Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

There won't be any hook-ups involving Carol, I'm afraid, because I'm sure TPTB assume no one will want to see a gray-haired lady having sex.  Only those will young, hard bodies need apply for that.  In the eyes of Hollywood, Carol will be always sexless.

And with the start of Richonne, I'm now leaning towards Glenn getting to meet Lucille close up and personal.  They only need one couple involving major characters in action at a time for the shippers to be happy.  So Glaggie will be redundant.  So either Maggie or Glenn can be offed by the writers now.  Sucks, but there it is.

There won't be any hook-ups involving Carol, I'm afraid, because I'm sure TPTB assume no one will want to see a gray-haired lady having sex.  Only those will young, hard bodies need apply for that.  In the eyes of Hollywood, Carol will be always sexless.

And with the start of Richonne, I'm now leaning towards Glenn getting to meet Lucille close up and personal.  They only need one couple involving major characters in action at a time for the shippers to be happy.  So Glaggie will be redundant.  So either Maggie or Glenn can be offed by the writers now.  Sucks, but there it is.

I think you're right.  Carol will remain a sexless being.  That's too bad.  I was never quite on the Caryl ship, but I'd like to see her paired with someone nice and decent (who treats her well) at some point.  The poor woman had a terrible husband and lost her daughter in the most awful way.   She has become such a strong, feisty, resourceful woman.

Maybe Richonne will be a ship that sinks quickly.  I'd like them together, I think, but maybe it will end up that they realize they just acted out of desperation and then both shut each other out (physically and romantically) after that, or realize it was a mistake or something.

I think with Glenn, there's no other character who embodies the kind of shining beacon of goodness, decency and hope that Glenn represents. His death in the comics really is the death of innocence for the series, as weird as that sounds given all the crazy shit that had already happened in the comics by that point. In my opinion, no other character's death would pack the same sort of punch, and no other character is as likely to meet the business end of Lucille. Morgan also represents optimism, but in many ways his character is more ambiguous than Glenn; he lost his innocence a long time ago and only reached his current pacifist philosophy through a prolonged moral struggle. I also doubt fans would shed many tears over Morgan's death at this point, given the number of fans gleefully hoping Carol would shank his useless ass in the midseason finale. As for Daryl, it is true that he's a fan favourite whose death would elicit much fan grief and who seems to have run out of plot and character arc, suggesting that getting murdered by Negan in the near future would be a natural ending point, but again, he's a more ambiguous figure than Glenn; he lacks Glenn's sweet optimism.

My money's on Glenn. I don't think it can be anyone else.

Daryl and/or Morgan could still die by season's end, of course. I just don't think it will be death by Lucille.

I agree that it's unlikely that Carol will get a love interest, even though I've joked about Carol/Morgan hatesex. I'm pretty sure Daryl/Carol will never be a thing in the show, beyond what it already is (tight platonic bond).

Edited by Eyes High

Ugh....I can't believe they are going to do the Richonne thing.  It's like waiting for my favorite character to be assassinated because we all know by now these writers cannot do relationships, and the women are the causalities.  It makes me sick what will happen to Michonne's character.  Glorified babysitter and Rick supporter here we come!

I agree 100%.  I'm so disappointed because it looks like Michonne is going to get stuck being a ComicAndrea substitute and ComicMichonne's much more interesting role will probably be handed to Gimple's favourite, Carol.  I can't believe that they think that the man who decided to hand Michonne over to the Governor to be raped and tortured to death would make a suitable lover for Michonne.

There goes one of the most iconic characters on TV.

Has anyone seen the further details about how Richonne finally becomes a thing on Sunday?  I only found a few extra details on the Spoil the Dead site, but apparently it all stems from the passing of the mints.   There is a discussion about toothpaste -- maybe at the beginning of the episode?  Then, the mints enter the picture later on, in the absence of toothpaste... and the magic happens.... supposedly.

I agree 100%.  I'm so disappointed because it looks like Michonne is going to get stuck being a ComicAndrea substitute and ComicMichonne's much more interesting role will probably be handed to Gimple's favourite, Carol.  I can't believe that they think that the man who decided to hand Michonne over to the Governor to be raped and tortured to death would make a suitable lover for Michonne.

There goes one of the most iconic characters on TV.

Not saying anything spoilery for the comics, but I was so looking forward to Michonne's storyline after all this stuff comes to fruition.  She really comes into her own and that isn't going to happen being Rick's Lori.

And if they are just doing this so that Michonne gets Glenn's death I will stop watching the show.  That was one of the theories here at work and the more I think about it, the more I think they could sub a woman like Michonne or Carol.

Seems to me, they've established enough of a friendship, partnership and being each other's equals that Michonne doesn't have to become either pseudo!Lori or psuedo!Andrea.  Sex doesn't have to change everything between them. To me, the only thing sex does is establish that these two are now a couple and they are formally family Richonne.  Interlopers begone!

• Love 5

Not saying anything spoilery for the comics, but I was so looking forward to Michonne's storyline after all this stuff comes to fruition.  She really comes into her own and that isn't going to happen being Rick's Lori.

And if they are just doing this so that Michonne gets Glenn's death I will stop watching the show.  That was one of the theories here at work and the more I think about it, the more I think they could sub a woman like Michonne or Carol.

I think the whole point of Comic Rick/Andrea was that Andrea was the anti-Lori: loyal, tough, smart, and competent. I don't think Rick and Michonne forming a romantic relationship--although for all we know, TV Rick/Michonne could just be a casual or even one-time thing--would somehow transform Michonne into Rick's "Lori." Comic Andrea didn't lose her edge when she hooked up with Rick. Furthermore, there has been speculation that Michonne and Rick will hook up in the comics as well; it's platonic at the moment, not to mention that Rick is already paired off and Comic Michonne is not into white guys as far as we know, but they do love each other deeply.

