Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: Lauren Finds Her Dress

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

35 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Screenshot_20180918-170442.thumb.jpg.d825d88f760074a228406fca2f69985a.jpg

https://www.justinalexander.com/blog/style-of-the-week-8936/

It looks so much better with the sleeves 

Is that her dress? Because not really modest, Lauren. It is pretty, though.

There was some weird vibes/looks/tension between Michelle and Jana when they were  toasting her (???) at her bday. 

How was no one all cozy and cuddly with a blanket or spouse when they were playing the game? That's the glory of the snow: getting cozy and comfy! 

• Love 3

Generally I'm in the "Jeremy's okay" camp, but I was hardcore side-eyeing the ultrasound scene where he was gazing with rapt wonder at the screen, seemingly unable to tear his eyes away to share the moment with Jinger who, I dunno, is actually creating that child with her own body.  It seemed overly calculated.  She kept trying to get his attention, but to me, the little wheels were spinning in his head: "Filming.  Camera is on me.  Look awed.  Look transfixed.  Be the good husband/father who is enamored with the miracle of God's work.  Everyone will love me.  I'll become a viral sensation of husband/father goals.  Oh...uh...hi Jinger, stop poking at me...I'M BUSY BEING AWED FOR THE FANS."

• Love 23
2 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Generally I'm in the "Jeremy's okay" camp, but I was hardcore side-eyeing the ultrasound scene where he was gazing with rapt wonder at the screen, seemingly unable to tear his eyes away to share the moment with Jinger who, I dunno, is actually creating that child with her own body.  It seemed overly calculated.  She kept trying to get his attention, but to me, the little wheels were spinning in his head: "Filming.  Camera is on me.  Look awed.  Look transfixed.  Be the good husband/father who is enamored with the miracle of God's work.  Everyone will love me.  I'll become a viral sensation of husband/father goals.  Oh...uh...hi Jinger, stop poking at me...I'M BUSY BEING AWED FOR THE FANS."

Yes! Not a fan of his at all at all.

• Love 7

Didn’t get the sense Jing/Jer had ANY intention of having their baby anyplace but a hospital. Either that tour was just for TV or maybe Jing is just coming around to the hospital idea so Jer was appeasing her with – sure we can look at a birthing center, ACROSS THE STREET from where we do the hospital tour; after all he cares what she thinks so even if he was super uncomfortable with anything outside the hospital, he’d probably at least go along with a “compromise” like a birthing center/midwife until she herself comes to the conclusion that a hospital and MD is necessary. But I don’t even think it was just Jer.  I think Jing – as confidently as she said, my mom/sisters had home births but I want all medical care I could possibly need just in case – 100% wanted to be in a hospital; and then Jer added in the part of a children’s hospital right on campus, just in case.

It was probably a made for TV tour OR – knowing they were 2.5 hrs away, I also think it could be their “backup plan” – as in, the faintest contraction starts, jump in the car ASAP bc you never know it could be the real deal and you have 2.5 hrs of driving ahead of you. But then you get to SA and contractions have petered out or aren’t strong enough to go to the hospital yet bc if you go the hospital can’t give you an epidural, may tell you to keep walking to get labor going etc. – in that case being 2.5 hrs from home, it’s a good idea to have a birthing center across the street where you can walk, get real “nutrition” etc. until it’s for real and then you tell them – peace out, I don’t feel comfortable here, I’ll be at San Antonio General (or wherever) across the street, thanks for the Hot Pockets.  I mean I suppose one could also rent a hotel room for the same purpose but for a family that is soooo comfortable with Jilly Muffin types helping with birthing, this kind of center for a few hours may have felt normal.

And while it was nice to see Jana get heated/show some personality during the game, am I the only one who felt it sad that for their TWENTY EIGHTH birthday they played Pictionary and the winners got cupcakes?? Come on that’s a fun party for a 9 yr old. At 28 – I don’t care how conservative you are (I’m from a hyper conservative culture) and we STILL go out to dinner, with FRIENDS, guys and girls, and talk about all kinds of non sense that we wouldn’t say in front of “elders,” maybe they’re a little dancing, maybe you joke with girlfriends about the cute guy/waiter at the next table etc.

