Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 9/17/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Don't know where to put this, but I am listening to ET Canada and they predict Julie Chen will end up on The View!  I don't believe it at all, just their speculation, but, that would shake things up, haha.

OMG - that's so hilarious!  I wonder where they picked up that info.

• Love 1

The cheerleader did an amazing job of explaining why she was taking a knee.  She explained how she was personally affected by police shootings of minorities, and how she was afraid for her family and others.  She explained that she in no way was dishonoring the military, that that was not the point.  She talked about putting her hand over heart while taking a knee, as a way of making that point.  But Abby just could not understand her perspective, and wanted to have a conversation about it.  So the one good thing about all of these people who are so entrenched in their position (thanks to you know who), is that we have people like Tommia explaining her perspective on an international stage.  The bullies in power, the Sherriff and the elected representative, have, in their zeal to get Tommia and others off of the field, in fact helped get the message out.

one good thing about Abby today was they toned down those lips.

• Love 15

There are so many problems in this world I don’t understand why some are so focused on a peaceful protest.  

I thought Abby was a little better today.  One thing Abby makes me miss Sara more.  

On another note I would hate a big prospal like that at the Emmys.  What if I wanted to say no.  But I did find it sweet just not for me.  Not that anyone is asking anyway LOL. 

• Love 5

I think today was the first time I've seen everyone treat Abby like she was one of the gang when they were joking about her 1 vote. They were all laughing about it, including Abby. At least she can make fun of herself. I think she's doing okay and is starting to fit in. I haven't heard her screeching over anyone , pouting about a disagreement , taking 10 sips in a row from her cup or looking like she'd rather be anywhere but there. I don't agree with everything she says but then again I don't agree with everything the others say either. I'm just looking for a few laughs.

• Love 14
15 minutes ago, Tosia said:

NO, Whoopi, it's not our fault as women for not teaching men who to respect us.

It is MEN teaching other MEN what they can get away with AND supporting/defending other men who committed those crimes of rape, abuse,  harrassment, and murder.  White men have been/are in power and were able to use the system to their advantage against women, children, and people of color. 

BRAVO!

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Wings said:

Abby, you fucking dimwit, the flag does NOT represent the military.  It represents ALL OF US.

People are taking a knee to bring attention to black people being murdered!!  

And being from a military family means no more than people being from any kind of family, you fucking twat. 

Abby's statement on that irritates me too. What does the flag stand for? When you say the Pledge you are telling yourself. No mention of military at all.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, SrOfficial said:

Another peeve of mine is that she's not the only one who's not prepared.  I'm flabbergasted that they don't know things which they should be researching as part of their jobs.  I wonder what they do after work - cocktails?  Twenty minutes on the internet could help them a lot.

I hate this too. Don't they have a research dept? The only one that researches is Sunny. I even believe her when she says she "read the book" whenever an author is on the show.

3 hours ago, tribeca said:

On another note I would hate a big prospal like that at the Emmys.  What if I wanted to say no.  But I did find it sweet just not for me.  Not that anyone is asking anyway LOL. 

I thought it was the sweetest thing, too. But, also, not for me. I hate being the center of attention.

I always thought Bert and Ernie were grown men, but now that Whoopi threw out the "foster brothers" idea, I'm like this ??????

Big Bird is only 4!? .....nah, I'm not buying it 

3 hours ago, SrOfficial said:

OMG - that's so hilarious!  I wonder where they picked up that info.

Probably throwing out hypoteticals. 

I can't stop focusing on Abby's dimples when she speaks. 

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

Big Bird is only 4!? .....nah, I'm not buying it 

I'd heard this age for Big Bird before, I don't know from where.

According to the Muppet Wikia, he was originally envisioned as around 4.5:

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Bird

Spinney described him as "He was the too-big kid, much as I had been the too-little kid when I was his age. I suggested that we think of him as a child first learning to read and learning the alphabet, like our audience. That made him about 4½."[9]

Apparently, as the Sesame Street audience has gotten younger, he has been aged up to 6, and there he stayed. 

