Type keyword(s) to search

Season 35 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

35 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I'm having flashbacks to having one of those teachers that liked to pass back tests according to percentage order, so the whole class knew how everyone did.

Don't worry, Saber's scores will be in there too. You'll be vindicated! And look smart by comparison.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I had fun being The Ref (great Denis Leary film, BTW)

I love that movie. You make me want to rewatch it right now.

I'd like to nominate me to be scorekeeper for Season 36 FJ Contest. All who vote for me, say EYE.

eyes.png

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Four players left to post, then *drum roll* the winners.

I was thinking it would be fun to do a Summer Everyone Wins contest to see how many of us improve our scores by remembering the answers from shows we've already seen. I'm pretty sure if I had no clue the first time, I'll have the same no clue the second time. But my totals might go up a tad on the Duh No Brainer clues.

I own the Hotel California album and even saw the Eagles in concert, but had no idea Rolling Stone said that about it. I answered Pink Floyd's The Wall since that was the only album besides Beatles albums I could come up with.

And shout out to my favorite illustrator, Maurice Sendak. I talked about him when I was in the Season 35 thread back when. I got that answer instantly. Missed the episode where he was FJ, so assume the "Carl" answers were for Good Dog Carl. Or not.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'd like to nominate me to be scorekeeper for Season 36 FJ Contest. All who vote for me, say EYE. I mean, aye.

4 more years! 4 more years!

• LOL 7

I'm looking forward to jumping in for the Season 36 contest. My scores tend to be somewhere between 1-2 each week, so don't anyone start worrying about competition from me, haha. 

Do we get extra points for asterisks?

1 minute ago, Abstract said:

Do we get extra points for asterisks?

This season there are prizes for high-score asterisk, and maybe second-high asterisk. Some players elected not to compete for asterisks so the emphasis isn't on them. It will probably be the same next season. Will be fun to add you to the Season 36 Contest! Everyone is welcome; I hope even more join.

• Love 2
On 7/27/2019 at 5:48 PM, JeezumCrow said:

i got way too far behind a few months ago and colluding keep up, but I’d love another chance to play next season!

No way I could keep up but I'm enjoying following along.  I just have to say you must have gotten the latest update for your autocorrect.  (I'm assuming that was supposed to be couldn't keep up?)

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

This season there are prizes for high-score asterisk, and maybe second-high asterisk. Some players elected not to compete for asterisks so the emphasis isn't on them. It will probably be the same next season. Will be fun to add you to the Season 36 Contest! Everyone is welcome; I hope even more join.

Good to know! I will admit that I only figured out last week what the asterisks meant. 

6 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

No way I could keep up but I'm enjoying following along.  I just have to say you must have gotten the latest update for your autocorrect.  (I'm assuming that was supposed to be couldn't keep up?)

Haha you are correct! And since it took me so long to catch it, I think that warrants an asterisk for you, too!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was thinking it would be fun to do a Summer Everyone Wins contest to see how many of us improve our scores by remembering the answers from shows we've already seen. I'm pretty sure if I had no clue the first time, I'll have the same no clue the second time. But my totals might go up a tad on the Duh No Brainer clues.

I'm actually crap at remembering FJ answers so that might be fun to do. 

• Love 1

Just missing scores for @Trey and @lb60, then winners can be announced. I will be gone tomorrow (Union Pacific's Big Boy 4014, the largest steam locomotive in the world, is going by just a few miles from my house, on its way from Chicago to Iowa, and I'm all about going to see/photo it. Weighs 1.3 million pounds, 135 feet long, 17 feet high. Hey, it could be a subject on Jeopardy some day. You're welcome.) so it might be Wednesday before our totals are posted and winners get to claim their prizes.

I'm still lamenting the lost of @Sharpie66 from the contest players. We did end with 20 players, not counting me, Lucky No. 21.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Trey said:

My score for last week was 3/5.  I thought you had it already.

Gah, you did post it and I HEARTED your post but obviously the brain cells that were suppose to tell me to actually, you know, RECORD it skipped town. But you are in now. Thanks for reposting and not laughing at me. Out loud anyway.

@lb60 isn't going to get that golden sceptre without posting a final score!

6 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I'm actually crap at remembering FJ answers so that might be fun to do. 

I looked at today's FJ and missed it the same as I missed it the first time. Yeay Teen Tournament for easy answers. Not.

• Love 3

Final Scores and Winners: Season 35 Final Jeopardy Contest

**Note some people did not play asterisks.**

Biakbiak — 193-27*  HIGH SCORE • HIGH ASTERISK
Browncoat — 123-14*
Clanstarling — 124-17*
Driad — 165-19*  SECOND HIGH ASTERISK
DXD526 — 86-5*  SECOND CONSOLATION PRIZE

Fex — 149-14*
GenerationX — 130-14*  POTLUCK PRIZE
GoodQueenJane — 126-13*  POTLUCK PRIZE

GrannySmith —  107-5*
Helpmerhonda — 121-14*  POTLUCK PRIZE
Ib60 — 107-12*
Illdoc — 142-16*
j5cochran — 157-17*
M.Darcy — 149-15*
Opus — 96
Peeayebee — 131-10*
SHD — 82  FIRST CONSOLATION PRIZE
Toothbrush — 168-14*  SECOND HIGH SCORE

Trey — 128
Zoey1996 — 121-14*

Saber — 92-10*

I will PM the winners in this order: Biakbiak, Toothbrush, Driad, SHD, DXD526, GenerationX, GoodQueenJane and Helpmerhonda to choose their prize. For the Potluck Prizes, I put numbers in a cottage cheese tub -- minus the cheese -- and shook them up, then pulled out the numbers, eyes closed. I have six prizes, but was so bummed that more players couldn't get one that I added two more as Potluck winners. Once the six prizes are claimed, I'll purchase two more for the last two potluck winners. I really wanted to send prizes to everyone. And I didn't cheat pulling numbers. (Although it did cross my mind lb60. Heh.)

