Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

“Ronald Reagan’s White House Collectible Pen” – Will is thrilled to throw the first-grade parent social so that he can use this event to springboard his anti-smartphone platform to get parents to wait to buy their kids cellphones until eighth grade. He ropes his new love interest, Dr. Dewan (Hannah Simone), into helping him, but his plan doesn’t work out quite like he had hoped. Douglas offers to have the social at his house so he can exact revenge on his rival dermatologist, Mark, whom Douglas is convinced stole his prized pen, on an all-new episode of “Single Parents,” WEDNESDAY, DEC. 5 (9:31-10:00 p.m. EST), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

“The Magic Box” – When Owen shows up unexpectedly on Christmas Eve with a gift for Angie, she desperately seeks out help from Will finding a present for Owen last minute. While doing so, Angie learns how bad Will is at giving Sophie good Christmas presents, or so it seems. While Graham begins to doubt the existence of Santa Claus altogether, the group worries Miggy may still believe in him. Meanwhile, Douglas invites Poppy, who is dealing with her first Christmas without Rory, to compete in a series of cutthroat Christmas-themed competitions, on an all-new episode of “Single Parents,” WEDNESDAY, DEC. 12 (9:31-10:00 p.m. EST), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

This episode showed me that they could really go a LOT lighter on having the kids in the episodes.  It was a much better flow and I like that the pediatrician can't stop herself from liking dorky WIll.  

• Love 5
On 12/1/2018 at 8:54 PM, biakbiak said:

My niece and goddaughter are 6 and 7 respectively and they most definitely have longer attention spans than that they both love Miss Marple and Poirot. Not every kid has a short attention span.

At 6 and 7 years old they are reading murder mysteries?

10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I love Will and the pedestrian, they are so weirdly cute together. I am totally alright with them just having the parents in the episode sometimes. 

Ha ha...Were you typing this on your phone? Because it changed pediatrician to pedestrian. I was like whaaa?

I agree that it's alright to have just the parents sometimes but the show is called Single Parents. Meaning they have kids. And I'm not as bothered by the kids as most of you seem to be.

• Love 6
On 12/7/2018 at 12:56 AM, Gothish520 said:

At 6 and 7 years old they are reading murder mysteries?

Well the 7 year old reads at a 10th grade level so she could but no I was referring to the PBS/BBC productions streaming on Netflix because the issue was whether or not Sophie would be old enough to be following a tv drama with Poppy.

• Love 3
On 12/7/2018 at 9:10 AM, Aryanna said:

Ha ha...Were you typing this on your phone? Because it changed pediatrician to pedestrian. I was like whaaa?

I agree that it's alright to have just the parents sometimes but the show is called Single Parents. Meaning they have kids. And I'm not as bothered by the kids as most of you seem to be.

Yeah, but they can have an episode every once in a while without the kids. Probably some labor laws that made it so they didn't want to have the kids in this episode.

• Love 2

I think again, it is not so much child enjoying these things as I just don’t believe this particular child is like that. The actress seems quite bright  and mature but not to the extent the show wants me to believe.

• Love 1

Is Will no longer with the pediatrician? Weren't they all hot an heavy just last week? Also, are they planning to pair off the parents so they're no longer single? Between him and Angie, and Poppy and Douglas....

The actress who plays WIll's daughter looks (to me) exactly like the actress who plays Sheldon't genius rival on Young Sheldon. Am I crazy?

I'm starting to like Miggy.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

The actress who plays WIll's daughter looks (to me) exactly like the actress who plays Sheldon't genius rival on Young Sheldon. Am I crazy?

I would bet the casting call descriptions for both Will’s daughter and Paige were  close to identical. 

The Poppy actress really needs to take acting classes. 

The eyebrows of the Angie actress and the Haley actress/Modern Family should have their own Instagram accounts.

On 12/12/2018 at 10:51 PM, possibilities said:

I think she looks like a young Lena Dunham (minus the hideous tattoos)

On 12/12/2018 at 10:51 PM, possibilities said:

Will no longer with the pediatrician?

It’s confusing. Same with Owen’s reappearance, he was in one scene in the second episode but they treated it like we had followed their relationship. Heck if I didn’t like Andy Favreau (Champrions and his brother Jon’s podcast) I wouldn’t have remembered we had met him before.

• Love 3

This episode was really good. I like the pairing of Poppy and Douglas, but please, please, do not put Angie and Will together, even though I can see how tempting it is for the writers. Let them have their own relationships at their own pace. Will just recently got back into the idea of dating - Angie seems like she has had some relationships that never got too far because of her worries with Graham. 

I like Owen.

