Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

7 hours ago, sonyab said:

YES! Or that too!!! Great idea!!! :)  Hulu huh? Just in case you miss an episode? :)

Yes or when competing shows are on or I work late....................or when I want to just watch the 20 minutes of the show and not have to sit through commercials.

I came for Leighton Meester and she’s got good comedic timing. While watching the pilot the first few minutes i thought What the hell am i watching this sucks but i hung in and it started to grow on me. I lulz’d a few times during both episodes. Definitely have to go in suspending disbelief but the kids are just too much .  First off , the way they look ?sorry but compared to their headshots ( i searched IMDb) ,just nope.   And the dialogue they’re giving the kids is just TOO unbelievable.  I’m going to keep Single Parents in my DVR rotation for now. 

• Love 2

The kids knowing about things beyond their years doesn't bother me. It's a sitcom. Not much is like real life in a sitcom. I didn't even blink twice at the age inappropriateness of the Shawshank joke, I was laughing too much.

The car crash also had me cackling. Funny show! Hope it sticks around.

• Love 6

“A Leash Is Not A Guinea Pig” – After seeing the way Douglas and the twins are barely affected by the death of their guinea pig, Pickle, Poppy encourages Douglas to stop repressing his and the twins’ feelings. After seeing how close Graham and Will are becoming, Angie gets jealous when Graham asks Will to go get a colonoscopy to check on his health, so Angie decides to get one herself, on an all-new episode of “Single Parents,” airing WEDNESDAY, OCT. 10 (9:31-10:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

• Love 1
On 10/5/2018 at 1:11 PM, Ilovepie said:

Me either - I actually think they are ruining the show for me. I don't think these writers know any kids this age, because they have them saying things that kids this age would never know. For instance, the twins and Shawshank, or Rory knowing anything about the Mandrell sisters. Just not believable at all. I am giving one more episode, but I don't think I can stand anymore of the kids.....

I can buy Brad Garrett's character showing kids Shawshank

• Love 11
On 10/2/2018 at 3:57 PM, jumper sage said:

All of them?  It's the new thing now.  Sugar those kids up.  I have had to tell the schools NOT to give my kid crap every hour on the hour.  He was coming home a wreck.  I was so glad when he was out of elementary school.  At least in Jr and Sr high they offer them fruit and yogurt.

I am in with this show.

...I have never seen that. Where are you located? I am certified to teach in NJ, no gum allowed here. I was thinking they had gum in their mouths because this is some kid of weird charter school that is in some kind of weird trailer thing? and the teacher hadn't settled things down yet because parents are in the class for some reason, so the teacher may be hoping they are keeping control of their kids

8 hours ago, bros402 said:

I can buy Brad Garrett's character showing kids Shawshank

Yeah, you’re probably right on that one, but no way Rory knows who Barbara Mandel is. I mean, I’m 46 and I was little when that show was out. That joke would work if it was 1982, or if Doug had said Kardashians, then probably (I’m guessing Rory’s favorite is Kim). My problem is that all the kids are precocious and just too much. If they wanted that much snark out of the kids they should have made them older tweens or teens, but at this age, it’s just too obnoxious for me.

• Love 3
On 10/4/2018 at 4:25 PM, biakbiak said:

Yeah the putting the bananas in blender with the peels still on was a step way too far into this man couldn’t keep a child alive territory.

Yeah. I remember when I still watched Modern Family, I used to think they went too far with Phil and Claire's youngest kid's cluelessness, particularly as he entered his teens. Like, a 14-year-old boy should know the difference between a smoke alarm and a doorbell. I felt the same way when I saw the whole bananas with peels on in the blender. Like, everyone knows you don't eat banana peels. Come on! There are ways to make him clueless without making him stupid.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, bros402 said:

I have never seen that. Where are you located?

Detroit area.  I refuse to sub in elementary school anymore because of the long hours (free babysitting) and all the damn sugar.  I cut the kids off after recess, gave them a nap and the we did our afternoon work and the kids were great.  Their teacher was in a meeting and came in at "nap time", kindergarten class which is all day, and tried to get them up with more candy.  Oh, hell no.  Their breakfast is crap, lunch a little better and candy all day long.  I was completely shocked.  I notice as the kids age they get better nutrition at the school.  Middle school and high school kids have no access to pop but they sell it in the elementary schools with a 20 oz bottle being a buck and this includes the 10 cent deposit.  CRAZY!  It is weird to see a 5 year old walking around with a Coke or Mountain Dew.

