Type keyword(s) to search

Season 35 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

@opus, I don't recognize you any more. You got a face lift.

Christmas makeover. I'm Jewish, and the penguin isn't. So switching on the first night of Hanukah (no one's making any Opus Hanukah ornaments) felt like a nice compromise.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I thought the switch was for my birthday, which was yesterday. I can pretend, can't I? Happy Hanukah!

Happy Birthday! (Does your birthday change dates every year too?)

• Love 1

3/5 with one asterisk. (I spent the full thirty seconds on Tuesday muttering "she's married to one of the Coen brothers and she was Marge Gunderson in Fargo and the crazy lady whose daughter was murdered in Three Billboards and .... time's up!"

• Love 1

WEEK 13 — NO asterisks
61. American Business. Last name of John, Daniel, Elisha & Edward, whose firm turned 200 in 2018 & has dressed 40 U.S. Presidents.
62. The NFL. For the 2018 draft this team tried to use a parrot to make a pick; the bird got stage fright.
63. Names In American History. In 1999 the U.S. Government was ordered to pay his family $16 million for less than 30 seconds of film.
64. World Affairs 2018. An Arab League Summit final statement rejected “interference” by this country often mistakenly called an Arab land itself.
65. Opera. In Act I of this opera, a messenger says, “barbarous Ethiopians” have invaded & “are already marching on Thebes.”

• Love 1

3/5 this week. Monday and Thursday were educated guesses that were correct. Zapruder was such an instaget I knew it before Alex was done reading the clue; maybe because it *wasn't* before my time?

• Love 2

4/5 - as a single Canadian woman who knows nothing about fashion, I didn't even have a guess for who dressed the US presidents. I will say Brooks Brothers sounded vaguely familiar once I heard it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Fex said:

I didn't even have a guess for who dressed the US presidents.

IMO, the U.S. presidents part was tossed in to confuse us. The real question was, what's the last name of these three brothers who make/sell men's suits in America. That presidents wear Brooks Brothers was news to me.  It makes sense they aren't allowed to wear foreign though, like Dior.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

IMO, the U.S. presidents part was tossed in to confuse us. The real question was, what's the last name of these three brothers who make/sell men's suits in America. That presidents wear Brooks Brothers was news to me.  It makes sense they aren't allowed to wear foreign though, like Dior.

The US Presidents thing is what made me realize that it was Brooks Broothers because it’s frequently mentioned during the Inaugural coverage and it narrows it down to men suits. As far as I know there is no rule saying they can’t wear foreign designers. 

4/5. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The US Presidents thing is what made me realize that it was Brooks Broothers because it’s frequently mentioned during the Inaugural coverage

"So Mr. President, who are you wearing?"

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

As far as I know there is no rule saying they can’t wear foreign designers.

Just the rule of Common Sense. Although one president might wear clothing made in China under his own label.

• Love 6

WEEK 14 — NO asterisks
66. 2-Word World Capitals. From 1936 to 1941 this city was the capital of Italian East Africa.
67. Bible Books. The title of this Old Testament book is from the Greek for “Song sung to a harp.”
68. Sci-Fi TV. One of the twin planets this alien race called home was Remus.
69. 19th Century Authors. In the preface to a book of his stories, he thanks a herpetologist of Upper India & an elephant named Bahadur Shah.
70. Business & Industry. After it stopped U.S. operations in 2018, its website said, “Promise us just this one thing: don’t ever grow up.”

• Love 1