Type keyword(s) to search

Season 35 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I'm just missing scores or @opus and @Toothbrush for this week. Don't quit now, we are so close to the end!

I was 1/5

(I posted it when I posted the Aquaman comic panel, but the pic must have overshadowed the numbers)

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, opus said:

I was 1/5

(I posted it when I posted the Aquaman comic panel, but the pic must have overshadowed the numbers)

Oh, thanks. I saw the 1/5 but thought it meant the Aquaman graphic was the first of five and I was waiting for the other four panels. Sometimes I forget what thread I'm in.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm just missing scores or @opus and @Toothbrush for this week. Don't quit now, we are so close to the end!

Sorry- 3/5.

I missed Crimea & had to count myself as incorrect for Friday since my mom & dad paused the TV to discuss during the think music. I do think I would have gotten it correct even without the group discussion & extra time, but oh well. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SHD said:

My first perfect week - 0/5! I think James is not only making me FEEL stupider, but he is somehow actually MAKING me stupider.

If it makes you feel better, I hit the 9 instead of the 0 when putting in your score for the week. You were rocking this week for a while there.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Week 33: 4 of 5.  I guessed polonium -- I saw something recently about Marie Curie, and how she named the first two radioactive elements - one for her homeland of Poland and radium for radioactivity. The atomic number seemed way too low, but I never heard of europium!

• Love 1

WEEK 33 — NO asterisk
159. 19th Century Brits. In a poem Lord Byron, a lover of Greece, calls this diplomat & fellow lord a “plunderer.”
160. American History. On May 1, 1869 these 2 men met at the White House, 4 years & 3 weeks after a more historic meeting between them.
161. Geographic Nicknames. This term for an area of the Atlantic originated in 1964 in Argosy, a pulp magazine.
162. The Elements. Oddly, mining of this rare earth element with a geographic name, atomic no. 63, is mostly in Asia & with some in South America & Australia.
163. 19th Century Novels. The title character of this 1841 novel says he got his name because he kills bucks & does, but not people.

49 minutes ago, Driad said:

Has it been a few weeks since we had an asterisk?

I was looking at just that earlier today. It's been four weeks since an asterisk. The last one was Week 20, question 143, the Pinocchio FJ. I will have to count back to figure which was James' first game. It seems so long ago! I'd like to rewatch that episode. (Congrats on your five, BTW.)

31 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t think James has missed a FJ. I did this week 3/5!

It's nice to know you are human! Some weeks I wonder ...

• Love 1

I was flying high with 4/5 two weeks in a row so I came down to earth this week with a lousy 1/5, that one being Bermuda Triangle. I knew everything about last night's FJ except the right answer.

• LOL 1

I am traumatized today by getting no J! on Friday, due to the NFL draft. I try my best to ignore the NFL's existence, so highly resent when it rudely intrudes in my life this way. Couldn't find the episode on Youtube, but at least FJ was there, so I can still keep up to date here! A long way of saying - 3/5 this week! A bit of an improvement. 

• Love 3

Just to clarify if anyone has questions, the contest will continue non-stop through the Teacher's Tournament that starts Monday. If there is a FJ, we'll play it. Good luck everyone (especially @teebax).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Where you come up with those things is beyond me @Driad. But never quit.

Thank you, Saber.  I have an excellent memory for things that do not relate to real life, Jeopardy clues, etc.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Week 34: three of five.  Crowdfunding? I don't remember it existing back that far. However, according to Wikipedia's crowdfunding entry:

The first company to engage in this business model was the U.S. website ArtistShare (2001). As the model matured, more crowdfunding sites started to appear on the web such as Kiva (2005), IndieGoGo (2008), Kickstarter (2009), GoFundMe (2010), Microventures (2010), and YouCaring (2011).

• Love 1

I never would have gotten FJ today. I know GoFundMe and Kickstarter, but did not know the term "Crowdfunding." I also was trying to think of SM influencers, like Lori Loughlin's daughter, so considered Instagram after discounting YouTube.

In other words: No clue.

• Love 1

WEEK 34 — NO asterisk
164. Organizations. The oldest of these business booster groups, formed in Marseille in 1599, uses “de” instead of “of” in the name.
165. European Cities. Founded, according to tradition, in 11 B.C., this former capital lies about halfway between Paris & Berlin.
166. The King James Bible. Of the 4 riders mentioned in Revelation 6, only this one is explicitly named.
167. American Plays. A character in this 1944 play is said to be like a piece in her own collection, “too exquisitely fragile to move from the shelf.”
168. Words of the 2000s. In 2008, TIME Magazine described this new practice as “one part social networking and one part capital accumulation.”

(edited)

3/5.  Mrs. GenX blurted out the named horseman of the apocalypse immediately, so I have no idea if i would have come up it.  I'm going to assume I would have guessed something stupid like Silver or Ghost or Ed.  So, I'll consider that a miss, leaving me at 3.

Edited by GenerationX
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3