On 10/7/2018 at 5:46 PM, scarlett said:

The kids knowing about things beyond their years doesn't bother me. It's a sitcom. Not much is like real life in a sitcom. I didn't even blink twice at the age inappropriateness of the Shawshank joke, I was laughing too much.

The car crash also had me cackling. Funny show! Hope it sticks around.

Same here. The thing is kids do know things beyond their years. My son's favorite singer was Frankie Valli at 3 years old and that soundtrack from that movie.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Detroit area.  I refuse to sub in elementary school anymore because of the long hours (free babysitting) and all the damn sugar.  I cut the kids off after recess, gave them a nap and the we did our afternoon work and the kids were great.  Their teacher was in a meeting and came in at "nap time", kindergarten class which is all day, and tried to get them up with more candy.  Oh, hell no.  Their breakfast is crap, lunch a little better and candy all day long.  I was completely shocked.  I notice as the kids age they get better nutrition at the school.  Middle school and high school kids have no access to pop but they sell it in the elementary schools with a 20 oz bottle being a buck and this includes the 10 cent deposit.  CRAZY!  It is weird to see a 5 year old walking around with a Coke or Mountain Dew.

that is insane.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Yeah, you’re probably right on that one, but no way Rory knows who Barbara Mandel is. I mean, I’m 46 and I was little when that show was out. That joke would work if it was 1982, or if Doug had said Kardashians, then probably (I’m guessing Rory’s favorite is Kim). My problem is that all the kids are precocious and just too much. If they wanted that much snark out of the kids they should have made them older tweens or teens, but at this age, it’s just too obnoxious for me.

I'm 28 and I have no idea who Barbara Mandel is.

• Love 5
On 9/28/2018 at 6:13 PM, DuckyinKy said:

I am going to put myself out there <deep breath> I would watch Brad Garrett read the phone book (ha! who is old? I am!) because I have a huge crush on him. HUGE. 

Gotta admit, he's looking pretty darn handsome here. I like his character a lot - it's the "rich guy throwing money around to get his way" trope but he plays it well. I like his twin girls too, and the way they are playing it straight and on the serious side - l laughed out loud at the line about how he would be proud to serve in a foxhole with them.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, bros402 said:

I'm 28 and I have no idea who Barbara Mandel is.

Ha! She was a country singer who had a variety show (think Sonny and Cher) in the late seventies. Her two sisters were on the show with her. Kinda makes me wonder who they think the audience for this show is......

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Court said:

Same here. The thing is kids do know things beyond their years. My son's favorite singer was Frankie Valli at 3 years old and that soundtrack from that movie.

There's also that! I was born in 90 and at 7 years old, would say Fleetwood Mac and Marvin Gaye were my favorite singers. My 5 year old asks me to play Michael Jackson on the way to school. Back to the Future is my all time favorite movie even though it came out 5 years before I was born. It's all about what you're exposed to, especially in a day and age where any and all content is at your fingertips in some way.

• Love 8
On 04/10/2018 at 4:18 PM, qtpye said:

This is an unpopular opinion but I do not love the rest of the kids that much. I almost wish the kids were silent or not there like Everybody Loves Raymond. I know this is a big ask for a show about Single Parents but I do like the adults in their roles.

I don't mind the kids but don't think it is necessary for them to have their own storylines. I think the show works better when it is the adults with the adults dealing with the aftermath of the kids. The scenes in the wine bar really worked for that.

• Love 3
On 10/8/2018 at 11:06 AM, Ilovepie said:

11 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I don't mind the kids but don't think it is necessary for them to have their own storylines. I think the show works better when it is the adults with the adults dealing with the aftermath of the kids. The scenes in the wine bar really worked for that.

Yeah, I agree. The jokes about the kids would be funnier if I never saw them, like the mom talking about how the son takes her scarf to school to smell and asking if it is normal than me actually seeing it. It would also be cute if the main guy character (forgot his name) talks about how his relatively well-adjusted daughter worries about him finding a life for himself and we did not have to witness the Hollywood precociousness firsthand. The kids also really do not have much chemistry together and do not seem like they would like to play together in real life. I think with a couple of tweaks this show could have potential. In the comedy Mom they realized the kids do not work and now they are both almost totally off the show and the program is better for it.

• Love 2

@qtpye I completely agree with everything you said. The less we see of the kids the better the show would be! It worked pretty well on Everybody Loves Raymond too, and Friends.....

