Type keyword(s) to search

Perry Mason - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think I saw a promo last week, that they'll be airing the movies every Wednesday?

I thought it was all week. And going by the Directv guide, it thought so too. Mentioned the movie, instead of what actually aired. Very confusing.

3 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Hallmark Movies and Mysteries isn't showing Perry Mason today. They're showing some lame murder mystery instead. Hard pass.

The Case of the Silenced Singer was on at 2pm (central). Movies on at the same time all week.

Tuesday - Case of the Defiant Daughter

Wednesday - Case of the Ruthless Reporter

Thursday - Case of the Maligned Mobster

Friday - Case of the Glass Coffin

20 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Yesterday was weird. They had the PM movie airing from 2-4 and Mystery 101 from 4-6, but when I went to record the PM movie the DVR set the recording from 2-6, so it would have recorded both if I hadn't stopped it. Maybe that is what confused you, @AntiBeeSpray?

That's just weird. The way Comcast/Xfinity's dvrs are set up, it doesn't matter what time the movies air--as long as I tell it to record the movies (new/repeats), it will record them. The only time it won't record it, is if say, Perry Mason Returns airs at 2:00 pm and 6:00 pm. It will record the 2:00 but not the 6:00, because it already recorded it earlier. If more than two weeks have gone by, then it will record it again. Or if it's airing on two different channels, it will record both.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Yesterday was weird. They had the PM movie airing from 2-4 and Mystery 101 from 4-6, but when I went to record the PM movie the DVR set the recording from 2-6, so it would have recorded both if I hadn't stopped it. Maybe that is what confused you, @AntiBeeSpray?

Maybe that was it. They just had it listed from 2-7 for some reason. Very odd.

• Love 1
On 2/18/2017 at 7:18 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Ugh. I really really didn't like the character of Amy, played by Alexandra Paul. Such a ditz. And I was yelling "No she ISN'T!" When the writers had Perry tell Ken that Amy was his "Della." First of all, Della has common sense and isn't an idiot. I'm glad we only had to suffer her for three movies, I think. Or maybe it was two.

Boo! to no throwaway line about why Paul was no longer their investigator.  And Barbara Hale had said that the reason why was that William Katt had a new show, but after checking on imdb, it either wasn't picked up, or cancelled after a few episodes. So why not bring him back? It's not as if these movies were a weekly series? I think there were two or three movies a year. I really wish they'd brought him back. And I know I'm the minority in this.

And along with the loss of Paul, we also lost David Ogden Stiers as ADA Reston, and got the revolving doors of different ADAs prosecuting.

I am watching the Perry Mason TV movies in order and just got around to the first one with law student Ken, The Case of the Lethal Lesson. Yeah, I was wondering what happened to Paul and why there wasn't any dialogue why he wasn't their investigator anymore. Maybe he stayed in Boston to be with the granddaughter of Della's friend that he met at the end of The Lady In The Lake! LOL.

As for Amy - I'll just say that I understand why Alexandra Paul made it to Lifetime movies after this. Her Amy was just on the side of creepy with her semi-stalking of Ken.

Of course, Amy/Ken did have that last scene where she drove around the block three times waiting for him to catch her, which led to the Perry/Della scene and the "As always, I'll get you the first time around" line so there was that 🙂

• Love 2
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Heads up! Today’s Ironside on Cozi, episode 8 reunites Raymond and Barbara!!! 

My DVR incorrectly lists it as Season 5, episode *7*, "Murder Impromptu". I only mention in case someone else also has it listed incorrectly. The episode title is correct. It's the 2nd episode tonight.

Edited by Schnickelfritz
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Schnickelfritz said:

My DVR incorrectly lists it as Season 5, episode *7*, "Murder Impromptu". I only mention in case someone else also has it listed incorrectly. The episode title is correct. It's the 2nd episode tonight.

It’s possible IMDB has it incorrect? Sometimes when a pilot is two hours, the station airing it will split it in two episodes...but the math doesn’t work, either by that logic. Huh. I was going by IMBD’s information.

15 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It’s possible IMDB has it incorrect? Sometimes when a pilot is two hours, the station airing it will split it in two episodes...but the math doesn’t work, either by that logic. Huh. I was going by IMBD’s information.

Good question! Between the 2 of us, we managed to get the info out in all of its variations.  (I think)

Just looking forward to seeing the episode. Thanks for the heads up!!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Heads up! Today’s Ironside on Cozi, episode 8 reunites Raymond and Barbara!!! 

Thanks!! Has anyone seen this episode before? Did they have a one-on-one scene?

SQUEEEEE!!!!!! Opening scene Barbara and Raymond are sitting together at a table! They are old friends! Of course the murder is about to happen, but FIRST SCENE!!!!

