Type keyword(s) to search

Season 35 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

WEEK 35 — ONE asterisk
169. Poets. A poem by him includes, “It was grassy and wanted wear; / Though…the passing there / Had worn them really about the same.”
170.Teachers. As a teenager, this woman regained her sight thanks to 2 surgeries in 1881 & 1882.
* 171. Words from the Comics. Used to describe secrecy during WWII, this 2-word term had its psychological meaning popularized by Charles Schulz.  *
172. The Cold War. The Cold War became entrenched in the mid-1950s after the formation of these 2 rival military alliances.
173. U.S. States. This state entered the Union in 1820 after separating from another state that began with the same 2 letters.

2 minutes ago, Driad said:

Still have not figured out what a security blanket has to do with the Cold War.

Well, technically it was WWII but your question is still valid IMO.

• Love 1

2/5 with the asterisk.  Another less-than-average week.  I'd complain more about my performance, but one of Linus's wisest lines always make my want to stop feeling sorry for myself:  "Of all the Charlie Browns in this world, you're the Charlie Browniest."

• Love 2

Week 35 - 2/5

Season to date - 83/173, 10*

47 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

Actually, it was 2 1/2; got NATO on Thursday, but couldn't think of the other half. 

Yes, me as well.  Mr. Zoey came up with Maine, but I didn't.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, saber5055 said:
15 hours ago, Driad said:

Still have not figured out what a security blanket has to do with the Cold War.

Well, technically it was WWII but your question is still valid IMO.

The idea is that you need a "blanket of security" (put the info under a "blanket" (like a Get Smart "cone of silence")) in order to maintain security.   

BTW, Week 35:  3/5  1 *   Overall:  108/173 (12 *)

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, illdoc said:

The idea is that you need a "blanket of security" (put the info under a "blanket" (like a Get Smart "cone of silence")) in order to maintain security.   

Yeah, I read that on Wikipedia afterward but it's still a term I had never heard applied to any war. I think the Jeopardy kid clue writers read too much on that site. Like saying Sacramento is Almond City when it doesn't even register as a major grower. But it's on Wikipedia so it must be true.

WEEK 36 — ONE asterisk
*174. Americana. John & Priscilla Alden lie in the USA’s oldest maintained cemetery, which like a poem about the couple, is named for this person.  *
175. American Women. In 2006 Arizona State University renamed its college of law in honor of this history-making woman & longtime Arizona resident.
176. Russian Composers. A 1913 piece by him was conceived of as the symphonic equivalent of a pagan ritual, to be titled “Great Sacrifice.”
177. 20th Century Bestselling Authors. He once said, “In all of us there is a hunger, marrow deep, to know our heritage…who we are and where we have come from.”
178. Photo Sharing. Publishing its first photo in 1889, today it has more than 4 billion likes & 100 million followers on Instagram.

18 hours ago, SHD said:

1/5

15 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

1/5

2 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

1/5

2 hours ago, opus said:

0/5

2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

1/5. 

My people!!

<group hug>

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

@Sharpie66 and @GrannySmith, you have both fallen behind in your scores. Be sure to catch up if you are on vacation or otherwise busy. We need you to stay in the contest, you could be surprise winners!

I’m in Europe for another week. Not sure if I can catch up, but I  will try when I get back. I haven’t been spoiled. 

• Love 1