Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 9/17/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Former Nun said:

The victim will never forget.  The "forcer" will claim that he/she remembers no such thing...and that becomes their history.  We hear too often that someone turns into a different person when he/she is drinking/drunk.

Right. Or we hear that girls brought it on themselves, if they were drinking, but boys/men can't be held accountable for what they do when drunk. 

When I was a teenager, a member of my family was raped by her drunk fiance. I wish that I could get justice for her now. It wouldn't have happened then, because they were engaged, and slept together when he wasn't working out of town. The fact that he forced himself on her wouldn't come into it, and it leaves me stabby/ragey.

• Love 17

I need to go on an Abby diet. I'm beginning to feel bloated and uncomfortable. 

Love Willie Nelson. Love that he doesn't care about the "controversy" started by the clueless. In honor of Willie...

DnT5h22VYAEYN9U.jpg

Edited by SunFun
resize pic
  • Love 21
1 hour ago, Prairiemakeup said:

Did Kavanaugh and Dr Ford attend the same high school? I thought I read that Kavanaugh attended an all boys school. 

Right. What Morgalisa said.  The kids from both schools partied together. 

• Love 8

I'm still okay with Abby. The show may be boring and her views are ill informed, but she's not yelling and she's not reading from her notes. I like how she tries to listen and have a conversation and she doesn't mention her dad much, only when it's relevant to the discussion. Plus, she's good on the lighter topics as well. Maybe MM spoiled me, but as long as there's no yelling or screaming I'm okay with the show.

3 hours ago, bannana said:

I think Whoopi was pissed at the producers, who cut her off and made her go to Sunny to read a legal note.  She seemed very grumpy after that in reading her teleprompter, until she had first Sally there, and then Willie.  Otherwise, she was annoyed.

That too, but I do think she was also sad due to Burt's passing.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

That was a pretty boring show today. 

I enjoyed Sally Field and Willy Nelson, but both of the interviews seemed off, somehow.  Sally seemed very nervous, and was rambling at times.  She seemed uncomfortable, imo.  It's hard to watch, especially given all the amazing performances she has given us throughout her career.

The Willy Nelson interview also seemed stilted, and it seemed like Joy was trying to create some controversy (producer prodding in her earpiece, maybe?) and Willy was having none of it.  I just think he's such a chill guy, he really doesn't give a shit about what people think of him - and, at his age and station in life, he's 100% right!  

I also think that the show, overall, just hasn't found it's balance yet, with Abby being new and Meghan not there.  Joy doesn't seem relaxed or happy, Whoopi still looks miserable and is still a terrible moderator, Sunny seems slightly angry (or more angry, depending on the topic) and Abby just seems like a beauty pageant contestant who wants to appear knowledgeable, but comes across the exact opposite.  I really can't put my finger on exactly what is wrong, but there is definitely something just not right.  It will be interesting to see how the dynamics will change once Meghan returns.

• Love 20
2 hours ago, DuckyinKy said:

Yes, yes it was. Sally Field seemed to be rambling, she was talking yet not saying anything it seemed. She used a lot of "therapy words" so I assume she is in some type of help, she was hitting all the notes. 

She's always like that.  She doesn't give a good interview.  But anyway, I've reserved her book at the library.

• Love 6

Wow! I can't believe that Sunny didn't like the Emmy proposal. Thought for sure she'd be a sucker for that kinda stuff. Guess she just wanted to be contrary to Abby's opinion. ? (For the record, I'm not surprised Joy hated it.)

I think Abby looks like Nany from MTV's The Challenge. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Blissfool said:

Wow! I can't believe that Sunny didn't like the Emmy proposal. Thought for sure she'd be a sucker for that kinda stuff. Guess she just wanted to be contrary to Abby's opinion. ? (For the record, I'm not surprised Joy hated it.)

I think Abby looks like Nany from MTV's The Challenge. 

I hated it too.  I wonder why people take a private moment like that & make it public.  Some kind of ego!  Didn't Star Jones' first husband, Al Reynolds propose during a basketball game?  

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Prairiemakeup said:

Did Kavanaugh and Dr Ford attend the same high school? I thought I read that Kavanaugh attended an all boys school. 

Ford’s former high school is located seven miles away from Kavanaugh’s former high school, and each of them was a single-sex educational institution.  I found this on the internet.

Also, when I was in high school, our boys' high school was located three blocks from our girls' school.   The same for the only other Catholic high schools in the area: boys a couple of blocks away from the girls.  Different administrations, different orders of nuns (for girls) and priests (for boys).  We had a lot of schools-planned events together and a lot of parties on our own.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Whoopi looks incredibly down today. With Sally there, I'm sure she's remembering Burt Reynolds.

