Type keyword(s) to search

Kidding - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Jeff Pickles decides it's time to talk about death on Mr. Pickles' Puppet Time. His executive producer, Seb, feels that Mr. Pickles the persona and Jeff Pickles the person need to remain separate. Deirdre punishes her daughter Maddy for not eating her veggies.

Watched this On Demand last night and thought it was a pretty good first episode.

The Mr Pickles persona kinda creeped me out and I was left wondering how he could be perceived as this longtime, benign TV friend when it he came across as kind of serial-killer-y to me. Also, I wasn't really clear why Frank Langella (not recalling the character's name) killed the segment where Mr Pickles addressed his son's death. Though, that being said, the whole, "pack up your toys and send them off to toyless kids" analogy with putting his son into a casket was...unusual.

Why are bratty kids presented as cute and/or normal? I get that the one kid is mourning his brother, but sweet Jesus, if I spoke to my father like that, I'd be sharing my dead brother's grave.

I hate that disrespectful brats are the norm on tv.

• Love 9
On 9/2/2018 at 8:49 AM, Giant Misfit said:

The Mr Pickles persona kinda creeped me out and I was left wondering how he could be perceived as this longtime, benign TV friend when it he came across as kind of serial-killer-y to me. 

I'm taking it from the perspective that he started young and at that time he came across as an innocent, trustworthy person. Kind face, calm persona etc. But now that he is older and we as the audience are only seeing him for the first time, we can see that he does have that creepy vibe going. We don't have the reference of growing older with him. 

Interesting first ep. I watched it ondemand and for some reason they censored it due to it being a "free" weekend. Odd since I pay for Showtime.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Pippin said:

Why are bratty kids presented as cute and/or normal? I get that the one kid is mourning his brother,

Not a fan of bratty kids on TV shows (or IRL either for that matter). And I'm not sure if he's normally that obnoxious—or that behavior ramped up after the death of his brother who it seems he had a hand in hastening to his grave. Then again, unfastening his brother's seat belt could be considered obnoxious behavior or just a kid being a kid. I dunno.

8 hours ago, lynxfx said:

I'm taking it from the perspective that he started young and at that time he came across as an innocent, trustworthy person. Kind face, calm persona etc. But now that he is older and we as the audience are only seeing him for the first time, we can see that he does have that creepy vibe going.

I think that's a fair perspective. 

I don’t have kids so I kinda see these adults in weird outfits playing with young kids in a weird Perspective.  Instead of my sister just being glad that her kids have something “harmless” to watch.  Yeah it’s kinda weird if you think about it too much but why think about it so much?  Mr. Pickles and the ilk may legitimately want to put on a show that young kids can watch and their parents can be on with.  

Of course there are bratty kids.  All kids are bratty.  I sure as hell was.  And you can say my parents wouldn’t have let me get away with it.  And maybe they didn’t.  But also they did.  But most of us turned out ok.  Kids are brats.  

I thought the kids were realistically portrayed.  If they hadn't been then Carrey's Mr. Rogers act would have been even creepier.

Did Deirdre's daughter tell her everything that she saw?  Or just that the carrots hit the ground.

Those actresses being on In Living Color is probably the reason I kept thinking I'd see Fire Marshall Bill pop up, adding the creepy factor. 

Has happened before. When Giancarlo showed up on Breaking Bad I kept thinking of the phrase "Dean, Big Brother Almighty" before I made the connection. Truth. The brain is a weird thing.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Did Deirdre's daughter tell her everything that she saw?

Nothing like seeing your dad getting a hand job from your neighbor. WTF? Catherine Keener looked kind of stunned so I am assuming the daughter did tell her but I was expecting her to confront her husband.

• Love 1

This was . . . weird. I'm not sure what to make of it, except that it was compelling enough to hold my attention and make me want to watch another episode. But yeah, it was strange. I tend to agree that Mr. Pickles comes across as far too creepy to be perceived as a Mr. Rogers-type, but that's mostly because of his weird page-boy haircut. 

I just didn't know what to expect with this thing because the marketing has been pretty weak, and I can see why since it's hard to pin down. It's certainly not a comedy. I wonder how successful it will be. 

Not a fan of bratty kids on TV shows (or IRL either for that matter). And I'm not sure if he's normally that obnoxious—or that behavior ramped up after the death of his brother who it seems he had a hand in hastening to his grave. Then again, unfastening his brother's seat belt could be considered obnoxious behavior or just a kid being a kid.

