Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

My least favorite of all the episodes so far.

Yep, me too. I don't know the sick girl nor do I watch the bachelor. So it was a bust of an episode for me.

• Love 1

I can never escape The Bachelor, even when the season has ended!! Although having watched this season (to my eternal shame) it was certainly appropriate that the one word Rory got from it was virgin, everyone's favorite word of the season!

So Poppy and Douglas huh? I can get behind that.

• Love 2

I figured everyone would like this episode since it was so light on the kids and their storyline. From what I've understood from these boards, people have a problem with the kids.

1 hour ago, Aryanna said:

I figured everyone would like this episode since it was so light on the kids and their storyline. From what I've understood from these boards, people have a problem with the kids.

I don't really have a problem with the kids.  I think Will does look better with the beard, I am not normally a fan of facial hair.  I don't watch any iteration of the Bachelor/Bachelorette so that storyline bored me. 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I don't really have a problem with the kids.  I think Will does look better with the beard, I am not normally a fan of facial hair.  I don't watch any iteration of the Bachelor/Bachelorette so that storyline bored me. 

Yes, I think Will looks much better with the beard. And his self confidence in this episode helped quite a bit too.

I don't have a problem with him being the way he is or the kind of dad he is for Sophie, I think my problem is him kowtowing to Douglas. I liked when he stood up to Douglas' selfish face in this ep.

• Love 3

The kids acted more like kids (once they got to the school) than usual, actually. But I don't usually mind them anyway.

It was the adults who annoyed me this week. I don't really think The Bachelor needs product placement on this show. And I can live with it if they want to promote the relationship between Poppy and Douglas, but them leaving Angie at the mansion was too much for me. 

I actually liked Will, but him dating his boss would be a terrible idea, so that plot was not ultimately enjoyable for me, either. Making it not happen because she's staying with the inertia of a relationship she doesn't like is not a real remedy for the essential issue that wanting to date your boss is a bad idea. Will seems to have a thing for unavailable women, but I do like that he prefers women he also likes as friends.

• Love 1
On 3/14/2019 at 10:59 PM, tennisgurl said:

So Poppy and Douglas huh? I can get behind that.

They've been building to this during the season and, of all the potential couple iterations, I like this one the most.  I just wish the breakthrough might have happened during an episode with a little more of them together.

Having a celebrity guest this early in the series--or heck, ever really, didn't work.  Especially The Bachelor dude.  Everyone knows that show is largely produced so having him play romance guru was just eye roll inducing.

I low key loved the old timey family the kids were going to have a sleepover with.  It tickled me.  I can't believe this show is trying to build a love story between Will and his boss in the #metoo era.  I know it happens and can happen without anyone feeling manipulated but she does have a lot of power over him at their job.  And he's intimidated by her. 

• Love 2

Anyone else wonder where baby Jack was?? The older kids were supposed to be at a sleepover, the women at the Bachelor Mansion, and the guys at the club. I guess we're supposed to believe Miggy has a babysitter we've never seen or even heard about.

• Love 2

The writers seem to  be out of gas. Two episodes in a row focused on Will as sex object (or not)? Boring.

Rory was rude. He did look better in the beret than Miggy did, though.

This was the first time I was not able to just accept the overly adult portrayal of the kids, Rory and Sophie, specifically.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

This was the first time I was not able to just accept the overly adult portrayal of the kids, Rory and Sophie, specifically.

This was lampshaded in this episode when Poppy says to Will's daughter: I sometimes forget I'm not talking to an adult when I talk to you.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

Rory was rude. He did look better in the beret than Miggy did, though.

I thought Miggy looked better, actually.  I was sad for no Prince reference, though, especially given the color of the hat.

• Love 5
On 3/15/2019 at 11:03 AM, Aryanna said:

IMO they've been making a little effort in toning down the kids a bit...for example, this episode had them making up ghost stories to scare one another, which is way more typical for 7-year-olds than wittily assessing their parents' love lives.  

• Love 1

I'm just not a fan of any storyline where someone who's bad with money uses the excuse of "my life is hard so I spend irresponsibly because it makes me feel better" and we're all supposed to feel bad for them.  Boo-freakin'-hoo, chick from Gossip Girl whose name I can't remember.  Life is hard for everyone but you don't see the rest of us visiting Starbucks three times a day.  

