Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: Lauren Finds Her Dress

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Wouldn't Lauren have let Renee know ahead of time what she was looking for in a wedding dress? Like no lace. She seemed to be adamant about that yet most, if not all, were lace.

Like we have discussed before, it's a shame the newer brides-to-be wedding gown choices seem to be limited to Renee's.  We all know it may take a few shops to find "the dress".

Even though it's too late for Joy,  this could be a wakeup call.  Realizing  babies/children tie you down & you aren't able to do the things you were used to as a couple or single . Especially when you are as young as they are. This is only the beginning Joy.

I think the girls did wear skirts over their ski pants when they went skiing before. I may be wrong, but I remember Anna making all kinds of excuses when she didn't.  Anyone remember?

I remember Joy tobogganing in a skirt, which isn’t any less dim. I can’t remember if it was a second layer.

I don't understand why anyone would go to the trouble to take a one month old baby on a ski vacation.   I know there are filming commitments, but TLC should have understood if Joy and Austin had chosen to skip this trip.  And why, during game night, was Jana walking around holding Gideon like he was a sack of potatoes?  She was holding him and had him on her lap, but was not engaged at all.  It just seemed very detached and odd.

The dress shopping was very contrived and Duggar-ish.  When my daughter got married I (and only me, no entourage) went with her to look for dresses.  After 3 trips she had narrowed it down to 2 choices.  At that point she did ask my husband to come along because she was having trouble deciding and she knew he would not hesitate to tell her which one he thought suited her better.  My mother happened to be visiting and came along with us.  That was it.  But yes, there was definitely a creepy vibe to Lauren's dad's interest in the proceedings.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 7
31 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

CPM.  It is also ridiculous to tell anyone that an IV is unnecessary in labor because you can get nutrition 'naturally'.  Nausea and vomiting are natural, too, and many women have severe bouts while in labor.  How does one get 'natural' nutrition if they can't keep anything down?  The active phase of labor lasts 12-16 hours for a first baby.  That's 3 or more meals.  Exhaustion is also a 'natural' consequence of labor and can hinder one's ability to eat regularly, too.

Not to mention that, should you need general anesthesia or intubation for any reason, it's a bad thing to have food in your stomach due to the risk of aspiration. Not common to need these during/after birth but it does happen!

• Love 14
48 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I don't understand why anyone would go to the trouble to take a one month old baby on a ski vacation.   I know there are filming commitments, but TLC should have understood if Joy and Austin had chosen to skip this trip.  And why, during game night, was Jana walking around holding Gideon like he was a sack of potatoes?  She was holding him and had him on her lap, but was not engaged at all.  It just seemed very detached and odd.

I noticed that! I guess maybe carrying around a baby is real old hat! 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

But yes, there was definitely a creepy vibe to Lauren's dad's interest in the proceedings.

At least one of her parents was fully present. Her mom seemed like she was somewhere else. It's interesting in both these families how the kids seem closer to their dads than their moms? Lana just strikes me as another Michelle, but even more removed, if that's possible, like a robot that someone forgot to program. In that segment where Dwain was being interviewed and she was standing beside him, she had no reaction to what he was saying. Not a smile, even. Just a blank stare ahead. If you ask me, she's the one who's creepy.

Edited by graefin
  • Love 13

Jinger and Jeremy - I am so proud of you for choosing a facility that seems to meet your needs. You realize you can have a baby somewhere other than home. You can go natural but just in case, you are near major facilities.. Finally the voice of reason.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I got lesbian vibes from them too!

The birthing center still give me pause. 2.5 hours away, decorated like a preschool for grown women, no drugs. I also loved "We don't do IVs, we want you to get nutrition naturally!" Yeah, because every laboring woman is going to take a break from shoving a human out of her crotch to go microwave a Hot Pocket.

So clearly that birth center is staffed by the Jill-type of midwives. For fucks sake, as if they point of IVs during labor is nutrition. What a dangerously stupid asshole.

• Love 13

28th birthday ski party with the entire family - including parents and siblings/family members under 12? I guess I forgotten for a second this is the Duggars... I was think it would just be the adult kids & spouses.

New question to ask OB - how soon can I go skiing after a c-section ?  Joy looked pissed walking in the door.

Edited by sATL
corrected age
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

The birthing center still give me pause. 2.5 hours away, decorated like a preschool for grown women, no drugs. I also loved "We don't do IVs, we want you to get nutrition naturally!" Yeah, because every laboring woman is going to take a break from shoving a human out of her crotch to go microwave a Hot Pocket.