I don't think a woman will get the Lucille treatment, much less Michonne or Carol. A few showrunners ago, maybe, given the way female characters were once written, but now? Not so much. I expect that the brouhaha over gratuitous violence against female characters that deviated from the source material on Game of Thrones would be warning the showrunners off as well. The TWD showrunners know very well that their draw, both for the audience and for critics on the hunt for sexism in television, is Strong Female Characters, i.e. the flinty, competent badasses Michonne and Carol. (Sasha, Rosita, etc. can clearly handle themselves, but they're not as prominent as Carol and Michonne.) They also give the audience what it wants. The audience wants powerful ladies kicking ass. The audience wants Richonne. The audience wants Beast Mode Carol.

They're not going to have either of their most popular Strong Female Characters' brains splattered every which way by an evil patriarch demonstrating his dominance. No sir, no how. Michonne and/or Carol could die at any moment, for sure, but they're not going out that way, mark my words.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2

Seems to me, they've established enough of a friendship, partnership and being each other's equals that Michonne doesn't have to become either pseudo!Lori or psuedo!Andrea. Sex doesn't have to change everything between them. To me, the only thing sex does is establish that these two are now a couple and they are formally family Richonne. Interlopers begone!

This is how I think it should be and I hope it is this way. There is no reason for us to lose the person Michonne is, just because she is having sex with Rick.

• Love 3

I think the whole point of Comic Rick/Andrea was that Andrea was the anti-Lori: loyal, tough, smart, and competent. I don't think Rick and Michonne forming a romantic relationship--although for all we know, TV Rick/Michonne could just be a casual or even one-time thing--would somehow transform Michonne into Rick's "Lori." Comic Andrea didn't lose her edge when she hooked up with Rick. Furthermore, there has been speculation that Michonne and Rick will hook up in the comics as well; it's platonic at the moment, not to mention that Rick is already paired off and Comic Michonne is not into white guys as far as we know, but they do love each other deeply.

I don't think a woman will get the Lucille treatment, much less Michonne or Carol. A few showrunners ago, maybe, given the way female characters were once written, but now? Not so much. I expect that the brouhaha over gratuitous violence against female characters that deviated from the source material on Game of Thrones would be warning the showrunners off as well. The TWD showrunners know very well that their draw, both for the audience and for critics on the hunt for sexism in television, is Strong Female Characters, i.e. the flinty, competent badasses Michonne and Carol. (Sasha, Rosita, etc. can clearly handle themselves, but they're not as prominent as Carol and Michonne.) They also give the audience what it wants. The audience wants powerful ladies kicking ass. The audience wants Richonne. The audience wants Beast Mode Carol.

They're not going to have either of their most popular Strong Female Characters' brains splattered every which way by an evil patriarch demonstrating his dominance. No sir, no how. Michonne and/or Carol could die at any moment, for sure, but they're not going out that way, mark my words.

Totally agree with this. I don't think they would be stupid enough to have a survive of domestic abuse who learned not only to defend herself but those she cares about, be beating to death. I don't even mind if Carol die but that would be the end of TWD for me. That would cross a line that I don't think should ever be cross. As for Michonne, they wouldn't be stupid enough to have a warrior like her end this way.

So to me, it's going to be a man because I don't see the writers using any of the women this way.

Holy sweet hell, Richonne is happening!!! It's actually happening!!

I'm not afraid they're going to ruin Michonne. It is possible for a female character to hook up with the lead and still retain her edge. Michonne has been consistently awesome throughout the whole show; I doubt she's going to suddenly get whiny and stupid just because she's finally getting some. Remember, she isn't Lori (thank God).

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3

My past observations of The Spoiling Dead Fans is that their spoilers are extremely accurate. If you read their posts back several months, you will see that they have nailed nearly everything that has occurred, Generally, if they are not sure of what's in an episode, they will say that they haven't been able to confirm.

• Love 2

If the details of "the mint scene" are accurate (and the build up to the mints with the toothpaste talk earlier in the episode), then it sounds quite cute the way Richonne finally happens.  It's not like an angry argument that erupts into fiery passion, but more like one of those realistic, quiet, 'down time' moments, when things can just happen out of the blue.  I'm looking forward to it -- unfortunately, we will probably only see a few seconds of the interlude but it'll be sweet.  I think that the time jump would have felt better if Jessie had died in the MSF last year rather than just a few days ago (on our TVs), but it didn't go that way... so Richonne is on!!!

Edited by Sherry67

Glad all the shippers are happy, but seriously, Rick and Michonne just is something that will ruin not only both characters, but huge portions of the next episodes.

I hate it when shows bring in couples to either have "couples around" or to satisfy a group of fans or have female viewers or whatever reasons. Rick and Michonne ooze a deep friendship, platonic soulmates, deep respect, but nothing sexual there, it may very well turn out contrived and forced. I see Daryl/Carol on just the same level, cute for some but ultimately unnecessary and illogical and not doing much besides having "couple"-moments on the screen.
With Jessie gone I had the hope that they would let things go with the flow, but apparently theirs is that Rick, no matter what, needs a woman at his side. Heck, wy not pair him with Daryl while we're at it, those two have a deep bromance too lol, would be just as bizarre as with Michonne.

• Love 1

Maybe Richonne will be a ship that sinks quickly.  I'd like them together, I think, but maybe it will end up that they realize they just acted out of desperation and then both shut each other out (physically and romantically) after that, or realize it was a mistake or something.

Or Michonne will be killed for Rick's man pain.

I fear for Michonne. I'm just waiting for her to be deader than a walker with an ax to the head.

Glad all the shippers are happy, but seriously, Rick and Michonne just is something that will ruin not only both characters, but huge portions of the next episodes.

I hate it when shows bring in couples to either have "couples around" or to satisfy a group of fans or have female viewers or whatever reasons. Rick and Michonne ooze a deep friendship, platonic soulmates, deep respect, but nothing sexual there, it may very well turn out contrived and forced. I see Daryl/Carol on just the same level, cute for some but ultimately unnecessary and illogical and not doing much besides having "couple"-moments on the screen.

With Jessie gone I had the hope that they would let things go with the flow, but apparently theirs is that Rick, no matter what, needs a woman at his side. Heck, wy not pair him with Daryl while we're at it, those two have a deep bromance too lol, would be just as bizarre as with Michonne.

