Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01 Nine Bucks

Lady Calypso
  • Start Topic

Sorry if someone has answered this ( haven't read he thread yet) but what the hell does Franco Harris have to do with all this ?? The guy at the bike ( ?) shop was deja's dad, right, so it can't be Franco. And they included him too much to not tell in to the family drama. (As an aside, I remember seeing Franco play, for real. I'm old.)

Edit- I read the thread, I guess I get it now. So thanks to those who explained it. I think this way was a bit of a stretch, I mean people who aren't 50 might not even know who Franco Harris was-- my nephew, who is 30 and is big into football, only knows a little about OJ, who is much more famous ( and infamous) than Harris, so I think it's a bit confusing. But oh well.

Edited by willco
add something
  • Love 5

And we reunite with the Pearson's, crying and speeches and big gestures and all! Oh how I missed this show! 

Super interesting seeing Beth actually looking out for Kevin, and admitting that she actually does care about him. He and Zoe seem cute, but now I am rather concerned. She might end up breaking his messed up little heart! I hope to see Beth and Kevin bonding a bit, or, in general, Beth building relationships with the rest of the Pearson's. It seems like she isnt very close to any of them, as strong as her marriage to Randall is. The stuff with her and Kevin was really sweet. 

Kind of loved Randall getting some push back from Deja about the adoption. He means well, but Randall does get super caught up in his projects, and he clearly wants to "pay it forward" with Deja, kind of recreating his adoption. But, like Deja said, its not the same. 

The football guy was another in the long line of people tangentially involved with the Pearson's lives (like the guy who gave Jack the death appliance) who we see glimpses of their lives, to talk more about the similar beats that everyone goes through, no matter the time or person. 

• Love 15
9 minutes ago, AmandaPanda said:

You have to submit to a health assessment in order to be approved to adopt by most states. However, the purpose of the assessment is basically to state that the adoptive parent is likely to survive long enough to raise the child to adulthood. You don't have to be in perfect health. You just have to not be about to keel over. 

I remember watching some reality show about a girl going to her senior prom. She was making a dress, I think (maybe it was a design show? I forget). She was adopted by a single mother, and her mother was eighty years old, and not a spry 80, either - I remember it was a point that her mother couldn't help her with the sewing. I was shocked that that had gone through.

Although grandparents raise grandkids all the time and men can have kids until late in life, so I guess it's not so shocking. I think I was like 22 when I saw it and I remember thinking, wow. 

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, balmz said:

i wonder if it's zoe who is the her, it would explain randall and tess's relation to her and why toby doesn't feel it's right for him to be there

But, why would Randall specifically want Toby there if it's Zoe?  Or Beth?  I almost think it has to be Kate or their daughter.

1 minute ago, tennisgurl said:

The football guy was another in the long line of people tangentially involved with the Pearson's lives (like the guy who gave Jack the death appliance) who we see glimpses of their lives, to talk more about the similar beats that everyone goes through, no matter the time or person. 

The death appliance guy made more sense, though.  And we fully understood the point at the end of the epi without having to have it explained by people who happen to know a backstory not contained within the show.

• Love 12
Just now, WhosThatGirl said:

Or Rebecca.  

Only if they're trying for misdirection. Because, as far as we can see only RAndall and Tess are there. If it's Rebecca, why would Toby be the one person RAndall would choose to call?  I'm still voting for Toby and Kate's daughter.  That's someone Tess could have been close with.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Only if they're trying for misdirection. Because, as far as we can see only RAndall and Tess are there. If it's Rebecca, why would Toby be the one person RAndall would choose to call?  I'm still voting for Toby and Kate's daughter.  That's someone Tess could have been close with.

The others could have already been there though. It really has to be Kate, their child, or Rebecca. Anyone else I can’t think that Toby won’t be close to. 

I still thought this episode was boring. The last couple minutes were good but I was underwhelmed.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2

Good job casting Franco Harris, definitely looked like him.  And I guess I am very old and have watched way too much football in my time; as soon as they mentioned the amazing play, I thought it had to be 'The Immaculate Reception'.

HARRIS.jpg

• Love 21
41 minutes ago, AmandaPanda said:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought so! I was trying to figure out if The Resident was made by the same studio as This Is Us to see if he could have been allowed a cameo or something like that. 