• Love 3

The "problem" (quotes because it really isn't all THAT big of a deal) is that you really shouldn't pair up four of the five single parents together romantically, so it really probably does have to be an "or" situation between Douglas and Poppy getting together and Will and Angie. 

I guess I would lean towards Douglas and Poppy, as well. 

Hmmm...I guess Friends did end up pairing off 4 out of the 6 characters, too, but never really all at the same time, right (as Ross and Rachel really only got back together in the last episode)? 

• Love 2
On 12/16/2018 at 2:44 AM, bros402 said:

This episode was really good. I like the pairing of Poppy and Douglas, but please, please, do not put Angie and Will together, even though I can see how tempting it is for the writers. Let them have their own relationships at their own pace. Will just recently got back into the idea of dating - Angie seems like she has had some relationships that never got too far because of her worries with Graham. 

I like Owen.

Have Angie and Will become best friends-they both need one, and Douglas is never going to be the kind of best friend that Will wants, one who will listen to all his problems and show empathy.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 4

Those twins are getting worse and worse. All the kids on the show have their bad moments but they're basically good normal kids. The twins are the only ones I still dislike even after all these episodes. Their dad is doing them no favors. If it weren't for all the other parents "co-parenting" them, there won't even be that slim chance of hope for them. They're just really unpleasant to watch and not even funny in an "evil sitcom kids" sort of way.

• Love 4

I enjoyed the episode.

It was a cheap gag, but I couldn't stop laughing at the sharpie mustache, and how she just finished off the episode without covering it up. In reality, it would be terrible. But for a sitcom? Fun. Was she going to wear a veil? Pancake the hell out of her lip? Put on clownface? Nope. Just keep the stache and keep plodding.

The kids are definitely sitcom kids, but I enjoy them in that context also. It's annoying if you imagine them as real kids, but I'm giving the show a break on this, for unknown reasons.

I was fascinated by Graham not being all that bothered by the FARTS on his forehead. He's usually pretty easily bruised, but he seemed to be taking it in stride.

I do get a bit tired of "douchebag with a heart of gold" as a trope, so I hope they pivot with Brad Garrett's character. I think what I like about this show is the teamwork. It doesn't take itself too seriously, which also helps. These people are goofy but there's something just realistic enough about them that I can hack it.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I do get a bit tired of "douchebag with a heart of gold" as a trope, so I hope they pivot with Brad Garrett's character.

They would be wise to take your advice. That character is getting to be unlikable.

• Love 3

I like this show.  The twins are a bit much but how could you not like the "fight" between them and Graham?  Think how much better life would be if ALL fights were just two or more parties circling each other?

15 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I am probably easily amused, but I found Miggy's Mystery Senorita music video funny. It was catchy.

YASSSS!!!  Best part was the pop-up Miggy translating for us.

There are so many downer shows on right now -- it's refreshing to have a show like this one (or God Friended Me) that are positive and fun.

• Love 9

This show is always fun, even when the kids are too sitcom-y. Will doing multiple takes with the super weird news stories made me chuckle. Like, a lot. "Its being called the most bloody trolley car accident in years..." 

Miggys Mystery Senorita is clearly an instant classic. There is so much to dissect. Miggy translating from Spanish to English with a tiny Miggy next to regular Miggy, the woman with the question mark that doesent even cover her face, the effects that look like they were made by the geniuses behind the Friday music video, its still making me laugh the more I think about it. 

• Love 12
On 1/10/2019 at 7:50 AM, Snow Apple said:

Those twins are getting worse and worse. All the kids on the show have their bad moments but they're basically good normal kids. The twins are the only ones I still dislike even after all these episodes. Their dad is doing them no favors. If it weren't for all the other parents "co-parenting" them, there won't even be that slim chance of hope for them. They're just really unpleasant to watch and not even funny in an "evil sitcom kids" sort of way.

I think those twins are such assholes. Their bad behavior isn't cute, and "apologies are for the weak" is some psychopath shit their dad is teaching them.

• Love 4
On 1/10/2019 at 11:32 PM, Misslindsey said:

I am probably easily amused, but I found Miggy's Mystery Senorita music video funny. It was catchy.

I watched this ep with my mom...after seeing this, she asked, "That isn't a real song...is it??" After I reassured her it wasn't, she said she didn't think so but you can never be 100% sure these days, LOL 

As for the permanent marker hysteria...it's skin! Did these people never hear of rubbing alcohol?? Likely hand sanitizer would also work.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

As for the permanent marker hysteria...it's skin! Did these people never hear of rubbing alcohol?? Likely hand sanitizer would also work.

1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

And nail polish remover.

And, as a summer swim team parent can attest, so does sunscreen.