This information has been brought to you by the letter V. ;)

• Love 14
11 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

Why does knowing who you're accuser is impact your own personal decency to tell the truth and admit to something you've done? One's moral compass shouldn't have to be dictated by those who are forced to make you accountable for behaviour that you know is inappropriate and even illegal without them having to tell you. That said, when the allegations are put forward and the accused vehemently denies it, then the anonymity can no longer be protected over the course of a thorough investigation. And for the record, of course he would deny it...how many accused of rape or sexual assault readily and willingly step forward and take ownership of their behaviour? I haven't heard of anyone doing that. It's easy to lie to oneself and rationalize behaviour - 'oh she wanted it', 'oh I was drunk so it doesn't count', 'oh I don't remember so that's grounds to vehemently deny this', etc.

To answer your question: because the accuser may have some ulterior motive for making the accusation. You can't beg the question by assuming Kavanaugh has some overarching responsibility to admit to something. Saying "of course he would deny it" presumes that we have some objectively compelling reason to believe the accuser, and we don't. If someone is alleging something happened decades ago that they never bothered to report at the time, it's at least plausible that the thing did not actually happen. Not that it could not have happened, but just that it didn't.

A victim doesn't have to be accountable to anyone but themselves and their truth. Just because a man who has victimized them has chosen to go on and have a successful career, get married and have kids doesn't take away the right of the victim to speak only when he/she is ready to. Yes, there are people that will be collateral damage in the process but, tough shit, that's life and that's on the person who is guilty of the bad behaviour, not on the person who decides it's time to tell their story. There may be a statute of limitations in law, but none exist in life so yes - she can come forward and tell her story whenever she wants.

But that doesn't mean the rest of world has to humor her or her accusation. Without getting too far off-topic, I think part of the problem is we're way too accommodating of vindictiveness and the need for vengeance when it comes to sexual misconduct, at least notionally. Because the thing is, what Dr. Ford is doing is kind of awful. Spiteful. Vindictive. Cruel. Springing this kind of allegation on this man as he's up for a Supreme Court nomination? That's bullshit. HOWEVER, we're willing to overlook that if we have even a smidgen of belief that she's actually telling the truth. Then it all becomes fair play, or as you put it, "tough shit". So the fact that the accusation can't ever be truly disproven means some people are completely vindicated in their tolerance of this sort of thing.

So my thing is, I agree with you that she or anyone else can tell their story when they want to, but personally, I'm not indulging in anybody's revenge fantasy. I get coming clean about things like this can be cathartic and necessary to make peace and move on, but my compassion stops there. If I feel like you're just trying to get someone in trouble, that doesn't really help along your credibility, and I'm not just going to take your word for it.

For the record - I do believe it's entirely possible that both sides can be telling the truth. If he was really drunk, he may not have remembered the interaction and so his denials are not a lie on his part. If she was drunk, it's possible that she mistook Kavanaugh for someone else who may have looked a lot like him.  I agree with Sunny that the only way to get closer to the truth is to do an investigation and speak to the people in attendance...though unless you had something traumatic happen to you, I'm not sure how much details you remember from one of many parties you attended 35 years ago.

Right. I would like a full investigation as well, but I think Sunny was being disingenuous. She knows that's not possible. She knows this woman doesn't have any legal recourse. She also knows that nobody really wants to be seen as being hard on the lady accusing someone of attempted rape, but by the same token, you can't call a hearing and then proceed to lob softball questions at her the whole time all the while expecting Kavanaugh to talk his way out of it.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, pachebo said:

Dr. Doris Day (i much prefer the REAL Doris) is a total shill for her own practice. Is ABC paying her, or is she paying them?

She is a spokesperson for some dermatology product and that is who pays  her.   too bad I can't remember the name of the product.

7 hours ago, pianogirl73 said:

Yom Kippur began last night as sundown and ends at sundown tonight. 

Yom Kippur is the day of Atonement for Jews where we pray to atone  for our sins, etc.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Tosia said:

Women, including elderly ladies and children, have been discredited for decades when they come forward about sexual assault and rape. It still goes on.  

I am disgusted and saddened and fucking raging about the conjecture on this situation. 

Nobody is denying that, but you can’t “correct” history by swinging the pendulum in the opposite direction. And you can’t ignore the reality that not everybody who makes an accusation is telling the truth. 

• Love 4

I don't think treating women like human beings for a change and acknowledging the reality that the likelihood someone is lying about rape and/or sexual harassment is infinitesimal would be my definition of the pendulum swinging in the opposite direction of a woman being raped and then smeared as an opportunistic liar for coming forward.

