Type keyword(s) to search

Season 35 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Trey said:

I knew Ben Franklin was many things but I didn't know he wrote for a newspaper under a pseudonym.

You would have if you had seen National Treasure. Although I saw that movie and missed the question too. I mean, that was 15 years ago ...

11 hours ago, SHD said:

Stupid royalty question!

I did get that one correct, thank you very much PBS.

12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I wanted to be perfect for once.

You are perfect in my eyes.

14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm as smart as a teenager!

All of you are smarter than I am. I'm waiting for the Pre-Teen/Toddler Tourney. Although I have doubts about my ability in that, too.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

WEEK 41 — NO asterisk
199. New England. Neighborhoods in this city include Federal Street, Gallows Hill, & Witchcraft Heights.
200. Kings Queens & Presidents. 17 U.S. Presidents served all or part of their terms during the reign of this British monarch.
201. Ancient Literature. If you were using an alternate name, the title of this work could be translated as “Troy Story.”
202. 18th Century Americans. “Essays to Do Good” by Cotton Mather inspired Silence Dogood, the newspaper pseudonym of this man.
203. Compound Words. This 8-letter word can follow nuclear to refer to a dangerous accident, or mean a total loss of emotional control.

Trivia: Our last asterisk was question 174.

Didn't do as well as all of you, 3/5. Didn't know that factoid about BF. And there were only two possible answers for Tuesdays question, and I picked the wrong one, of course. 

4/5

Didn't stand a chance when I misheard/read/translated into brainwaves 1800s Americans instead of 18th century. Rookie mistake. Would I have gotten it right if I had the right category? I didn't know it, but maybe would have guessed it... we'll never know!

• Love 1

Well, I jinxed it by posting last week about no asterisks. It was a great 31 days, folks, almost a full six weeks. Now it's like a Simpson's episode, "We've gone THREE days without an accident." Or, in this case, asterisk.

I do want to say I caught the TS shout out a while back to @MrAtoz, Ball State/Muncie. I also caught two TS shout outs to me, my favorite artist Edward Hopper, and the TS reflected by the five cameras in my camera bag, Nikon.

Here is the painting Hopper did of me taking the train to Chicago for a day at the Art Institute:

compartment-c-edward-hopper.thumb.jpg.714106803d51a1b77908f6eef9ab2508.jpg

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

WEEK 42 — ONE asterisk
204. Colleges & Universities. Starting a university after his only son died in 1884, this man said, “The children of California shall be our children.”
 * 205. Other Nations’ Presidents. This nation’s 1st 8 presidents were all born in the U.S.; the 1st local-born Pres. came in 1884, 37 years after independence.  *
206. 19th Century Literary Characters. “Hard and sharp as flint…he iced his office in the dog-days; and didn’t thaw it one degree at Christmas.”
207. International Organizations. The first time this organization invoked Article 5 was September 12, 2001.
208. Places of Lore. The first mention of this locale is in Chretien de Troyes’ 12th century poem “Lancelot, the Knight of the Cart.”

I was impressed by all the teens in this tournament, it was a good tourney. Avi, the eventual winner, is a young man of the highest order. His parents (and teachers) should be proud, as should the parents and teachers of all of the contestants. Well done to all.

• Love 4

3/5. I heard that the show got some negative feedback for having a second Teen Tournament, and I can only guess that those complaining didn't actually watch, because it was an entertaining, well-played tournament. 

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

I heard that the show got some negative feedback for having a second Teen Tournament, and I can only guess that those complaining didn't actually watch, because it was an entertaining, well-played tournament. 

There is so much negativity everywhere, which is why I left the Season 35 thread. (That, and getting spanked by the mod.) I agree with your assessment of the tournament. And if the show can help some talented teens with the direction of their future, where's the bad in that.

22 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Week 42: 4 for 5.

Congratulations on your graduation to The Smartie Pants Table. Don't be too stuck up to not wave back at Saber, I'm the kid in the corner wearing the dunce cap.

• LOL 1

3/5

On 6/29/2019 at 9:01 AM, saber5055 said:

Here is the painting Hopper did of me taking the train to Chicago for a day at the Art Institute:

compartment-c-edward-hopper.thumb.jpg.714106803d51a1b77908f6eef9ab2508.jpg

I was just in Chicago this weekend! I went to the Art Institute on Friday.

• LOL 3
15 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I was just in Chicago this weekend! I went to the Art Institute on Friday. 

Huge parade in Chicago today. Did you say "Hi" to my Hoppers at the Art Institute? Nice you visited on the worst weather weekend of the year -- so far anyway.

On 6/29/2019 at 4:53 PM, saber5055 said:

Congratulations on your graduation to The Smartie Pants Table. Don't be too stuck up to not wave back at Saber, I'm the kid in the corner wearing the dunce cap.

<waves>

Tomorrow, I'm sure I'll be back to my losing ways. lol

• LOL 2
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Huge parade in Chicago today. Did you say "Hi" to my Hoppers at the Art Institute? Nice you visited on the worst weather weekend of the year -- so far anyway.

I got outta town Sunday morning before the storms. Whew! 

Loved the museum. Of course didn't get to see everything, but I did see your Hoppers.

6 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Would have been 5/5 if I stuck with my first choice of NATO over UN. 4 1/2/5?

You get one-half credit for NATO/UN only if I get one-half credit for my answer to clue 198: Chicken pox. The pox part was right. Irritated that I missed smallpox since I have old western reruns on during the day (Rifleman, Wagon Train, et. al.) and every few episodes there is a smallpox outbreak on one or the other. Sometimes multiple shows at once!

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Loved the museum. Of course didn't get to see everything, but I did see your Hoppers.

The Art Institute is impossible to see all in one day, but it has something for every interest. My friend loves the miniatures so we spent much time there during last visit. It's also easy to get crazy lost, so thank goodness for the docents who are used to telling people how to get where. I hope you took a souvenir photo outside with the lions. It's a traditional must.

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got outta town Sunday morning before the storms. Whew! 

The storm hit in the afternoon when the Pride Parade was only half-way done. People were bailing off of floats so as not to be killed by lightning. Yikes! Lucky you, you live to play Jeopardy! another day!