Type keyword(s) to search

Season 35 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

ASTERISK BONUS: If you've gotten a FJ that all three contestants did not, you get an asterisk added to your week's total. If you can't remember past weeks, check who answered correctly for that day at www.thejeopardyfan.com.

There will be a prize for most asterisks. So far I am ahead. Don't force me to win my own prize.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

ASTERISK BONUS: If you've gotten a FJ that all three contestants did not, you get an asterisk added to your week's total. If you can't remember past weeks, check who answered correctly for that day at www.thejeopardyfan.com.

I couldn't find who answered FJ correctly on that site.  Help, please?

2/5 week 3, 7/15 overall.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

-I couldn't find who answered FJ correctly on that site.  Help, please

If you scroll down towards the bottom, they will show each person's score going into FJ, and whether or not they got it correct. For example: Mr. X  $10,000 - 1000 =9000 (what is Smith?) means that Mr.X had 10K going into FJ, bet 1000 and got it wrong (answering "what is smith?") If it said Mr. X $10,000 + 1000 =11000 it would mean he answered correctly (adding his bet of 1000 to his 10K going into FJ). Does that help?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

There will be a prize for most asterisks. So far I am ahead. Don't force me to win my own prize.

Eh, too much work for me for me to track that.  I’ll skip the Porsche  you’re giving out as that prize.

Edited by opus
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

If you scroll down towards the bottom, they will show each person's score going into FJ, and whether or not they got it correct. For example: Mr. X  $10,000 - 1000 =9000 (what is Smith?) means that Mr.X had 10K going into FJ, bet 1000 and got it wrong (answering "what is smith?") If it said Mr. X $10,000 + 1000 =11000 it would mean he answered correctly (adding his bet of 1000 to his 10K going into FJ). Does that help?

Yes it does!  It also works better on my PC than on my iphone or Kindle - too much scrolling down on the phone, and my Kindle is incredibly slow.  Anyway, thanks!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The only one I'm sure of is this week - so 5* for 5.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Buckeye, I am missing your scores for Weeks 1 and 2. Help!

Driad, I am missing your Weeks 1 and 2 also, although I do have your three-week total of 9 asterisk so you're good. Just not if we award weekly prizes. Help!

There are two prizes (so far) for fair to middling. No one loses in this game. (Well, some of you will.)

Sorry about the delay(Life & all that), I had 2 correct for both Week 1 & 2

• Love 1

Just a suggestion...if you are going to continue recapping the week's FJ questions, could you put TS (or an asterisk) next to the question so we know which ones were triple stumpers? Of course, we could just keep track of it ourselves when we watch the program. Nevermind.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Just a suggestion...if you are going to continue recapping the week's FJ questions, could you put TS (or an asterisk) next to the question so we know which ones were triple stumpers?

Yes, I already thought about doing that; excellent idea. I'll TS* those clues. If anyone can help back-asterisk the first three weeks so we can catch up?

ETA: This site is not letting me edit my posts containing the FJ clues so I can't add TS* to any of those. The edit "pencil" icon isn't there. I'll add the TS* going forward.

Edited by saber5055
1 hour ago, forumfish said:

I hope I caught them all. Sorry if the formatting looks odd on anyone's screen; I set up the list in InDesign and did a copy/paste.

Final Jeopardy Questions: WEEK 1
1. The Southern Hemisphere — To set a record for longest solo journey by kayak, 2,010 miles, Helen Skelton traveled through this nation for a month.
2. Design — Switching the syllables in the German word for building of a home gave this design & architecture school its name.
3. 18th Century Names — In 1789 this doctor proposed 6 articles on penal reform to the French Assembly, including one on capital punishment.
4. Before They Were President  — On Oct. 4, 1940, for the premiere of what’s been called his most famous movie role, Ronald Reagan was in this city. *
5. Sports Halls of Fame  — Posthumously, Axel Paulsen was among the first group of inductees into the World Hall of Fame for this in 1976.

