Type keyword(s) to search

Warriors Of Liberty City - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The cursing that the "coaches" use to speak to their team is beyond being acceptable in any way shape or form.

To see these young boys being hit so hard during practice and games makes me sad for their futures with head trauma and brain injuries. NFL be damed. Mommas you need to snatch your boys back.

23 hours ago, mbaywife123 said:

The cursing that the "coaches" use to speak to their team is beyond being acceptable in any way shape or form.

To see these young boys being hit so hard during practice and games makes me sad for their futures with head trauma and brain injuries. NFL be damed. Mommas you need to snatch your boys back.

I’m sure they’ve heard worst in their neighborhood.

• Love 1

Luke Campbell is a legend in south Florida youth football. Many of the greats in NFL and college football got their start in these youth leagues, especially in Liberty City, Overtown, the Grove, and elsewhere in Miami-Dade County. It has been the secret why there is so much football talent there, and why all the colleges and not just The U recruit there. This was true decades ago when Time magazine did a cover article about this, and it is true now.

The language doesn’t bother me. It is what it is. It works. It helps produce outstanding players. That’s the bottom line.

• Love 1

The swearing doesn't bother me because most kids already hear swearing at school and at home. In theory, it would be nice if the coaches could refrain from dropping so many F bombs, but if these kids keep playing football they are going to hear that kind of language from all of their future coaches too (as anyone who has watched other football reality shows like Last Chance U can attest to).

What's sadder/more upsetting is hearing that kids are being shot while on their way to get candy and that in the twelve months since he died, his father has attended fourteen more funerals, most of them for kids.

Also sad was hearing one of the girls say that she wants to perform but the attention is always on the football players. I hear you, girl. That starts pretty early.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The swearing doesn't bother me because most kids already hear swearing at school and at home. In theory, it would be nice if the coaches could refrain from dropping so many F bombs, but if these kids keep playing football they are going to hear that kind of language from all of their future coaches too (as anyone who has watched other football reality shows like Last Chance U can attest to).

What's sadder/more upsetting is hearing that kids are being shot while on their way to get candy and that in the twelve months since he died, his father has attended fourteen more funerals, most of them for kids.

Also sad was hearing one of the girls say that she wants to perform but the attention is always on the football players. I hear you, girl. That starts pretty early.

I loved hearing how they were trying to make it free for everyone in the future. That will go a long way for current and future players.

19 hours ago, Skyfall said:

I loved hearing how they were trying to make it free for everyone in the future. That will go a long way for current and future players.

I agree. Even in my middle class neighborhood, there were some kids who didn't do Pop Warner because of the cost. Seeing how tight money is for some of the kids on this show (six people living in a one bedroom apartment) shows what a financial sacrifice it can be for parents to let their kids participate in sports. I love that they are trying to make it accessible for everyone.

Whoops, I forgot to post after last week's episode! I liked the coach who said he wasn't concerned about winning or losing because both are going to happen no matter what and that his main concern was being there for the kids. I've heard other coaches say those things but it's a lot more believable when you know that the person saying it isn't raking in money for doing it.

But I felt bad for that kid who had to practice with his dad/coach BEFORE practice. You're going to tire him out before official practice even begins! And I can't imagine it's easy to keep up your energy when it's hot and humid.

Also episode two had weird editing. They made it seem like the HS game was around the same time as Irma when in fact it was in last October. Not sure why they decided to present it that way.

On 10/1/2018 at 6:05 PM, Skyfall said:

So sad!

On a shallow note, I'm glad he posted a photo because I still don't remember anyone's names (I usually spend the first five weeks of every reality show referring to people as "the guy with the face" and "the girl with the hair" while wishing that everyone had to to wear nametags).

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

So sad!

On a shallow note, I'm glad he posted a photo because I still don't remember anyone's names (I usually spend the first five weeks of every reality show referring to people as "the guy with the face" and "the girl with the hair" while wishing that everyone had to to wear nametags).

Or “that swag person” or the “crazy jealous girl”

Athletics can be a driving force through a difficult childhood and it’s great those kids have the opportunity to better themselves through football. However, even though a decent amount of former players have excelled and gone on to the NFL, that is way too much pressure for a young kid. The fact is, most of them will not be rich football stars. It’s important that they help their kids maintain self esteem even without fame and fortune. 

I totally agree. Even with the unusually high number of professional players who come from Liberty City, the odds are that most of these kids won't get that far and that's why they need to have realistic expectations/goals so that they aren't devastated when it doesn't happen for them. And I always feel for kids who feel the pressure to provide for their families. You're a kid so be a kid!