber than usual with him. What do they even see in each other?

That's why I had a problem later on with Dylan, it just worked in high school, Haley is in her mid to approaching her late 20s now. She is still going: "I need to have an awesome fashion/super money job." It's been played out and we have been hit over the head and Haley (literally at times) it just doesn't work. Phil and Claire are tired of it, but they just don't go: "Get out of the house, and go get a fucking brain!" Of course, then they drop it right back with both Alex and Luke. Alex still is miss: "I'm smarter than everyone else in my family, but then I go to school with people smarter than me. That's not fair! Wahhh!" With Luke, he showed so much last season seeing he was good at business management, he wanted out of the house, but now he is: "I don't be an adult, it's not easy." Well duh! 

All the characters are stuck from Mitch starting job number 50 to Jay still going: "I know better than everyone else, but still come off looking like I don't know best." The show needs to come to an end. Trying to push it out to another season, isn't going to work. 

• Love 3
On 9/27/2018 at 8:22 AM, Lady J said:

Not only did I not like this episode, but I think I'm done with the show. It's been a long time since I've found it funny.

I haven't liked this show for a while now. For some reason I keep watching though I can't wait for it to end.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Andy was the best thing that ever happened for Haley,  never understood why the writers thought these two together  turned so many viewers off. 

Agreed. I don't really remember, but did he get married & have kids? I was thinking the consequential death this season might be his wife. If so, he & Haley could end up together happily ever after.

12 minutes ago, Eataton said:

Agreed. I don't really remember, but did he get married & have kids? I was thinking the consequential death this season might be his wife. If so, he & Haley could end up together happily ever after.

No. He left for that job and in the episode with Haley in the episode he was dating someone new, but not married and no kids.

• Love 2

The beginning part with Joe struck me as kinda weird...most kids his age that I've known LOVE holiday celebrations of any kind, the louder and tackler, the better. IMO Joe would not be rolling his eyes and oh-so-embarrassed of his parents' behavior. But on this show it's like a golden rule that all kids must be snarky from a precocious age.

• Love 6
On 9/29/2018 at 2:47 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

No. He left for that job and in the episode with Haley in the episode he was dating someone new, but not married and no kids.

He was dating a Laker Girl  - not the L.A. kind - the kind that scrapes barnicles off of boats in the Great Salt Lake.  I loved Andy, too.  A grown up, yet goofy guy who brought out the best in Hayley.

• Love 8
On 9/27/2018 at 9:20 AM, Blakeston said:

I never found Lily's snarkiness to be cute. The concept of her character, ever since she was a toddler, has seemed to be, "Wouldn't it be hilarious and adorable if a child acted like a sassy, bitter middle-aged gay man?" And my answer has always been "no."

Co-signed, and the actor's painfully wooden delivery makes her even more unbearable. She isn't snarky, she's downright rude, unpleasant, and unfunny.

• Love 7
On 9/28/2018 at 12:24 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

That's it!!  I am waiting for Sophia Vergara to break out in COOCHIE COOCHIE COOCHIE!  at any given time.

When Phil was talking to Luke about college, giving him a pep talk, and Luke was all down on himself, I wanted Phil to tell Luke what a great job he did at the Country CLub!  

and i saw her on a talk show once where she admitted that her accent is very much over emphasized for the public, she really doesn't have it that thick in real life. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, msrachelj said:

and i saw her on a talk show once where she admitted that her accent is very much over emphasized for the public, she really doesn't have it that thick in real life. 

She's gotten really bad at faking it in the last few seasons. Even if her original accent was exaggerated, it still came across somewhat natural, but whatever she's doing these days sounds ridiculous and forced. If anything, she should be going in the direction of less of an accent since she's been living in America for so long at this point. I can hardly listen to her talk anymore. 

Co-signed, and the actor's painfully wooden delivery makes her even more unbearable. She isn't snarky, she's downright rude, unpleasant, and unfunny.

I thought she was cute at a very specific age, like when she was fighting with Sal "she knows what I mean..." At that age, the lines came across funny, but she's in an awkward stage now and really can't sell any of the lines they write for her. If she were auditioning for the role now, she'd never have gotten, but I guess they're stuck with her since she's been on for so long.

• Love 5