• Love 17
5 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

I'd like to thank the TLC muckety-mucks for editing out Michelle's inevitable birthday speech about how JD is such "a blessing" and Jana has such "a servant's heart." I'd like to have breakfast sometime soon, and Michelle's assembly-line-of-kids speech will make that less likely.

In addition to games, this family likes giving speeches at gatherings. If there’s a microphone, all the better! 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, kokapetl said:

I’ve never been involved with wedding dress shopping at all, but I assume the bride tries on a bunch of dresses, dresses that nearly ALL meet the brief, but hones down on what she wants exactly, and then eventually chooses the dress she wants. What I imagine doesn’t happen is the bride is presented with 5 dresses to choose from, including a pre chosen dress, plus 2 or 3 of which don’t meet the brief AT ALL, tried on in no particular order or logic.

Well of course it was scripted.  I will say, though, sometimes the dress of your dreams just doesn't do anything for you.  My daughter wanted sleeves, but after trying on a bunch of dresses, she tried a strapless dress just to see how it looked and it ended up being "the one".  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, kokapetl said:

I’ve never been involved with wedding dress shopping at all, but I assume the bride tries on a bunch of dresses, dresses that nearly ALL meet the brief, but hones down on what she wants exactly, and then eventually chooses the dress she wants. What I imagine doesn’t happen is the bride is presented with 5 dresses to choose from, including a pre chosen dress, plus 2 or 3 of which don’t meet the brief AT ALL, tried on in no particular order or logic. 

My theory-I think that bridal store agreed to give Lauren a free dress in exchange for the advertising (did you notice the close-ups of their sign)?  I think the owner chose a few older sample dresses for her to try on, and she had to make her choice from those dresses. I don’t think Lauren loved that dress, it was just the one she liked the most. When she had had tried them all on, the shop owner said they’d come back out and let them know which one she chose. Pretty presumptuous statement unless it was all a setup. 

I hope Jinger didn’t feel like she had to pretend to want a natural birth when she clearly didn’t.  Next time Jinger, find a good OB close to home at a good hospital and be true to what YOU want. You’re a grownup, and you don’t have to try to please your whacked out family anymore.  The vast majority of people will applaud your decision!

• Love 6
9 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

There was some weird vibes/looks/tension between Michelle and Jana when they were  toasting her (???) at her bday. 

The Duggar women have always seemed to have a "you're not really a member of the club and you'll always be an outsider" attitude towards the daughters-in-law. 

• Love 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt a bit strange seeing Lauren's mother breast feeding a baby while her eldest baby was shopping for a wedding dress. Creepy to me.

I also found it sad that these women nurse their babies under that drape. The child is in the dark, feeding and has absolutely no eye contact with their mother. Their mother also seems to have no emotion towards their child while nursing either. I certainly hope it's different when they're at home in private....seems to me like milking a cow; no emotion, no eye contact involved..simply a function.

On another note, I think that Jessa turned out to be a bitchy, angry woman because she truly isn't over the Josh 'thing' that happened to her as a child. What would/could she be so angry about other than that? From what we know, she has been living her life out exactly as she was told was the Godly/right way to live...anyone else think this too?

• Love 8
12 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I like that dress, but it does seem to be very butt-focused. Guess the Duggs missed that. Dumbasses, who obsess about collarbones yet miss a beautiful ass right in front of them.

Oh, I'm sure some of the Duggars (male) noticed that nice ass. Sadly, they have been brainwashed to think it's sinful to appreciate a nice-looking fully-dressed female figure, so they couldn't even just relax and enjoy the sight. 

Edited by Jeeves
brevity is next to godliness
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Magoo said:

I didn't see it that way. I think they both looked absolutely awed by seeing their baby. 

• Love 22
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt a bit strange seeing Lauren's mother breast feeding a baby while her eldest baby was shopping for a wedding dress. Creepy to me.

I also found it sad that these women nurse their babies under that drape. The child is in the dark, feeding and has absolutely no eye contact with their mother. Their mother also seems to have no emotion towards their child while nursing either. I certainly hope it's different when they're at home in private....seems to me like milking a cow; no emotion, no eye contact involved..simply a function.