Yeah, that's why I side-eyed it on the Duggalo thread. Jinger mentioned them having more "stuff and equipment" yet she still had to get her ultrasounds done at one of those vanity strip mall places, so I'd consider it marginally better than a home birth at best. 

I know Jingle is the new fan favorite, but at the end of the day her original birth plan was to drive two and a half hours while in labor to deliver at a place with midwives who don't have college degrees and don't believe in I.V.'s. Again, a slight step up from what her sisters did, but not what I'd consider the smartest strategy. I'm glad she caved and went to the hospital instead.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 21

I just find it weird that the mother of the bride is sitting there with her newborn child watching her eldest child try on wedding gowns. It’s kind of creepy. 

And Lauren’s father, JimBob Junior, is a whole other level of creepy. I do think though that Gil Bates has been on at least one of those wedding dress shopping forays too...

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

Wouldn't Lauren have let Renee know ahead of time what she was looking for in a wedding dress? Like no lace. She seemed to be adamant about that yet most, if not all, were lace.

Like we have discussed before, it's a shame the newer brides-to-be wedding gown choices seem to be limited to Renee's.  We all know it may take a few shops to find "the dress".

Even though it's too late for Joy,  this could be a wakeup call.  Realizing  babies/children tie you down & you aren't able to do the things you were used to as a couple or single . Especially when you are as young as they are. This is only the beginning Joy.

I think the girls did wear skirts over their ski pants when they went skiing before. I may be wrong, but I remember Anna making all kinds of excuses when she didn't.  Anyone remember?

I don't think that was Renee's bridal shop.  I think it was someplace different.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, flyingdi said:

I don't think that was Renee's bridal shop.  I think it was someplace different.

It wasn't.  It was in Springdale.

Anyone else think Jinger had absolutely no intention of having a natural childbirth?  I think that was expressed as an option so they could tour the birth center and make TV.  They probably weren't going to be able to tour the hospital with a camera crew.  And I have to say, she had one heck of an epidural.  Even with epidurals, there is no way I could have fallen asleep in labor!

Jeremy has a head on his shoulders.  His decision to have the birth in San Antonio wasn't just about labor--another consideration he mentioned was having a good children's hospital close by.

And the ultra sound was for TV too so they had to find a place that would allow filming.  It was great to see the thrill and wonder on Jeremy's face during that procedure.

Did they take Jackson skiing?  I don't remember seeing him.

Also, Ben.  He prides himself on being this great strong athlete but his skiing abilities were crap.  Methinks Vanilla lacks coordination!

• Love 16
29 minutes ago, sATL said:

29th birthday ski party with the entire family - including parents and siblings/family members under 12? I guess I forgotten for a second this is the Duggars... I was think it would just be the adult kids & spouses.

New question to ask OB - how soon can I go skiing after a c-section ?  Joy looked pissed walking in the door.

28th birthday. 

Edited by Temperance
forgot how to write acronyms

City girl here  - What's the difference b/w a constable and a sheriff ? Given John lives in rural area and probably knows every back road there is - wouldn't it make sense to be a sheriff (thinking of Andy Griffith )?

Any body google and find out how much did Lauren dress cost ?

3 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I had an unmedicated birth with a CNM and I wound up needing an IV because I was dehydrated! It also came in handy when I started to bleed heavily after delivery and needed pitocin to help stop the hemorrhage.  I also packed labor snacks and yeah the last thing I wanted to do was eat during labor.

I totally get the desire to have a "natural" /unmedicated birth ( I chose a CNM and went that route by choice!) but not having access to even an IV...just why. That doesn't really make the birth center that much different than home birth aside from the fact you wouldn't have to clean up after.

Also 2.5 hours in a car during labor sounds like absolute complete hell. I am sure that is part of why they induced. If I had a 2.5 car ride to the hospital I would have likely been on the news for delivering in the car. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

The dress shopping was very contrived and Duggar-ish.  When my daughter got married I (and only me, no entourage) went with her to look for dresses.  After 3 trips she had narrowed it down to 2 choices.  At that point she did ask my husband to come along because she was having trouble deciding and she knew he would not hesitate to tell her which one he thought suited her better.  My mother happened to be visiting and came along with us.  That was it.  But yes, there was definitely a creepy vibe to Lauren's dad's interest in the proceedings.

No less creepy than his sketchy self popping out from behind the bale of hay after the proposal. God, what weirdos. 