I think the distinction between the randomness of Richonne becoming romantic versus Caryl becoming romantic is that Daryl could plausibly be read as asexual, while Michonne is definitely attracted to men (and possibly women too if you read Andrea/Michonne that way).

Also, Rick in canon at least is (boringly) straight, as plentiful as the slash fic about Shane and Rick's tortured relationship is, so I think Rick/Daryl is off the menu.

The other thing that bugs me about Rick and Michonne staying platonic admittedly has nothing to do with the characters themselves and more about the uncomfortable connotations of a black woman meekly assuming the role of Carl's nanny and Rick's devoted, wifely supporter without seeking anything in return or having any status of her own, while Rick goes off to slobber over some white lady. Black Michonne selflessly becoming the servant to a white family and caregiver to a white child in particular gives off an extremely unpleasant Mammy vibe. With the show focusing so much on Michonne as Carl's protector and as Rick's supporter without having any other relationships of her own at present (as opposed to Comic Morgan/Michonne), there's also a bit of a Magical Negro vibe, with otherwise badass Michonne seeking only to be useful to white Rick and Carl for no other reason than she cares about them. To be fair, this doesn't appear to have been the case in the comics, where Michonne and Carl don't have that kind of relationship and where Michonne has her own shit going on that has nothing to do with nurturing Carl, but in the show, having Michonne and Rick in an official, public relationship as boyfriend/girlfriend or even as husband/wife, where Michonne does have status as his romantic partner, might offset some of the unfortunate connotations of the way Michonne's storyline has gone in the show. 

...Of course, if Michonne and Rick only hook up on the sly and Michonne remains Rick's secret sidepiece, that will engender a whole other host of problematic issues, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Honestly, if it weren't for writing Michonne as Carl's mother figure, which as far as I can tell is a show-only thing (along with rewriting Comic Michonne's backstory to accommodate a son), I would have fewer problems with keeping Rick/Michonne platonic. The writers chose to do things this way, though, and having Rick/Michonne be romantic seems to be the best way of fixing it.

I also admit that I'm looking forward to the inevitable furor over blowback from racist fans losing their minds over "political correctness run amok" when the white male alpha lead of a very popular show is romantically paired off with a dark-skinned black woman. (Not to say that not liking Richonne is automatically racist, but you can bet that there are going to be some fans frothing at the mouth about how romantic Richonne is "politically correct garbage.") Twitter's going to be insane.

By contrast, there's nothing ooky about Daryl and Carol staying platonic, because, well, they're both white. Even if Sophia had lived and Daryl were providing unpaid childcare to Carol out of love for both Sophia and Carol, it wouldn't read the same way.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 3

Ahahahahahahah yes!! RICHONNE IS REAL.  I have been waiting for this from the moment they met at that fence.

FUCK YEAH, RICHONNE! 

Haha.  I immediately thought of you when I read this spoiler.

I'm not going to worry about the long term effect.  I'm just going to enjoy the episode.  I've learned to live like our heroes, one day at a time in the ZA.

There are 101 reasons to love Rick & Michonne.  101, you guys.

• Love 2

I think the distinction between the randomness of Richonne becoming romantic versus Caryl becoming romantic is that Daryl could plausibly be read as asexual, while Michonne is definitely attracted to men (and possibly women too if you read Andrea/Michonne that way).

Also, Rick in canon at least is (boringly) straight, as plentiful as the slash fic about Shane and Rick's tortured relationship is, so I think Rick/Daryl is off the menu.

The other thing that bugs me about Rick and Michonne staying platonic admittedly has nothing to do with the characters themselves and more about the uncomfortable connotations of a black woman meekly assuming the role of Carl's nanny and Rick's devoted, wifely supporter without seeking anything in return or having any status of her own, while Rick goes off to slobber over some white lady. Black Michonne selflessly becoming the servant to a white family and caregiver to a white child in particular gives off an extremely unpleasant Mammy vibe. With the show focusing so much on Michonne as Carl's protector and as Rick's supporter without having any other relationships of her own at present (as opposed to Comic Morgan/Michonne), there's also a bit of a Magical Negro vibe, with otherwise badass Michonne seeking only to be useful to white Rick and Carl for no other reason than she cares about them. To be fair, this doesn't appear to have been the case in the comics, where Michonne and Carl don't have that kind of relationship and where Michonne has her own shit going on that has nothing to do with nurturing Carl, but in the show, having Michonne and Rick in an official, open relationship as boyfriend/girlfriend or even as husband/wife, where Michonne does have status as his romantic partner, might offset some of the unfortunate connotations of the way Michonne's storyline has gone in the show. 

...Of course, if Michonne and Rick only hook up on the sly and Michonne remains Rick's secret sidepiece, that will engender a whole other host of problematic issues, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

By contrast, there's nothing ooky about Daryl and Carol staying platonic, because, well, they're both white. Even if Sophia had lived and Daryl were providing unpaid childcare to Carol out of love for both Sophia and Carol, it wouldn't read the same way.

Wow ok, I never read it as in a black woman/white man type of situation, probably because over here where I live that is never a problem, or rather was never a problem historically speaking and still isn't, so it's just as normal as white/white and black/black but now that I read it, I can see where you are coming from, if you go by that angle. But honestly, I think that is just coincidence, just like the "killing one black guy" the second another arrived, it happened because the writers sometimes do not think further than their little brains lol.

The problem is, Michonne being a friend and protecting the kids is the same as when Daryl or Carol do it, the second Rick and her get the smoochies going, that dynamic will change and it may very well become some sort of "new mommy/caretaker" situation. And, if my memory serves me right, wasn't she a housemom before the apocalypse, she may turn into Lori 2.0, yelling at other women for going on watchduty instead of cooking Though I think that would cost them a lot of fans, whether they ship Richonne or not.

Wow ok, I never read it as in a black woman/white man type of situation, probably because over here where I live that is never a problem, or rather was never a problem historically speaking and still isn't, so it's just as normal as white/white and black/black but now that I read it, I can see where you are coming from, if you go by that angle. But honestly, I think that is just coincidence, just like the "killing one black guy" the second another arrived, it happened because the writers sometimes do not think further than their little brains lol.

