Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01 Nine Bucks

Lady Calypso
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Katy M said:

I wasn't going to comment on that, because I was afraid I'd be misunderstood, but I was surprised that nobody accused her of stealing them. Randall said they were expensive, and she can't have much money.  But, maybe they just didn't want to do it at the table in front of everyone and they will ask her for specifics later.  That's actually pretty reasonable.

I thought the same thing, she was acting erractally and "connections" can also mean stolen goods which isn't a good thing too. Maybe another scene it will be discussed and she'll get angry and later he'll see or hear about her dad and the connections will come. Dragged out I'm sure.  I found it odd her dad seemed to be doing okay (maybe dad was football star or a relation?) and he couldn't help Deja at all? It usually isn't the guys choice.

I'm not really invested in who they are visiting, personally don't like future segments unless they are few and TIU writers said it would be mid-season. Whatever, I like to see a show as it goes, not know the ending beforehand. I'd rather see in the past as that effects the future, you see the future as a viewer and it can't be changed.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I wish Toby had pushed back with Kate more.  His reasoning for not doing the IVF are valid.  Beside the issue with his antidepressants, IVF is an expensive, emotional process.  Their chances of conceiving are already low.  Kate got swept up in the whole idea of a second chance, but knowing her, she's not going to compromise.  I was surprised that no one mentioned adoption, given that Randall's adoption had such an impact on their family.  Granted, adoption is no easy thing to do either, but at least they have a little more choice into what's happening.

When Kate basically dumped her purse at the birthday party, all I could think of was how awkward it was.  But people only exist to hear the Pearson's problems.

I didn't care about Jack and Rebecca's first date.  We already know they'll live happily ever after, regardless of the other guy.  And I don't need to see anymore of how Jack is the greatest guy who ever lived and no one compares, blah blah.  I'm more interested in seeing what happened in Vietnam.

I liked the twist that Beth is trying to protect Kevin.  It's not just shtick; I really don't think she likes him most of the time.  Not that she hates him or wishes him ill, just that she doesn't like him and finds him annoying.

Deja was right to tell Randall off the way she did.  He means well, but he can't get out of his own head and his own experiences.  I guess her busting the car windshield is water under the bridge?

Hope to see more of Kate and Annie this season.  I still think the woman they're visiting in the flashforward is Annie.  :(

They might show them talking to Deja more in another episode but he did chase her as she ran that day for quite a while. The conversation later was probably the typical you'd expect from Randall ; ) 

I'm sorry the Beth/Kevin thing was awful, he's 38, and you decide who he dates? My 24 year old was like, "How old is he and they are talking about hiding?"  Silly.

I didn't like Rebecca and Jack's first date, I know she came from money, but she should have guessed he didn't have a lot of money, especially with the umbrella. Was she broke? She could have offered to pay for something. Even back then, I paid for things when I didn't know someone well and later.  I guess she always seemed more sensitive than that to others feelings.

I don't know why the reversal of the IVP thing, most doctor's wouldn't do that. Of course it was a curve ball to the viewers. Maybe they want to show a miracle, maybe the downside of the procedure but I was hoping the show didn't go for the hidden punch all the time and did what they did the first year. Just good writing.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4

I don't think I'm up for a whole season of Rebecca's and Jack's dating history.  I'm not surprised that their first date was Rebecca rattling on about herself, to the point of not even asking Jack's name, and then complaining about what a bad date it had been  -why? because it rained?  For me their whole relationship has been Jack knocking himself out for her while she just rakes it in because it's her due for being so  pretty. Now it looks like he's going to have to compete for her affection from some other guy. Ugh.

Doesn't Beth know that the way to force a casual, boot-knocking relationship into  Romeo and Juliet territory is to forbid their love?

• Love 24

Loved, loved every minute of it!  Some comments I jotted down as I was reading the thread:

Kate and Toby would have a very difficult time adopting, given her weight and his medical problems.  From what I've heard the restrictions are very strict when it comes to formal adoptions, probably even moreso in CA.  (Just a guess.)  Surrogacy is a better option.

I'm guessing "her" in the future is Rebecca.  Last season the mystery was about Jack's death, this season it will be Rebecca's to bookend it.  Maybe Toby was reluctant because Kate had already died and Rebecca blamed him for allowing her to go through with the IVF that killed her?