I'm not sure which twin was killed. You'd think the seat belt thing would have been significant since they made a point of showing it, but the car was struck on the passenger side, and the kid whose seat belt was unbuckled was on the driver's side. I would be more inclined to think the kid sitting on the passenger side would have been the one killed by the impact since that's where the car was hit. The mother seemed fine so it appears those on the driver's side were spared. 

I'm not sure how much time is supposed to have passed since the car accident either. The surviving child has not visibly aged so I wouldn't think more than a year has passed. The tombstone looks like it's been there for years, though.

• Love 3
On 9/12/2018 at 3:54 PM, MrFluffy said:

I'm also unclear about the PBS head (he's calling him "Dad," is that just a nickname?) and the woman who is a costume designer on the show. Is she his sister? What is the relationship? I probably missed something obvious.

I don't think it was obvious. I think it was supposed to be a shocker (yes, Catherine Keener is his sister, Frank Langella is his dad). Somewhat surprisingly, it was spoiled in the preview/review I read in the WaPo a day or two ago so I already knew this and I guess it being revealed in the first episode made it less of a spoiler but still ...

I've never been a fan of Jim Carrey, I admit, but am intrigued by the concept of this show (and adore Langella and also Justin Kirk, who we see is the ex-wife's boyfriend) ... definitely willing to give it a few more episodes ...

My husband caught that Kelly Cofield Park was the realtor (Kelly Cofield when she was on ILC and she married a later addition to the cast, Steve Park) but we both missed T'Keyah Crystal Keymah ... great catch! (BTW, if you're a fan of ILC, "Homey Don't Play That" is a GREAT book!)

Somehow I think that will describe most of the episodes......

Langella had a fantastic line about how Jeff was acting like he could go up in a tower and start shooting people.  "You're like Charles Whitman's younger, more creative brother!"

I like Will and his assorted stoner friends.

I hope we get to see more backstory on the divorce between Jeff and Jill. Jill was driving the car when their son was killed, yet she has primary custody of the surviving child? This, despite the fact that "Mr. Pickles" is a much beloved figure among children and adults alike, and clearly has no alcohol or drug issues. I know the courts usually favor the mother but this would be like if Mr. Rogers' wife was semi-responsible for the death of one of their children yet was awarded custody of the others over Mr. Rogers himself.  

I suppose it's possible that Jeff was diagnosed with some sort of mental issues since he clearly isn't processing any of this well, but if that were the case, I would expect us to see him going to court ordered therapy or something.

I've seen Judy Greer in a million things, but I was completely unprepared for the full frontal shot of her boobs. 

I'm assuming something will come of the fact that the stove is on but if it's actually lit, why didn't the realtor notice it? And if it isn't lit and it's just leaking gas, she should have noticed that even more - she was standing two feet away from it.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3
On 9/19/2018 at 10:35 AM, iMonrey said:

I've seen Judy Greer in a million things, but I was completely unprepared for the full frontal shot of her boobs. 

DITTO!   I watched this episode with my adult (almost 50) son.  I think I said, "Whoa!" as in no-no-no, Judy.   He said, "Whoa!" as in yes-yes-yessssss.

• Love 1
On 9/19/2018 at 12:35 PM, iMonrey said:

I hope we get to see more backstory on the divorce between Jeff and Jill. Jill was driving the car when their son was killed, yet she has primary custody of the surviving child? This, despite the fact that "Mr. Pickles" is a much beloved figure among children and adults alike, and clearly has no alcohol or drug issues. I know the courts usually favor the mother but this would be like if Mr. Rogers' wife was semi-responsible for the death of one of their children yet was awarded custody of the others over Mr. Rogers himself. 

How was she responsible? It was pretty clear from episode 1 that the light shorted and was green for her and the delivery truck that hit her. It would’ve been more the truck’s fault since he hit her and would’ve been the one that “could’ve” stopped. I can’t imagine any custody judge in the world who would take that into account. Second, I imagine he is too nice to consider taking Will from her. Third, he’s a tv show host and she appears to be a nurse - again, can’t see how any judge could hold that against her?

• Love 2

Good God that kid just randomly screaming all the time drove me crazy.

This show is just so . . . weird. And while this particular forum may not be the best litmus test of popularity, I don't think many people are talking about it either. I'm not liking its chances of survival. I suspect anyone who samples it is just as baffled. You expect a comedy with Jim Carrey and this is anything but that. The fact that it's on Showtime makes me wonder if other outlets took a pass on it.

