Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E07: Big Time Dance

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

Dayton was great in the hip hop dance they did at SG tryouts. Wow! I guess hip hop is her style. She outdanced everyone in her group on that routine.

Victoria clearly expected Kelli to put her on SG just because she's Victoria and was stunned when it didn't happen. And it's certainly understandable how someone who grew up with Cassie Trammell would expect that, but it's still not a good look. Victoria doesn't seem to understand (or care) that when it comes to DCC, Kelli is her boss - not Mommy's BFF. Judy seems annoyed by VK's entitlement and inappropriately casual attitude, but is obviously in the tough position of not really being able to say anything about it because of the blatant favoritism shown to Cassie from the moment they placed her (in a spot she absolutely didn't deserve) on the team.

I do not get the Jalyn love. She's one of my least favorite TCC.

I cannot believe they let Malena resign from her job to stay in Training Camp. Based on what we saw in this episode, I don't think she could even make a high school dance team in Texas.  She's cute, but she cannot dance at this level. And it's not just the memory issues.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, blairwaldorf said:

Dayton was great in the hip hop dance they did at SG tryouts. Wow! I guess hip hop is her style. She outdanced everyone in her group on that routine.

Victoria clearly expected Kelli to put her on SG just because she's Victoria and was stunned when it didn't happen. And it's certainly understandable how someone who grew up with Cassie Trammell would expect that, but it's still not a good look. Victoria doesn't seem to understand (or care) that when it comes to DCC, Kelli is her boss - not Mommy's BFF. Judy seems annoyed by VK's entitlement and inappropriately casual attitude, but is obviously in the tough position of not really being able to say anything about it because of the blatant favoritism shown to Cassie from the moment they placed her (in a spot she absolutely didn't deserve) on the team.

I cannot believe they let Malena resign from her job to stay in Training Camp. Based on what we saw in this episode, I don't think she could even make a high school dance team in Texas.  She's cute, but she cannot dance at this level. And it's not just the memory issues.

Hopefully Malena “resigning” was for TV and not as bad as we think. If she gets cut she may be able to go back and get her old job back (it usually takes several weeks just to go through all the HR processes of posting and interviewing for a position). Hopefully her employer is understanding. Which school did she work for? TCU? I would think they’d want to keep a good relationship with the Cowboys. Giving proximity and how many TCU showgirls tryout for DCC. 

28 minutes ago, blairwaldorf said:

Dayton just came alive during that hip hop dance, it was totally in her wheelhouse and she looked so happy and exciting to watch.
Vk''s behaviour when she was in the office, the way she was like 'I really wanted show group' ust to me came off whiny, and childish, as though she was entirely expecting Kelli to cave and put her in show group if she just whined a bit and shrugged and acted like a ten year old.  all the over the top expressions and draping herself over the table...ugh. TCC is an extended job interview and she was acting unprofessionally to say the least.

• Love 3

Well at least we finally got the anseer to one important question: Jalyn is pronounced JAY-lin but Kelly pronounces it jay-LIN because of her southern accent. I remember she explained it to one of the choreographers when they were discussing the TCCs  

1 hour ago, Stan39 said:

Hopefully Malena “resigning” was for TV and not as bad as we think. If she gets cut she may be able to go back and get her old job back (it usually takes several weeks just to go through all the HR processes of posting and interviewing for a position). Hopefully her employer is understanding. Which school did she work for? TCU? I would think they’d want to keep a good relationship with the Cowboys. Giving proximity and how many TCU showgirls tryout for DCC. 

I’m 99% sure Malena said she worked for SMU. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Well at least we finally got the anseer to one important question: Jalyn is pronounced JAY-lin but Kelly pronounces it jay-LIN because of her southern accent. I remember she explained it to one of the choreographers when they were discussing the TCCs  

I think you’re right. Still in Dallas and still probably a plus to have employees who made it to DCC training camp. I would think. 