OK, so Deja's dad is a famous football player?  Or were those just random people?

Franco Harris!  Man, I feel old that so many posters don't know who he is.  I had such a crush on him back in the day.

My husband was convinced Kate would be pregnant by the end of the episode.  From the Immaculate Reception to the immaculate conception.  Anyway, I believe Toby's comments about not being into IVF was only to help Kate accept that it wasn't going to happen.  And that he is worried about the danger.  

There was probably little mention of Deja busting the car window because this was 4 months later.  When Deja's mom said the father would have no objection I was worried that he would suddenly pop up sometime this season and want his kid back, but it looks like he truly has no interest in having a daughter.

I was shocked, shocked when we learned that Beth's outrage about Kevin and Zoe was because she was afraid for Kevin!  

Jack didn't have much choice about going on a date with only $5 $9 since it was Rebecca that suggested they go somewhere.  He couldn't very well say no and expect to see her again.  Good point about carnivals in Dec in Pittsburgh.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 9

The only reason I can see the her not being Kate, Rebecca, or Kate and Toby’s child and Randall being all “she would love to see you” or whatever he said is maybe he means it in a general way. Like when someone doesn’t want to go to a party or something and people are like “so and so would love to see you”. Like this would be a misdirection that anyone who is going through something would love to see anyone type of thing. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, milner said:

This is probably not pc but Kate’s whining about never getting a break annoyed me. She probably can’t have a baby because of her weight. Her weight is NOT the result of a“bad break”.  She reminds me of a woman on 90days who is always crying that life’s not fair. Also I totally agree with the poster who said the dr should have told her to  continue with her weight loss until she can safely handle anesthesia. Not to mention how it would improve her chances of carrying a baby and being around as it grows up. 

Don't get me wrong, I think this pregnancy is a bad idea.  But, if she waits until she loses enough wait she will be over 40 years old.  Also not ideal.

3 hours ago, debraran said:

She could have offered to pay for something.

She started to reach into her pocket to pay for the ticket to get in.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I mean, if that was the father, he’s a healthy-looking employed fellow.  Courts don’t just take an unreliable mother’s word that he’s not interested, they would have used any means necessary to track him down and make sure there were documents about this.

They may have had an affidavit from him and were just confirming orally for the record.

1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

and then complaining about what a bad date it had been  -why? because it rained?

I think because he was being weird about the umbrella.  he could have just told her he didn't have the money for that to begin with and she could have bought the umbrella.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Drumpf1737 said:

I loved Jack and Rebecca in the truck

And I was thinking, "Run, Rebecca, run." Granted, we know this fictional relationship (sorta) works out, but when guys say they're dealing with issues involving anger, money, and feeling lost (or something to that effect), I've seen too many female friends lose themselves playing mother/rescuer. 

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Maybe Toby was reluctant because Kate had already died and Rebecca blamed him for allowing her to go through with the IVF that killed her?

That would be a pretty long grudge as that would mean Kate dies within a year or two and this takes place at least 15 years into the future.  Plus, if Kate died that early on in the marriage and Toby was living on the other coast, and he's not that close with the brothers anyway, they probably would have lost contact after a little while.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, greekmom said:

I am glad I am not the only one on the hate Kate train.  I found her very selfish in regards to having a baby and whining about her weight.  What mostly bothers me is the fact that she will learn that Toby tossed his meds and it looks like she is fine with it as long as she gets what she wants (baby).

If Toby was a diabetic and he tossed his insulin - would that still be ok Kate?

To be fair, when he brought up going off his meds to increase his sperm count earlier, she gave a pretty firm "NO."  I wasn't pleased with Kate in this episode at all, but the pill dumping was 100% on Toby.   I actually loved Madison, though.  Kate goes on a completely socially unacceptable rant that makes everybody feel uncomfortable, she finishes, silence for a beat, and Madison just says "it's carrot cake" like Kate never said anything.  I think Kate has a perfect right to be upset that she can't have a child.  But, neither can a lot of people for many different reasons.  Someone at her party may have been having the same issue. And since most, if not all, of them were from the OA group, it may be for the exact same reason.  