• Love 14
23 minutes ago, yogi2014L said:

Also 2.5 hours in a car during labor sounds like absolute complete hell. I am sure that is part of why they induced. If I had a 2.5 car ride to the hospital I would have likely been on the news for delivering in the car. 

I missed something..I thought the tour-lady (forgot her title) said the center did not use drugs. So how / where did Jinger get induced ? Induced with which drug - I only know about Pitocin from ages ago...

1 hour ago, sATL said:

28th birthday ski party with the entire family - including parents and siblings/family members under 12? I guess I forgotten for a second this is the Duggars... I was think it would just be the adult kids & spouses.

In real life, 6 weeks if you feel like it.

2 minutes ago, sATL said:

I missed something..I thought the tour-lady (forgot her title) said the center did not use drugs. So how / where did Jinger get induced ? Induced with which drug - I only know about Pitocin from ages ago...

Jinger didn't end up delivering at the birthing center they toured, she went to a real hospital.

• Love 4
Just now, sATL said:

hmmmm .. "Although constables are elected officials, most are not paid salaries, so the county and city budgets don’t take the hit for the additional law enforcement. Training, uniforms, equipment and all other expenses are paid for from the individual constable’s pockets"

Or an actual LEO I know likes to call them, "Pay for Play Cops".

• Love 4

Quite a few dads on "Say Yes to the Dress", and many weighing in on their daughter's "attributes" and measurements.  Lauren's dad looks totally benign and milquetoast compared to a lot of those papas. 

Totally agree with Riverblue22.  Nope, nada, nein, no way Jing & Baaaaaabe were gonna go the natural route.  That tour was strictly for the cameras and to tone down any shade taken at the other girls having their crotch-fruit tear them to shreds.  And I'm thinking none of the other husbands had any real physical concern for their wives or babies.  Because Jesus.  

YMMV of course.    

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 13
6 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Jinger didn't end up delivering at the birthing center they toured, she went to a real hospital.

And this decision was made before any labor occurred. It's entirely possible that she never intended to use the birth center at all. 

• Love 7

I'd like to thank the TLC muckety-mucks for editing out Michelle's inevitable birthday speech about how JD is such "a blessing" and Jana has such "a servant's heart." I'd like to have breakfast sometime soon, and Michelle's assembly-line-of-kids speech will make that less likely.

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, graefin said:

At least one of her parents was fully present. Her mom seemed like she was somewhere else. It's interesting in both these families how the kids seem closer to their dads than their moms? Lana just strikes me as another Michelle, but even more removed, if that's possible, like a robot that someone forgot to program. In that segment where Dwain was being interviewed and she was standing beside him, she had no reaction to what he was saying. Not a smile, even. Just a blank stare ahead. If you ask me, she's the one who's creepy.

A lot of folks on not just this forum, but every other TLC reality show forum, are bizarrely quick to project incest and pedophilia on pretty much every male character who they don't like or who acts strangely, which is basically everyone on TLC lol. I realize there's unfortunate precedent with the Duggars, but it's frankly a reach to assume that every positive interaction within the family or generations is evidence of incestuous sexual attraction. Re: Lauren's dad, lots of dads go wedding dress shopping with their daughters and lots of daughters value their fathers opinion and approval. Of course he's going to go along either way because of their weird overemphasis on patriarchy and gender roles. I don't think Lauren expressing her love for her dad or him helping her pick out a dress indicates any kind of romantic or lustful subtext whatsoever. If that were true, Say Yes to the Dress would be crawling with perverts. People just see what they want to see because as onlookers, we're fascinated by the obsessive sexual repression promoted by these families and therefore we start to believe that strictness is compensating for bigger taboos or that everyone is secretly banging each other behind the scenes out of sheer unbridled horniness.

Lauren's just a prudish, boring, sheltered girl who loves her prudish, boring, sheltered dad. 

ETA: @graefin I hope you know I'm agreeing with you and going on my own riff instead of criticizing your post! :)

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 19
10 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

It looked to me she wasn't thrilled with the birthing centre. Like it was done for filming only

Or she didn't know what to expect there, and what she saw wasn't what she wanted. 

It is interesting to note that Alisa the CPM attended Jinger's birth. Obviously, she couldn't play an official medical role, but it's telling that Jinge didn't even trust her own mother (with all of her experience!!!!) to act as her doula.

Edited by Sew Sumi
That was strange
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Lemur said:

Or an actual LEO I know likes to call them, "Pay for Play Cops".

