Type keyword(s) to search

Season 35 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, opus said:

but I'd skip any TS contests.

Suggestion. If you do a TS contest, maybe you could practice it during the 6 weeks of reruns and try to figure out a working system and fix any "bugs" that might pop up.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Trey said:

if I don't write them down, I forget about them instantly.

That's my problem as well, I forget most everything instantly these days. Plus I never remember the category, even when playing the game. There is a site where the categories/clues are displayed though, right? Maybe if we did a TS Tuesday or something like that. I'll mull around on it, and suggestions welcome.

Then there are those days where there are no TSs. That would make for an easy-scoring game that I could win!

I'll poke around with this idea during today's game, on here in 15.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't even need prizes.

10 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

No prizes are necessary. 

8 hours ago, Trey said:

No prizes necessary.  

Well, I'm going to need something to go with my diamond encrusted dunce cap and FJ loser sash from this year.

<picturing a bedazzled scepter>

Yay, prizes!

10 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

The only prize that would barf-ola would be posters of James

6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Oh, nuts. Now I have to trash can all this season's prizes and start over. Dang.

Fair warning, saber. If a picture of James shows up in my mailbox, I will report you to the authorities for postal crimes. ;-)

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was thinking a fun contest would be a TS contest, but that would take some skill to keep track of daily. Like if there were five TSs today and you got all five answered, that would be five points for today. If the TS was a DD, that's either double points (ha) or an asterisk.

I vote for continuing the Final Jeopardy contest.  I miss the show pretty often (this summer I'm in a play and our rehearsals are four nights a week during Jeopardy!). I can easily find the FJ clue, widely separated from the correct response, on the the jeopardyfan.com website. But finding TSs, separated from their correct response, would be a lot trickier.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I vote for continuing the Final Jeopardy contest.  I miss the show pretty often (this summer I'm in a play and our rehearsals are four nights a week during Jeopardy!). I can easily find the FJ clue, widely separated from the correct response, on the the jeopardyfan.com website. But finding TSs, separated from their correct response, would be a lot trickier. 

Yeah, I have a feeling it might take watching the show twice.  If we just keep with the FJ contest, that's more than enough.   And this has been lots of fun!  

• Love 3

I practiced with the TS's in yesterday's show. The first one came too quickly and I didn't catch the clue or the answer. Then I decided to just write down the answers, forget about recording the clues. Here they are, in no special order:

1. center  2. Jennifer Connelly  3. catacombs  4. Idaho  5. North Dakota  6. Lawrence of Arabia  7. Emperor Hirohito  8. DD: The Auroras

Since many post TSs answered in the Season thread, this could be a contest. I'd be for doing it just on TS Tuesday and/or TS Thursday only though.

I laughed that Kevin's interview was about his favorite national park, Grand Teton, and he missed the TS of Idaho, the clue was about the state that had Teton County to its east. Such a no brainer.

I'll practice again with today's show.

• Love 3

WEEK 44 — ONE asterisk
213. North American Cities. In the year 2017 this city celebrated its 375th birthday and the 50th anniversary of an event that made it an international tourist destination.
* 214. Ancient Times. In 1955 King Paul of Greece unveiled a statue of this hero near the cliffs where he died in the 5th century B.C.  *
215. Bestselling Novels. For help with research, the author of this 2003 novel acknowledged the Louvre, Catholic World News & “five members of Opus Dei.”
216. Women on TV. This character featured in a 1992 Time Magazine cover story on “Hollywood & Politics” returned to television in 2018.
217. Word Origins. 19th c. boots made with India rubber made one quieter, leading to this slang term for one whose job involves surveillance.

(edited)

Well, I am surely living in Bizarro World since, so far, my score is the best of everyone's, and that's never happened before. My score: 4 *. I've only scored a 4 twice in 43 weeks. I missed Montreal since I still don't know why it's famous for anything, except speaking French. I guessed Boston. Tea party and all.

The Greece question was a no-brainer easy-peasy for me. I saw "300" multiple times in the theater, bought the DVD and even have a gigantic bus poster of King Leonidas aka Gerard Butler that a friend sent me from Lisbon. The movie was quite the sensation at the time, as was Butler, who was asked to show his abs on every talk show he was on to promote the film. Yeah, that was all him. I even bought the Men's Health with him on the cover.

Okay, so I used to be a stalker.

Wednesday and Friday were also easy, being a movie fan, and especially old BW movies with detectives who talked using terms from that era. And Murphy Brown was rerun on one of my antenna stations recently. It's still as relevant and funny today as it was during the Dan Quayle days.

11 hours ago, SHD said:

The writers must be on a summer break and had their kids write the FJ questions.

Don't harsh my mellow!

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Last night I listened to Old Time Radio. The episode was Richard Diamond, Private Detective, from 1945; Diamond played by Dick Powell. When the show opened, Diamond explained he was a private eye, a gumshoe.

I love old radio.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Last night I listened to Old Time Radio. The episode was Richard Diamond, Private Detective, from 1945; Diamond played by Dick Powell. When the show opened, Diamond explained he was a private eye, a gumshoe.

I love old radio.

As a kid, I used to listen to Z Minus 10 (science fiction) on AFN (Armed Forces Network). When I was a military brat, we didn't have American TV anywhere, and this sufficed. I enjoyed it because I could do things while I listened.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I guess I need to study my ancient Greek history (or watch sword and sandals movies!)

There are a few good reasons to watch "300" besides that Jeopardy asterisk. I mean, it's history folks. History. I still can't believe I'm the only one to get 4* last week, it's like a dream where aliens beam me up and make me smart for a couple of hours.

leonidas.jpg.d0a08aa801019fb55dec12764da22aa5.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
49 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

1/5 for this week.  Ugh.

Same here. It's like the space aliens that beamed me up last week and made me so smart beamed me up this week and extracted my remaining brain cells. I didn't even have guesses for the four I missed.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

WEEK 45 — NO asterisk
218. Women Authors. An award for works of horror, dark fantasy & psychological suspense honors this author who came to fame with a 1948 short story.
219. European Country Names. Resolving a decades-long dispute with its neighbor to the south, in 2019 this 28-year-old republic added “North” to its name.
220. 17th Century Names. In the 1670s English author Charles Cotton built a fishing cabin on the banks of the River Dove to honor this friend & author.
221. Notorious. The death penalty has been carried out only once under Israeli law—in 1962, for this man.
222. States’ Governors. It’s the only state to have had 4 female governors, 3 of whom served consecutively between 1997 & 2015.