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Interesting that Kelli can pronounce Khalyn correctly, but not Jalyn.

1 hour ago, Stan39 said:

I think you’re right. Still in Dallas and still probably a plus to have employees who made it to DCC training camp. I would think. 

Someone posted in this thread or one of the others that in Dallas it's beneficial for some types of businesses to have a DCC on staff: cosmetic surgeons, dentists, dance studios, fitness centers, etc. But I don't think it's an across-the-board advantage. To be blunt I think it's mostly businesses that benefit from having fit and attractive women on staff that would be willing to accommodate the DCC schedule. Those and businesses run by people who are uber fans of the Cowboys. I'm not sure that would be the case for the SMU football program. In fact it could be a detriment. From what I gather from Malena's meeting with Kelli, Malena's employers already let her know they expect the SMU job to be the priority. If I were them, I wouldn't re-hire an employee who quit because pursuing another job (a hobby really) was more important to her. The team at SMU probably isn't used to playing second fiddle.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 4

I forgot to mention how even more annoying to me Melissa Rycroft was in the episode. Her lips are not natural looking at all. She needs to get that filler out and try again. She was really pretty before so why did she go and mess with that? The enemy of good is better.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

I've never liked Maddie. I think part of it is I find it uncomfortable watching her doing overtly sexual dances when to me she looks about 14. There's just something...try hard in her dancing that I don't like but I can't explain. some dancers the dance seems effortless, its something that's an extension of them, that's entirely nnatural, and Maddie comes across like she's having to constantly prove something and I just don't find her technique that great. in terms of watchability, she's not who I would opt to watch

100% feel the same way.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

I can not name a single TC who is more immature, unprofessional and undisciplined as Victoria is right now. That is ignoring her weight problem and clunky and shaky dancing. Denise called it, this isn't her year and she should be cut. I also think Malena should have been cut before Lindsey or Jasmine. 

I’m surprised they showed Denise commenting negatively on her, although they did put the main discussion as an extra scene. We saw Travis’ positive remarks. I really want to know what Michelle Keys and what the show group judges said about VK, but we didn’t get to see either of those discussions. I wonder if they were negative as well. 

8 hours ago, blairwaldorf said:

I thought she was really good too. She came alive! In the DCC style, she needs more power. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

Interesting that Kelli can pronounce Khalyn correctly, but not Jalyn.

Someone posted in this thread or one of the others that in Dallas it's beneficial for some types of businesses to have a DCC on staff: cosmetic surgeons, dentists, dance studios, fitness centers, etc. But I don't think it's an across-the-board advantage. To be blunt I think it's mostly businesses that benefit from having fit and attractive women on staff that would be willing to accommodate the DCC schedule. Those and businesses run by people who are uber fans of the Cowboys. I'm not sure that would be the case for the SMU football program. In fact it could be a detriment. From what I gather from Malena's meeting with Kelli, Malena's employers already let her know they expect the SMU job to be the priority. If I were them, I wouldn't re-hire an employee who quit because pursuing another job (a hobby really) was more important to her. The team at SMU probably isn't used to playing second fiddle.

She can't pronounce Malena either, or even remember it.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

I’m surprised they showed Denise commenting negatively on her, although they did put the main discussion as an extra scene. We saw Travis’ positive remarks. I really want to know what Michelle Keys and what the show group judges said about VK, but we didn’t get to see either of those discussions. I wonder if they were negative as well. 

I thought she was really good too. She came alive! In the DCC style, she needs more power. 

Well...she didn't get invited so probably. 

• Love 1
On 9/13/2018 at 10:53 PM, Cappuccinagina said:

Oh Victoria. Show Group???? *winces because she’s gonna get dragged on here* I like her as a dancer but we gotta stop act so cutesy but she IS a fresh outta high school girl. I get it but she needs to be more aware of how she comes across. 

It still amazes me that she's just out of high school because, I'm sorry, she looks rough, more like she's late-20's.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, AAEBoiler said:

It still amazes me that she's just out of high school because, I'm sorry, she looks rough, more like she's late-20's.