They are both 20th Century Fox. And that part is so small (it's going to be maybe one or two other episodes). And while ratings are similar, there are now three new doctor shows on TV and This is Us gets all the buzz. It couldn't possibly hurt to let him if they had the time. 

But since we're literally the only ones talking about it, I doubt it. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

When Deja went into her diatribe at the sporting goods store I swear I thought they were going to cut to the guy and he was going to be like “I'm sorry I have no idea who you are or what you are talking about.”

And her ending point was “I need one thing from you. Shoes and then we can be done forever, bye!” 

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

The others could have already been there though. It really has to be Kate, their child, or Rebecca. Anyone else I can’t think that Toby won’t be close to. 

I still thought this episode was boring. The last couple minutes were good but I was underwhelmed.

Or he and Kate are divorced now and Randall “she would want you there” is not the same “she” as originally referred to.

24 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Toby's an idiot.  His sperm is way, way, way less of a problem if they are doing IVF since his sperm will be put up close and personal with the eggs and so they don't have to be as plentiful or as quick.   I mean it is a sweet gesture and everything but it is also incredibly stupid!

TV shows seem to specialize in getting IVF wrong. With a low sperm count or low motility, ICSI would likely be recommended, not going off meds.

Just now, deaja said:

Or he and Kate are divorced now and Randall “she would want you there” is not the same “she” as originally referred to.

TV shows seem to specialize in getting IVF wrong. With a low sperm count or low motility, ICSI would likely be recommended, not going off meds.

I also thought Toby and Kate were no longer together. He was sitting in bed and yeah he was alone but I kept thinking that the other side of the bed looked like someone else could be coming in or something. 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, AmandaPanda said:

I thought the connection to the football player was that he was the one who threw the Immaculate Reception, which was the night that Jack and Rebecca met? 

He caught the immaculate reception, Terry Bradshaw threw it. The owner of the team, Mr. Rooney, didn't even expect the Steelers to win. He was in an elevator win it happened and came out to all the excitement. I didn't think Jack and Rebecca were together for like 8 years before the kids were born. That play was in 1972 and it looked way too warm at the carnival, yes, she asked for hot cocoa, but, that was 12/23. In the 'burgh it's freezing at that time of year, same as the super bowl.  Although it does make sense that Jack would have just been home from the war for 6 months at that point.

Edited by Mom2twoNonna2one
more dets
  • Love 6

I wish Toby had pushed back with Kate more.  His reasoning for not doing the IVF are valid.  Beside the issue with his antidepressants, IVF is an expensive, emotional process.  Their chances of conceiving are already low.  Kate got swept up in the whole idea of a second chance, but knowing her, she's not going to compromise.  I was surprised that no one mentioned adoption, given that Randall's adoption had such an impact on their family.  Granted, adoption is no easy thing to do either, but at least they have a little more choice into what's happening.

When Kate basically dumped her purse at the birthday party, all I could think of was how awkward it was.  But people only exist to hear the Pearson's problems.

I didn't care about Jack and Rebecca's first date.  We already know they'll live happily ever after, regardless of the other guy.  And I don't need to see anymore of how Jack is the greatest guy who ever lived and no one compares, blah blah.  I'm more interested in seeing what happened in Vietnam.

I liked the twist that Beth is trying to protect Kevin.  It's not just shtick; I really don't think she likes him most of the time.  Not that she hates him or wishes him ill, just that she doesn't like him and finds him annoying.

Deja was right to tell Randall off the way she did.  He means well, but he can't get out of his own head and his own experiences.  I guess her busting the car windshield is water under the bridge?

Hope to see more of Kate and Annie this season.  I still think the woman they're visiting in the flashforward is Annie.  :(

• Love 18
8 minutes ago, deaja said:

With a low sperm count or low motility, ICSI would likely be recommended, not going off meds.

In fairness nobody recommended hm going off his meds.  The doctor said his meds might be a contributing factor to his sperm issues so he decided on his own and without medical advice to go off his meds.   Hence my calling Toby an idiot.  

• Love 22
8 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I also thought Toby and Kate were no longer together. He was sitting in bed and yeah he was alone but I kept thinking that the other side of the bed looked like someone else could be coming in or something. 