• Love 7
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

1198279818_saberdunce.jpg.ffd9d11e76b48cd12ee4963bd65b9fee.jpg

Adorbs!!

47 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

And I didn't cheat pulling numbers. (Although it did cross my mind lb60. Heh.)

It's the thought that counts?????  ;-)

• LOL 1

I would like to thank my couch for supporting me through most of this competition, lack of pressure for making my brain not freeze, and the Jeopardy writers for limiting the Bible and English Royal history Questions in Final Jeopardy! 

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

p.s. All players are getting a personalized 11x8.5 full-color Certificate of Achievement to frame and hang on your Award Wall. I'll PM them to everyone over the next day or so.

You get a certificate, you get a certificate ... and YOU get a certificate!

• Love 9
(edited)

Hah! I saw my name 3rd on the list and went "BRONZE!" not even noticing the bolding, or realizing it was alphabetical. Such a sharp brain is the reason I'm nowhere near the top. LOL.

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

1198279818_saberdunce.jpg.ffd9d11e76b48cd12ee4963bd65b9fee.jpg

Congrats to all you smarty pants(es?). This was loads of fun. And thank you @saber5055 from coming up with the idea and running with it. Looking forward to participating next season (and hopefully I'll sharpen that brain just a touch - maybe I need to go to the kids section of the library to get some help 😉 )

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
(edited)

Long day today, chasing Union Pacific's Big Boy 4014 steam locomotive through Illinois and Iowa. Traffic congestion on the rural two lanes and single-lane dirt roads was worse than Chicago during rush hour. The National Guard was called out in Rochelle, Illinois to combat the gigantic crowds. Still, it was all worth it.

Anyway, @biakbiak, your prize is on its way. Still waiting for @Toothbrush to choose the second-place prize, then we'll work down the list of prize winners.

I'm so glad everyone had fun. So did I. Everyone's kind words have dimmed the memory of my 0 and 1 weeks. If only my weak brain cells could forget them totally ...

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

That was cool, thank you @saber5055!!

Although there were 230 shows during the season, I think there were only 228 FJs due to the wacky All-Stars tournament with the excessive yakking on Days 1 and 3.  At 130 out of 228, I'm barely in F+ territory.  A couple more baseball and popular music FJs, and I would've been solidly in F+ territory.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
14 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

Although there were 230 shows during the season, I think there were only 228 FJs due to the wacky All-Stars tournament with the excessive yakking on Days 1 and 3.

There were 217 FJ clues. Which, in my book, puts you in a strong B- slot. So, congratulations!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
42 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

Although there were 230 shows during the season, I think there were only 228 FJs due to the wacky All-Stars tournament with the excessive yakking on Days 1 and 3.

There were 217 FJ clues. Which, in my book, puts you in a strong B- slot. So, congratulations!

Whew! I was starting to feel really sad about my performance. Thanks for clarifying. I might be in a "C" spot (not going to do the math), but I'm okay with that.

• Love 1

I was starting to feel kind of bummed to be second from the bottom.  Then I realized that the list was in alphabetical order. 🤭

What a great season!  One of our own in the Teacher Tournament, and Mr. Atoz, who joined us after he was a contestant!  Just lots of laughs, and a few tears.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

What a great season!  One of our own in the Teacher Tournament, and Mr. Atoz, who joined us after he was a contestant!

And not to be forgotten, @j5cochran, who did a stellar job on the show as well as being a contest participant! One of my contest highlights was, one week, getting a better score than hers. Hey, rocking one week out of 46 isn't that bad, is it?

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I was starting to feel kind of bummed to be second from the bottom.  Then I realized that the list was in alphabetical order. 🤭

Opposites! I was thrilled to be third until I had the same realization.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

As high scorer in the Season 35 Contest, we* expect @biakbiak to take the Jeopardy test next time it is offered and then let us know when he/she will appear on the show so we can set our DVRs. It's only fitting, right?

*That's the Kingly We.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
On 8/6/2019 at 11:21 AM, saber5055 said:

As high scorer in the Season 35 Contest, we* expect @biakbiak to take the Jeopardy test next time it is offered and then let us know when he/she will appear on the show so we can set our DVRs. It's only fitting, right?

*That's the Kingly We.

Since being on Jeopardy is a literally nightmare for me that will never happen.

• Love 1

Saber, thank you for my prize, Secret Lives of U.S. Presidents. It just arrived. I look forward to reading it so that next season, when FJ questions are about POTUSes, I can ... well, I can be extra embarrassed if I miss them.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6