I think it's the makeup.  I always thought the Rockettes looked a heck of a lot older than they are, but to see them off stage in their regular every day makeup they look like the 20-somethings that they are.

• Love 6

I agree.  Look at the squads in the 90s.  The 90s were not kind - everyone looked to be at least 37 years old.  If VK toned down her hair and makeup she'd look much younger.  She doesn't look aged to me, she just looks older because of the way she puts herself together.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I feel like you have read my mind, especially with Maddie, Cersten and Melissa.

While I do like Melissa’s academic and work accomplishments, I feel like those three’s solos were ? tricks, and I cannot wrap my mind around how un-DCC Maddie is with her look, weight, and terrible technique. Every time I post something about Cersten lying, I it gets deleted, so I’ll just agree with you on tons of tricks.

Erica became lather, rinse, repeat with her solos, but she did connect her moves well and is very fluid, same goes for Lacey. 

But yes - some of those who are very “impressive” here are just meh to me. 

Maddie is so not my cup of tea either. I also agree with your assessment of the others. This year it looked like Gina’s solo was badass, and I would’ve loved to have seen more of Tess. Her costume brought me in... so alluring. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I agree.  Look at the squads in the 90s.  The 90s were not kind - everyone looked to be at least 37 years old.  If VK toned down her hair and makeup she'd look much younger.  She doesn't look aged to me, she just looks older because of the way she puts herself together.

I find this is true across sooooo many of the DCC. they wear so much foundation, really packed on makeup and then full eyes and it's so aging. the girls all end up looking a good decade older than they are and would probably be barely recognisable without all the full-coverage foundation. its a studio of estee lauder double wear, I swear!

• Love 5
14 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

Dayton just came alive during that hip hop dance, it was totally in her wheelhouse and she looked so happy and exciting to watch.
Vk''s behaviour when she was in the office, the way she was like 'I really wanted show group' ust to me came off whiny, and childish, as though she was entirely expecting Kelli to cave and put her in show group if she just whined a bit and shrugged and acted like a ten year old.  all the over the top expressions and draping herself over the table...ugh. TCC is an extended job interview and she was acting unprofessionally to say the least.

I found it very enlightening that VK thought she should be in SG, but Hannah (who can dance circles around many of the TCC), was stunned to make it.  I love Hannah’s humility and her story, and am so happy that she has made it this far.

• Love 18
37 minutes ago, Christineelgene said:

I found it very enlightening that VK thought she should be in SG, but Hannah (who can dance circles around many of the TCC), was stunned to make it.  I love Hannah’s humility and her story, and am so happy that she has made it this far.

I heard VK say "I'm disappointed I didn't make it," not that she thought she should have made it.  That's two different things to me.  I'm always disappointed my dog and I don't qualify in a trial, but it's not because I thought we should have.  It's because we didn't do as well as we know we can.  I'm just glad it's not 1692 or else VK would have already been burned at the stake.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

I think thats a massive simplification of why people don't like VK. I had no idea her mother had said that and I find VK obnoxious and immature, far too much so to make the team this year or even the next.  she has a lot of growing up to do. even for the oh so often touted 'but she's only 18' she's an immature 18. we've had plenty of TCC and DCC at that age that are far more polished in their behaviour. she has the potential to be a great dancer, but she needs more control and needs critique not constant praise. she's always so shocked when she hears negative feedback adn then does nothing with it. her behaviour in the office is miles apart from any other girl, its unprofessional and childish. can VK dance? without question. is she in dire need of real feedback and actually implementing it? even more so

The fact that just bec she has personality means she's automatically obnoxious is ridiculous . I would take her any day over the stale white bread that 99% of DCC. Also, in my opinion being terrified and only being able to say than "Yes ma'am" and is more immature than expressing yourself even if it's not necessarily in the right way. All the other girls behaviour isn't necessarily great to her being different is bad. 