The ladies were kinder to Julie Chen than I expected.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 14

Hard eye roll at those who claim to have compassion for the victim of attempted rape and still have the yangs to refer to this case as a revenge fantasy. You’re only fooling yourself. 

It’s similar to Abby saying we need to listen to both sides before letting the guest know the kneeling is about disrespecting the flag. I’m getting so tired of people adapting a false narrative so they don’t have to care about other people. 

• Love 19
4 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I don't think treating women like human beings for a change and acknowledging the reality that the likelihood someone is lying about rape and/or sexual harassment is infinitesimal would be my definition of the pendulum swinging in the opposite direction of a woman being raped and then smeared as an opportunistic liar for coming forward.

The ladies were kinder to Julie Chen than I expected.

The definition of the pendulum swinging too far in the opposite direction would be to assume that an allegation with no evidence or proof, and no way of corroborating said allegation, is true just because various and sundry women in the past weren’t believed or taken seriously. 

And to be honest, this isn’t about respecting victims, it’s about political expedience. Because if it came out tomorrow that this entire thing was a made up lie, nobody has to worry about being the asshole. The people who doubted her were right and the ones who believed her were fooled; well-meaning, but gullible. 

1 hour ago, Meatball said:

Hard eye roll at those who claim to have compassion for the victim of attempted rape and still have the yangs to refer to this case as a revenge fantasy. You’re only fooling yourself. 

It’s similar to Abby saying we need to listen to both sides before letting the guest know the kneeling is about disrespecting the flag. I’m getting so tired of people adapting a false narrative so they don’t have to care about other people. 

Having compassion doesn’t mean you forget how to think and use deductive reason. This woman did write this letter and went to the press in the wake of Brett Kavanaugh being nominated for the Supreme Court. If this happened, maybe it’s relevant information — more on that in a second — but it was relevant for three-plus decades. Dr. Ford knows what she’s doing; like I said, we’re okay with it as long as we operate under the assumption that she’s credible.

Credibility aside, I’m not sure someone’s behavior as a teenager is necessarily relevant throughout their entire lives. Of course there are exceptions, but there’s this generalized notion that If You Ever Mistreated A Woman You Can’t Have Nice Things mentality that’s a little unsettling to me. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Tosia said:

Women, including elderly ladies and children, have been discredited for decades when they come forward about sexual assault and rape. It still goes on.  

I am disgusted and saddened and fucking raging about the conjecture on this situation. 

Plus she was a 15yo kid!  Much more likely to keep it to herself than tell anyone.  This is why an FBI investigation is imperative.  

• Love 12
5 hours ago, 27bored said:

Of course there are exceptions, but there’s this generalized notion that If You Ever Mistreated A Woman You Can’t Have Nice Things mentality that’s a little unsettling to me. 

If "mistreated" is referring to rape, attempted rape, sexual harassment, physical abuse, ruining a woman's career because they're a woman or because they wouldn't sleep with you, or anything else along the same lines, then that mentality seems pretty sound, imo.

• Love 23
3 hours ago, Tosia said:

Abby says nothing of value on this show. Meatball is so right.....  Abby manipulates the narrative to add on the nonsensical bullshit to keep up the ire of the base.  Her words to Tomia  about understanding and listening to the other side are incredibly tone deaf to the harm she is perpetuating by supporting said false narrative.  Ridiculous patter coming from an entitled white woman who knows NOTHING of struggle. 

Abby has an air of arrogance when saying each side should listen to each other.  What she really means is I will listen to you but not really because I already know that what I think is right and what you think is wrong.  She is just a brunette Meghan without the screeching.

• Love 13

Yes Whoopi, for legal purposes you all have to inform the audience everyday until otherwise noted that Kavenaugh denies all the allegations. 

And unfortunately I agree with Joy - Kavenaugh will still eventually become a SCOTUS and all the senators we're supposedly "counting on" will do absolutely nothing to stop it. I guess there's not much they can do at this point. 

• Love 13

What's with Sunny's Little House on the Prairie dresses all this week?

A friend just posted a meme on FB about the hypocracy of public outrage when guys report abuse by priests 30 yrs later vs the ridicule of women who report abuse by men 30 yrs later.

