Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: Lauren Finds Her Dress

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

As I noted in another thread, JD/Jana's birthday is in early January, yet this excursion happened in mid-March, around Spring Break. Why the delay? It's not like they have to ask their boss for time off (see Josiah's random RV trip). 

Of course, the leghumpers won't realize that this is yet another fabricated plotline. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

As I noted in another thread, JD/Jana's birthday is in early January, yet this excursion happened in mid-March, around Spring Break. Why the delay? It's not like they have to ask their boss for time off (see Josiah's random RV trip). 

Of course, the leghumpers won't realize that this is yet another fabricated plotline. 

That is some serious late spring skiing i.e., no need for all of those parkas. I'm surprised there weren't any pixelated women skiing in sports bras. #nike

I wonder who rigged the snow guns outside the Dungalo windows.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, duddley said:

Lauren is like a human version of Eeyore. 

And her dad/bestie needs to step the hell back. Is he going to pop out of the closet after they consummate the marriage and hand her a box of tissues?? What a frigging creep. She TOTALLY does not want to get married, either. A psychologist could write a book about Lauren. 

And what is it with this family and the games? Baby food race, Pictionary, Love it or Leave it, gender reveal hula hoop? Jeez.

Edited by Bethanne
  • Love 16

Am I the only one who thought all of the dresses were ugly? Though I'm guessing this was like an episode of House Hunters. Lauren had already closed the deal on her dress and was touring others for a storyline. All those lace dresses were their version of formica counter tops and white appliances. Why have her try them otherwise?

• Love 18
46 minutes ago, Bethanne said:

And what is it with this family and the games? Baby food race, Pictionary, Love it or Leave it, gender reveal hula hoop? Jeez.

Is it possible TLC pushes/arranges for such games, considering they need something vaguely adventurous and cinematic for the family to do when the family in question, considers next door to everything as eeeeeeeevil?

• Love 9

OK, so I enjoyed the JinJer scenes. I also liked Jana and JD competing against one another. I felt like more of her personality came out during that Pictionary game!

But is it me or is it weird for the father to accompany his daughter as she shops for a dress? Especially in fundie circles! I don't even think JB did that with any of his daughters. Man, Dwain is something else. Also, to be honest, I have wondered about his orientation as well, much like others have wondered about Josiah's. Also, Lana is just there

• Love 11

At least the mystery surrounding the sleeves on Lauren’s dress has been solved. Instead of adding sleeves, she’s the first to have them shortened. I did think the modesty thing was silly, “high neckline and no lace” but completely form fitting is totally ok.  Hmmm.

I think the Duggars play so many games because they have no TVs for entertainment.  I was glad to see the “older” kids over for the games but also sad for Jana and JD because Joy used to be considered the youngest of their age group and she was one of the older ones there.

I’m so proud of Jinger for recognizing the need to birth with professionals and equipment near a hospital!  You could tell she was not excited about labor or natural “no drugs” birth probably because she had seen her sisters and mom go through so much trauma.  I’m guessing Jess’s have her a play by play of her traumatic first experience and it’s a wonder at all that Jinger even decided to have kids.  2.5 hours does seem far to drive though when you’re in labor?

• Love 11

So I thought John-David was the head smart ass in the family, but it appears that a seriously sarcastic sense of humor is one way he and Jana are similar.  And not only the same smart ass sense of humor, but a perfect, dry delivery too.  Never even cracked a smile after saying that she and John-David can read each others' minds, because that's what twins do, after all......duh.  ;-)

• Love 19

I'm ten minutes into the episode and wow, Joy looks like hell. What is going on with that girl? 

Jana and Laura make a cute couple 

Does anyone else think the Duggars go on ski vacations way more than the "once every five years for TLC trips"? I noticed several of the kids were at a level beyond what I'd consider beginner, especially JD, Justin and Josie. 

• Love 9

The first 40 minutes of the episode were nice. I liked seeing the older kids interact and have fun without eighty zillion toddlers around. Jana has a personality after all, who knew? 

But the last twenty minutes? The Swansons are flat-out creepy. I've never seen a father so overly involved with his daughter's wedding. I don't think Lauren wanted to marry Si, so Dwain is tomato-staking her to ensure she sticks to the plan.

I also agree Lauren had chosen her dress long ago and the store trip was faked. She was very clear on what she wanted, so she wouldn't have been trying on a bunch of lace dresses when she was adamant about not wanting lace. 

• Love 16
2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Weren’t the Duggars in  Australia for the actual birthdays? I seem to remember photos of John ‘celebrating’ his birthday at Austin and Joys’. 

Yup, the Duggars had their speaking engagement on Jan. 13. Jana most likely spent her birthday wrangling kids at the airport and JD spent it with these losers.

Screenshot_20180917-222819.thumb.jpg.9ac4916b50e26b64af9d1e899fb10977.jpg

• Love 6
6 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Jessa is a ski instructor. Who knew. Duggar School of Becoming a Professional by Observation. #strikesagain

I think Ben referred to his "ski instructor and Jessa," not "his ski instructor, Jessa."  At least, that's how I remember hearing it?

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Annb67 said:

Lauren should've married her dad. This family is beyond creepy. Something is going to come out, mark my words.

Like the Willis family?  Wholesome on the outside with a creepy filling.  Note please, not going as far as saying poppa Swanson is a child molester just that looking that "perfect" on the surface while also being that close and invested in each other is a little..."off?".   