Whoopi was so over the bullshyte today. Her look said, "I'm just here so I don't get fined."

• Love 5
On 9/17/2018 at 11:43 PM, maggiemae said:

Abby is driving me crazy. She says it was political yet no explanation why. So dense she cannot understand Feinstein received her letter in July. And honored Ford's request yet referred it to the FBI. Over and over and over again.

She is like a statue sitting there. And monopolizes the time by not listening....just babbling the latest GOP headline.

Abby really needs to prepare for the show. I don't recall her ever referring to blue cards or siting sources for "her view."

I am also thinking Meghan is not well. She is not tweeting - very silent on life. IMO she is not as strong or tough as her eulogy said about what she learned from her father. And as she said while on the show. I hope she gets help.

Having lost my mom a few months ago to cancer and having been as close to her as Meghan was to her dad (best friends), I get where she is and I'm glad ABC is giving her as much time as she needs. It wasn't until two months after she passed and all the "business" of death stuff was done when it all hit me. I was literally in bed for 3 weeks (thank God my office was closed for an extended holiday) and lost 15 lbs in the process. It's been several months and my sleep patterns are still screwed up. 

I can't stand Meghan but I'll give her a pass because I've been there. She's going through pure hell right now. That being said, I'm enjoying her not being on my screen. =)

• Love 20
On 9/18/2018 at 12:23 AM, 27bored said:

The Brett Kavanaugh discussion was annoying. I don’t mean any offense, but the panel and Chuck Schumer were copping pleas for the accuser and Diane Feinstein. I don’t care how credible she seems, the world doesn’t revolve around Dr. Ford, and Senate Democrats don’t get a pass on the shady optics of it all because they’re advocating for a so-called victim. Ok, she wanted her story out there but wanted to keep her anonymity? Uh, how about no? Why should this man have to defend himself against an anonymous victim with an accusation of misconduct from thirty-five years ago? The whole “women should be able to come forward whenever, wherever, and however they want” thing that Chuck was saying is fine until you remember, you know, other people exist and kinda matter too. 

Abby wasn’t the most articulate, but I thought she was at least trying to make a decent point about this being so last minute. 

Why does knowing who you're accuser is impact your own personal decency to tell the truth and admit to something you've done? One's moral compass shouldn't have to be dictated by those who are forced to make you accountable for behaviour that you know is inappropriate and even illegal without them having to tell you. That said, when the allegations are put forward and the accused vehemently denies it, then the anonymity can no longer be protected over the course of a thorough investigation. And for the record, of course he would deny it...how many accused of rape or sexual assault readily and willingly step forward and take ownership of their behaviour? I haven't heard of anyone doing that. It's easy to lie to oneself and rationalize behaviour - 'oh she wanted it', 'oh I was drunk so it doesn't count', 'oh I don't remember so that's grounds to vehemently deny this', etc.

A victim doesn't have to be accountable to anyone but themselves and their truth. Just because a man who has victimized them has chosen to go on and have a successful career, get married and have kids doesn't take away the right of the victim to speak only when he/she is ready to. Yes, there are people that will be collateral damage in the process but, tough shit, that's life and that's on the person who is guilty of the bad behaviour, not on the person who decides it's time to tell their story. There may be a statute of limitations in law, but none exist in life so yes - she can come forward and tell her story whenever she wants.

For the record - I do believe it's entirely possible that both sides can be telling the truth. If he was really drunk, he may not have remembered the interaction and so his denials are not a lie on his part. If she was drunk, it's possible that she mistook Kavanaugh for someone else who may have looked a lot like him.  I agree with Sunny that the only way to get closer to the truth is to do an investigation and speak to the people in attendance...though unless you had something traumatic happen to you, I'm not sure how much details you remember from one of many parties you attended 35 years ago.

Edited by RHJunkie
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, Marigny said:

Having lost my mom a few months ago to cancer and having been as close to her as Meghan was to her dad (best friends), I get where she is and I'm glad ABC is giving her as much time as she needs. It wasn't until two months after she passed and all the "business" of death stuff was done when it all hit me. I was literally in bed for 3 weeks (thank God my office was closed for an extended holiday) and lost 15 lbs in the process. It's been several months and my sleep patterns are still screwed up. 

I can't stand Meghan but I'll give her a pass because I've been there. She's going through pure hell right now. That being said, I'm enjoying her not being on my screen. =)

I've been there, too - two years ago. I was in shock for a while, and just grateful that I had family (like my dad) taking care of everything, as well as just spending a lot of time together, because I had no idea what to do, and was barely functioning. It's when the shock goes away, and people go back to their lives, that it really hits you. 