Just now, Conotocarious said:

Why would Toby toss his meds before speaking to his doctor about a possible different medication without those side effects? The dramatic toss in the toilet is stupid. Plus I called it the second the doctor mentioned his meds. Why can’t anyone just behave rationally on this show?

I was actually pleasantly surprised in one aspect. The second the doctor said that, I thought the doctor was going to suggest him going off his meds with Kate adding pressure.  So, at least it was all Toby's stupi idea without bad professional and selfish wifely advice coming into play.

• Love 16

I Googled "Matt Czuchry This is Us" and an article came up where the author just goes ahead and says it's him.  LOL!  I wonder if any fact-checking was done.  It very much looked like him, but my mind would be blown if it was actually him.  I will check the episode credits next.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2018/09/209203/this-is-us-recap-season-3-episode-1-premiere

Edited:  I don't think I saw his name in the credits.

At some angles it looks exactly like Matt, but when you really look it's like if Matt was wearing some weird prosthetics or something.  Also, why the hell would Rebecca have a stunned look on her face.  Unless they will explain it later.  It's so silly.  It's like they used a Matt doppelganger just to fuck with the Gilmore Girls fans.

logan.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

In the future jump last season finale Kate says to Toby "That was the doctor they want you come in to talk about changing your meds"

I wonder if she pregnant at this point and he gone back on to the meds or they still trying for a baby and trying adjust the meds so doesn't effect his sperm count as much. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, izabella said:

Kevin is all good now?  No more addiction, no more depression?  Or does the show deliberately intend that his issues be papered over and forgotten again as part of the usual family dynamic, therapy be damned?  I adored him with the girls, though, as well as his conversation with Beth. 

The whole football thing was lost on me.

I doubt Kevin's addiction stuff is done, but likely on the backburner this season. This show is fairly good with bring back past issues. They hinted at Zoe being the one to break Kevin's heart (well, she said break him in general) so that could be foreshadowing all of it coming back at a later date. 

Yeah, the football stuff was poorly explained. You had to know the context in order to fully understand it.

41 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

Why would Toby toss his meds before speaking to his doctor about a possible different medication without those side effects? The dramatic toss in the toilet is stupid. Plus I called it the second the doctor mentioned his meds. Why can’t anyone just behave rationally on this show?

i also don’t understand why I’m supposed to care about Rebecca’s other boyfriend. That’s the thing, when you know the outcome, the actual story is less interesting. 

It WAS dumb and a total TV cliche. Most people in real life, I would hope, wouldn't act so irrationally and be so dramatic. I'd think most would go talk to their doctors. 

Unless there's some twist that the guy is going to show up in the present day to accommodate someone's storyline, it really does feel pointless to introduce a guy who we know won't be around. But I feel the same way about the flashforward mystery.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I love the show, loved the episode. Nothing on TV moves me more. 

I too thought about adoption but beyond the show wanting to explore a different avenue of having children, but I wonder if Toby and Kate's weight would make them less likely to qualify? I know little about adoption, so do not know. Do you have to go through health tests?

Beth and Zoe's fight was everything.

Kate (and perhaps Toby, too) would not qualify to adopt in some countries (China and Korea, for example, have BMI caps.  Korea also requires not one, but TWO psych evals.  And any history of mental illness would disqualify people.  These countries have OTHER health requirements as well (I'm not qualified to adopt from China or Korea due to my history of epilepsy).  I'm actually unsure if they could adopt domestically, not just due to Kate's weight, but Toby being on anti-depressants.  You might have to be off for a certain period of time.  

Adoption, especially for infants and even toddlers, is a very, very long wait (or a near-impossible wait if you're looking to adopt privately).  Kids like Deja are "easier" to adopt because, sadly, most people don't feel comfortable adopting a teen/or feel ready to parent a teen.  That's just the reality. 

LOVED Beth and Zoe's fight.  To be honest, if Beth is REALLY upset at this (and MEAN), she could submit some sort of anonymous tip to a gossip site.  But she's a nice person and won't be THAT cruel.  

• Love 8

I'm so happy to have this show back!

My favourite scene was the conversation with Beth and Kevin. I really like their relationship and I thought it was interesting that she seems concerned for him in getting involved with her cousin.