I thought this episode had more good and fun things than a lot of the recent episodes.  Austin showed actual humor with his worst skier answer and watching him worm out of "I didn't mean Joy" was pretty funny.  Extra bonus points that every skiing kid had a helmet on whether the family already does this or TLC made them do it at least they had them.  And Jinger win's the night with the chickens comment:  Rest in peace; or in pieces.  Also I think her and Jer's faces and the kissing when they found out the baby was a girl was a real moment not a camera moment and showed they do have true affection for each other  

John David has to be elected constable?  Did he run on a platform of "I'll serve part-time when I feel like it between my filming commitments"

• Love 22
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Jana has a personality after all, who knew? 

Ha, I swear I came to this board to post those exact same words.  She was like a different person playing that game.  I just always thought she had this boring personality.  We actually got to see her acting normally and having fun.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

I think Ben referred to his "ski instructor and Jessa," not "his ski instructor, Jessa."  At least, that's how I remember hearing it?

I was being sarcastic about Jessa coaching him :)  Such is the way of the Duggars; they become professionals by observation.  My personal favorite was when they all became floral designers.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

OK, so I enjoyed the JinJer scenes. I also liked Jana and JD competing against one another. I felt like more of her personality came out during that Pictionary game!

But is it me or is it weird for the father to accompany his daughter as she shops for a dress? Especially in fundie circles! I don't even think JB did that with any of his daughters. Man, Dwain is something else. Also, to be honest, I have wondered about his orientation as well, much like others have wondered about Josiah's. Also, Lana is just there

I liked seeing the raw emotion on JinJer faces when they found out they were having a girl. 

Jana was actually kind of fun during that game. 

Shock that so many Duggars ski so well and that the girls wore pants! You could so tell Joy wishes she was out there. 

• Love 9
10 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Doesn't Dwain do something along the lines of "conversion" therapy? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Like the Willis family?  Wholesome on the outside with a creepy filling.  Note please, not going as far as saying poppa Swanson is a child molester just that looking that "perfect" on the surface while also being that close and invested in each other is a little..."off?".   

I thought this episode had more good and fun things than a lot of the recent episodes.  Austin showed actual humor with his worst skier answer and watching him worm out of "I didn't mean Joy" was pretty funny.  Extra bonus points that every skiing kid had a helmet on whether the family already does this or TLC made them do it at least they had them.  And Jinger win's the night with the chickens comment:  Rest in peace; or in pieces.  Also I think her and Jer's faces and the kissing when they found out the baby was a girl was a real moment not a camera moment and showed they do have true affection for each other  

John David has to be elected constable?  Did he run on a platform of "I'll serve part-time when I feel like it between my filming commitments"

The people who he is suppose to serve and protect should be grateful Barney Fife Duggar is not there. How he got elected is the big question. Are they hard up for constables where he lives. He is an embarrassment and a joke to the law enforcement field.

14 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

The people who he is suppose to serve and protect should be grateful Barney Fife Duggar is not there. How he got elected is the big question. Are they hard up for constables where he lives. He is an embarrassment and a joke to the law enforcement field.

It's a volunteer position. He's probably the only one who ran.

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

It's a volunteer position. He's probably the only one who ran.

I wonder how JB feels about Ben's sister being a full time law enforcement officer. A young woman who went to the academy and became an officer compared to his son being a version of a volunteer Duggar Barney Fife. I love it!

Edited by bigskygirl
6 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

BUT Jessa did sound extremely ski know it all throwing all those "instructions" at poor Ben and how many times has SHE skied? Been seemed a bit angry.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, flyingdi said:

I'll bet Michelle could ski and in a skirt!  Just saying!

Dwain is Jim Bob Junior.

Last year, the Bateses all went skiing and all the girls wore silly skirts over ski pants.  Rediculous!

And I just kept thinking about the expense of just all the parkas and ski pants and gloves for all, plus the lift tickets and cabin.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I got lesbian vibes from too!

The birthing center still give me pause. 2.5 hours away, decorated like a preschool for grown women, no drugs. I also loved "We don't do IVs, we want you to get nutrition naturally!" Yeah, because every laboring woman is going to take a break from shoving a human out of her crotch to go microwave a Hot Pocket.

Were those midwives CPM or CNM?

13 hours ago, Squirrely said:

Am I the only one who thought all of the dresses were ugly? Though I'm guessing this was like an episode of House Hunters. Lauren had already closed the deal on her dress and was touring others for a storyline. All those lace dresses were their version of formica counter tops and white appliances. Why have her try them otherwise?

Wouldn't Lauren have let Renee know ahead of time what she was looking for in a wedding dress? Like no lace. She seemed to be adamant about that yet most, if not all, were lace.

Like we have discussed before, it's a shame the newer brides-to-be wedding gown choices seem to be limited to Renee's.  We all know it may take a few shops to find "the dress".

2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

You could so tell Joy wishes she was out there. 

Even though it's too late for Joy,  this could be a wakeup call.  Realizing  babies/children tie you down & you aren't able to do the things you were used to as a couple or single . Especially when you are as young as they are. This is only the beginning Joy.

I think the girls did wear skirts over their ski pants when they went skiing before. I may be wrong, but I remember Anna making all kinds of excuses when she didn't.  Anyone remember?

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 7