My first thought was definitely that Toby and Kate are no longer together. There was the strange lingering shot of Toby in bed alone in a very bland and mostly empty room, which didn't feel like a bedroom at all, but it also felt like it was cold, as if Toby wasn't waiting for anyone in particular....or his marriage is seriously in jeopardy at that point. I don't know where Kate is, but I didn't think it looked like she was going to be sleeping in that bed with Toby. 

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, Katy M said:

If it's Rebecca, why would Toby be the one person RAndall would choose to call? 

Perhaps because Toby's the one person who's not already there: he's still in his and Kate's hotel room. I'm guessing Kate and Kevin are already with their mother, who's the "her" in hospice. 

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I liked the twist that Beth is trying to protect Kevin.  It's not just shtick; I really don't think she likes him most of the time.  Not that she hates him or wishes him ill, just that she doesn't like him and finds him annoying.

Deja was right to tell Randall off the way she did.  He means well, but he can't get out of his own head and his own experiences.  I guess her busting the car windshield is water under the bridge?

Hope to see more of Kate and Annie this season.  I still think the woman they're visiting in the flashforward is Annie.  :(

Until halfway through the first season, Kevin and Randall had kind of a distant relationship, so I can see Beth having gotten used to a certain way of interacting with Kevin and not being that warm with him.  He was a fun and nice uncle to their kids, but for most of Beth's time knowing him, he wasn't terribly close to Randall.  

I'm actually ok with them not doing much more with the car windshield.  I hated that they did that -- like, Deja being (understandably) upset and lashing out wasn't enough, they had to have some big dramatic scene of her destroying Randall's car for no reason.  I would've been happy if they never brought it up again.  Because it was dumb. 

I hope it's not Annie!  :(

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

He caught the immaculate reception, Terry Bradshaw threw it. The owner of the team, Mr. Rooney, didn't even expect the Steelers to win. He was in an elevator win it happened and came out to all the excitement. I didn't think Jack and Rebecca were together for like 8 years before the kids were born. That play was in 1972 and it looked way too warm at the carnival, yes, she asked for hot cocoa, but, that was 12/23. In the 'burgh it's freezing at that time of year, same as the super bowl.  Although it does make sense that Jack would have just been home from the war for 6 months at that point.

I thought the same thing, outdoor carnivals don't happen in Pittsburgh in December. Also, the rain would've been freezing rain or sleet.  In December, the high temps average low 40's.  At night, it would be well below freezing.

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I wish Toby had pushed back with Kate more.  His reasoning for not doing the IVF are valid.  Beside the issue with his antidepressants, IVF is an expensive, emotional process.  Their chances of conceiving are already low.  Kate got swept up in the whole idea of a second chance, but knowing her, she's not going to compromise.  I was surprised that no one mentioned adoption, given that Randall's adoption had such an impact on their family.  Granted, adoption is no easy thing to do either, but at least they have a little more choice into what's happening.

When Kate basically dumped her purse at the birthday party, all I could think of was how awkward it was.  But people only exist to hear the Pearson's problems.

I didn't care about Jack and Rebecca's first date.  We already know they'll live happily ever after, regardless of the other guy.  And I don't need to see anymore of how Jack is the greatest guy who ever lived and no one compares, blah blah.  I'm more interested in seeing what happened in Vietnam.

Yeah I’m curious on who is funding the IVF process. Also I think Toby was possibly going to mention adoption, he said “there are other ways..” I also foresee this being heartbreaking for Kate as well. 

And yeah I was ob Dejas side regarding Randall’s big speech. He did have two dads that wanted him. I know Randall probably always assumed the opposite but even in his speech, he acknowledged tht he got to know him. Deja’s mom gave her up. 

I do t know if I needed to see Rebecca and jacks first date. I would like to see both of their stories before they met.  Also I’m curious about life after jacks death. We know Kate had a better handle on her weight before he died and she and Randall got close during the time after.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, milner said:

This is probably not pc but Kate’s whining about never getting a break annoyed me. She probably can’t have a baby because of her weight. Her weight is NOT the result of a“bad break”.  She reminds me of a woman on 90days who is always crying that life’s not fair. Also I totally agree with the poster who said the dr should have told her to  continue with her weight loss until she can safely handle anesthesia. Not to mention how it would improve her chances of carrying a baby and being around as it grows up. 