I have a few close family members that are dealing with depression and experiencing some much needed relief through meds so I really dread the storyline with Toby stopping his meds.  And i agree with others that it seems silly given they're now starting IVF.

• Love 3

My take on the significance of the football game and Franco Harris was that it looked like the Steelers were facing certain defeat, and then Harris managed to win the game at the last minute with an incredible move. And Jack and Rebecca's date looked like it was headed for failure, until Jack spoke from the heart just as Rebecca was leaving, and he managed to win her over against all the odds at the last minute.

(And then, of course, there's the line about how the ball will eventually end up with the right guy, just like Rebecca will eventually end up with Jack.)

• Love 15
44 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It WAS dumb and a total TV cliche. Most people in real life, I would hope, wouldn't act so irrationally and be so dramatic. I'd think most would go talk to their doctors. 

Especially since most of that type of medication has so many warnings about not stopping cold turkey.

28 minutes ago, PRgal said:

LOVED Beth and Zoe's fight.  To be honest, if Beth is REALLY upset at this (and MEAN), she could submit some sort of anonymous tip to a gossip site.  But she's a nice person and won't be THAT cruel.  

I think they just wanted to hide it from Beth, though, not the world. I don't think Kevin and Zoe would care if they were outed by TMZ. 

12 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

My take on the significance of the football game and Franco Harris was that it looked like the Steelers were facing certain defeat, and then Harris managed to win the game at the last minute with an incredible move. And Jack and Rebecca's date looked like it was headed for failure, until Jack spoke from the heart just as Rebecca was leaving, and he managed to win her over against all the odds at the last minute.

(And then, of course, there's the line about how the ball will eventually end up with the right guy, just like Rebecca will eventually end up with Jack.)

That would be fine, if they just left it at the game.  But, the whole family thing made it weird and like these were new characters that were going to be weaved into the Pearson family.  Perhaps through Deja. 

• Love 6

Random thoughts:

When they showed the "black guy" at the beginning I thought it was Deja's dad, then he put on the jersey and I screamed "no way....Franco Harris is her DAD!!!".  I was giddy.  (I'm old and remember him, I was about 10 and I made him Irish.. his name was Frank O'Harris, my dad never corrected me either).  I think they just put him in there to show that things aren't always what they seem to be (Steelers were supposed to lose and they didn't)

I think when Deja went to see her dad, she asked/demanded shoe money from him and I would almost bet that she had him sign something that he won't come out of the woodwork and protest the adoption.

Kate, STFU. And to the poster who said "dump her purse" (hope I got that right, lol).  OMG I love it, I've been on these boards since TWoP days and I've never heard that before...I'm going to use it IRL.

My biggest nitpick of the episode is how you gonna tell me that Franco's mom, let alone his dad were NOT AT THE GAME!!!!  really?  I'm a football mom, granted my kid is only in high school, he's been playing for 10 years and I've never missed a game and don't plan to, actually, I was teasing him the other day  that what ever college he goes to has to give him an allowance for me to travel to all his away games (its a joke, I know they can't do it).  

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Love 14

I enjoyed everything about this except the Kate stuff.  I was hoping at this point the show would get past everything being about her weight.  That said, I did appreciate how frank the doctor was.  I didn't think she was mean or cruel, just starkly factual about something that can be hard to talk about without it seeming to come off as mean.  And I hated her speech at her party.  I think I FF'd through the rest of it because of the cringe factor.

Beth looks gorgeous with her hair like that.  I just needed to get that out of the way.  On the one hand, I was not on board with her poking her nose in on Zoe and Kevin's romance.  It feels like it was written very sitcom-tropey and played for light laughs a bit.  But it felt beneath her.  On the other hand, I liked the conversation she had with Kevin.  Her admitting her "schtick" with Kevin felt real and right.  I like that added complexity to their relationship.  I liked her flat out admitting she loved him.  And I especially liked her observation that he speaks to her kids like people, because that was one of the things I noticed about Kevin right off the the bat in S1 when I actively disliked him, except for that.

I will say I hope Zoe and Kevin prove Beth wrong.  I hope they are what each other needs finally to conquer whatever demons they both have.  I also think maybe the trip to Vietnam may be part of that.  I know we are supposed to get backstory on Beth this season so maybe that will encapsulate Zoe and we'll see why Beth thinks she is so destructive with romantic relationships. 