• Love 3

I thought it was a good episode with the ex-wife. I like how everyone was blinded by her 'goodness' and yet, to me, the whole thing was that she really isn't that good a person. Abandoning your family so you can do your 'good works' isn't being a good person. (And I would think this way if he had abandoned them to do his good works too).  She humblebrags about her good deeds so everyone can comment on how awesome she is. I feel like Will was really valid in his issues with her. 

• Love 15

I agree about Will's wife, yet I liked that she wasn't a bad person. 

I wonder what's with the kiss at the end? 

Does anyone know who the actress was? She looked familiar and It was driving me nuts throughout the whole episode.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I agree about Will's wife, yet I liked that she wasn't a bad person. 

I wonder what's with the kiss at the end? 

Does anyone know who the actress was? She looked familiar and It was driving me nuts throughout the whole episode.

Vanessa Bayer. Taran’s long-time castmate on snl. 

I thought there was something on the media thread here about her but now that everything’s been collapsed I can’t seem to find it. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 3

Am I alone in loving the twins? I get what people are saying about the children being too precocious, but if they acted like actual 7-year-olds they'd be very boring. The mistake was in making them first or second graders in the first place. I am new to the show; binged it when I went home for the holidays and quite enjoyed it. Now I'm wishing my DVR would stop cutting off the last minute!

• Love 13

I liked this episode, and how things went with Wills ex wife. She isnt an awful person, but she isnt the perfect person she acts like she is. For all of her humblebrags about the great things she does around the world, she has time to do all of that because she abandoned her family, including her young daughter, to go off and do all of that. Then she comes back and gets to be "fun parent" and mess with the way Will raises his daughter, and then runs and lets him deal with the consequences. Even with the kiss at the end probably wont end well, I can see her running off pretty soon, no matter what happens between them. 

• Love 8

I liked this episode, but where can i find the video for "Mystery Senorita: Christmas Edition"?????

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Even with the kiss at the end probably wont end well, I can see her running off pretty soon, no matter what happens between them. 

I hope Will is expecting her to run off.  They can like, and even love each other while understanding that they can't live together.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, politichick said:

Am I alone in loving the twins? I get what people are saying about the children being too precocious, but if they acted like actual 7-year-olds they'd be very boring. The mistake was in making them first or second graders in the first place. I am new to the show; binged it when I went home for the holidays and quite enjoyed it. Now I'm wishing my DVR would stop cutting off the last minute!

If the twins were real live people in the world I'd probably not like them. On a TV show, I'm fine with them. 

2 hours ago, jhlipton said:

I hope Will is expecting her to run off.  They can like, and even love each other while understanding that they can't live together.

Yes! I don't need half a season of Will pining over 'what could have been' with her.  Speaking of... what happened to the pediatrician? (Oh also I don't need 2 or more episodes about him kissing his ex wife and now his relationship with the pediatrician is ruined or something)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

what happened to the pediatrician? 

I like Will's somewhat bizarre but works-for-them-so-no business-of-mine relationship with the pediatrician (whom I adore!) much more than with his ex, or with Angie.

BTW, I liked how Angie gave terrible advice, but Poppy still wanted it because GIRLS' NIGHT!!!!  LOL.  Poppy having sex with her ex in front of his girlfriend's house was super-extra!

• Love 2

Another great episode to me. They resolved the Will and ex-wife situation in a way that felt very true and honest.  He knows who she is and he doesn't want the same things she does.  I liked that he knew she was an odd combination of selfish/selfless.  Loved Angie trying to help him send in those divorce papers.  I can't decide if they are setting up Will and Angie or not. There were lingering glances and the ex-wife did accuse Angie of acting like a wife (which was sooo bitchy).  I think if the ex-wife hadn't said that, Angie wouldn't be thinking things... 

Clearly Doug wants Poppy. I'm okay with that.  I'd even be okay with him not necessarily "getting her."  I think it would be good for him not to be able to get whatever he wants when he gets it.  I do like them together and I like that she challenges him to be a better man. 

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

1) Another great episode to me.

2) I can't decide if they are setting up Will and Angie or not. There were lingering glances ...

3) Clearly Doug wants Poppy. I'm okay with that.  I'd even be okay with him not necessarily "getting her."  I think it would be good for him not to be able to get whatever he wants when he gets it.  I do like them together and I like that she challenges him to be a better man. 

1) YASSSS!!!

2) I hope they are just good friends -- more than Will and Poppy, for example, but not romantic/sexual

3) YASSSS to all of this.  And hurrah for Poppy "getting her groove on" with Mark.  She's definitely the most sexually active of the group (getting on with her ex last week and hooking up with Mark this week [PS: That kiss was everything!]) without getting branded as a slut or the like.  The "grid" just takes that as part of her personality, without judging.

• Love 2