Edited by mmm
  • Love 5
39 minutes ago, Christineelgene said:

I think its normal for most of hte girls to want to make SG, what I found distasteful with VK was that she seemed to expect it, rather than wish for it, esp as while it's no guarantee, its pretty indicative of you making the squad if you make SG, and so not getting SG meant she still wasn't top 36 which constanly shocks her.  she needs at least another year to grow up, to learn to actually hear critique and implement it and then come back because right now she's not remotely ready.  dayton has a more mature personality, but she needs to bring more power to the DCC style, find her niche in that, dance it the way she did the hip hop and so she's not ready either. both have the potential to be good additions to DCC (dayton in the calendar would be a knockout) but theyre not ready for different reasons

• Love 3
1 minute ago, mmm said:

The fact that just bec she has personality she's automatically obnoxious. I would take her any day over the stale white bread that 99% of DCC. Also, in my opinion being terrified and only being able to say than "Yes ma'am" and is more immature than expressing yourself even if it's not necessarily right way. All the other girls behaviour isn't necessarily great to her being different is bad. 

personality does not under any circumstance have to equal obnoxious. I find her personality obnoxious. you can be outgoing and be lighthearted and not come across as entitled and attention seeking. the rest of the DCC isn't being immature when saying 'yes ma'am or no ma'am' a) its the south and b) the fact that every season, every girl says that and only that, is highly suggestive that that's literally what they're instructed to say, it's how they're meant to address K and J.  when I skated I had a coach where you were told the only acceptable answers were 'yes' and 'no' regardless of what abuse was being hurled at you. the dance world has its foibles and that is one of them

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

personality does not under any circumstance have to equal obnoxious. I find her personality obnoxious. you can be outgoing and be lighthearted and not come across as entitled and attention seeking. the rest of the DCC isn't being immature when saying 'yes ma'am or no ma'am' a) its the south and b) the fact that every season, every girl says that and only that, is highly suggestive that that's literally what they're instructed to say, it's how they're meant to address K and J.  when I skated I had a coach where you were told the only acceptable answers were 'yes' and 'no' regardless of what abuse was being hurled at you. the dance world has its foibles and that is one of them

Former dancer so I know how abusive coaches and instructors that doesn't mean it's right or it should continue . I also find it weird and makes laugh when people on this board say attention seeking about girls as negative it's literally a part of job description of any performer. You wouldn't pick dancing as a career if you don't like attention. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mmm said:

Former dancer so I know how abusive coaches and instructors that doesn't mean it's right or it should continue . I also find it weird and makes laugh when people on this board say attention seeking about girls as negative it's literally a part of job description of any performer. You wouldn't pick dancing as a career if you don't like attention. 

I think people are so used to the yes ma’ams and whatever you say Kelli, that when they see someone like Victoria who speaks to Kelli differently, people freak. I’m not a huge fan of Victoria and found her last office visit to be borderline obnoxious, but it’s obvious she’s comfortable with Kelli. Moreso than others, and that will show in their interactions.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

I think people are so used to the yes ma’ams and whatever you say Kelli, that when they see someone like Victoria who speaks to Kelli differently, people freak. I’m not a huge fan of Victoria and found her last office visit to be borderline obnoxious, but it’s obvious she’s comfortable with Kelli. Moreso than others, and that will show in their interactions.

I don't think people are 'freaking' I think they'e pointing out that it literally doesn't matter that VK knows Kelli. she isn't speaking to the family friend in these contexts, she's speaking with her potential employer and therefore should be held to the same standards of 'respect' that the others have to show. if the others have to be all yes and no ma'am, then so should VK.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

I don't think people are 'freaking' I think they'e pointing out that it literally doesn't matter that VK knows Kelli. she isn't speaking to the family friend in these contexts, she's speaking with her potential employer and therefore should be held to the same standards of 'respect' that the others have to show. if the others have to be all yes and no ma'am, then so should VK.