I would agree it is a coincidence if it didn't keep happening over and over again, even on shows that are built around romantic relationships. That's why there has been a lot of criticism over the way the writers handled Michonne's story on the show because people feared that she would act as wife and mother of Rick's children without the benefits of having his heart as her man. While he goes around having romantic relationship. This is a repeated pattern that people feared would happen and wanted the writers to stop if they weren't willing to go all the way with Richonne cause it would hurt to see this pattern repeated, especially when Michonne has her own storyline that could have saved her from this fate.

This is also why even fans of this couple are surprise by this development, because they didn't expect TWD to be the show that break this pattern.

By contrast, there's nothing ooky about Daryl and Carol staying platonic, because, well, they're both white.

There is definitely something ooky about Daryl and Carol staying platonic because it feeds in to the trope that once a woman gets gray hair, she's done being thought as a sexual being.  Like Carol needs to stop being a sexual woman and just be content to raise other peoples' kids and cook and clean.  You know - the jobs Lori thought were appropriate to the "fairer sex".  Carol should be more than just somebody's nanny.  But Hollywood is too enamored of celebrating youth, so Carol is screwed.  Only she's not, because she's "too old" for sex.  So she'll stay in ASZ and take care of Judith and cook casseroles for other people to eat.

Ageism is just as alive and well as racism.  And just as big a problem.

• Love 9

That could be it for Tara. But by this time in the filming her portrayer, Alana Masterson, was very pregnant. So this could be the maternity leave.

I wondered why she was gaining weight!!! It all makes sese now!

Could not have said it better myself. I feel exactly the same way. I hope it doesn't ruin the show for me. Rick and Michonne make zero sense, and Carol and Daryl make zero sense. I am afraid it will feel contrived and forced; when it should feel organic and above all make sense. This is really to bad!

• Love 1

I think Richonne is as natural as the sun rising.  His bedside speech to Carl reveals that he finally feels real hope after the battle of Alexandria, so now he's ready to reach for true happiness.  Or maybe they just get drunk and screw, because somebody needs to.  Either way, I'm down for it.  I agree that Daryl and Carol would  just be weird, although I'm sure plenty of other fans would like it.

• Love 4

I think Richonne is as natural as the sun rising. His bedside speech to Carl reveals that he finally feels real hope after the battle of Alexandria, so now he's ready to reach for true happiness. Or maybe they just get drunk and screw, because somebody needs to. Either way, I'm down for it. I agree that Daryl and Carol would just be weird, although I'm sure plenty of other fans would like it.

I'm here for Rick/Michonne in whatever form it takes as well, although I'm really hoping they don't wind up having nothing more than a clandestine hookup relationship.

There is definitely something ooky about Daryl and Carol staying platonic because it feeds in to the trope that once a woman gets gray hair, she's done being thought as a sexual being.

I get what you're saying, but aside from the issue of no icky racial dynamics in Daryl/Carol remaining close platonic friends (no Mammy/Magical Negro issues), it seems like the problem is not with Daryl and Carol staying friends per se, but with Carol not having any other sexual or romantic interests, and I don't think that that's a problem at all for the reasons I'll mention later. Besides, Andrea while she lived had a very active sex life--too active for a lot of fans, I'd say--and Laurie Holden is only four years younger than Melissa McBride (and was 40+ when she was fucking Shane and the Governor), so I think we can acquit the show of blanching from middle-aged women's sexuality. Danai Gurira is not 50 like MM, but despite her youthful good looks she's 38 and no spring chicken, either.

Like Carol needs to stop being a sexual woman and just be content to raise other peoples' kids and cook and clean.

Carol has good character reasons to run away screaming from any kind of intimate relationship with another human being after she went through with Ed. She is a character who is desperate to feel in control of her environment at all costs, and a character like that is unwilling to relinquish any control, show any vulnerability, or do the basic work of admitting sexual/romantic interest in another human being, all of which is a necessary prerequisite for a romantic relationship. It also seems clear that she enjoys an aura of frosty disdain and untouchable competence, which is why Morgan, a character who immediately saw through her pretense of motherly femininity (mistaking her for a cop) and calls her on her shit constantly, gets under her skin. Look at how she treats Morgan, a character who does seem very interested in her, even possibly in a romantic way; she can't stand him, and when he compliments her on her readiness to "handle things," she gives him an icy smile and a Southern "fuck you" ("Aren't you sweet"). There is no question that she trusts Daryl deeply, but look at how prickly she is even with him. And that's fine, but it does tend to rule out any sort of romantic relationship. Carol does appear to prefer that hard-won control and security to a romantic relationship. If she didn't, she would handle herself differently: be a little friendlier, a little more approachable, a little more open, a little more authentic. We've seen Carol turn on the charm with the lady Alexandrians, so she could flirt up a storm if she wanted to do so. Carol is smart enough to know how she appears to other people like Sam and Morgan when she goes into hardass mode, and we have every reason to believe that she prefers it that way. It does Carol a disservice as a character to moan about her lack of a sexual or romantic life without looking at the way the character behaves, and the way Carol behaves is not the way someone remotely interested in a romantic relationship would act.

Also, Carol is a grownass woman who goes after what she wants. If she wanted a roll in the hay with an available, interested man--and I think at this point that Morgan would be game if she asked, since he still seems to care about her even after she tried to murder him--she'd have her pick (apart from Daryl, who shut her down the one time she even joked about the subject with him). Since she hasn't pursued that type of interaction, it's a fair assumption that she doesn't want it, for reasons that have nothing to do with TWD writers finding middle-aged women's sexuality icky.

Finally, some women getting out of abusive long-term relationships lose any interest in romantic relationships or sex. (Even women getting out of lousy but not abusive marriages may enjoy their freedom so much that they have no interest in partnering again.) It's likely that Ed was sexually abusive towards Carol as well as physically abusive. If Carol has lost all interest in romance or sex because of what happened with Ed and finds security and peace in self-imposed celibacy, that's a valid and realistic choice.

