Type keyword(s) to search

Model Squad - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Is anyone watching this show?  On one hand, I like seeing the "behind the scenes" of the fashion industry (especially on the business side).  But on the other hand, this show is sometimes trying too hard to make some of these models happen.

And Victoria's Secret has to be a sponsor of this show right?  I know the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show is a big deal but I didn't think it was THAT big.

• Love 1

I like that we're getting to see models in all stages of their career, which is interesting.  I couldn't believe the one girl (moved from LA to NY) showed up at a casting without her book or a card, and her agency let her do that.  That basically just closed the door on that client and made her seem unprofessional.

I've seen Yu Tsai on America's Next Top Model and I was never a fan.  I'm surprised he's considered such a big deal photographer, given the ANTM connection.

• Love 1

I am finding this show unwatchable. (And I endure ANTM.) Mostly beccause of the engagement drama with the totally vapid couple. It all seems very staged and scripted. Just a fluff promo piece for the models and the sponsers. 

I was surprised they allowed Olivia to say she was uncomfortable with Yu Tsai, but nothing came of it. 

I'm watching the show and so far I kind of like it.  There can be some slow parts but I always find it interesting to see the behind the scenes stuff which this show is doing pretty well.  I have a feeling things are more cutthroat then they are making it appear on here but whatever.  It seems like the remaining episodes are going to get dumped out pretty quickly so I'm guessing that its not doing all that well.  

• Love 1

Finally bit the bullet and watched the rest of the season.  I thought it had a decent start at first (or at least average for the typical reality show) but the show got steadily worse over the course of the season.  There was way too much focus on the Heath and Caroline will they/won't they storyline and not enough of the behind the scenes of fashion shoots, castings, runway shows, etc.  And while I thought the diversity conversation was important, the show just did not know how to handle that conflict and the same talking points were repeated over and over.

Is it too much to ask for a show that focuses just on the day to day of the industry and not manufactured lunches/drinks/vacas/staycations?  Oh wait, I almost forgot... this is E!. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, zenithwit said:

not enough of the behind the scenes of fashion shoots, castings, runway shows, etc.  And while I thought the diversity conversation was important, the show just did not know how to handle that conflict and the same talking points were repeated over and over.

Is it too much to ask for a show that focuses just on the day to day of the industry and not manufactured lunches/drinks/vacas/staycations?  Oh wait, I almost forgot... this is E!. 

So much this! I think ANTM does a better job of the behind-the-scenes, although not in the way they used to on the show.

I love modeling shows. I've watched the first episode so far, but am hesitant to watch the rest of the season for the reasons you've mentioned. I'm not particularly interested in people's love lives or manufactured drama. I love straight up behind-the-scenes stuff.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

I love modeling shows. I've watched the first episode so far, but am hesitant to watch the rest of the season for the reasons you've mentioned. I'm not particularly interested in people's love lives or manufactured drama. I love straight up behind-the-scenes stuff.

If you fast forward through the manufactured segments, you can probably get through the whole season in about an hour lol.  But that's still an hour of content that you might enjoy.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, zenithwit said:

If you fast forward through the manufactured segments, you can probably get through the whole season in about an hour lol.  But that's still an hour of content that you might enjoy.

The show really has potential if they just focus on the modeling aspect.

Just found this show and looks like I’ve already missed the discussion, lol. 

Olivia- Seems really sweet and nice and (based on how they shot things) I guess she was the show’s lead? She carries herself well, must be the pageants. Could have done without the permanently open-mouth smile/laugh but that’s about it. 

Devon- I guess she’s the most successful of the group? Wasn’t a fan at the beginning, she seemed pretty full of herself. But it must be tough to be confident in that industry so kudos to her. And I’m sure some of her reactions were insecurity that her career is ending and she’s not sure what her identity is. But I think she handled the Ping situation pretty well. 

Ping- ugh. Started off thinking she was cool. Then felt bad for her. Then decided she’s just an insecure shit stirrer. I get it, she’s also getting to the end of her career and maybe it didn’t go the way she wanted, but blaming the world for your problems isn’t a solution. I realize the diversity conversation was an important one, but both times she asked girls if they experienced discrimination then got mad when they answered. I’m sorry, but it’s human nature to relate to people and answer from experience when asked a question. And EVERY model has to experience discrimination, so it’s a loaded question. I’m not sure what she wanted in that situation. “No, Ping, I’ve never heard of it. Why don’t we sit back and let you lecture us for twenty minutes while nobody else talks.” And I still have no understanding of what caused the fight with Caroline. Neither one made sense (editing?) but Ping totally instigated the fight at the slumber party. 

Caroline- Single handedly ruining the fantasy of dating a model. Every other word is “like” and then the other words string together to say she’s too good for something or how much money she makes. And I don’t understand the money these people make. How does a 22-year-old model nobody has ever heard of buy houses and Chanel bags and afford that lifestyle in New York? And her bf can’t make THAT much money, male models make significantly less than women.  

Heath- What’s more fake? The engagement drama with Caroline or the idea that an ex-punter who graduated six years ago is a local celebrity in Starkville? 

Loved Nadine, so happy for her and hope she doesn’t let this industry eat her up. LOVE Daniela, she’s gorgeous. Loved Hannah and could tell she has the best career during filming because she wasn’t around and didn’t get caught up in any drama. (Really wanted to dislike Conn, but he seems like a decent guy, too. Rooting for those two). 

Ashley- Didn’t impress me at first, but at the shoot in lingerie, damn. She has a killer body and pretty face. She needs better direction/management steering her career. 

One more note, was anyone else grossed out that the women would shop for clothes without wearing underwear? Is that normal? I know Olivia shopped for jeans without underwear and I think another women tried something on without a pair later in the season.