24 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

For the record - I do believe it's entirely possible that both sides can be telling the truth. If he was really drunk, he may not have remembered the interaction and so his denials are not a lie on his part. If she was drunk, it's possible that she mistook Kavanaugh for someone else who may have looked a lot like him.  I agree with Sunny that the only way to get closer to the truth is to do an investigation and speak to the people in attendance...though unless you had something traumatic happen to you, I'm not sure how much details you remember from one of many parties you attended 35 years ago.

38 years, not for rape, but almost being killed by someone. I still remember the details, and his hands around my five-year-old throat. I still remember the details around other things, too.

• Love 13
26 minutes ago, Anela said:

38 years, not for rape, but almost being killed by someone. I still remember the details, and his hands around my five-year-old throat. I still remember the details around other things, too.

I'm so sorry that you had to go through that :(

A victim always remember. Always. They may not remember ALL details, but they remember enough the feeling of being violated and unsafe and that's a trauma that I'm sure never truly goes away.

Edited by RHJunkie
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, tvaddict44 said:

Interesting mixture of comments from yesterday's show.  Abby always keeps me from totally enjoying the show, but having Willie yesterday helped.  Being from Texas, I'd say about 98% of us consider him our national treasure and want to hear and see him whenever we can.  I would have rather heard him sing than address that silly ill-informed nonsense about his politics.  It's long been common knowledge that he is liberal politically.  How could he not be with the non-judgmental way he lives his life

Abby finally caused me to send another post to the ABC complaint line (not that anyone reads it)  I gave them grief about dumping her on us without ever seeing her on the show once before she was hired.  I asked them to explain to her about interviewing people, listening to their answer before she tears into them and becomes obnoxious. I'm sure we'll see an improvement soon - not.......

Can’t stand Willie.  He can’t sing, either.  Just my opinion, people.

Not sure why people have a problem with Abby.  None of the others have interview skills, either.  There’s a history of bad hosts on this show, & I’m not getting my knickers in a twist over this one (no worse than Candace, Elisabeth, the Cosby show kid).

• Love 2

Today's show has been fairly enjoyable thus far. When the View focuses more on Hot Topics, the better it is. Everyone is allowed to talk and share their piece without yelling or cross talk, so it's been easy to follow and nice to see. It could go downhill after this, but so far this is probably one of the better episodes of the season.

• Love 6

So I kinda get what Abby was saying this morning, though I am not sure she is right.  There is a chance that Collins, Merkowski, Corker, Flake, etc. say "No" to Kavanaugh outright and thus all this won't (and really needn't) go farther.   She has a little more faith in the old guard GOP than I have at this point, but its a possibility. As for Burt/Ernie - they are puppets and I do think Sesame Street wants the "children" of the show to be puppets and the adults the "actors" on the show.   On Mr. Rogers I used to think Lady Elaine was a mean old lush, but that's about as far as my opinion will go on puppets having adult characteristics on children tv shows. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, SrOfficial said:

Can’t stand Willie.  He can’t sing, either.  Just my opinion, people.

Not sure why people have a problem with Abby.  None of the others have interview skills, either.  There’s a history of bad hosts on this show, & I’m not getting my knickers in a twist over this one (no worse than Candace, Elisabeth, the Cosby show kid).

I think part of the problem is that Abby is more of the same of the people we've seen before and weren't great in the role. What she has in common with Candace, Elisabeth and Raven is that their opinions have often been entrenched in emotional response to their normal way of thinking without much detail or context beyond what their comfortable learning. I think Whoopi demonstrates this as well when the topic is somehow related to people she knows personally (ex. Cosby) or topics that she feels she can relate to (ex. poverty, racism, etc.). I see that as a problem in someone's ability to be effective or 'good' in this particular role when you have a national stage to share those opinions and choose to come unprepared. Different opinions are totally fine, but at least do some research, diversify your resources and use that to come to your own conclusions rather than parrot talking points for one side or another. Raven was unique in the sense that I don't think she chose political sides, I think that she just said whatever she thought...which I thought at times resulted in her saying some really stupid shit, lol. I don't think a history of having crappy panel members is a reason for people to not voice their dislike of Abby or anyone else for that matter. I'm personally not so annoyed that I can't watch her...but I think she does herself a disservice with being unprepared that it makes her come across as unintelligent. I just don't get why I'm supposed to watch someone in political sphere be legitimately confused and ask really stupid questions that could easily be answered by listening to what the panel members before her said and actually doing some research.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

I was attacked by my boss, an older friend of my father, about 27 years ago.  I remember everything.  How he smelled, his expressions and the feeling of being thrown up against the wall and off my feet.  It will stay with me forever.  The only reason I went on is that his wife believed me and did something about it including finding me a good job and calling the police.  How lucky was I?  My own father thought I should have felt honored. [bangs head on desk, walks away]

18 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

Tommia Dean is a very brave and well-spoken young woman. I hope she wins the lawsuit. 