I just started watching and they look fabulous together!🥰🥰🥰

• Love 4
On 6/14/2019 at 3:37 AM, LexieLily said:

Hallmark Movies and Mysteries isn't showing the PM movies as of next week. Boo. Does anyone know are they off the rotation? I wasn't finished watching all of them 😞

Yes, they are off the rotation.

8 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Perry Mason along with the TV movies are now gone from Hallmark Movies and Mysteries.

Eh, while I enjoyed them, I find the original series to be vastly superior. And like @peacheslatour said, I watch them on MeTV. Plus, I have all the movies and series on DVD. The only movie I’ll rewatch again and again is Perry Mason Returns, for that wonderful reunion scene between Perry and Della, after the exchange where Della asks Perry since when do Superior Court judges get to try cases, and he tells her “Let’s just say I got tired of writing opinions.” Followed by:

Della’s tearful ”Oh Perry!” that never fails to make me cry. And that hug!🥰🥰🥰

• Love 3
On 6/19/2019 at 10:36 AM, peacheslatour said:

I watch the original series on METV and there's another channel (fetv) that just came out. They have two episodes on every weekday at 5 and 6.

I think FeTV has been available on Comcast in the Chicago area for at least a year, Channel 110. It's a pretty decent Baby Boomer TV channel.

https://fetv.tv/shows/

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Hyacinth B said:

I think FeTV has been available on Comcast in the Chicago area for at least a year, Channel 110. It's a pretty decent Baby Boomer TV channel.

https://fetv.tv/shows/

36 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Whatever you say Mrs.Bucket!

Hey, it's fun watching The Lone Ranger and Roy Rogers and pretending it's Saturday morning in the 50s again! All that's missing is Sky King and Super Circus.

And ON Saturdays ... THE MONKEES! ☺️☺️

• Love 2
On 6/24/2019 at 2:50 PM, Hyacinth B said:

Hey, it's fun watching The Lone Ranger and Roy Rogers and pretending it's Saturday morning in the 50s again! All that's missing is Sky King and Super Circus.

And ON Saturdays ... THE MONKEES! ☺️☺️

They've got Route 66 now. *swoon*

8 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

I'm sure everyone here is aware, but the entire series is on Prime Video.  Amazon has a lot of older shows on Prime, I only found Perry Mason looking for something for my mom to watch.

I did not know this! Thanks!!

(edited)
On 7/6/2019 at 10:06 AM, junemeatcleaver said:

I'm sure everyone here is aware, but the entire series is on Prime Video.  Amazon has a lot of older shows on Prime, I only found Perry Mason looking for something for my mom to watch.

@junemeatcleaver, Is the show available on Prime without CBS All Access?  About a month ago I watched one earl6y episode of Perry on Prime but when I tried to watch  another I was asked to join All Access.  Has that changed?  I do watch the show very often via METV but it would be great to stream it without commercials.  thanks

ETA I just checked Prime and Seasons 1 - 5 are available, thanks, great news!

Edited by roseha
Added paragraph.

ETA I just checked Prime and Seasons 1 - 5 are available, thanks, great news!

I meant to drop back by this thread to say Prime only had the first five seasons.  I'm sorry I didn't notice until after I posted and failed to correct my mistake.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

What kind of sadistic interior designer did Perry have? In the original series, which I have been watching lately, I can't get over his horrific office. Wicker desk? And what is up with that fake wood paneling? 

Well that style was kind of in back then, during the 1950's - 60's.

Just an FYI for everyone who gets MeTV.  Perry Mason is starting over its evening airing with Season 1, episode 1 on Monday the 16th.  Tune in to see Raymond Burr at his thinnest--he lost over fifty pounds when he was cast as Perry and then slowly gained it back during the show's nine season run.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Collinwood said:

Just an FYI for everyone who gets MeTV.  Perry Mason is starting over its evening airing with Season 1, episode 1 on Monday the 16th.  Tune in to see Raymond Burr at his thinnest--he lost over fifty pounds when he was cast as Perry and then slowly gained it back during the show's nine season run.

The weight gain was deliberate, as he didn’t want to be thought of as “Hollywood Beautiful” instead of seen as the character. But the additional gain we saw in the last season or two was due to his back problems.

For me? He was this big giant teddy bear that I wanted to cuddle up with, despite that he was gay. And he was still beautiful to me.

