Type keyword(s) to search

Season 35 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

The Art Institute is impossible to see all in one day, but it has something for every interest. My friend loves the miniatures so we spent much time there during last visit. It's also easy to get crazy lost, so thank goodness for the docents who are used to telling people how to get where.

My friend and I spent a lot of time looking at the miniatures, too. As for getting lost... YES! It was very confusing. When we sat in the cafe for some refreshments, we studied the map and realized it was color-coded. Doh! Things started to make more sense. I think there should be instructions for the map.

I hope you took a souvenir photo outside with the lions. It's a traditional must.

NO! 😪

• LOL 1
17 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Have company and haven't seen the last show - but I looked up FJ on J! Archive because I didn't want to wait too long to post (company will be here for a while).

Tell company that watching Jeopardy is on the schedule. As long as they don't shout out the FJ answer. You can serve peanut-butter sandwiches just before the clue is revealed.

26 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I think there should be instructions for the map.

Agree. Because the map never made sense to me. Visitors should be able to rent a GPS that shows them as a You Are Here dot as they make their way around the building. You know, like on Leverage, when Hardison is telling Parker which way to go.

(edited)
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I hope you took a souvenir photo outside with the lions. It's a traditional must.

SDC15005.JPG4 or 5 years ago. In December, obviously!

Edited by illdoc
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, illdoc said:

4 or 5 years ago. In December, obviously!

Great photo! Now I want to see your 2016 photo of the lions wearing Cubs hats.

Edited by saber5055

I'm missing a report for last week, Week 42, from @helpmerhonda. Be sure to add your weekly total to stay in the contest. I've already purchased all the prizes and don't want to keep any for myself! Week 43 clues will be posted later today or tomorrow.

@Sharpie66 is still missing, which is of great concern.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, illdoc said:

3 weeks to go, right?

I don't have a clue. But then, I'm not the smartest one in this thread!

I will be sorry for the contest to end. After the mod messaged me and told me to STFU and basically kicked me out of the Season 35 thread, this contest is my only connection to Jeopardy and my poster "friends." (Insert sad-face emoji) My posts from last week didn't get removed so I am now becoming bold enough to start giving LIKES again to scores as I record them. The mod did force me to consider leaving the contest, but then what would I do with all those prizes I bought. (Don't get excited, they are not THAT great. But a little great is better than no great, no?)

• Love 7

WEEK 43 — TWO asterisk
* 209. On The Map. 9-letter name for an area of 10 million square miles–4/5 the size of Africa–but only about 120,000 square miles of it is dry land.   *
210. Word Origins. Meaning cobbled together, it once referred to a temporary fix replacing a broken mast on a ship.
* 211. Mythology. In Homer there’s only one of these, from the Greek for “terrible”; later they became 3 scary sisters.  *
212. On Broadway. This play opens in Vienna in 1823, 32 years after the death of its title character.
212. 16th Century Names. Hoping to stop Dominican friar Johannes Tetzel from preaching for indulgences, in 1517 he wrote a series of debate topics.

• Love 1

Ya'll have been doing well on a tough week. Even you, Opus and SHD. I've had worse weeks than a one. I've been watching reruns of The Good Wife so had been thinking about jury-rigged. I always thought it had something to do with the legal system, so imagine my surprise when the only term I could come up with was correct. Who knew. (Well, everyone except me.)

I read the Broadway clue as "This play opened in Vienna in 1823 ..." which confused me since I didn't know Broadway plays were put on in Vienna, plus I didn't know what plays would be running in 1823. Alexander Hamilton might have died 32 years before 1823, but no way was Lin Manuel alive then so Hamilton wasn't written much let played in Vienna in 1823.

I know. Duh.

I've never heard of Johannes Tetzel or the indulgences, but Martin Luther was the only name that floated past me so I grabbed it out of the air. Sometimes even the biggest dolt catches a crumb now and then. As for Gorgons and Polynesia ... no way never.

• Love 5

Week 43 - 3/5

Season to date - 113/213 12*

I attended a lecture series in a local church in the fall that was about the Reformation, so Martin Luther was a big part of it.  Indulgences were mentioned, so while I would have gotten to Luther eventually, it helped me get there more quickly.

• Love 2
On 6/8/2019 at 12:59 PM, zoey1996 said:

If I counted correctly, there are 7 more weeks of regular play; last episode for the season is on July 26, total of 46 weeks.

18 hours ago, illdoc said:

Week 43:  4/5  2 *     Overall: 134/213   (15 *)    3 weeks to go, right?