I know people rag on Randall, and sometimes he deserves it, but I loved how he was trying to be all stern with Deja only to visibly melt into delight when she pulled out his birthday gift.  That is peak Randall, and SKB does that so well.

And finally, I was as confused as anyone about the Franco Harris thing at first.  My first thought was that this was Beth's family.  But then the minute he started to put on the padding and finally the Harris jersey, i knew it was Franco.  Of course The Immaculate Reception was the first thing I thought of.  You couldn't grow up in my family and not know Steeler lore.  I figured Jack and Rebecca's date would tie in somehow with it.  I know it seems disconnected and corny, but I liked that little bit of connection/metaphor it provided.  Also wonder if they consulted Franco in any way?  Also I was tickled that some people on twitter were still thinking Franco was Beth's dad even after his identity was revealed.  Also great casting on the actor.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Random thoughts:

When they showed the "black guy" at the beginning I thought it was Deja's dad, then he put on the jersey and I screamed "no way....Franco Harris is her DAD!!!".  I was giddy.  (I'm old and remember him, I was about 10 and I made him Irish his name was Frank O'Harris, my dad never corrected me either).  I think they just put him in there to show that things are always what they seem to be (Steelers were supposed to lose and they didn't)

I think when Deja went to see her dad, she asked/demanded shoe money from him and I would almost bet that she had him sign something that he won't come out of the woodwork and protest the adoption.

Kate, STFU. And to the poster who said "dump her purse" (hope I got that right, lol).  OMG I love it, I've been on these boards since TWoP days and I've never heard that before...I'm going to use it IRL.

My biggest nitpick of the episode is how you gonna tell me that Franco's mom, let alone his dad were NOT AT THE GAME!!!!  really?  I'm a football mom, granted my kid is only in high school, he's been playing for 10 years and I've never missed a game and don't plan to, actually, I was teasing him the other day  that what ever college he goes to has to give him an allowance for me to travel to all his away games (its a joke, I know they can't do it).  

I thought it was going to end up being her dad as well. And I get what they were trying to do, sentiment wise, but I don’t know it was too much backstory on this football player.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I would almost bet that she had him sign something that he won't come out of the woodwork and protest the adoption.

I doubt that.  He most likely already did that before they went to court anyway. Plus, he has apparently shown zero interest in her since she was born, but even so, she would probably want him to want her.

5 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I was hoping at this point the show would get past everything being about her weight. 

It's a huge part of her life. It would be unrealistic not to acknowledge that.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

to the poster who said "dump her purse" (hope I got that right, lol).  OMG I love it, I've been on these boards since TWoP days and I've never heard that before...I'm going to use it IRL.

It’s a Breakfast Club reference. Ally Sheedy’s character literally dumps everything in her purse on the couch to invite everyone into her problems:

• Love 10
16 hours ago, Superpole2000 said:

Franco Harris' inclusion in this episode was a bit too Forrest Gump for me. I hope this show doesn't keep going down this path and force a connection between him and the fictional characters. It's so over the top.

I just don't get it. What is the football game's connection to the characters in this show? They make it too much of a frustrating guessing game. Either show his connection within the episode or do not use it. It becomes bait to get the viewers to keep going back and is manipulative. 

What did that football player have to do with Rebecca and Jack? Who are Randall and Tess going to visit? Who is the guy at the end who looks like Kevin? Is he the dad of the triplets? Enough with cliffhangers. Cliffhangers are usually disappointments after the reveal anyway because the viewers come up with more interesting ideas than the writers. That football segment was way too confusing. It's like a TV show version of "Where's Waldo" or a segment of "Colombo." Why do we have to connect the damn dots? Just tell the story.

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 7

I never thought Franco Harris was supposed to be Deja's father, because everything about his scenes screamed "1970's", and Deja would have been conceived around 2004. And I would desperately hope that someone who was an adult in the '70s wouldn't be Deja's father, because her mother was a teenager 30 years later when she had Deja.

As for Toby flushing the meds, I can unfortunately say that I completely believed it. People toss their antidepressants all the time in real life for even worse reasons. (As in, "I feel pretty happy now, so I don't need these pills anymore," or "I've just experienced a mild sexual side effect, so eff this!") Obviously it's not smart to quit antidepressants cold turkey, but it's sadly common.