Yes, agreed. but that’s really up to Kelli to enforce. Kelli manages to treat Dayton like everyone else but has a totally different persona with VK, taking throwback pictures, aww-ing at her falling out of turns,    etc, and this is just what we’ve seen. I dont even want to know what’s been said to her behind the scenes. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

Oh, there are definitely some people who are freaking. ? I was taken aback by how she speaks to Kelli.... it’s just not what we are used to.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I heard VK say "I'm disappointed I didn't make it," not that she thought she should have made it.  That's two different things to me.  I'm always disappointed my dog and I don't qualify in a trial, but it's not because I thought we should have.  It's because we didn't do as well as we know we can.  I'm just glad it's not 1692 or else VK would have already been burned at the stake.

IIRC she said “I’m disappointed in myself cause I really wanted show group”.   As in she wished she had done better at the audition so she would have made it.   So worst case she believed that if she had done better at auditions she would have made it, she didn’t seem to believe that she SHOULD have made it.

She also didn’t come in an blurt all this out in a tantrum, she was asked multiple times what was bothering her and finally admitted it.

And 5 rookies made SG - out of how many?  What is that 1 out of every 4 at the least.  It’s not out of line for a rookie to think they can make it if they have a strong dance background and do well at the audition - VK has been dancing and competing her entire life, hasn’t she?   It’s not like she just started dancing a year or two ago or was a competition cheerleader as her background. 

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Christineelgene said:

Hannah also has been trying out for DCC for 4 seasons and never made it to TC until this season.   Being that they didn’t like her enough to even bring her into TC until now, she’s actually correct to be stunned that she made SG.  At least VK made TC her first try.

I bet there is a strong correlation with girls who make TC on their first attempt and getting show group - I know there are exceptions like Kelli Q., etc. but usually girls who take a while to get into TC and/or make the team (Auto Amy, Christina, 50 yard line Kelsey, Brennan) aren’t the strongest of dancers/candidates.   Some blossom once they get in and are exceptions, etc., but in general that’s that pattern w/ any tryout system - sports, etc. people who are a clear “yes!” at the tryout are just stronger.

Edited by MyFavShows
9 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

Hannah also has been trying out for DCC for 4 seasons and never made it to TC until this season.   Being that they didn’t like her enough to even bring her into TC until now, she’s actually correct to be stunned that she made SG.  At least VK made TC her first try.

I bet there is a strong correlation with girls who make TC on their first attempt and getting show group - I know there are exceptions like Kelli Q., etc. but usually girls who take a while to get into TC and/or make the team (Auto Amy, Christina, 50 yard line Kelsey, Brennan) aren’t the strongest of dancers/candidates.   Some blossom once they get in and are exceptions, etc., but in general that’s that pattern w/ any tryout system - sports, etc. people who are a clear “yes!” at the tryout are just stronger.

I can’t believe Hannah has tried out 4 times. She’s just amazing this year.

Even Kitty said she didn’t understand how Kelli Sullivan didn’t make it before she did! So crazy.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

I can’t believe Hannah has tried out 4 times. She’s just amazing this year.

Even Kitty said she didn’t understand how Kelli Sullivan didn’t make it before she did! So crazy.

Given the considerable bias towards VK by Charlotte and Kelli, it's a bit much to say Hannah can't really be all that good if it took her four tries but VK only one.  There is no way of knowing if she made it because she deserved it or because of who her mother is and her relationship to Kelli

• Love 6

Does everyone try out for show group? I would think that "regular" people have jobs, school, etc. Games and the practices for them, are time consuming enough.  Having extra appearances, etc., while a great opportunity, isn't feasible for most? 

Although, I can see as a rookie, it may looked frowned upon, if you didn't audition for SG....

11 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

She can't pronounce Malena either, or even remember it.

I know they put that in as a silly, cute, moment.  But it is never a good sign when they can't even bother to learn your name.  My terrible SIL was like this thinking it was "funny" that her kids could not remember my kids' names.  I thought, no that is sad.  