Final Jeopardy Questions: WEEK 2
6. 20th Century Novels — “I’ve killed my brother” is said near the end of this 1952 book with a Biblical title & a plot echoing a Biblical story
7. Animal Characters — Items bought by this predator: iron bird seed, an iron carrot, earthquake pills & dehydrated boulders.
8. 18th Century Americans — In a famous 1775 speech, he said, “Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston!”
9. Folklore — In legend, he called all the animals together but only 12 came, including a rat & a dragon. *
10. Color Etymology  — This word for a gem & a shade of blue derives from the name of a Eurasian country from which gems came to W. Europe *

Final Jeopardy Questions: WEEK 3
11. British Royalty — In September 2017 Prince Charles became the longest-serving Prince of Wales, passing the man who became this king. *
12. 20th Century Plays — From its preface: “It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate…him.”
13. Authors — After this woman’s death, her daughter wrote, “As far as we in the family are concerned, the alphabet now ends at Y.”
14. U.S. Landmarks — In 1883 a Catholic diocese sold this to the state of Texas for $20,000.
15. Classic Films — In this ’70s Oscar-winning film, the title character’s 1st words are “Why did you go to the police? Why didn’t you come to me first?”

Oh, here's my stats: 1,3*,3 — 7/15

Thanks, Forumfish! This lets me slip into the contest a bit late.

My stats -- week 1 - 3, week 2 - 2, week 3 - 4*!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, forumfish said:

I hope I caught them all. Sorry if the formatting looks odd on anyone's screen; I set up the list in InDesign and did a copy/paste.

Final Jeopardy Questions: WEEK 1
1. The Southern Hemisphere — To set a record for longest solo journey by kayak, 2,010 miles, Helen Skelton traveled through this nation for a month.
2. Design — Switching the syllables in the German word for building of a home gave this design & architecture school its name.
3. 18th Century Names — In 1789 this doctor proposed 6 articles on penal reform to the French Assembly, including one on capital punishment.
4. Before They Were President  — On Oct. 4, 1940, for the premiere of what’s been called his most famous movie role, Ronald Reagan was in this city. *
5. Sports Halls of Fame  — Posthumously, Axel Paulsen was among the first group of inductees into the World Hall of Fame for this in 1976.

Final Jeopardy Questions: WEEK 2
6. 20th Century Novels — “I’ve killed my brother” is said near the end of this 1952 book with a Biblical title & a plot echoing a Biblical story
7. Animal Characters — Items bought by this predator: iron bird seed, an iron carrot, earthquake pills & dehydrated boulders.
8. 18th Century Americans — In a famous 1775 speech, he said, “Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston!”
9. Folklore — In legend, he called all the animals together but only 12 came, including a rat & a dragon. *
10. Color Etymology  — This word for a gem & a shade of blue derives from the name of a Eurasian country from which gems came to W. Europe *

Final Jeopardy Questions: WEEK 3
11. British Royalty — In September 2017 Prince Charles became the longest-serving Prince of Wales, passing the man who became this king. *
12. 20th Century Plays — From its preface: “It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate…him.”
13. Authors — After this woman’s death, her daughter wrote, “As far as we in the family are concerned, the alphabet now ends at Y.”
14. U.S. Landmarks — In 1883 a Catholic diocese sold this to the state of Texas for $20,000.
15. Classic Films — In this ’70s Oscar-winning film, the title character’s 1st words are “Why did you go to the police? Why didn’t you come to me first?”

Oh, here's my stats: 1,3*,3 — 7/15

Thanks, forumfish.

Turns out in week 2, I had two with asterisks** , which counting week 3 makes 3***

I haven't been keeping close track of my weekly totals, because I've put it into @saber5055's capable hands. (thank you btw)

• Love 1

Thanks @forumfish, you ROCK! I've updated everyone's asterisks and also updated my Questions/Clues master list (which I create in QuarkXPress, forumfish!). I'll put the asterisks in from now on, and will put the number of them in the week's headline.

@Clanstarling, your three-week total is 10, quite good, but not as good as your asterisk total; you are currently No. 1 in that prize-winning category! I am the second-place Asterisk Queen. Of course, I don't count but I can still brag.

Everyone else, update your asterisks (I need to put that word in a copy/paste) and your weekly totals if you haven't done so yet.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks @forumfish, you ROCK! I've updated everyone's asterisks and also updated my Questions/Clues master list (which I create in QuarkXPress, forumfish!). I'll put the asterisks in from now on, and will put the number of them in the week's headline.