Joy and Sunny have never heard of TPing someone's house?  I guess you can't do that in the city. ?

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 18

Ok, who is the guy with the glasses standing beside the camera who Whoopi keeps bitching at?  Is this the new Bill Geddie? When did he show up?  And why does he get so much camera time?  Whoopi clearly hates the guy.  Is this new to this year?  Because I don't find it charming.  Her calling him out on something, dripping in disdain, while the camera goes to him basically shrugging his shoulders and going"oopsy!" 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Whoopie, you know how you don't want to hear Sunny read the legal disclaimer everyday?  That's how the rest of us feel when you shout "Welcome to The View" a dozen times each day.

OMG, BronzeDog...I hope you get FIFTY likes on your post (above).  I watch the show with the volume muted until after she finishes her ridiculous greeting.  I enjoy watching Joy's face at the time...she's either paying attention to her blue cards or looking exasperated.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 17

Whoopie is surly today.  I love Kelly Clarkson.  I wish I had 1/4 of her enthusiasm for everything.

I guess Sunny and Joy never heard of tping because they lived in high rises in the city?

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, Fannysue said:
22 hours ago, pachebo said:

Dr. Doris Day (i much prefer the REAL Doris) is a total shill for her own practice. Is ABC paying her, or is she paying them?

She is a spokesperson for some dermatology product and that is who pays  her.   too bad I can't remember the name of the product.

This is just another commerical, but presented "live," so it appears to be part of the show.  Dr. Day represents various companies--this was Eskata, part of Aclaris Therapeutics.   We have seen her "shill" many beauty and skincare products and devices.  There have been lots of other "live" commercials in The View's past trying to trick us into thinking we're being entertained.  They all pay ABC.

• Love 5

There's a great, albeit depressing,  article on LitHub,  by Rebecca Solnit, titled:" The Fall of Men Has Been Greatly Exaggerated", regarding Kavanaugh and other men who crimes/consequences have been swept aside.  

No words for such injustice.  

• Love 5
6 hours ago, 27bored said:

The definition of the pendulum swinging too far in the opposite direction would be to assume that an allegation with no evidence or proof, and no way of corroborating said allegation, is true just because various and sundry women in the past weren’t believed or taken seriously. 

And to be honest, this isn’t about respecting victims, it’s about political expedience. Because if it came out tomorrow that this entire thing was a made up lie, nobody has to worry about being the asshole. The people who doubted her were right and the ones who believed her were fooled; well-meaning, but gullible. 

Having compassion doesn’t mean you forget how to think and use deductive reason. This woman did write this letter and went to the press in the wake of Brett Kavanaugh being nominated for the Supreme Court. If this happened, maybe it’s relevant information — more on that in a second — but it was relevant for three-plus decades. Dr. Ford knows what she’s doing; like I said, we’re okay with it as long as we operate under the assumption that she’s credible.

Credibility aside, I’m not sure someone’s behavior as a teenager is necessarily relevant throughout their entire lives. Of course there are exceptions, but there’s this generalized notion that If You Ever Mistreated A Woman You Can’t Have Nice Things mentality that’s a little unsettling to me. 

Of course he can have nice things. But should he become one of the most powerful men in the U.S. for the rest of his life?

• Love 13
6 hours ago, 27bored said:

No, it’s more If You Have Ever Attempted to Rape A Woman You Lose the Privlege of Trying To Control Their Bodies.

Edited by Aileen
  • Love 15

We're reached the intersection of Off-Topic-Town Road and No-Politics Circle. It's time to take that U-turn back to the View and away from the Supreme Court nominee. Please stay on the topic of the show.

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

What's with Sunny's Little House on the Prairie dresses all this week?

A friend just posted a meme on FB about the hypocracy of public outrage when guys report abuse by priests 30 yrs later vs the ridicule of women who report abuse by men 30 yrs later.

Joy and Sunny have never heard of TPing someone's house?  I guess you can't do that in the city. ?

That popped up on my FB also, very good point.  High school we TP several times. Fun times. Sometimes only managed the trees closest to street. Simpler times. Shaving cream on cars. 

Sorry Giant Mistfit just saw post 

Edited by athousandclowns
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Former Nun said:
2 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Whoopie, you know how you don't want to hear Sunny read the legal disclaimer everyday?  That's how the rest of us feel when you shout "Welcome to The View" a dozen times each day.