• Love 4

I think this is one of the pitfalls of a long 22 episode season. The show works much better when the group is together. The segregated nature of the show will always make those episodes lack cohesion. Still, I will still watch. The cast is so good. 

3 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I'm just not a fan of any storyline where someone who's bad with money uses the excuse of "my life is hard so I spend irresponsibly because it makes me feel better" and we're all supposed to feel bad for them.  Boo-freakin'-hoo, chick from Gossip Girl whose name I can't remember.  Life is hard for everyone but you don't see the rest of us visiting Starbucks three times a day.  

Especially when it’s exemplified as $28 cupcake bites. 

Also, if you are spending money on expedited shipping sign up for AmazonPrime and get your grocery staples from there which is cheaper than a gas station.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Also, if you are spending money on expedited shipping sign up for AmazonPrime and get your grocery staples from there which is cheaper than a gas station.

Ugh.  I forgot about the stupid "convenience tax" thing.  That made no sense either.  Most grocery stores have gas stations in their parking lots so if she's that pressed for time, then just use the one there before or after you do your grocery shopping.   Also, her kid's old enough that taking him on most of those errands she listed shouldn't be a hassle.  Your third grader (or however old the kids on this show are supposed to be) can wait in line with you, it won't kill them.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Snapdragon said:

Ugh.  I forgot about the stupid "convenience tax" thing.  That made no sense either.  Most grocery stores have gas stations in their parking lots so if she's that pressed for time, then just use the one there before or after you do your grocery shopping.   Also, her kid's old enough that taking him on most of those errands she listed shouldn't be a hassle.  Your third grader (or however old the kids on this show are supposed to be) can wait in line with you, it won't kill them.   

I think pretty much everyone has a built in convenience tax for something in their life. A prime account, occasionally buying something at a more expensive place for the sake of time, the occasional take out when you're tired and don't want to cook, breakfast on the go so you can get 15 extra minutes of sleep etc. The problem is her whole life is a convenience tax. That is not sustainable and it makes it hard to feel bad for her.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Most grocery stores have gas stations in their parking lots

Not where I live.  The only store that has a gas station nearby is Costco.  The local grocery store has a gas station nearby, but getting from one to the other is a hassle (and it's one of the more expensive stations).

• Love 3
On 3/21/2019 at 7:21 PM, Snapdragon said:

When I worked at a bank, there was a young woman who keeps calling us boo-hooing about the fees she keeps racking up. The reason her account keeps getting overdrawn? Multiple trips to Starbucks every day and other nonsense.

Watching Angie brought back bad memories of this girl. Angie's spending was annoying me but the $28 teeney tiny cupcakes pushed me over the edge. If you want to spend, go for it. But don't complain about how you can't afford something for your kid.

• Love 2
On 3/20/2019 at 11:06 AM, SnarkySheep said:

Anyone else wonder where baby Jack was?? The older kids were supposed to be at a sleepover, the women at the Bachelor Mansion, and the guys at the club. I guess we're supposed to believe Miggy has a babysitter we've never seen or even heard about.

I'm always keeping track of where the kids are! For instance, if Will has been working 3 nights a week, and will now be working 28 nights in a row, who has been and will be watching Sophie? If the show were really serious about the problems of single parents, what to do with Sophie so that he can work would be Will's #1 problem. He really has one of the most inconvenient jobs for a single parent. 

As to Jack, we've seen that his mom has taken him at least once, so I assumed he was with her. I would like to know where Miggy's parents are, and why, if they exist, we've never seen them involved.

On 3/21/2019 at 2:10 PM, morakot said:
On 3/21/2019 at 4:15 AM, possibilities said:

This was lampshaded in this episode when Poppy says to Will's daughter: I sometimes forget I'm not talking to an adult when I talk to you.

Yes. Next to the other kids, including the twins, Graham appears simple-minded. If I were Angie, I'd be concerned. 

On 3/22/2019 at 12:01 AM, biakbiak said:

Amazon Prime takes at least 1 day, probably 2. Angie needs her milk or salsa NOW. Her real problem is not planning ahead.ETA: biakbiak pointed out that in LA, Amazon Now would deliver in under 2 hours.

Also, there's no way Graham would have participated in a sport like ice hockey.  (Douglas' girls would probably love it .) And he really doesn't know the difference between hockey and diving? What was the magazine/brochure he gave Angie when he announced he was taking up hockey? How simple is he?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Amazon Prime takes at least 1 day, probably 2. Angie needs her milk or salsa NOW. Her real problem is not planning ahead.