• Love 2

I like (I think) this show but I think I might be enjoying it more as a binge watch or a feature film. It's hard for me to to really form an opinion about the story since I don't think I understand what the story is yet. 

Speaking of not understanding, I don't even know what to make of Jeff hooking up with the cancer patient. Never mind that I have no idea how he was able to contact her, but am I supposed to think he found her desirable because she didn't tell him he "saved her life" like his date or that he wanted to think he was helping her have a better life (as much as she had left) by having sex with her?  

The other thing is Jeff's dad. Why is he all of a sudden so obsessed with heave-ho'ing the bread and butter of his franchise? Sure, an animated Mr Pickles could live on in perpetuity but the real Mr Pickles is alive and well and, after the show Jeff taped about the death of this son, we haven't seen him pull anymore on-set shenanigans that would support his ouster. 

I kind of like the way this ended. Mr. Pickles is such an absurd, pie-in-the-sky character and it was kind of nice to hear his wife read him the riot act and tell him to join the real world. And then . . . everything he said ended up being true. The girl's phone was broken, the truck driver did need a cane to walk, and the kid who went over the falls in a barrel sailed away on a home-made parachute. (Said kid also played Jasper on Last Man on Earth.)

The giant puppet head that looked like Jim Carrey was creepy as hell. 

I don't think I got that the puppet designer/maker was his sister until just now.   

• Love 5
On 9/25/2018 at 2:14 PM, Giant Misfit said:

Why is he all of a sudden so obsessed with heave-ho'ing the bread and butter of his franchise?

I think he's thinking of CONTINGENCY.   The "death" show hasn't been broadcast, so there will probably be more pushing about that.

On 9/10/2018 at 2:48 PM, CynicalGirl said:

The woman who fitted his hairpiece was also on In Living Color. (T'Keyah Crystal Keymáh)

On 9/14/2018 at 7:10 PM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

but we both missed T'Keyah Crystal Keymah

I think because she wasn't in this episode, it was the 2nd episode.

5 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I think because she wasn't in this episode, it was the 2nd episode.

Exactly! Thank you for mentioning this ... we didn't watch the first two together ... but I am really grateful someone brought it up here because otherwise I probably would have been going nuts trying to figure out why she was so familiar!!!

• Love 1

I keep going back and forth on the Jeff Pickles character.  On the one hand, there's a certain amount of cloyingly absurd Pollyanna-type characteristics, and on the other hand, there's a depth of kindness and insight that is really moving.  The line "Hate doesn't punish who you think it does" is the perfect example of both aspects.  It's kind of cliched, yet deeply touching.  And accurate.

And the few moments when towards the end of the episode that is nothing but a closeup on his face- that was some brutal but sweet stuff.  My estimation of Jim Carrey as an actor has really gone up.

• Love 4

I really like this show.

It was just an accident that the day before I started watching it, I watched the documentary on Netflix about Jim Carrey playing Andy Kaufman on Netflix.     I really have not seen that many of Jim Carrey's movies--I'm not a big fan of his broader comedy movies, but I loved Eternal Sunshine, and that plus being intrigued by the Jim Carrey who narrated the documentary made me give it a try.

I love Jeff Pickles and I wish his family was able to let him grieve the way he needs to--I don't think it would be the catastrophe his father thinks.

I am also a huge Catherine Keener fan and I'm fascinated by her storyline with her husband and daughter so far.

And when they introduced Jill's new boyfriend I gasped..."Andy!" (from Weeds--he's an old favorite).

Unusual show, probably not one for everyone, but I like it so far.

• Love 4
On 10/1/2018 at 4:32 PM, iMonrey said:

I kind of like the way this ended. Mr. Pickles is such an absurd, pie-in-the-sky character and it was kind of nice to hear his wife read him the riot act and tell him to join the real world. And then . . . everything he said ended up being true...

Every scene seems to have a meaning but doesn't bluntly explain the meaning to you, but rather tries to get you to figure it out yourself.

Spoiler

Like in the beginning, when someone smashes a jar of pickles on someone's door, only to later realize that the door belonged to the man responsible for the death of Mr. Pickles son. And the person probably threw the pickles because they found out that the man in the house was responsible for the death of the beloved character's son.