• Love 2

Not only was Raymond Burr handsome, I agree, but when I re-watch the show I am just so impressed by his acting.  Maybe it takes a more mature cast to pull off the group performances that this show managed week to week.  No matter how convoluted the plot might be, no matter how bizarre the "Yes, I did it!" moment might be in the end, Burr always sold the scene, something perhaps later actors in lawyer roles might sometimes envy.  His scenes with Barbara Hale in particular, with their chemistry, and the wonderful appearances by Ray Collins as Lt. Tragg - this is what I always look forward to, in addition to the show's great use of background music (even if it was sometimes shared with movies and other shows - there is one particular tune that I swear I've also heard in the background of Star Trek, though I can't place it).

• Love 4

My favorite Lt. Tragg moment was in The Case of the Jaded Joker:

Tragg: "Well, I'm glad this one's over; I'm beat."
Della (laughing): "Dig the hipster."
Tragg: "Don't bug me, granny. I'm one of the cool ones. I don't dig slick chicks trying to goof me up . . . daddy-o."

• Love 2
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My favorite Lt. Tragg moment was in The Case of the Jaded Joker:

Tragg: "Well, I'm glad this one's over; I'm beat."
Della (laughing): "Dig the hipster."
Tragg: "Don't bug me, granny. I'm one of the cool ones. I don't dig slick chicks trying to goof me up . . . daddy-o."

I love that one too, but I think my favorite Tragg moment is in The Case of the Married Moonlighter, when he discovers greasy-spoon owner Jesse White (aka the lonely Maytag Repairman) in hiding, and when asked "How did you find me?" Tragg replies, "Do I ask you how you run your restaurant?"

• LOL 1
On 9/18/2019 at 11:21 PM, roseha said:

Not only was Raymond Burr handsome, I agree, but when I re-watch the show I am just so impressed by his acting.  Maybe it takes a more mature cast to pull off the group performances that this show managed week to week.  No matter how convoluted the plot might be, no matter how bizarre the "Yes, I did it!" moment might be in the end, Burr always sold the scene, something perhaps later actors in lawyer roles might sometimes envy.  His scenes with Barbara Hale in particular, with their chemistry, and the wonderful appearances by Ray Collins as Lt. Tragg - this is what I always look forward to, in addition to the show's great use of background music (even if it was sometimes shared with movies and other shows - there is one particular tune that I swear I've also heard in the background of Star Trek, though I can't place it).

Oh all of this! SO MUCH all of this! I think I posed this question/comment back when this was a full forum, so I don't remember where I said it, but I've always wondered if Burr added in his own physical tics, if you will, when questioning witnesses on the stand. Or if it was unconscious? Like when he would do that thing with this hands==not rub them exactly, but...and I'm blanking on the word--you all know what I'm talking about. He would do it when going over the case in his office with Paul and Della, too. It just made him more...real, I guess.

• Love 3
On 2/1/2017 at 10:02 PM, roseha said:

I know she was 94 and lived a long and apparently happy life, but I am so sad that Barbara Hale is gone.  It was nice being able to watch the original Perrys and remember that she was still alive.  She always seemed like such a lovely and intelligent person and she brought those qualities to her role of course.

MeTV put up a remembrance still for her, but I wish they would dig around and find some episodes where she is featured more prominently.  I did recently see The Case of the Glamorous Ghost where Della receives a hefty finder's reward for finding rare jewels being smuggled in a jar of makeup (or was it cold cream - does anyone use that expression anymore?) and promises to take Perry and Paul out to dinner at the end.

The one episode I thought where Perry Mason showed his unspoken love for Della Street was in the "Case of the Weary Watchdog". When they are eating at a restaurant, Della asks Perry for $25,000 without a reason why and immediately. Perry pulls out a check, makes it out to Della and then says "Without questions and without thanks", or something like that.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, dttruman said:

The one episode I thought where Perry Mason showed his unspoken love for Della Street was in the "Case of the Weary Watchdog". When they are eating at a restaurant, Della asks Perry for $25,000 without a reason why and immediately. Perry pulls out a check, makes it out to Della and then says "Without questions and without thanks", or something like that.

I remember seeing that episode, but there's one other episode that contained a moment, and I don't know what episode it was. And I only saw a portion it. All I remember is a visual of Perry and Della standing next to each other at the railing on a cruise ship, and their dialogue was not related to a case, and it seemed very much like they had taken this cruise together, just the two of them. Or did I dream this?

I have always figured it must have been an early episode, when their "roles" vis a vis each other had not yet become so clearly defined.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I remember seeing that episode, but there's one other episode that contained a moment, and I don't know what episode it was. And I only saw a portion it. All I remember is a visual of Perry and Della standing next to each other at the railing on a cruise ship, and their dialogue was not related to a case, and it seemed very much like they had taken this cruise together, just the two of them. Or did I dream this?

I have always figured it must have been an early episode, when their "roles" vis a vis each other had not yet become so clearly defined.

I can't remember the dialogue, but didn't a body fall right in front of them over the side.?

• Love 2