She lives in LA she can get Amazon Now delivery in under 2 hours which is still cheaper.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Who watches Jack when Miggy is working?

Does Angie unload Graham every morning on the way to school when she goes in to get her latte from her barista?

Since Miggy work in a bar, does that mean he work nights? Maybe one of the other parents watch Jack. Not that it's shown on tv so who knows? Although the group seems to rotate sleepovers often.

• Love 1
On 3/24/2019 at 9:08 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

What was the magazine/brochure he gave Angie when he announced he was taking up hockey? How simple is he?

It was a sports equipment catalog (apparently, the school wants all kids to get their equipment from the same store, regardless of the sport they're playing).

• Love 2
On 3/24/2019 at 11:08 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I'm always keeping track of where the kids are! For instance, if Will has been working 3 nights a week, and will now be working 28 nights in a row, who has been and will be watching Sophie? If the show were really serious about the problems of single parents, what to do with Sophie so that he can work would be Will's #1 problem. He really has one of the most inconvenient jobs for a single parent.

It doesn't matter because Sophie is a 27 year old in an 8 year old's body.

Seriously though, you make a good point. These people really don't have single parent problems. Their kids are only there when it's convenient for the story. They don't have to worry about getting someone to sit their kids.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Aryanna said:

It doesn't matter because Sophie is a 27 year old in an 8 year old's body.

Seriously though, you make a good point. These people really don't have single parent problems. Their kids are only there when it's convenient for the story. They don't have to worry about getting someone to sit their kids.

It's kind of a mix. Sometimes it's a plot point about how one parent has to watch all the kids so that the other parents can do their own thing (especially when it's Douglas' turn) and other times it's ignored completely.  They also gloss over how much more difficult it would be to watch Jack along with the other kids, which occasionly happens, unles he always sleeps through the night or playdate in his stroller without needing to be changed, fed, amused or comforted. So, not a real toddler.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
On 3/24/2019 at 12:08 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Does it need to be serious though, considering  it is a sitcom? As for Will I think he has an awesome job for a single parent. A tv weather reporter works what a couple of hours a night? Considering his group of friends and what I assume is a decent paying job he shouldn't have too much problem finding childcare I don't think. I mean if fucking Olivia Benson who seems to have no friends outside of the people she works with and no family can find care for her weiner kid then Will should have no problem finding someone for Sophie.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 3/31/2019 at 10:13 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

I mean if fucking Olivia Saint Benson who seems to have no friends outside of the people she works with and no family can find care for her weiner kid then Will should have no problem finding someone for Sophie.

Fixed it for ya'!

Thanks for the snort!  I'll take any of these sitcom kids over the little brat Noah.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, memememe76 said:

This was the best episode in awhile. Loved seeing those three women again. I liked the boyfriend, but I gather the actor has a regular gig lined up next season.

I hope so. I really enjoy Andy Favreau. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I hope so. I really enjoy Andy Favreau. 

The Favreaus produced successful kids! (His brother Jon is a former Obama speechwriter and now hosts the very successful podcast "Pod Save America.")

I initially thought "Wow, they aged Leighton Meester down, she's only supposed to be 29" but IRL she's only 32. She seems older to me for some reason. I thought she was 35-ish.

• Love 1

I figured that things wouldn't last with Angie and her boyfriend, but that was still sad to watch. I am glad he told her the truth about the party though, thats a pretty messed up thing to do. "I might be a sociopath, I just texted my therapist." 

I thought that was the best episode they had in awhile, probably because most of the cast got to interact. And I loved seeing the book club ladies unleash their rage with fake Slayer! Take that, sitting congressman who talked shit about Michelle Obama!

• Love 8

I love the continuity of Angie loving hard rock/death metal and liked the birthday. I guess they are moving forward with an Angie/Will pairing since he knows her so well.  Sad about Andy Favreau because he is pretty and I liked looking at him.

They need to tone Rory down. He was cute at first, but lately has become an unbearable bitch. I get he's a drama queen but he's also just mean and that's not fun. The twins should've knocked him down.