I agree.  Did Abbey say "people like you"?  Yikes, I get her point but an unfortunate choice of words.

Bert/Ernie - The actual statement by the writer was that he based the characters on his own daily experiences with his partner and their differences in personality.

• Love 13

re: tuesday's show

Sally Field struck me as mentally unbalanced. A great actress, yes, but I wouldn't wanna be stuck in an elevator with her.

Whoopi is acting like a rebellious toddler, fighting with the producers and reading the teleprompter perfunctorily like she's doing it against her will (well, probably she is). Willie tells the audience that they are getting his album, and then Whoopi immediately makes a grand announcement as if it's this huge surprise.

Dr. Doris Day (i much prefer the REAL Doris) is a total shill for her own practice. Is ABC paying her, or is she paying them?

I really don't mind Abby, nor do I think she is stupid or ill-informed.

Joy is sadly beginning to show signs of slowing down to the point of becoming the doddering old aunt at the holiday table.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, RHJunkie said:

Raven was unique in the sense that I don't think she chose political sides, I think that she just said whatever she thought...which I thought at times resulted in her saying some really stupid shit, lol. I don't think a history of having crappy panel members is a reason for people to not voice their dislike of Abby or anyone else for that matter. I'm personally not so annoyed that I can't watch her...but I think she does herself a disservice with being unprepared that it makes her come across as unintelligent. I just don't get why I'm supposed to watch someone in political sphere be legitimately confused and ask really stupid questions that could easily be answered by listening to what the panel members before her said and actually doing some research.

I was trying to say that the fact that they have a history of crappy panel members doesn't make me think anything will change.  People are free to say they dislike her, but I have no problem with her.  Another peeve of mine is that she's not the only one who's not prepared.  I'm flabbergasted that they don't know things which they should be researching as part of their jobs.  I wonder what they do after work - cocktails?  Twenty minutes on the internet could help them a lot.

Thanks for the name, Raven, I was also too lazy to do the research!

7 minutes ago, pachebo said:

Sally Field struck me as mentally unbalanced. A great actress, yes, but I wouldn't wanna be stuck in an elevator with her.

I've always felt that she was a bit of a flake, but I will read her book.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, jalady said:

No, just today.  ETA, I have no “school “.  No children and I don’t work in the school system in any way.  I just appreciate the lighter traffic!

But tomorrow should be the day off is why I was asking.  In my area, its tomorrow.  I just happened to live by 2 temples, and tomorrow is when I 'll notice my traffic patterns.  I was only asking to learn...."the more you know..."  lol 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, SrOfficial said:

I was trying to say that the fact that they have a history of crappy panel members doesn't make me think anything will change.  People are free to say they dislike her, but I have no problem with her.  Another peeve of mine is that she's not the only one who's not prepared.  I'm flabbergasted that they don't know things which they should be researching as part of their jobs.  I wonder what they do after work - cocktails?  Twenty minutes on the internet could help them a lot.

Thanks for the name, Raven, I was also too lazy to do the research!

I've always felt that she was a bit of a flake, but I will read her book.

Gotcha. I agree...it seems clear by now that their priority is talking about issues that are intended to be relatable, not informative and while I do think that's an irresponsible way of sharing news, like you, I realize that this won't change. If the system were broken, they would have been off the air by now. They see the formula that works for them and they are going to stick with it - unless all of those complaints to ABC result in a loss of significant viewers for them to take notice, I don't think anything changes.

I think Sunny is the only one that really comes prepared with facts, details, etc. and I think that speaks more to the nature of her being a lawyer. And I also think it highlights how unprepared the other women are.

Ah yes Raven...I don't even know how she got a spot on that show. If I would have to guess, I think Whoopi had something to do with it, lol.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, nokat said:

Since Sunny was in Meghan's seat, did she also get her stylist? That green dress was...interesting.

Yeah shes been rockn the sleek new trendy look of pantsuits.  But the suits have to be cut and tailored to fit, for it to look sleek and not boxy and cumbersome

8 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Don't know where to put this, but I am listening to ET Canada and they predict Julie Chen will end up on The View!  I don't believe it at all, just their speculation, but, that would shake things up, haha.

Julie Chen will be lying low for awhile and her contract with CBS wouldn't allow her to move to ABC--just now.   