As for Daryl, unlike Michonne (who had a boyfriend and a child pre-apocalypse), he has yet to manifest romantic or sexual interest in anyone. He loves Carol deeply, but not in a sexual or romantic way that we can tell, and Carol gets this. Even assuming that Carol would be interested in Daryl if he were up for something, and it's a plausible reading of their interactions that she doesn't feel that way about him and that she only propositioned him the one time to push his buttons, Carol seems to accept that Daryl is not receptive to overtures from her, even joking ones (when he shut down her teasing about fooling around a few seasons ago, she dropped it immediately), and she respects that. It's clear that there's a line in the sand drawn there, and Carol, because she's a caring human being who respects Daryl's boundaries, will never cross it (or even joke about crossing it after Daryl made it clear he didn't appreciate it), even if she wanted to (and there's a lot to suggest that she doesn't feel that way about Daryl in any event). It's fair to say that Daryl/Carol not happening has more to do with the characters themselves than with TWD writers having some horror of middle-aged female sexuality (which doesn't appear to be the case anyway): Carol doesn't want an intimate relationship with anyone, and neither does Daryl.

You know - the jobs Lori thought were appropriate to the "fairer sex". Carol should be more than just somebody's nanny.

The suggestion that Carol is "just somebody's nanny" because she's not fucking some guy is absurd, given, well, everything we've seen of her in Alexandria. She is a one-woman army who almost singlehandedly saved Alexandria from the Wolves and who acts coolly and calmly to terminate threats with extreme prejudice. Although she once happily performed feminine labour with Lori, she now views conventional femininity as a children's game and subtly mocks the Alexandrians with her elaborate pretense of stereotypical feminine helplessness (thus her annoyance when Morgan mistook her for a cop). She will protect Judith, probably so Rick won't murder her for letting Judith get hurt, but she has no interest in children or childcare; she also explicitly rejected a Michonne/Carl-type nurturing role with Sam, and her cold, even cruel interactions with him had disastrous results. Carol is many things, but "just somebody's nanny" she is not.

So she'll stay in ASZ and take care of Judith and cook casseroles for other people to eat.

And shank/shoot anyone who crosses her. And shoo away kids who try to befriend her. And kill anyone she views as a threat. Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 5

The fan base is downright neurotic about sex on this show.

Also, while offenses are being catalogued, I kinda think it's offensive that anyone caring for or loving Judith is seen as some kind of worthless demotion.   Like killing is something special and loving a child is worthless and weak.    

• Love 10

The problem is, Michonne being a friend and protecting the kids is the same as when Daryl or Carol do it, the second Rick and her get the smoochies going, that dynamic will change and it may very well become some sort of "new mommy/caretaker" situation. And, if my memory serves me right, wasn't she a housemom before the apocalypse, she may turn into Lori 2.0, yelling at other women for going on watchduty instead of cooking Though I think that would cost them a lot of fans, whether they ship Richonne or not.

I am really failing to see how the involvement of Rick's penis will turn Michonne into Lori.

Does it have properties that negate the friendship, partnership and love they already share and turns Michonne into someone she has never been? Or that Rick will behave to her in some way that he never has before?

As to Michonne, I thought she was kind of an art dealer or something who worked from home and raised her son with the father and his friend. And now she's basically the same, she is a working mom now and Rick is a working dad. Their jobs just happen to be surviving the ZA and protecting their community...together. 

• Love 5

I think we're safe from Michonne turning into a Lori clone. I think the TWD writers--these days, at least as opposed to back in the Lori/Andrea days--couldn't write a spineless dishrag female character if they tried. TV Rosita, Carol, etc. are tougher and smarter than their comic equivalents. Comic asshole Douglas became benevolent

Deanna, respected by Rick, who while no fighter was brave and who went out like a boss. The TV-only characters like Tara and Sasha are brave and capable. Even TV Jessie had some fight in her that Comic Jessie did not. The fans have spoken, and they want badass ladies; the writers are happy to give the fans what they want.

Bottom line, the treatment of women on this show has been pretty questionable in the past, but it's improved so much, in my opinion, and I love the way the female characters are written. Canon Richonne will make things even better, in my opinion, not bring back the dark days.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 5

I don't consider myself a shipper -- at least not a hardcore shipper -- because I haven't actively been caring about, rooting or hoping for any specific couple to get together on TWD in any season.  But if the show is going to go there with any 2 people, then I hopefully think, "Okay.  Hmm.  Do I like this pairing?  Good for them!  Why not?" 

So, in Richonne's case I think, "Good for them! Why not?"  To me, it kind of makes sense because Michonne was already at the point where she wanted to settle down at Alexandria and make it a home.  She wanted to start to find some normalcy and peace.  She wanted to make it work there, so she was already kind of switching gears.  She and Rick have been very close in a non-sexual way thus far.  They have bonded through horrific circumstances.  They have both lost their own loved ones as well as mutual friends in the group.   And it's not like "dating" as we know it would be the same in that world as it is in our world today.  It's a whole different ballgame.

At the end of the day, Rick and Michonne are two very attractive, fit people -- they are also complex people, and decent people -- who are drawn together because of what they are going through.  And now they are in a location where they would actually like to find some kind of normal life, however they can.  Hell, they're in a place where they can get clean and bake cookies!   They may not actually last as an official couple, but I don't think it's out of the realm of reason for a romp or two to take place.

I think that sex is a natural progression -- and, honestly, I have always thought that in those circumstances a lot of people would be hooking up a lot more often, and a lot faster than what we are seeing, with whoever was convenient.

Michonne is not going to lose her edge.  She is not going to turn into Lori.  And TWD is not going to turn into a breezy romantic comedy all of a sudden. 

• Love 7

I don't mind them getting together, but I'm one of the posters who rarely thinks of anyone hooking up. I've seen a lot of chemistry between them, though, and have no fears of her turning into anyone else. 