Also, I kind of feel like Miggy is a copy of Jason from the Good Place, just with a baby. I think it weird he’s always with these older people he has nothing in common with and not with his own friends/family. I mean, why on earth would he have been with them when they were dropping their kids off for school when his own kid is a baby?

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Ha! She was a country singer who had a variety show (think Sonny and Cher) in the late seventies. Her two sisters were on the show with her. Kinda makes me wonder who they think the audience for this show is......

Ah yes, Sonny and Cher, they sang I Got You Babe. That's pretty much alll I know. And I think Sonny is dead, too.

3 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

@qtpye I completely agree with everything you said. The less we see of the kids the better the show would be! It worked pretty well on Everybody Loves Raymond too, and Friends.....

Also, I kind of feel like Miggy is a copy of Jason from the Good Place, just with a baby. I think it weird he’s always with these older people he has nothing in common with and not with his own friends/family. I mean, why on earth would he have been with them when they were dropping their kids off for school when his own kid is a baby?

Maybe they were walking and talking and Miggy just happened to follow them in.

And yeah, he is definitely a copy of Jason so far.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, qtpye said:

Yeah, I agree. The jokes about the kids would be funnier if I never saw them, like the mom talking about how the son takes her scarf to school to smell and asking if it is normal than me actually seeing it. It would also be cute if the main guy character (forgot his name) talks about how his relatively well-adjusted daughter worries about him finding a life for himself and we did not have to witness the Hollywood precociousness firsthand. 

Yea the mom trying to date while her son was freaking out about the sleep over would have worked a lot better if we mostly saw it from her end. Same with the kids taking off from the house. Plus there are already 5 adult main characters. If you give the kids storylines as well there is not much time for each character.

6 hours ago, bros402 said:

And yeah, he is definitely a copy of Jason so far.

I don't really see the Jason Mendoza thing except on the most basic superficial level that they both are dumb and Asian. As far as I know they don't live in Florida, Miggy isn't a Jacksonville Jaguars fan, he isn't a member of a dance crew (60 person or otherwise) and he is not a criminal.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, bros402 said:

22 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Ah yes, Sonny and Cher, they sang I Got You Babe. That's pretty much alll I know. And I think Sonny is dead, too.

I feel SO old right now!

• Love 6

Things are supposed to be exaggerated and silly in a sitcom.  To be fair, Miggy (?) is a good bit younger than the rest of the crew, probably around late teens to twenty-ish.   Cluelessness knows no race at that age.

• Love 11

“all-new” is a selling point for this show? They haven’t started running re-runs? Yay, show. 

I think I would enjoy reading the teleplays. The child actors are all too, too much. If it weren’t for “Young Sheldon,” I would even say that TV shows should avoid premises involving children.

The sedative suddenly kicking in... nope.

Maybe it’s me, but I feel like two romances might blossom between two sets of parents which I don’t want to see.

The Gwyneth Paltrow joke was good.  

Never mind clueless Asian male, everyone can figure out a wine opener within 7 minutes, max.

• Love 5

This show is hysterical!!! How old is Miggy?

Miggy: We need an adult!!

Hahahahahahahaha! Will crying saying that the dead fish was his son, cracked me up!! Love this show. Angie is a little crazy! ROFL! It's obvious her son needs a male figure in his life. Poor kid. :(  The only thing that bugged me is that Angie got a colonoscopy. She looks like she is in her 30's! She is too young for one. Her doctor would tell her that she is too young and that you have to wait until you are 50. That is what my doctor told me.. I'm too young. So, Angie getting one was so stupid.

Edited by sonyab
  • Love 6

Did not care for this episode. I hated to see that little guy get stomped and knew it was going to happen the minute the fog machine was in the picture. The woman going crazy over he son bonding with a male was over the top and stupid. I am a little sick of the main guy's over precocious wise for her years daughter. I really liked the first two episodes and was not feeling this one. Yes, the guy crying over the corkscrew and ruining so many bottles of wine was stupid. Poppy's not being very stressed about her business and letting her son spend tons of money on the funeral seemed almost cartoonish. The other parents at least look frazzled and tired, but she has been shown to be pretty perfect.

• Love 5

This show is growing on me , i do laugh out loud at some lines and find myself rewinding to laugh again . I had no idea Leighton Meester (Angie) had comedic chops and the lead actor from SNL  is very funny to me (Will ,not feeling like googling his name) , i always thought he was the best on his SNL seasons ( along with Keenan T). I’m keeping this show in my DVR rotation and i hope it gets enough ratings to be renewed. Yes,it’s a ridiculous show but the writing and acting is keeping me entertained ?