Then right after being yelled at and looking like he is about to lose his mind, he gets a text confirming that the girl he was hoping to get a reply from, had in fact broken her phone and really did want to see him again.

And the letter that the girl got in the mail had the word "Pickles" on it. It was probably another check sent to them from Mr. Pickles. And the man who was responsible for killing his son did have a daughter and had to walk with a cane.

His son is seen trying to learn magic tricks, even after he had thrown away the magic kit that his father had bought him.

The mother was then seen whistling a tune that Mr. Pickles had recently added to his show. Even though she claimed that she didn't watch the show anymore. This indicates that she probably does watch the show but lied about it.

And then it shows a boy float safely in a barrel with a sheet as a parachute after going over a waterfall. This is clearly not possible, so this last scene puts into question the validity of every other scene...

• Love 2

I really, really love this show and, having heard the news it's been cancelled, sincerely hope the last episode provides a closed-end ending instead of some cliffhanger intended to keep the audience interested until a second season starts. 

I really love Jeff's relationship with Vivian, too. 

On 10/12/2018 at 2:21 PM, Starchild said:

Can this show really end with anything other than a massacre?

Well, at least we had the Tarakeet. 

1 hour ago, CynicalGirl said:

Cancelled? I'm confused. Deadline reported 5 days ago that it's been renewed for a second season. 

LOL! I read it as cancelled. Because I cannot read ALL the words it seems.

giphy.gif

Ok so is KIDDING renewed for Season 2 or Cancelled ? I had two episodes on my DVR and said ‘screw it, why watch if it’s cancelked?’ and deleted them

??but it’s renewed?  I’m not sure if i want to keep watching anyway...I’ve got so many shows in my DVR rotation there’s only so many hours a week to catch up. Not sure if this show grabbed me

28 minutes ago, DNR said:

Not sure if this show grabbed me

I liked it but kinda felt the same way after watching two episodes. Then I forgot about it and watched three episodes back to back and really fell in love with it. I just don't think it's something I found interesting in 30-minute increments every seven days.  I'm sorry if I caused you to delete it! Try to catch it On Demand! ;) 

I'd be surprised if the show wasn't initially greenlit for two seasons simply on the basis of Jim Carrey's star power (which, admittedly, has waned a bit from his heyday). They did basically the same thing with Patrick Stewart and Blunt Talk: your bigger stars aren't going to sign on for a series unless there's a guarantee of at least 2 seasons. 

The show is weird, and despite what Deadline claims, is not doing great in the ratings. I am strangely invested in it but at the same time I'm kind of repulsed by Mr. Pickles. He's just so damn creepy. It's mostly the hair.

Okay I get that these characters are fairly over the top sometimes, but it strains credulity that they would all scream "Fuck you, c***!" at a CANCER SURVIVOR.  Especially Jeff's ex wife - she's an oncology nurse, for fuck's sake.

• Love 1

I thought perhaps the f u was a thought not real?!

I was not sure about that part...it was kind of sick!

What a weird show - most of the time I don't get it...maybe I'm just so disturbed by this show but watch it like passing by a train wreck peeking

OMG. Last night's episode was perfection. 

"There's no chemo for dengue!" 

Also loved Mr Pickle-san's creative substitute for a third hand for his puppet. 

On 10/21/2018 at 1:52 PM, Maurina said:

Okay I get that these characters are fairly over the top sometimes, but it strains credulity that they would all scream "Fuck you, c***!" at a CANCER SURVIVOR.  Especially Jeff's ex wife - she's an oncology nurse, for fuck's sake.

that was a pretty shitty thing for her to do after he helped her so very much with wanting to live. she could have let him down better and in private. wow. felt really bad for jeff.

on the other hand.....not too happy about another animal abuse scene. mr pickles is surely complicated isn't he? all the love blah blah but has no problem killing an innocent bird  whose vocalizations were the creation of the evil tara lipinsky . and then putting it down the garbage disposal.

what was with japanese mr pickles . could he really speak english or were those scenes some weird (not rare for this show) fantasy thing? and the third puppet, um. wtf.

• Love 1

I thought perhaps the f u was a thought not real?!

I couldn't decide whether that really happened or not either. Frankly I feel like this show is going too far off the rails. I could barely maintain attention during this last one and all the scenes between Deirdre and Mr. Pickles-San was like some weird, stream-of consciousness acid trip. I don't know what's real and what isn't anymore. The show makes less and less sense as it goes along.

• Love 2