• Love 2

I don't know why people seem to think sex is so out of place in the ZA. I'm sorry, but going months at a time without getting any if not longer, you get two good looking (or two not good looking) people who have mutual affection and chemistry and you're bound to hook up at least once just for release if nothing else. It seems natural that they would eventually go there with Rick and Michonne. I am so excited to see how my non-spoilered family reacts.

I also don't know why sex suddenly turns them into some kind of official couple. They could just as easily hook up, and sort of...take it slow. There's really no need for labels in the world and community that they are living in. You find comfort when you can with who you can. Its not like they are going to get father peeepants to marry them after they had sex once. I doubt it'll change too much about them individually or how they interact with each other.

• Love 5

It's one of those things that feels sudden given Rick's flashing over Jessie last episode but really isn't when you think about it over the several seasons and now over an apparent time jump.  As long as they don't turn into Maggie and Glenn, who bore the ever living fuck out of me, I'm willing to see where they go with it.

• Love 3

Holy sweet hell, Richonne is happening!!! It's actually happening!!

I'm not afraid they're going to ruin Michonne. It is possible for a female character to hook up with the lead and still retain her edge. Michonne has been consistently awesome throughout the whole show; I doubt she's going to suddenly get whiny and stupid just because she's finally getting some. Remember, she isn't Lori (thank God).

That is most certainly true, and what others said before you.  I just have no freakin' faith that the people that write for this show will not jack it all up :)

That is most certainly true, and what others said before you.  I just have no freakin' faith that the people that write for this show will not jack it all up :)

Well, there's always that.  lol

For me, this show alternates between fucking awesome, and fucking terrible.  So hopefully tonight is awesome.  As I said before, I've learned to live one day at a time.  ha.

• Love 2

Well, there's always that.  lol

For me, this show alternates between fucking awesome, and fucking terrible.  So hopefully tonight is awesome.  As I said before, I've learned to live one day at a time.  ha.

Me too Peach, and I think Michonne is about the only one left that hasn't got on my last ever lovin' nerve at one time or another so I am passionate about her character :)

• Love 1

Unsure whether this qualifies as a spoiler, so I'm posting here just to be safe (Scott Gimple confirms that the Richonne hook-up is not a one-night stand)...

The Walking Dead showrunner Scott M. Gimple explains that huge Rick–Michonne shocker
BY DALTON ROSS February 21 2016 — 10:01 PM EST
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/21/walking-dead-rick-michonne-showrunner-scott-m-gimple

Okay, let’s get into the Richonne thing. We know Rick and Andrea start a relationship in the comics around that time and obviously Andrea is not around anymore in the TV version, but is that storyline with Andrea from the comic — which also starts while talking on a couch — what inspired this love connection between Rick and Michonne here?
The Andrea story from the comics has been broken up and given to several different characters. This is one of those instances.
Once you knew you wanted them to get together, how did you come upon doing it in this way, with them talking about their day on the couch, touching hands with the mints, and then just going for it? Obviously this is a huge moment, so I’m guessing you may have come up with different ideas, and wanted to make sure it all came together perfectly.
It was all about finding an everyday context. It was all about having these two characters come to realize that their intimacy and bond extended beyond friendship. Alexandria, in the state it’s currently in, gave them the moment to come to that realization. And that’s a super clinical, mathematical analysis of romance. So I’ll say this: These are two people who have found kindred spirits in each other, strength, respect, support, loyalty. But the world has been screaming in their faces and clawing at them for a good part of their acquaintance. For all they’ve been through, when the world stopped screaming and clawing for them, they realized what they had.
Finally, what can you say about how this relationship is going to play going forward? I’m assuming this is not just a one-night stand.
These are two people who have suddenly realized — pretty much at exactly the same time, on that couch — what they already had together and who they already were to each other. This isn’t a one-night stand. And what they have was already there, before they even kissed.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

However, now thinking about it, it doesn't make much sense, if they want this death to have the same impact as in the comics. Aside from his friendship with Rick and his antagonistic relationship with Carol, Morgan has no relationships with any of the other characters on the show, thus there would not be a lot of emotional impact to gain from his death. I think for this death to have the same impact as in the comics, as a death to raise the emotional stakes of the story, it would have to be not only a character who has been with the show for a long time, but also a character that has firm, established relationships with other characters on the show.

However, Glenn would be a weak choice, because a.) every comic reader is expecting it and b.) they had way too many near death-moments for Glenn and mentally distraught moments for Maggie for it not to feel repetitive and lazy. This is a storyline where the show would actually benefit from Scott Gimple's remix approach to the comics.

If the rumors about Tara taking over Abraham's death from the comics are true, then I would also rule out Maggie and Carol, mainly for the fact that this season would then be really heavy on the violence against women, with Deana, Jessi and possibly Tara dying all in one season.

Thus, I think Darryl would be the most logical choice for Glenn's comic death. 

I agree with Morgan not getting the chop (well, bat). Frankly, given what he pulled with the Wolf, I don't think fans would be devastated by his demise. I also agree with Negan not taking down a female character with Lucille; aside from the meta reasons why the showrunners wouldn't want to depict a female character getting her brains bashed in by a male villain, it doesn't seem like Negan's style, frankly. Not that he won't kill women, but not that way.

There is a possibility that Daryl will be Negan's victim. Daryl killing that group of bikers with the rocket launcher is going to come back to haunt him at some point. Daryl also seems to be out of story; he has no struggles or moral conflicts, no romantic intrigues, no relationship issues with the other members of Team Rick, or even Team Alexandria. He's just sort of there. Even Carol, his platonic BFF, now has some sort of moral pas de deux with Morgan which doesn't involve Daryl at all. All of this could point to Daryl exiting the story sooner rather than later.

The problem I have with Daryl dying in Glenn's place is that thematically, it doesn't pack the same punch. Daryl has never been the goodhearted innocent that Glenn is. Daryl has never had a repugnance of violence. Glenn is trusting and willing to see the best in people, even people who have tried to murder him, while Daryl is still leery and more inclined to shoot first and ask questions later. Glenn has an unguarded sweetness that brings out the best in people, even terrible people like Nicholas, while Daryl remains guarded even with people he loves deeply. If Daryl is murdered by Negan, it would be sad. If Glenn is murdered by Negan, it would be unspeakably devastating.