Also, characters behaving super-impulsively is just part of the show, and I think the writers have done a pretty good job explaining it. Jack was ridiculously impulsive, and Rebecca thought it was charming and encouraged it. Which led to their kids adopting the same behavior. And of course Kate would fall for a man who acts like the father she idolized.

• Love 16
52 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I enjoyed everything about this except the Kate stuff.  I was hoping at this point the show would get past everything being about her weight. 

Yes!  This!  Does every single plot line involving Kate have to revolve around her weight?  On one hand, I get it - at that extreme of a weight her weight would probably have an impact on most things in her life.  But as an overweight woman myself, watching a tv show for entertainment purposes, it is just so very tiring and repetitive, and boring.  At this point you could fast forward over every scene with Kate and it wouldn't make a difference to anything else going on in the show.  Give her a job and show her with some non-weight related work issues, or something, for cripes sake.  I would think as an actor it has to get boring for her, too.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I doubt that.  He most likely already did that before they went to court anyway. Plus, he has apparently shown zero interest in her since she was born, but even so, she would probably want him to want her.

It's a huge part of her life. It would be unrealistic not to acknowledge that.

all we saw in court was the mother saying the father won't be a problem. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Franco Harris!  Man, I feel old that so many posters don't know who he is.  I had such a crush on him back in the day.

You and me both.  I didn't know who he was until he put the jersey on.  I should have realized it when his mom was talking, Franco Harris's mother was from Italy.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

all we saw in court was the mother saying the father won't be a problem. 

But, that's not legal.  Unless there was no father listed on the birth certificate, in which case I would doubt Deja would know who he was.  The judge would have something legally from the father and that was just said allowed for the record.

4 minutes ago, Bean421 said:

Kate just plowing ahead without her partner completely on board is a huge red flag. Infertility is rough for any marriage hopefully they can get some counseling. Between him flushing his antidepressants and her not being in the flash forward leaves me to believe they aren't together in the future. He seemed like he wasn't quite in the Pearson circle in the end. 

OTOH, Toby needs to use his words.  Kate probably thought that he was trying to make her feel better and engaging in sour grapes when he said he was glad that it hadn't worked out.  After all, she did the exact same thing.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But, that's not legal.  Unless there was no father listed on the birth certificate, in which case I would doubt Deja would know who he was.  The judge would have something legally from the father and that was just said allowed for the record.

We don't know if his name was even on the birth certificate.  Deja could have known who he was even if his name wasn't on that document.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I had a hard time feeling bad for Zoe. She chose to have sex with Kevin, knowing that she has a terrible poker face. I can't believe she actually expected him to skip HIS OWN BIRTHDAY PARTY just so Beth wouldn't figure it out. Girl, it's HIS birthday. If one of you should make an excuse not to be there, it's not the person who the birthday party is for.

Awww, I love that Madison is still friends with Kate and that she threw her such a beautiful birthday brunch.

Randall skipping around the house in his birthday hat was the cutest thing.

I want to hear more about Kevin dating Jennifer Love Hewitt. I loved him sitting on the stairs with Tess and Annie.

6 hours ago, debraran said:

They might show them talking to Deja more in another episode but he did chase her as she ran that day for quite a while. The conversation later was probably the typical you'd expect from Randall ; ) 

I'm sorry the Beth/Kevin thing was awful, he's 38, and you decide who he dates? My 24 year old was like, "How old is he and they are talking about hiding?"  Silly.

I didn't like Rebecca and Jack's first date, I know she came from money, but she should have guessed he didn't have a lot of money, especially with the umbrella. Was she broke? She could have offered to pay for something. Even back then, I paid for things when I didn't know someone well and later.  I guess she always seemed more sensitive than that to others feelings.

I don't know why the reversal of the IVP thing, most doctor's wouldn't do that. Of course it was a curve ball to the viewers. Maybe they want to show a miracle, maybe the downside of the procedure but I was hoping the show didn't go for the hidden punch all the time and did what they did the first year. Just good writing.