On another note, I think that Jessa turned out to be a bitchy, angry woman because she truly isn't over the Josh 'thing' that happened to her as a child. What would/could she be so angry about other than that? From what we know, she has been living her life out exactly as she was told was the Godly/right way to live...anyone else think this too?

I think you may be right about Jessa, I'm not disagreeing.  I just think Jessa has a lot more to be angry about that just Josh.  There's her whole upbringing, being raised to think she had no other importance than breeding and could never be anything other than a mother.  I think its going to take Jessa well into middle age to figure out what she wants out of life.

• Love 22

I can't figure Jessa out. I agree she gives off an underlying vibe of being mad at the world, but then she turns around and writes dissertations about how fabulous her childhood was and lauds Michelle as a perfect, loving mother (which we know is total bullshit). It doesn't make sense.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I can't figure Jessa out. I agree she gives off an underlying vibe of being mad at the world, but then she turns around and writes dissertations about how fabulous her childhood was and lauds Michelle as a perfect, loving mother (which we know is total bullshit). It doesn't make sense.

Jessa seems to have a lot of bitterness, but also that perfect life syndrome. She wants people to envy her and covet her life and choices. So while she may have some misgivings about her childhood, I think she also is of the mindset that she doesn't have the skills or talents to really get out of there and make something of her life other than what she is doing. If she had the ability to self-reflect or do an inventory of herself, she might make a living writing a book (with help) about the inner sanctum of the Duggar household and Gothard. However, I'm not sure that is even something that would cross her mind as possible. The majority of her life has been spent being taught to keep it sweet for her husband, parents, and the cameras. That indoctrination is tough to beat. 

• Love 11
22 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

And Lauren’s father, JimBob Junior, is a whole other level of creepy. I do think though that Gil Bates has been on at least one of those wedding dress shopping forays too...

Gil went with Michael on the trip to Nashville for her dress after she couldn't find what she wanted at one store and the price was too much at another. I believe even a few of her brothers tagged along, making sexist and snippy comments too. 

My father did go with me when I was trying to decide between two dresses I really liked. He was mostly there because my mother was being no help choosing and his favorite restaurant was nearby. He turned out to be no help either. Both looked "nice."

Lauren's father creeped me out though with his jokes and comments. 

• Love 7
21 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

I'd like to thank the TLC muckety-mucks for editing out Michelle's inevitable birthday speech about how JD is such "a blessing" and Jana has such "a servant's heart." I'd like to have breakfast sometime soon, and Michelle's assembly-line-of-kids speech will make that less likely.

I got plenty irritated by the idea of JB needing to make a speech in the restaurant -- "Hey, guys . . ."  I had flashbacks to every group outing of my own or with my children with the group leader getting the kids' attention to announce what was coming up.  The guests of honor were supposedly celebrating their 28th birthdays and they've got to be shushed and told what to do like a bunch of sixth graders?  I'd be so stoked.  

• Love 10
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think Jessa gets frustrated with Ben "Vanilla" Seewald.  He's not as quick as her and more cerebral.  I don't think he is stupid but he is not articulate and comes across as dull.  And Ben probably gets frustrated with Jessa and the lifestyle she has imposed on him...dirty house, focusing on social media, and spending so much time in the Duggar compound.  The most interesting thing to me is what happens when Ben finally finishes school and heads into the working world.  I just can't see him landing a job that Jessa approves of.  He's no Bobby Smith (Bates) perfect youth minister IMO.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

I got plenty irritated by the idea of JB needing to make a speech in the restaurant -- "Hey, guys . . ."  I had flashbacks to every group outing of my own or with my children with the group leader getting the kids' attention to announce what was coming up.  The guests of honor were supposedly celebrating their 28th birthdays and they've got to be shushed and told what to do like a bunch of sixth graders?  I'd be so stoked.  

Has there been 1 single episode this season that Michelle and JB have not been featured?  Maybe it’s because the episodes are focusing on family events that would normally feature the parents ... but they sure seem to be front and center. Their minor children seem featured a lot too. 