After reading this thread, I am torn. On one hand, I loved being totally surprised by Richonne, but I usually also love spoilers. I am glad that I didn't read about Richonne though. 

I am so pissed that I spoiled myself for Richonne. I should have known better, but I just couldn't help myself.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2

My main picks for who is going to meet Lucille (not that I want them to, but just who I think is most likely to) are the same ones everyone else has pretty much tossed around:  Daryl, Morgan or Glenn. 

There have been way too many "Okay, Glenn is all right and now we can breathe" moments and I suspect that the writers think that we, the audience, now assume that Glenn is indestructible in every situation.  That's a prime time to give him the bat and shock the viewers.

But Daryl and Rick have been getting closer as bros.   And during last night's show, observing their shenanigans and interaction in the car/truck, I wondered if we were being treated to the Rick-Daryl brofest to remind us that they have become close... which will only make it all the more painful and will make Rick extra-angry if Daryl gets the bat.  Also, I can see Daryl offering to take the bat to spare someone else from getting it (if there is some sort of choice in the matter).    Plus, Norman Reedus has the other biker culture show coming to AMC, correct?  It almost sort of seems like a situation of "... if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck... it's a duck."  But... NR has such a huge fan base.  Will TWD care if they anger his entire fan base and possibly lose viewers?  They are putting him in that other show, so it seems like a way to cushion the blow of his loss a bit.

As for Morgan, I can really see that happening too, because the writers and producers probably think that Morgan is still beloved by the audience and don't realize that a lot of people don't like him now.  They probably assume that showing the peaceful/non-killing Morgan will endear him to viewers and make them care about him even more because he has become a gentle soul, unaware that many viewers now dislike him because of his newfound approach to not wanting to kill.  I actually still like Morgan a lot and always have, so his death would be sad to me.  I always got the feeling that Lennie James was only visiting the show temporarily, and would be moving on after a while.

So, out of Glenn, Daryl and Morgan, I am going to narrow it down to Daryl and Morgan being the most likely to meet Lucille.  And I am leaning towards Daryl.  Any of these 3 will be upsetting for me because I like all of them, but Daryl's story seems to be winding down in some way.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

My main picks for who is going to meet Lucille (not that I want them to, but just who I think is most likely to) are the same ones everyone else has pretty much tossed around:  Daryl, Morgan or Glenn. 

There have been way too many "Okay, Glenn is all right and now we can breathe" moments and I suspect that the writers think that we, the audience, now assume that Glenn is indestructible in every situation.  That's a prime time to give him the bat and shock the viewers.

But Daryl and Rick have been getting closer as bros.   And during last night's show, observing their shenanigans and interaction in the car/truck, I wondered if we were being treated to the Rick-Daryl brofest to remind us that they have become close... which will only make it all the more painful and will make Rick extra-angry if Daryl gets the bat.  Also, I can see Daryl offering to take the bat to spare someone else from getting it (if there is some sort of choice in the matter).    Plus, Norman Reedus has the other biker culture show coming to AMC, correct?  It almost sort of seems like a situation of "... if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck... it's a duck."  But... NR has such a huge fan base.  Will TWD care if they anger his entire fan base and possibly lose viewers?  They are putting him in that other show, so it seems like a way to cushion the blow of his loss a bit.

As for Morgan, I can really see that happening too, because the writers and producers probably think that Morgan is still beloved by the audience and don't realize that a lot of people don't like him now.  They probably assume that showing the peaceful/non-killing Morgan will endear him to viewers and make them care about him even more because he has become a gentle soul, unaware that many viewers now dislike him because of his newfound approach to not wanting to kill.  I actually still like Morgan a lot and always have, so his death would be sad to me.  I always got the feeling that Lennie James was only visiting the show temporarily, and would be moving on after a while.

So, out of Glenn, Daryl and Morgan, I am going to narrow it down to Daryl and Morgan being the most likely to meet Lucille.  And I am leaning towards Daryl.  Any of these 3 will be upsetting for me because I like all of them, but Daryl's story seems to be winding down in some way.

As you have pointed out, there are good in-show and meta reasons to think that all three of them aren't long for the show:

1. Glenn: Dies in the comics, show has already pulled a fakeout with Glenn's death.

2. Morgan: Already dead in the comics, actor doesn't want a long-term commitment to the show.

3. Daryl: Actor lined up another gig, character is running out of story, character killed seven members of Negan's crew.

There's always the possibility that Glenn, Daryl and Morgan all die this season, but only one of them dies via Lucille. On the other hand, I don't know that the show would kill off two such long-standing major characters (Glenn and Daryl) in the same half-season.

To bring this back to spoilers, we know thanks to The Spoiling Dead Fans that Morgan and Carol are alive as of 6x16. Whether they survive the episode is anyone's guess. We also know that Daryl makes it to 6x15, as he has a scene where he's extremely upset about something having happened to "her."

Finally, some dude on Reddit going by the handle of Taternuts126 said that he was Daryl's stunt double for season 6 and 7. When other Redditors started asking him about the obvious inference (that Daryl survives season 6), he wound up deleting his account. Probably bullshit, right? Except that Dalton Simons, Daryl's stunt double, uses a Dalton126 handle on Instagram, and the Taternuts126 account was two years old.

I wonder if Jesus will be gay in the show as well. 

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

There is a possibility that Daryl will be Negan's victim. Daryl killing that group of bikers with the rocket launcher is going to come back to haunt him at some point. Daryl also seems to be out of story; he has no struggles or moral conflicts, no romantic intrigues, no relationship issues with the other members of Team Rick, or even Team Alexandria. He's just sort of there. Even Carol, his platonic BFF, now has some sort of moral pas de deux with Morgan which doesn't involve Daryl at all. All of this could point to Daryl exiting the story sooner rather than later.