• Love 7
2 hours ago, SrOfficial said:

Not sure why people have a problem with Abby.

I don't have a "problem" with her, but she's irritating.  She presents a know-it-all attitude.  Even when she's proven wrong as far as the other panelists (and audience) are concerned, she repeats, repeats, repeats.  Today she asked the young cheerleader to explain her position to help Abby "understand," when the entire segment was explaining her position.   I think Abby has a position and thinks she doesn't need to "listen" to anyone else.  Let's see if she ever backs down from an opinion.

What kind of a kid was she in 7th grade that got her only ONE VOTE (her own) for a class office?  Let's send the FBI out to interview those classmates.

• Love 11
18 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Isn’t a part of Yom Kipur NOT sitting around watching television? 

And if kids were sitting around watching TV on Yom Kippur, would they really be watching The View, where the average age of the hosts is ~55?

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Julie Chen will be lying low for awhile and her contract with CBS wouldn't allow her to move to ABC--just now.   

Well Joy said if Julie Chen continued on the Talk they wouldn't be able to talk about the MeToo movement so if Julie joined the View that would mean that topic would be off limits on there as well.  But I honestly wouldn't be surprised if ABC put out a feeler to her.  They would want the publicity for bringing her on never mind she IMO would bring nothing to the table.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I don't have a "problem" with her, but she's irritating.  She presents a know-it-all attitude.  Even when she's proven wrong as far as the other panelists (and audience) are concerned, she repeats, repeats, repeats.  Today she asked the young cheerleader to explain her position to help Abby "understand," when the entire segment was explaining her position.   I think Abby has a position and thinks she doesn't need to "listen" to anyone else.  Let's see if she ever backs down from an opinion.

What kind of a kid was she in 7th grade that got her only ONE VOTE (her own) for a class office?  Let's send the FBI out to interview those classmates.

I totally agree with this.  She doesn't listen and is so fixed on her own views that she didn't notice that the entire rest of her grade 7 class did not share her views.  Tommia did a great job of explaining how she supports the military (hand on heart) who make it possible for Americans to peacefully protest.  It was ironic that Abby preceded her question with something like: "it is important that we listen to people with different opinions" and then proceeded NOT to listen, as usual.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 16
53 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

The schools in my area are open. The Jewish kids just take an “absent” for the day. 

Well that doesn't seem fair.  In my area if you have decent grades, haven't been disciplined and haven't missed any school you can skip finals and keep your grade at the time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Don't know where to put this, but I am listening to ET Canada and they predict Julie Chen will end up on The View!  I don't believe it at all, just their speculation, but, that would shake things up, haha.

It’ll never happen. The Talk was Julie’s baby so I doubt she’d go to the competition. The View could really use a polished, professional moderator like her though. 

39 minutes ago, deirdra said:

I totally agree with this.  She doesn't listen and is so fixed on her own views that she didn't notice that the entire rest of her grade 7 class did not share her views.  Tommia did a great job of explaining how she supports the military (hand on heart) who make it possible for Americans to peacefully protest.  It was ironic that Abby preceded her question with something like: "it is important that we listen to people with different opinions" and then proceeded NOT to listen, as usual.

And she dragged out the “I’m from a military family” excuse yet again. I’m guessing Tammia has relatives in the military too.  (Wings, you posted while I was typing.)

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

But tomorrow should be the day off is why I was asking.  In my area, its tomorrow.  I just happened to live by 2 temples, and tomorrow is when I 'll notice my traffic patterns.  I was only asking to learn...."the more you know..."  lol 

My calendar says today’s the holiday, which is consistent with what Whoopi said and how the school district I live in observes it.  Also, I live in a neighborhood with a lot of Orthodox Jewish people and I saw lots of people walking to the synagogue this morning.  But, although like Whoopi I have a Jewish last name, I am most certainly NOT.  So I’m going by the school calendar, LOL!  But enjoy your light traffic tomorrow while I’m back in rush hour hell ?.

• Love 3

Well Abby, sugar, if you want to understand the other side, then why don't you and your ilk shut the ever loving fuck up and listen and not pipe in "BUT THE MILITARY. THINK OF THE MILITARY".  and perhaps realize, just realize, that if people would listen to "their side" they wouldn't be kneeling.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

I don't want her on the View - let her and her man go stand in some corner all alone......I want nothing to do with Julie Chen Moonves (as she now refereeing to herself)

• Love 12
13 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

my calendar  for today says "Yom Kippur" (begins at sunset)  and google concurs with me.  Of course I believe you that your schools are off today, but Yom Kippur is tonight at sundown, through tomorrow at sundown

Yom Kippur began last night as sundown and ends at sundown tonight. 

• Love 4