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

I think Jessa gets frustrated with Ben "Vanilla" Seewald.  He's not as quick as her and more cerebral.  I don't think he is stupid but he is not articulate and comes across as dull.  And Ben probably gets frustrated with Jessa and the lifestyle she has imposed on him...dirty house, focusing on social media, and spending so much time in the Duggar compound.  The most interesting thing to me is what happens when Ben finally finishes school and heads into the working world.  I just can't see him landing a job that Jessa approves of.  He's no Bobby Smith (Bates) perfect youth minister IMO.

I agree. Bin is a nice kid, but he strikes me as more of a dreamer than a doer. Perhaps not to the extent of Derick Dillard, but still. It's like you said with the bible school; what's the end game? I can't imagine a conservative state like Arkansas has a shortage of young men wanting to be ministers, so does he even have a realistic chance of finding a job? I also can't see Jessa as the type of wife who is willing to put up with the time and social obligations that line of work usually entails. Bin is her errand boy, nobody else's...

• Love 11
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

She wants to make sure she & Benny the Rapper stay in the will.  

• Love 10
34 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Has there been 1 single episode this season that Michelle and JB have not been featured?  Maybe it’s because the episodes are focusing on family events that would normally feature the parents ... but they sure seem to be front and center. Their minor children seem featured a lot too. 

Its seems like its more 19 Kids and Counting than Counting On. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think if there's one thing Jessa's angrier at than her parents, its the audience who watched her grow up.  Its all right for her to think bad things about her family but not for us.

" You think my mom's a bad mom? Well, EFF you!  She's the greatest mother ever!"

Its actually one of the more normal things about Jessa.

Plus, our little Jessa is just contrary by nature.  Some people are.

• Love 9

After this episode, I've come to the conclusion that I don't like Lauren.  It starts with her breathy voice and ends with something I can't put my finger on.  Lana looked checked out on the whole dress thing.  I'll give her the benefit of the doubt with just having her elevenith child 30 minutes before the appointment.  I can go either way on Jana, but I didn't like her in this episode either.  Me thinks that one has a temper.  

Some of those kids were quite the skiers/snowboarders for having gone just a few times.  Dumb question, but does Arkansas get measurable snow or have resorts?  I live in Baltimore, and while we can get bad winters, I would have to go 200+ miles west to ski.  I went skiing one time and hated every minute of it.  I do remember it being quite expensive too.

We are seeing way too much of JB & M.  Since Josh was sent to Jesus Jail, these two need to be sent to Poor Parenting Prison.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, sixlets said:

Some of those kids were quite the skiers/snowboarders for having gone just a few times.  Dumb question, but does Arkansas get measurable snow or have resorts?  I live in Baltimore, and while we can get bad winters, I would have to go 200+ miles west to ski.  I went skiing one time and hated every minute of it.  I do remember it being quite expensive too.

Googling I got this:

Ski Resorts close to Springdale - Northwest Arkansas: Closest ski area Snow Creek (United States) 366 km Second closest ski area Hidden Valley (United States) 407 km Third closest ski area Mt Crescent (United States) 599 km Fourth closest ski area Fun Valley (United States) 613 km Fifth closest ski area Ski Snowstar (United States) 652 km.

I remember it as being expensive and I hated it - of course, considering my husband had a horrible accident and for a few minutes I didn't know if he was dead or possibly paralyzed, that's sort of the reason, so I've never gone again.  He was injured and had to be transported by ambulance on a backboard but recovered nicely. I like snowshoeing not skis.  LOL

• Love 1

I think they’ve gone skiing more than a few times.  We’ve seen them go at least 3 or 4 times between the shows. I’ve seen photos of John flying some of them to ski trips at least a couple times.  I bet they go at least yearly.   There is no way the younger kids would be that good otherwise.   

Kendra was around for the last televised ski trip- she was snow tubing if I recall. With a skirt on over her pants. 

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, sixlets said:

I can go either way on Jana, but I didn't like her in this episode either.  Me thinks that one has a temper.  

Lol, right? Jana was so over-the-top, she basically took all the fun out of the game. It's like calm down, Sis. I know you don't get out much, but it's just Pictionary. 