I know reserve officers and deputies who pay for certain things related to being a reserve, and they can do the same things regular full time law enforcement personnel do without getting paid to do it. I know they have to bring in their own firearm while going through reserve training. Sadly a lot of departments cannot afford to have more paid officers/deputies, so they have reserves to pick up the slack. I have nothing against the reserves, but I still roll my eyes at Constable JD.

24 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I know reserve officers and deputies who pay for certain things related to being a reserve, and they can do the same things regular full time law enforcement personnel do without getting paid to do it. I know they have to bring in their own firearm while going through reserve training. Sadly a lot of departments cannot afford to have more paid officers/deputies, so they have reserves to pick up the slack. I have nothing against the reserves, but I still roll my eyes at Constable JD.

Being a Reserve or Special is different from being a Constable.  Reserves and Specials aren't elected positions, which a constable is.  And to run a campaign you need money and the backing of your local party, which is usually attainable with money.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, graefin said:

I can't say I've ever even heard her speak.  Or show any emotions on her steppord wife's countenance.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

Lauren's gown had too much material.  It looked like a bedspread and it looked very heavy and I'm not just talking modesty.  It looked thick.

I thought the back was stunning. Although no one could see it because of her hair and veil. 

• Love 3

I’ve never been involved with wedding dress shopping at all, but I assume the bride tries on a bunch of dresses, dresses that nearly ALL meet the brief, but hones down on what she wants exactly, and then eventually chooses the dress she wants. What I imagine doesn’t happen is the bride is presented with 5 dresses to choose from, including a pre chosen dress, plus 2 or 3 of which don’t meet the brief AT ALL, tried on in no particular order or logic. 

No surprise that the Duggars ski? in the off season! It’s cheaper!

Edited by kokapetl
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, MamaMax said:

I thought it made her ass look great. How is that allowed LOL?

Aren't mermaid gowns too Marilyn Monroe for fundies?  Exactly!  How is that allowed?  What, now Gothard said accentuating one's ass is OK, like sandals, banana curls, and covered collarbones?  I don't get it...

• Love 2
8 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

The people who he is suppose to serve and protect should be grateful Barney Fife Duggar is not there. How he got elected is the big question. Are they hard up for constables where he lives. He is an embarrassment and a joke to the law enforcement field.

An embarrassment? A joke? He volunteered for an unpaid position. How did he get elected? He got more votes than the other guy.  

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Lemur said:

Being a Reserve or Special is different from being a Constable.  Reserves and Specials aren't elected positions, which a constable is.  And to run a campaign you need money and the backing of your local party, which is usually attainable with money.

No one must have ran against him, and knowing JB, he probably "helped" him get elected. Like I said they must be hard up for constables in the area to elect JD. Makes me glad I have amazing law enforcement departments where I live and have the less chance of getting a Duggar Style Barney Fife.

3 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

An embarrassment? A joke? He volunteered for an unpaid position. How did he get elected? He got more votes than the other guy.  

I see your point of view, but did you see the one episode where JB on a ride along with JD before the first Smuggly Do Wrong scandal hit the fan. They both were an embarrassment to law enforcement and to families of law enforcement officers. I am a police department volunteer where I live, and there have been volunteers who got cut out of the program for doing some stupid things while doing volunteer work or hanging out with the wrong people. If volunteer or a reserve officer or deputy pulled the same crap JD did with someone during a ride along, his or her behind would be toast. Plus the fact, the people who live in the county would not be please over the whole thing.

47 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

I’ve never been involved with wedding dress shopping at all, but I assume the bride tries on a bunch of dresses, dresses that nearly ALL meet the brief, but hones down on what she wants exactly, and then eventually chooses the dress she wants. What I imagine doesn’t happen is the bride is presented with 5 dresses to choose from, including a pre chosen dress, plus 2 or 3 of which don’t meet the brief AT ALL, tried on in no particular order or logic. 

No surprise that the Duggars ski? in the off season! It’s cheaper!

It was still ski season. However, someone knew about Chalby at the time and said it's a cheapo place. 

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

No one must have ran against him, and knowing JB, he probably "helped" him get elected. Like I said they must be hard up for constables in the area to elect JD. Makes me glad I have amazing law enforcement departments where I live and have the less chance of getting a Duggar Style Barney Fife.

Some guy did run against him: Matt Miller.

John-David is no Stacey Koon. 

Edited by kokapetl