So yep, three more weeks.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Then is there a ToC, or reruns? Asking for a friend.

Summer break lately has been 6 weeks of 3 tournament reruns. I'm guessing the All Star tournament will be one this year? (Just a guess. Haven't seen a schedule)

• Love 1

Week 43: 1 for 5.

On 7/5/2019 at 3:22 PM, saber5055 said:

I've already purchased all the prizes.....

I'm hoping for a diamond encrusted dunce cap and FJ loser sash.

A girl can dream! ;-)

• LOL 7
On 7/5/2019 at 2:22 PM, saber5055 said:

I'm missing a report for last week, Week 42, from @helpmerhonda. Be sure to add your weekly total to stay in the contest. I've already purchased all the prizes and don't want to keep any for myself! Week 43 clues will be posted later today or tomorrow.

@Sharpie66 is still missing, which is of great concern.

So sorry. Been out of the country since 6/28. Will get caught up ASAP.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

So sorry. Been out of the country since 6/28. Will get caught up ASAP.

Thanks for the update. I knew you had been on vacation; so cool that you still are! Enjoy every day. And I'll quit bugging you. For a while, anyway!

21 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

, when is the end of the current season? I've lost track.

I understand it is in three weeks, so July 26 should be the last day of Season 35. Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong. Contest winners will be determined and prizes mailed after everyone posts their final week's scores. I will be doing a drawing for the random prizes, pulling numbers from a bowl. All contestants have been assigned a number so I won't know those winners until I match number to name.

I will be sad when the contest ends.

• Love 3

I've been on vacation for a week, so I stopped at saber's helpful weekly post to catch up on the FJs.  I guessed Greenland (9 letters, if you expand "dry land" to mean "not covered in ice" it makes some sense).  I also said Medusa, which could be partial credit.  2/5 (or 2.33/5 if you're feeling really generous).  No asterisks. 

• Love 1
On 7/7/2019 at 11:22 AM, saber5055 said:

I will be sad when the contest ends

Prizes or no prizes, I'm planning on keeping my part of the contest (# of FJ correct & *s) going during Season 36, if only on paper!!!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, illdoc said:

Prizes or no prizes, I'm planning on keeping my part of the contest (# of FJ correct & *s) going during Season 36, if only on paper!!!

If everyone wants to continue the FJ contest for Season 36, I'm in to host it again. Unless ya'll vote me off the island because my prizes are barf-ola. It's been fun for me.

12 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

After a week in Malta,

Malta. Whatever color "jealous" is, that's my color. You are so lucky, I hope you had a grand time.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

If everyone wants to continue the FJ contest for Season 36, I'm in to host it again.

Please, please, please continue the contest! It's been a lot of fun. No prizes are necessary. Bragging rights are all most Jeopardy fans want anyway.  Thank you, @saber5055, for starting and running the contest.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Please, please, please continue the contest! It's been a lot of fun. No prizes are necessary. Bragging rights are all most Jeopardy fans want anyway.  Thank you, @saber5055, for starting and running the contest.

Agree! It's been so much fun, even though I'm getting barely half of FJ right!  I'm in for next season!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

If everyone wants to continue the FJ contest for Season 36, I'm in to host it again. Unless ya'll vote me off the island because my prizes are barf-ola. It's been fun for me.

The only prize that would barf-ola would be posters of James 🙂  Its been fun thing to do! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

The only prize that would barf-ola would be posters of James 🙂  Its been fun thing to do!  

Oh, nuts. Now I have to trash can all this season's prizes and start over. Dang.

I was thinking a fun contest would be a TS contest, but that would take some skill to keep track of daily. Like if there were five TSs today and you got all five answered, that would be five points for today. If the TS was a DD, that's either double points (ha) or an asterisk.

I thought of that since I seem to do better with TS answers than FJ ones.

Okay, let's plan on a Season 36 FJ contest. Maybe some new people will want to get in on it next season. I'll even do prizes again. How about sets of coasters made from dog hair? Dog breed optional.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I was thinking a fun contest would be a TS contest, but that would take some skill to keep track of daily.

That sounds like a good idea! Heh, unless after a week, we all get confused.  Ok, I get confused.  

• LOL 3

Yeah, that might be more work and confusion than it's worth.  I usually write down my ts's but not always and, if I don't write them down, I forget about them instantly.

But if you do it, I'm in.

• Love 1

It's much more challenging for me to keep track of TS than it is to keep track of FJ (sometimes I only have time to watch FJ -- like when I'm catching up on a week or two after having been away), but I'll do my best.

• Love 1