OMG, BronzeDog...I hope you get FIFTY likes on your post (above).  I enjoy watching Joy's face at the time...she's either paying attention to her blue cards or looking exasperated.

Yup....I too watch Joy's face, she obviously hates when Whoopi does this.

• Love 9

In my neck of the woods, getting your house tp’d was a sign of popularity ( for high school kids).  Unfortunately for my dad (who had to take the toilet paper down) I was pretty popular. My senior year in high school was not a good time for dad...

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

In my neck of the woods, getting your house tp’d was a sign of popularity ( for high school kids).  Unfortunately for my dad (who had to take the toilet paper down) I was pretty popular. My senior year in high school was not a good time for dad...

That's how it was in my area too...for teenagers.  Win a class election?  Homecoming queen/king?  Make the cheer squad?  TP!    The kids in elementary school had no qualifications.  Several kids would swipe TP from home and hit the most convenient house.  Because we have a lot of "desert landscaping" here, the only rule I gave my kids was they were NOT to TP yards with rock "lawns" and cactus.  That's HELL to clean up.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Ok, who is the guy with the glasses standing beside the camera who Whoopi keeps bitching at?  Is this the new Bill Geddie? When did he show up?  And why does he get so much camera time?  Whoopi clearly hates the guy.  Is this new to this year?  Because I don't find it charming.  Her calling him out on something, dripping in disdain, while the camera goes to him basically shrugging his shoulders and going"oopsy!" 

September 1, 2017 issue of "Variety,"  

Brian Teta has been promoted to an executive producer on “The View,” Variety has learned.  Teta will share the role with the show’s other executive producer, Candi Carter, in overseeing the ABC daytime talk show started by Barbara Walters in 1997 with opinionated women debating about the headlines of the day. They will both continue to report to Hilary Estey McLoughlin, a senior executive producer at ABC News.  Teta, who spent 11 years on “The Late Show With David Letterman,” has been the co-executive producer of “The View” since 2015. “The View” has seen a spike in ratings this year, averaging 2.8 million viewers — its best numbers in three years. The show has focused more on political stories under Donald Trump’s presidency.

• Love 5

I love love LOVE Kelly but that was not a good plug for hosting a talk show. Girl was all over the place.

I did like Abby saying she was a fan..between that and her story about only getting 1 vote made me realize we don’t really “know” her. They should have done a “get to know me” segment for any new panelists.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Brian Teta has been promoted to an executive producer on “The View,” Variety has learned.  Teta will share the role with the show’s other executive producer, Candi Carter, in overseeing the ABC daytime talk show started by Barbara Walters in 1997 with opinionated women debating about the headlines of the day. They will both continue to report to Hilary Estey McLoughlin, a senior executive producer at ABC News.  Teta, who spent 11 years on “The Late Show With David Letterman,” has been the co-executive producer of “The View” since 2015. “The View” has seen a spike in ratings this year, averaging 2.8 million viewers — its best numbers in three years. The show has focused more on political stories under Donald Trump’s presidency.

Letterman was a very male centric show.  So for him to come to the View...….He clearly doesn't understand/respect or give a fuck about what the View was intended to be.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Former Nun said:

I enjoy watching Joy's face at the time...she's either paying attention to her blue cards or looking exasperated.

I also like watching Joy. She acts as if it's not even happening. I almost hate to admit it but every once in a while I'll count the number of times Whoopie says it just because it's so ridiculous. I wonder what the record is ? Not that I'd want to see it or anything.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Orillia said:

I also like watching Joy. She acts as if it's not even happening. I almost hate to admit it but every once in a while I'll count the number of times Whoopie says it just because it's so ridiculous. I wonder what the record is ? Not that I'd want to see it or anything.

I record the show every day, and I have it start two minutes into the show. That way I don’t have to start off being annoyed at the opening. I actually do this with several talk shows where the beginning is just people walking in and/or screaming hellos.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

I record the show every day, and I have it start two minutes into the show. That way I don’t have to start off being annoyed at the opening. I actually do this with several talk shows where the beginning is just people walking in and/or screaming hellos.

Smart!  I wonder why they feel the audience has to be whipped up into a frenzy?  Is it so the participants can feel the love?  It annoys the viewers at home.

• Love 10