• Love 12

Was this episode filmed prior to The Bachelor episode? I noticed that Poppy and Mark were still together and I thought they broke up a while ago so the show could move forward with Douglas/Poppy. As an aside, her wig is so distracting to me. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, xander874 said:

They need to tone Rory down. He was cute at first, but lately has become an unbearable bitch. I get he's a drama queen but he's also just mean and that's not fun. The twins should've knocked him down.

Agree. I know people on here complain about the kids being written as adults in little bodies but that just strains the suspension of disbelief. Rory is actually mean to people and that's not fun to watch. He was a jerk to Miggy on the last episode. Or was the one before that? Oh, you know what I mean.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/5/2019 at 3:24 PM, Aryanna said:

Rory is actually mean to people and that's not fun to watch. He was a jerk to Miggy on the last episode. Or was the one before that? Oh, you know what I mean.

Yes, or when Graham actually hit his mom's boyfriend in the face and had zero repercussions, only the adults' concern about his upset/sad/hurt feelings. That would have been the perfect teachable moment to explain that everyone gets upset but it is NEVER an excuse to hit someone.

Re: coffee - I really don't get why people always make such a huge deal about making coffee at home or work, both on TV and IRL. I always put my percolator on first, then fill my travel mug after getting dressed, taking the dog out, etc. It takes literally three minutes altogether. 

As for home coffee being "so gross" (demonstrated oh-so-charmingly by Angie spitting her mouthful back into the cup) your home options nowadays are basically limitless. Why couldn't Angie use that expedited shipping to order a French press or something? SMH

Edited by SnarkySheep
  • Love 1

The "Will they or won't they" of Will and Angie is inevitably going to be more interesting than if these two get together. They're both somewhat nice and neurotic. The idea of watching them together just doesn't intrigue me.

I get that the kids are caricatures, and that the kid who plays Rory is surprisingly capable for a kid his age. But his ego is out of control. 

• Love 4

I know these kids don’t act like real kids but, having spent a lot of time recently with my nieces/nephews/godkids/random friends’ kids, I don’t want to watch a sitcom with realistic 7-year-olds.  Love those little monsters in my life, however, I don’t want to spend an half hour after a long day at work watching a show about them.  

I’m okay with cute kiddies delivering lines probably more suited for teens as long as I’m entertained.  I’m entertained.  

I think I’ve got the twins down — Amy has the dot and is the one good at math.  Emma is the other one. 

Another styling note - Sophie almost always wears a purse strapped acrossed her chest.  Also, Graham (?-Angie’s son) wears shirts with animals on them.  

I like that Bunnie Ears’ followers (or warren) are proliferating.  And I like the weird girl.  “I died on a boat.”  - or whatever the line was.  While brushing her faux-American Girl doll. I was that kid around the 4th grade or so. 

• Love 7

I was a little disappointed in this episode.  When Douglas admitted he wanted to be with Poppy instead of the club and then they kissed, I had hope we'd have at least one of the potential couples on this show enter into coupledom with relative reality.  A few episodes ago they realized they were each interest, this episode pretty much let the other know that it was mutual.  So the next step should probably be dating not pulling back.

But I did love the end when Rory wanted the students to bow down to him.  Douglas and Poppy's reaction was priceless.

• Love 3

I liked that Douglas was open about preferring to spend time with Poppy. I didn't expect that from him. And then when she suggested talking, he was all "okay, let's talk." He didn't deflect or get gruff. I was surprised.

I was glad when Poppy said she'd been too supportive of Rory. I hope they don't just reset and go back to the same gags with Rory being out of control.

I have mixed feelings about a show about single parents pairing them all off with each other. I think it's actually fairly realistic, though. They spend a lot of time together, deal with fairly serious and somewhat intimate aspects of each others' lives, they support each other and they accept each others' children. Some inclination to pair off is not that unexpected.

• Love 9

I love the weird creepy girl who keeps popping up. "In my past life, I died in a boat." And that bunny ears kept getting more bunny eared followers. 

I feel like Angie and Will is basically inevitable, but I am more rooting for Douglas and Poppy. Yeah its tricky because they're friends and with the kids and their very different personalities, but I still really like the idea of them getting together. 

• Love 5
On 4/12/2019 at 2:46 AM, tennisgurl said:

I love the weird creepy girl who keeps popping up. "In my past life, I died in a boat."

It is the weirdest thing but really funny. When Miggy was complaining about how his golf pro girlfriend keeps dressing him, Graham said how that girl kept making him wear a pocket watch.

• Love 4