• Love 8

When I was growing up in the 1970s and 80s, we called adult friends of our parents by their first names. But some of my friends called THEIR parents' friends Mr/Mrs/Miss/etc. I think it varies by family. So I don't have a lot of problem with it, whichever way they go. These parents do seem rather informal, to me.

• Love 2

How old is Will? Certainly he's not 50 either. I know he said his father had colon cancer, but still... he looks Angie's age. My understanding (what my doctor told me) is that the age your first degree relative got colon cancer minus 10 is when you have to start screening. So did his father get colon cancer VERY young?

That said, I don't really care if the show is realistic. It's totally exaggerated in every possible way, so this is the least of its liberties.

I do think Miggy is a little too stupid. I get why he hangs out with them, though. He probably doesn't have friends his age-- how many single dads his age are there? I'm sure he's not the only one, but he could use the guidance from more experienced parents, Other guys his age are going to not be all that helpful compared to what he's getting with this group-- plus he lives rent free with one of them.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, Suzysite said:

Things are supposed to be exaggerated and silly in a sitcom.  To be fair, Miggy (?) is a good bit younger than the rest of the crew, probably around late teens to twenty-ish.   Cluelessness knows no race at that age.

17 hours ago, sonyab said:

This show is hysterical!!! How old is Miggy?

Miggy: We need an adult!!

Hahahahahahahaha! Will crying saying that the dead fish was his son, cracked me up!! Love this show. Angie is a little crazy! ROFL! It's obvious her son needs a male figure in his life. Poor kid. :(  The only thing that bugged me is that Angie got a colonoscopy. She looks like she is in her 30's! She is too young for one. Her doctor would tell her that she is too young and that you have to wait until you are 50. That is what my doctor told me.. I'm too young. So, Angie getting one was so stupid.

I believe they are now recommending colonoscopies at 45, not 50.

I think Miggy is 20? I seem to recall that from the pilot

• Love 2

I was born in 1974 and I was raised with calling my friends parents mr and mrs. it’s so ingrained in me now as an adult who bought the house I grew up in, I still call the older (from when I was a kid) neighbors mr and mrs  I still call many of my friends parents mr and mrs too. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

My man really asked if the guinea pig was American... Lol

Really?!?!?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! He wins the joke of the day. :)

I believe they are now recommending colonoscopies at 45, not 50.

Really?! I haven't heard that!!! I'm 44! Yikes! ROFL!

I think Miggy is 20? I seem to recall that from the pilot

Miggy is 20 and he is asking for an adult! Hahahahaha!

On 10/11/2018 at 7:38 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Never mind clueless Asian male, everyone can figure out a wine opener within 7 minutes, max.

Yeah.......about that. I'm 44. I can't make a decent grilled cheese, and I can't not break a cork. I can do pretty much anything else in life and even excel at some stuff. Just not that. I have to own it. 

Edited by KnopeWaffle
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, KnopeWaffle said:

For some reason, I can’t quote you. But you should not blame yourself. Some corks are very dry and brittle. Some are too soft.

Try inserting the tip of the coil in the exact center of the cork. Slowly rotate in clockwise direction, while keeping the rest of the coil perpendicular to the surface of the cork. Continue until the entire curved part of the coil is completely inserted/embedded in the cork. Then press down on the wings slowly.

Believe me, I am a clueless Asian who dropped a whole rack of freshly washed bar glasses on the floor my first day as a bartender in a restaurant. If I can do it, so can you!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, sonyab said:

Can an under 21 person tend bar?

• Love 1
On 10/11/2018 at 8:38 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Maybe it’s me, but I feel like two romances might blossom between two sets of parents which I don’t want to see.

I've felt this way since the first episode. I really hope it doesn't go there and that the single parents don't ever hook up with one another. They can be with others, but not each other.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

I was born in 1974 and I was raised with calling my friends parents mr and mrs. it’s so ingrained in me now as an adult who bought the house I grew up in, I still call the older (from when I was a kid) neighbors mr and mrs  I still call many of my friends parents mr and mrs too. 

I am you! I still call my college roommate/best friend’s mother Mrs., even though she tells me to call her by her first name. I feel as if that’d be disrespectful.

• Love 3
On 10/11/2018 at 2:44 AM, Caseysgirl said:

Since when is a clueless Asian man a thing?  This guy ( and Jason on the Good Place) are so over the top stupid that it isn’t even amusing.