Yeah.. her “bad break” is something she can work on and change. I get that losing weight is tough but she has sort of been told she needs to change it to have a baby.  And she knows she has a weight problem, she went to a group to work on it. 

• Love 19

I'm more than over being told a character is "an exceptional person", when I've seen no evidence of it.  But apparently I will be Made to Care.  

What a miserable wretched crap premiere.  Last year I missed the first ep, but enjoyed much of the season.  Fingers crossed: not a sign.

OTOH, if they're bumping Franco Harris to recurring, I'm...in.

• Love 9

Alright so halfway through I started skimming the forums because the responses are the same, and I agree with them. But I really thought when the reproductive endocrinologist called Toby and Kate back, it would be because she was willing to do an egg retrieval if they used a surrogate. And the normal weight Overeaters member was throwing her brunch, where she unloaded everything. So I kind of thought that was all going to come together. 

Also, the football player thing was crazy confusing, and should not have been part of a premiere of the 3rd season of a show. There shouldn’t be that much confusion. Not knowing what happens, like Randall and Annie, yes. But confusion over what ur even seeing...hard no

• Love 9
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

When Deja went into her diatribe at the sporting goods store I swear I thought they were going to cut to the guy and he was going to be like “I'm sorry I have no idea who you are or what you are talking about.”

Yeah, I didn't remember anything about her birth dad, so I was confused.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, truebluesmoky said:

Haven’t we been told that the flash forward with Tess and Randall is an important part of the end of everyone’s story? If so, Rebecca makes the most sense.

That is my feeling as well. There was a huge ongoing mystery about Jack’s death. Why wouldn’t there be one about Rebecca’s? It would kind of bookend. The time period would be about right, as Rebecca would be old enough in the flash forward for her death not to be “tragically young.”

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, voiceover said:

I'm more than over being told a character is "an exceptional person", when I've seen no evidence of it.  But apparently I will be Made to Care.  

What a miserable wretched crap premiere.  Last year I missed the first ep, but enjoyed much of the season.  Fingers crossed: not a sign.

OTOH, if they're bumping Franco Harris to recurring, I'm...in.

Who is the "exceptional person?"  I missed that part.

It’s just so staged and fake.

This is a tv show filmed on several soundstages.

Speaking of sounding fake, why does Milo do that weird voice/accent for this character? It sounds like he has rocks in his mouth and is attempting to sound Southern. 

He has a speech impediment. His accent probably shifts with each role. He didn't sound like this on Heroes either.

I’ve never had anyone come up to me and spit out a 2-minute monologue while I silently listened

It's a way to demonstrate that thing that some of us experience when we're ruminating on an awkward situation and we think of all the things we should have said. It's a device to deliver the  "I shoulda said!" we all experience after bad dates or general interactions.

I'm just going to mute all the Beth hate because I honestly want her to be my BFF. I love a smart, strong intelligent woman, but I loved Julia Sugarbaker and Murphy Brown back in the day *shrug*. Her talk with Kevin was honest and just what someone who constantly gets smoke blown up his ass needs. After addiction and Sophie Kevin deserves a nice easy romance.

I loved Jack and Rebecca in the truck.

Sigh Toby and Kate should take the IVF money and hire a surrogate. They probably couldn't adopt because of Toby's depression, heart condition and both their weights.

Still love this show!

Edited by Drumpf1737
  • Love 18

I thought Jack and Rebecca first date was them getting burgers and going to a concert that got rained out so they just sat in the car. Rebecca tried recreating it last season 

Also speaking of last season I thought Rebecca brain tumor scare was random so maybe it her they visiting has something to do with that everyone already in room and Randle calling Toby to come support Kate even tho they are broken up/going through a rough time 

• Love 4

I don't even understand what the football game had to do with anything. Was it a metaphor? 

And was that blond guy an old boyfriend of Rebecca's? He looked like Kevin. 

I still think Randall and Tess were going to see Daysha. And in some way Toby is connected to Daysha. Did Kate form some bond with Daysha and did she go to live with Toby and Kate while remaining close to Randall and Beth and their two kids? 