When John made that comment about not competing against Jana because it wasn't worth the hassle (or something along those lines), it made me wonder if she isn't quite as pristine as we'd like to believe. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, DragonFaerie said:

Ski Resorts close to Springdale - Northwest Arkansas: Closest ski area Snow Creek (United States) 366 km

A bit over four hours to get there driving so they could go fairly often if they wanted to do that.  If Jim Bob can buy airplanes, he can do a few days at the ski resort for the family every winter.  The way Josie goes, I'm guessing they go multiple times a winter.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

That looks like a winter wedding dress.  Probably a sample clearance item.  It's a pretty sophisticated dress IMO but it did look good on Lauren.  It's really too bad she didn't put her hair up.

The shop where Lauren got her dress recently closed down, so her dress was most likely discounted. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

The Duggar women have always seemed to have a "you're not really a member of the club and you'll always be an outsider" attitude towards the daughters-in-law. 

Did you misquote? Because you quoted about Michelle and Jana giving each other weird looks? And started talking about in laws. Anyway Jana is not a daughter in law although I’m sure she wishes the Duggars weren’t her family and Michelle her mother. 

Edited by Puffin
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Wishing Well said:

I don’t blame the dads for wanting to keep their daughters safe and at ease.  I wish they would focus more on their sons though - teach them not to rape girls or molest their own sisters.  Teach them to value and love their female partners and treat them as an equal, rather than a child incubator.  I wish they would teach the girls to love themselves and protect themselves and each other, so that if an asshole comes, they have a fighting chance instead of being joyfully available.

The fact that males can be defrauded, it’s the female at fault, therefore making the male weak, makes their title of all knowing, wise headship, a bit of a contradiction.

• Love 17
14 hours ago, sixlets said:

After this episode, I've come to the conclusion that I don't like Lauren.  It starts with her breathy voice and ends with something I can't put my finger on.  Lana looked checked out on the whole dress thing.  I'll give her the benefit of the doubt with just having her elevenith child 30 minutes before the appointment.  I can go either way on Jana, but I didn't like her in this episode either.  Me thinks that one has a temper.  

I think we don't like Lauren because we know it's not the right girl for Josiah.. I think Josiah was forced into being married and that Dwain found a way to get closer to the stardom that Boob has. JMHO

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

I think we don't like Lauren because we know it's not the right girl for Josiah.. I think Josiah was forced into being married and that Dwain found a way to get closer to the stardom that Boob has. JMHO

I don’t seem to like her, but I feel guilty about it.  She just seems so fake. That voice, the lack of excitement about everything going on in her life.    The  entire  focus on  people getting married because they’ve reached the age of consent.  At least a few of them are going to get divorced. It may not be while the shows on or until after the death of JB or Michelle, but it will happen. Misery that could been avoided if JB and Michelle didn’t preach 1815s dating techniques. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 10

I recently saw a photo of Lauren attending Whitney and Zach Bateses' wedding.  Lauren was wearing a fucsia print dress with a fully buttoned red cardigan.  Even though she appeared to be a teen, she was dressed exactly lke her little sister!  I saw this on Fundieland Facebook. Their world's are so small.

• Love 2

I know “Say Yes to the Dress” has kind of changed everything for wedding dress shopping and now it has to be all cutesy, but I really had a problem with the “Love it!” or “Leave it!” signs. Even though wedding dress shopping is now such an EVENT, it should be focused around the bride and what SHE wants. The way I see it, you’re there to support, tell her she looks beautiful, offer some feedback, and then affirm her choice. I cringe and feel so badly watching SYTTD when a bride so clearly LOVES a dress and the family members are like “hell no!” and the brides face falls.

Back to THIS show, they were throwing up their “love it” or “leave it” signs before Lauren had even expressed any thoughts. She’d barely even looked at herself in the dress and the woman is like "Let''s see the signs! Is it Love it or leave it!" No, ask Lauren first! But the whole shopping trip was weird. They kept putting her in what she did NOT want, and she didn’t even seem to like the dress she chose that much..

• Love 8