I said this on the thread last week that I thought Jason and Miggy are very similar, except for the baby. Clueless can be funny, but too dumb to be believable is not (bananas in the blender, ruining all those bottles).

I do like that Will’s daughter is like Leighton M (can’t remember her character’s name), and her son is like Will. 

Overall though, I still think the kids are too much, and the show would be better if we saw 75% less of them.....

• Love 4

I was born in 1990, I called friends parents mr and mrs - when I did student teaching my teachers were like "You can just call me [first name], you don't need to call me Mr./Mrs. [Last name]!"

Internally: "yes i do you taught me, I am going to be extra formal with you because that is repectful"

• Love 1
15 hours ago, sonyab said:

A lot of people don't feel like adults at 20, you can't blame Miggy for that :P But you think he would've gotten all of the kids out, then run for an adult.

Re: colonoscopy - https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/american-cancer-society-updates-colorectal-cancer-screening-guideline.html

The American Cancer Society recommends a poo test or a colonoscopy at 45, then every 10 years if you are at average risk (every year for poo test)

I don't think the kids are needed for their own storyline either. I do enjoy Sophie, which is a surprise, and I somewhat enjoy the twins, but the two boys aren't really interesting for me to watch.

I wish we didn't have the stereotypical Too Dumb To Live character. We don't need a stupid character in a sitcom, but every sitcom feels the need to have one anyway.  

I do enjoy this show overall. It does provide more laughs than other sitcoms I've tried.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, bros402 said:

"A lot of people don't feel like adults at 20, you can't blame Miggy for that :P"

Oh I don't blame him.. I just think it was hysterical. :)

"But you think he would've gotten all of the kids out, then run for an adult."

I know! ROFL! Oh and thanks for the cancer screening guidelines! :)

16 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I don't think the kids are needed for their own storyline either. I do enjoy Sophie, which is a surprise, and I somewhat enjoy the twins, but the two boys aren't really interesting for me to watch.

I wish we didn't have the stereotypical Too Dumb To Live character. We don't need a stupid character in a sitcom, but every sitcom feels the need to have one anyway.  

I do enjoy this show overall. It does provide more laughs than other sitcoms I've tried.

I am hopeful for Abby's, one of the comedies held for midseason.

I think that this show will have a shift in a few episodes, for the better, since they will have feedback. I also want them to avoid relationships between the parents, especially Sophie's dad and Graham's mom.

• Love 4

In my state (Texas), you can’t serve alcohol in bar/restaurant or sell it in stores unless you are of legal age. So Miggy has to be at least 21, you would think?

I agree about the kids, reduce the screen time by about half. It would be much funnier IMO if it was the mom talking about her very dependent child sniffing her clothes ? than having to watch it.

And yes, please, no hookups between the parents. The village needs to be platonic ?.

Mr SD and I like it and will continue to watch. Some parts are a little OTT but for the most part, it makes us LOL.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, ShellyD said:

And yes, please, no hookups between the parents. The village needs to be platonic ?.

The village!!! Hahahaha! The group wouldn't be happy hearing you say the village! :) I actually like Angie and Will together, so if they hook up, I wouldn't have a problem with that. :)

• Love 2
On 10/11/2018 at 11:33 AM, qtpye said:

Did not care for this episode. I hated to see that little guy get stomped and knew it was going to happen the minute the fog machine was in the picture. The woman going crazy over he son bonding with a male was over the top and stupid. I am a little sick of the main guy's over precocious wise for her years daughter. I really liked the first two episodes and was not feeling this one. Yes, the guy crying over the corkscrew and ruining so many bottles of wine was stupid. Poppy's not being very stressed about her business and letting her son spend tons of money on the funeral seemed almost cartoonish. The other parents at least look frazzled and tired, but she has been shown to be pretty perfect.

except for the poor guinea pig getting stomped on, i liked it. i wish they would have handled it a better as far as being more careful with pets. it never should have been on the floor when they were dancing. and if those twins feel nothing for that animal, i see psychopathic tendencies in their future. 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

if those twins feel nothing for that animal, i see psychopathic tendencies in their future. 

They were taught to not care about the dead mother they never knew, so I can see this, but perhaps this will change now that their dad is opening up about her.

Does anyone find it unbelievable that the twins don't have at least a part-time nanny?  No way is Douglas doing their complicated braids himself. He's a doctor; he can probably swing it. (I also don't believe he does all the other aspects of child care himself, even assuming he has a cleaning person come in to clean and do laundry.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 7