The problem I have with Daryl dying in Glenn's place is that thematically, it doesn't pack the same punch. Daryl has never been the goodhearted innocent that Glenn is. Daryl has never had a repugnance of violence. Glenn is trusting and willing to see the best in people, even people who have tried to murder him, while Daryl is still leery and more inclined to shoot first and ask questions later. Glenn has an unguarded sweetness that brings out the best in people, even terrible people like Nicholas, while Daryl remains guarded even with people he loves deeply. If Daryl is murdered by Negan, it would be sad. If Glenn is murdered by Negan, it would be unspeakably devastating.

But Daryl and Rick have been getting closer as bros. And during last night's show, observing their shenanigans and interaction in the car/truck, I wondered if we were being treated to the Rick-Daryl brofest to remind us that they have become close... which will only make it all the more painful and will make Rick extra-angry if Daryl gets the bat. Also, I can see Daryl offering to take the bat to spare someone else from getting it (if there is some sort of choice in the matter). Plus, Norman Reedus has the other biker culture show coming to AMC, correct? It almost sort of seems like a situation of "... if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck... it's a duck." But... NR has such a huge fan base. Will TWD care if they anger his entire fan base and possibly lose viewers? They are putting him in that other show, so it seems like a way to cushion the blow of his loss a bit.

As for Morgan, I can really see that happening too, because the writers and producers probably think that Morgan is still beloved by the audience and don't realize that a lot of people don't like him now. They probably assume that showing the peaceful/non-killing Morgan will endear him to viewers and make them care about him even more because he has become a gentle soul, unaware that many viewers now dislike him because of his newfound approach to not wanting to kill. I actually still like Morgan a lot and always have, so his death would be sad to me. I always got the feeling that Lennie James was only visiting the show temporarily, and would be moving on after a while.

So, out of Glenn, Daryl and Morgan, I am going to narrow it down to Daryl and Morgan being the most likely to meet Lucille. And I am leaning towards Daryl. Any of these 3 will be upsetting for me because I like all of them, but Daryl's story seems to be winding down in some way.

I'm right in the middle about the possibility of the End-Season Finale Sacrifice being Daryl, for a few reasons:

• Much is made of the possibility of Negan targeting Daryl for retaliation on account of Daryl RPGing several of his crew into crispy critters- but why would Negan know it was Daryl? We know none of the bikers survived the blast, so they ain't telling - and no other overt indication has been given that any of Negan's crew witnessed the blast.
  • HOWEVER: I've already deleted the episode from my DVR - but before I did, I had already gotten suspicious of how TPTB might try to tie the Biker Bake-Off back to CDB in Negan's mind. So I did several laps through the first ten minutes of the episode, sometimes going frame-by-frame through the pre- and post-explosion parts of the scene. And in (quite literally) the last 2-3 frames before the explosion, it looks like you can just barely catch a couple of glimpses of something silver-ish moving in the background, fractions of a second before the fireball (extreme end of the road behind the bikers, in front of a large tree). A car or pickup? Maybe.
  • HOWEVER: if that was an episode-related vehicle, the extreme distance would make it unlikely Daryl could be individually identified as the "shooter". Unless, of course, the writers want to pretend a passenger in the vehicle had binoculars plastered to his/her face THE EXACT MOMENT the vehicle broke cover into view, and they JUST HAPPENED TO BE pointed EXACTLY at the point of explosion when it occurred - at which point I would feel compelled to respond with a long, loud and resounding "BUUUULLLLLLL-SHIIIIT!!!".
  • In truth my main concern RE Daryl is I'm picking up on a vibe that TPTB maybe fixing to pull an Opie on the boy. Since resolving their initial differences (primarily centering around Merle), I've seen Rick and Daryl's relationship mirroring that of SOA's Jax and Opie to a large degree - and as SOA fans know, that didn't turn out all that well for Opie.
Given the variable level of recent writing, however, I don't necessarily see Production as trusting the current crop of scribes with the responsibility of capably disposing of one of the show's most popular characters. I'm foreseeing an ESF cliffhanger of Glenn/Daryl/Morgan - maybe Rick as well, for shits and giggles - with their heads hanging over Negan's metaphorical equivalent of the Terminus Trough, so the fans can work themselves up into one hell of a hiatus frenzy over who's most likely to get their ticket punched. And i would still lean towards Morgan for the ESFS, because I don't think the money men would be all that eager to find out just exactly how much Daryl's sizable fan base would knock down ratings by defecting after his demise.

"I got this."

-- Opie's last words: SOA Season 5 Episode 3

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 3

"I got this."

-- Opie's last words: SOA Season 5 Episode 3

Maybe the most heartbreaking moment on that show. I was having an "a-ha" or "ohhhhh" moment as I read your bullet point #4, but then when you typed the quote, which I'd really not thought of in years... :( That would hurt (me). It would be very powerful, but I'm dying a little thinking about it. Like I said in the episode thread, I really cared about Daryl for the first time in a while in this episode.

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 2

I'm not looking forward to Death by Lucille, regardless of who it is. I often complain about this show and the inconsistent character development. However, I dread losing either Glenn or Daryl.

By its very nature, this show must walk a fine line between presenting a realistically brutal world and delivering a compelling experience for viewers. If they continue to kill off their original cast - especially two fan favorites - they risk alienating some viewers who don't want to lose their emotional ties to the show. This is especially difficult because, IMO, they have not done a good job of developing new characters in the last two seasons. I was hoping that Aaron could fill that role but we have seen little of him this season.

Another consideration is the slow attrition in viewership after six strong years as some move onto other shows. Would people really bolt in huge numbers if Daryl was killed? Not sure. He has not had a dedicated story line in a long time. His death - especially a brutal one - would have an affect on the other characters. Would it add a "motivation" to the show?

It all depends on what the writers and show runners intend. Are they trying to be bold with this death? Or are they trying to tell a story that has meaningful arcs for the characters.

If Morgan is Lucille's target, it will be sad. It may motivate the characters but I don't think it is a bold move. It won't change the direction of the show. Glenn's death would be devasting but Glenn has "almost died" too many times recently. The writers have given him too much plot armor. Daryl's death seems to check all the boxes...as much as I hate to admit it. Couple that with NR's new show and I suspect that he will be the victim.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 3