3 hours ago, greekmom said:

I am glad I am not the only one on the hate Kate train.  I found her very selfish in regards to having a baby and whining about her weight.  What mostly bothers me is the fact that she will learn that Toby tossed his meds and it looks like she is fine with it as long as she gets what she wants (baby).

If Toby was a diabetic and he tossed his insulin - would that still be ok Kate?

2 hours ago, QQQQ said:

And I was thinking, "Run, Rebecca, run." Granted, we know this fictional relationship (sorta) works out, but when guys say they're dealing with issues involving anger, money, and feeling lost (or something to that effect), I've seen too many female friends lose themselves playing mother/rescuer. 

Does anyone else know why the heck Madison adores Kate so much? Kate often really mean to people, like her mother, and they still coddle her. I guess she is exceptional.

Jack basically falls in lust with Rebecca, slowly wears her down by always looking at her jaw agape. Of course we are going to get the story of how he becomes a man “worthy” of such a prize (rolls eyes). Mandy’s seventies look does her no favors...it kind of makes her face look huge. Jack’s face actually looks dainty in comparison.

• Love 9

I would like to see Kate go to counseling and finally, gently, be told that she has to get out of the mindset of a sad overweight teen whose dad just died and thus gave up on herself in her grief.   Because I think she’s been stuck there forever, and it’s stopping her from seeing the things that have gone right in her life, and possibly making it harder to tackle her health issues.   

• Love 23
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I Googled "Matt Czuchry This is Us" and an article came up where the author just goes ahead and says it's him.  LOL!  I wonder if any fact-checking was done.  It very much looked like him, but my mind would be blown if it was actually him.  I will check the episode credits next.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2018/09/209203/this-is-us-recap-season-3-episode-1-premiere

Edited:  I don't think I saw his name in the credits.

At some angles it looks exactly like Matt, but when you really look it's like if Matt was wearing some weird prosthetics or something.  Also, why the hell would Rebecca have a stunned look on her face.  Unless they will explain it later.  It's so silly.  It's like they used a Matt doppelganger just to fuck with the Gilmore Girls fans.

logan.jpg

The actor’s name is Hunter Parrish according to this article posted on FB by Entertainment Weekly: https://www.facebook.com/52150999700/posts/10156920675029701/

I haven’t watched the ep yet but I’m super bummed it’s not Matt Czuchry! Just binge watched GG for the first time and loved him as Logan (yes I know - probably in the minority on that one lol).

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 4

I think what was confusing about the Franco Harris thing was that we both real and recreated footage of a real person.  Seeing his (fake) family and an actor portraying him really made the audience think it was supposed to be tied to the fictional Pearson family and the stories we are told every week.  If they had just used actual footage of the game and maybe interviews and other real portrayals of Harris it would have been clearer.  Of course, they WANT us to be confused.  

• Love 12
21 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

We don't know if his name was even on the birth certificate.  Deja could have known who he was even if his name wasn't on that document.  

Doesn't matter. The mother basically admitted she knew who the father was in court which means that they would have to have some kind of legal statement from him, not something second hand from her.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Katy M said:

OTOH, Toby needs to use his words.  Kate probably thought that he was trying to make her feel better and engaging in sour grapes when he said he was glad that it hadn't worked out.  After all, she did the exact same thing.

again, all we saw in court was the mother saying the father won't be a problem.  The writers could have made the judge say "I see I have the paperwork from the father giving up parental rights", but they didn't do that.   We know no more or no less than that.  I'm not saying you're wrong by any means - I just still think there's some ambiguity there.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

It's also the doctor doing the reversal of her decision after Kate and Toby accepted defeat.

And I guess, to take it even farther, Deaja allowing Beth and Randall to adopt her after her Britney Spears meltdown.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Maybe the writers like Franco Harris's story.  It's very interesting according to Wikipedia:  "His African-American father served in World War II; his mother was a "war bride" from Italy."  But regardless, they're just doing some storytelling to show Franco's day from the beginning with his family, to the big game, to being congratulated by them.

I was thinking it might tie in to Randall's mother's story. As Franco's sister (I'm assuming) is running out the door their mother yell's "Don't get pregnant". Which is exactly the kind of subtle foreshadowing this show likes. Or it could be Harris or his family is connected to Randall's mother in some way. 

• Love 5