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Mardo2044 said:

I know they put that in as a silly, cute, moment.  But it is never a good sign when they can't even bother to learn your name.  My terrible SIL was like this thinking it was "funny" that her kids could not remember my kids' names.  I thought, no that is sad.  

For me I found it uncomfortable that she can remember every white girls name, even some of the more weird ones, but the name she apparently struggles with is a)that of one of the very few ladies of colour and b)not a difficult or strange name. I know sometimes people can just have a blindspot with something, but for me it came off less 'silly and cute' and more uncomfortable

Edited by CaseyRe
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, CaseyRe said:

Given the considerable bias towards VK by Charlotte and Kelli, it's a bit much to say Hannah can't really be all that good if it took her four tries but VK only one.  There is no way of knowing if she made it because she deserved it or because of who her mother is and her relationship to Kelli

I didn’t say that.... my post actually didn’t mention Victoria at all, so not really sure what your post has to do with mine. ?‍♀️

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

I didn’t say that.... my post actually didn’t mention Victoria at all, so not really sure what your post has to do with mine. ?‍♀️

i was responding to @myfavshows and hit the wrong post, apologies

• Love 1
On 9/14/2018 at 11:33 AM, MyFavShows said:

I also don’t think the only end goal ever for VK was DCC - she probably had professional dancing type of aspirations when younger.   I bet her DCC story transformed as she got closer to graduation and it seemed like an easier goal to achieve out of high school - one that came along w/ some instant fame from the show and kept her close to home (assuming TK lives in Dallas).

VK's been immersed in the DCC culture since birth, so it well may have been all she's dreamed of. In the last episode that showed Cassie as a DCC, she mentioned that she was 23 years old and had already accomplished everything she'd ever wanted.  Not that being a DCC isn't an incredible accomplishment, but I still thought that was sad.

On 9/15/2018 at 7:26 AM, DCC.Style.fan said:

I am going to take a moment to give a shout out to Judy's hair!    It is always gorgeous, but I especially loved the way she did her hair on the day of show group auditions. I have never seen it wavy with so much waves and curls and I loved it!

That woman is a gorgeous freak of nature, I swear.

On 9/15/2018 at 12:22 PM, kerrieway said:

And at least Cassie could dance, tumble, and control her weight. 

Since she didn't get the gorgeous hair and face genes, it's nice she at least got the skinny ones.

******************************************************************************************

Does anyone have any idea why Charlotte is so rah, rah, VK?  She's the only person in the DCC realm who doesn't have to kowtow to anyone so does she truly think she's all that and a bag of chips?

Edited by Pink-n-Green
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

And 5 rookies made SG - out of how many?  What is that 1 out of every 4 at the least.  

This is an interesting stat that I noticed too!  It seemed very high to me.   I viewed it as a weaker dance pool from the veterans compared to other years and a strong rookie class.  But I am curious... how many rookies made it in previous seasons?  I remember one year Olivia P with red hair made it to SG rookie season and they made it a very big deal, like it was an exception to the rule.  After that it always seemed to me that a couple would make it.

12 minutes ago, Pink-n-Green said:

Does anyone have any idea why Charlotte is so rah, rah, VK?  She's the only person in the DCC realm who doesn't have to kowtow to anyone so does she truly think she's all that and a bag of chips?

I think someone posted her dad owns the business group that does the restaurants on Dallas Cowboys properties.  Can someone confirm or specify?  Something like that.

• Love 1
On 9/16/2018 at 6:07 AM, jlc said:

is Denise looking at Kelli like WTF? I wonder if Denise will come back after Kelli turned her into the bad guy and totally dismissed her opinion s.

Yes, I think she will because she is paid for her choreo and to provide her technical opinion.  whether a client chooses to listen to that opinion or not is their issue.  That said, it would be annoying as all heck!

• Love 3