2 hours ago, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

That makes me wonder if Jack and Rebecca didn't get together after the carnival date. The other guy is at her door with flowers, Jack drives off... And months or a couple years could go by before they reunite, get married and get pregnant. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Who is the "exceptional person?"  I missed that part.

Deja.  Randall said it while they were at the building, and last year I believe it was tossed around some more.  With no proof other than: they're willing us to believe it.  I actually see exceptionalism in Tess and Annie.  I'd rather spend more time with them.  

I'll handwave that the burger date was Jack&Rebecca's "real" first date, as opposed to how this one was: Love at First Sight/Take Her to a Carnival.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

That's actually the SNL skit about the show.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I loved Beth and Kevin's conversation where she told him she loved him.

I am glad Kate is hopeful but wish she would also look into adoption (I say this as an adoptive mother)

Bless you! And I loved that conversation, too. Although when Beth said that Kevin talks to her girls like they're not kids, I thought, Kevin's just finding his own level. It's not like he's such an adult himself. 

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I wasn't going to comment on that, because I was afraid I'd be misunderstood, but I was surprised that nobody accused her of stealing them. Randall said they were expensive, and she can't have much money.  But, maybe they just didn't want to do it at the table in front of everyone and they will ask her for specifics later.  That's actually pretty reasonable.

And the "reasonableness" of it is why I immediately discount it as a Big Three strategy.  :-)  But maybe Beth thinks that way. 

3 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

That was an interesting twist where Beth revealed to Kevin that she wasn't trying to protect Zoe from him, she's worried he'll be the one who gets crushed.   

Yes, that was a surprise to me, although there was probably something last season that should have clued me in. 

2 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Really, anyone who's in contact with the Pearson circle for any length of time just has to be used to the constant drama. 

I'm afraid it's Annie only because, otherwise she should be there or have been mentioned along with Tess. 

2 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

I hope it's not Annie!  :(

Because this can't be said too many times!

1 hour ago, voiceover said:

Yes, as someone upthread said (sorry, I must've missed a quote) this show is big on Telling not Showing. 

• Love 4

1. Toby going off his meds is idiotic
2. I am surprised the doctor doesn't want to have Kate even try to lose some weight before starting hormones and everything - I imagine at that weight, every pound lost helps

• Love 16

I didn't love this premier for the direction they are going in this season.  I know they need their drama, but Toby is being irresponsible by going off his medication without discussing it with his doctor.  I hate that he is putting his mental and emotional health at risk in order to give Kate the baby she wants so desperately.  I hate that Kate didn't talk with him after the fertility doctor changed her mind.  I hate that she didn't even stop and consider what he had said about his meds and sperm count, before deciding to go forward.  I hate that Kate is willing to put her own life at risk to have a baby.  Who is going to raise this child if Kate dies and if Toby can't recover from his depression spiral? 

The Deja story line continues to feel wrong.  It feels like Randall is on some mission that has less to do with Deja and more to do with himself.  It's not really fair to Deja to put his needs on her, and it's not fair to Tess and Annie who have to watch their dad pour all his energy into Deja at their expense.

Kevin is all good now?  No more addiction, no more depression?  Or does the show deliberately intend that his issues be papered over and forgotten again as part of the usual family dynamic, therapy be damned?  I adored him with the girls, though, as well as his conversation with Beth. 

The whole football thing was lost on me.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 10

I had a hard time feeling bad for Zoe. She chose to have sex with Kevin, knowing that she has a terrible poker face. I can't believe she actually expected him to skip HIS OWN BIRTHDAY PARTY just so Beth wouldn't figure it out. Girl, it's HIS birthday. If one of you should make an excuse not to be there, it's not the person who the birthday party is for.

Awww, I love that Madison is still friends with Kate and that she threw her such a beautiful birthday brunch.

Randall skipping around the house in his birthday hat was the cutest thing.

I want to hear more about Kevin dating Jennifer Love Hewitt. I loved him sitting on the stairs with Tess and Annie.

• Love 21

The inclusion of The Immaculate Reception amuses me because it was only going to mean something to half the people watching, and I like that the writers were ok with that.

I’m too young to have been a live viewer of it, and at first I was like “is this a new character...?” but then when he put the Harris jersey on I knew where they were going.  A lot of fans of the NFL know that play regardless of age, Steelers fan or not (not, here, but that play is brought up all the time.)

• Love 4