@Clanstarling, your three-week total is 10, quite good, but not as good as your asterisk total; you are currently No. 1 in that prize-winning category! I am the second-place Asterisk Queen. Of course, I don't count but I can still brag.

Everyone else, update your asterisks (I need to put that word in a copy/paste) and your weekly totals if you haven't done so yet.

Cool! I'm so seldom in the No. 1 place for anything - I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Which won't be too long. :)

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Week 3: 4/5 (we didn't get Thursday's game due to SCOTUS coverage

In Chicago, we didn't get Thur or Fri games, so I went to thejeopardyfan, read the clue, gave my answer, then looked to see if it was right (there's a big gap between the question & the answer, so you don't accidentally see the answer). This did spare me from Alex' "Godfather" impersonation!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

This did spare me from Alex' "Godfather" impersonation!

I did the same, so I lost FJ that day. AT's "impression" would have given it to me, as it did all three players. I've even seen the movie, but who remembers first lines. I mean, besides "Call me Ishmael." Which isn't even (technically) the first line of the book.

Went 2/5 last week. So, an improvement! Am 0-1 so far this week, answered Jane Eyre for Monday's FJ. One of the contestants gave that answer also, which made me feel a little less dumb!

• Love 1

OK, I got Ann K., but now the streak is over.

Hyphenate what-the-huh??  Yeah, I thought they were going for a hyphenated name, and I knew it couldn't be Day-Lewis because even I know he wins for his acting!  I rarely pay much attention to awards shows and even more rarely remember the winners years later.  I did love "Argo" though; the clothes, hairstyles, glasses, and just the whole atmosphere of the times took me right back to being 21 again!

• Love 1

After last night's FJ, can we have a new scoring category please?  ie, for answers we got wrong because of moronic clue writers.  Perhaps the symbol could be the little dagger editors use for footnotes?  

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Brookside said:

After last night's FJ, can we have a new scoring category please?  ie, for answers we got wrong because of moronic clue writers.  Perhaps the symbol could be the little dagger editors use for footnotes?  

I seriously don’t get the issue. Hyphenate  used that way is extremely common and was even explained in the clue that though he is an actor he only won  for being a writer and producer and gave the dates to make it even easier.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

OK, I got Ann K., but now the streak is over.

It's nice to know you are human, @The Wild Sow. Sorry for your loss. (Heh heh. "Not really," said the person with score of 6.)

Your three asterisks have been added @biakbiak. You are now in the race for Asterisk Master.

51 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Then we'd need one for clues Trebek screws up and ruins by his affected reading. I'd like to use a little dagger for that.

Oh, you mean a FONT dagger. Never mind.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I seriously don’t get the issue. Hyphenate  used that way is extremely common and was even explained in the clue that though he is an actor he only won  for being a writer and producer and gave the dates to make it even easier.

It clearly caused a lot of confusion, though, even if you and some other folks weren't confused. If they'd even put an actual hyphen in the clue, like "this actor-writer has never won for acting, but..." blah blah, it would have maybe clicked in more people's brains that that's what they meant by "hyphenate" in this context.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

If they'd even put an actual hyphen in the clue, like "this actor-writer has never won for acting, but..." blah blah,

There wouldn't have been room; Affleck is an actor-writer-producer-director.

I had no idea until reading the forum that "hyphenate" used in this manner was so inside baseball.  I guess, being in the entertainment industry, the writers also thought it was a lot more well known than it actually is.  If they'd just used a generic "Oscar Winners" category, it seems more people would have come up with Affleck rather than trying to think of Oscar winners with hyphenated names.  Because, as someone who understood the term, I found the category extremely helpful -- during the commercial break between announcing the category and revealing the clue, I'd already gone through a mental list of Oscar-winning hyphenates, and Affleck was one of those who came to mind.  When the clue was revealed, those dates and categories made it immediately clear Affleck was the right one.  So, for me, the category turned something I'd have had to sit and think about into an instaget.  But for others, it sent them down the wrong path.

• Love 5