Type keyword(s) to search

Stitched - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I haven't decided what I think about this format.  If we thought that the timeline in PR was too short, this is almost bordering on ridiculous!  It could be interesting having different contestants on each episode. They don't get as tired as they would on a typical reality show, and there's no room for people who like to create drama. On the other hand, you don't get to see how their skills develop over the course of a show.  But, it's Canadian, and in the absence of Project Runway, I need some sewing show in my life.

• Love 1
On 2018-10-13 at 2:02 PM, PRgal said:

I haven't seen this yet.  Is this a PR rip-off?

Kind of. It’s canadian, so not sure if it can be viewed in the US. They begin with 4 contestants, and after each challenge, one is eliminated, so by the end of the episode, there is awinner, who earns $10,000 (though, being Canadian, it should have been in Canadian Tire money). I like it, and it gets some sewing and fashion on my tv. 

• Love 1

I really wanted to like this show, but I don't.  We don't really get to know anyone, so I don't particularly care about any of them.  The two regular judges clearly just vote for the person they like best, regardless of what crap they put out.  And the talent level is so low, it's just laughable.  I just can't deal with it.  Really.... a cowgirl from Calgary?  A chick who became a designer after going to Burning Man?  Someone who makes YouTube videos???  And not an ounce of talent or ability in any of them.

• Love 1

Something that I just realised is that the models in this show aren’t always the typical body size that one might expect. They seem to have models of different sizes, but don’t make a big production of it. I appreciate that. 

• Love 2
On 10/13/2018 at 2:02 PM, PRgal said:

I haven't seen this yet.  Is this a PR rip-off?

It isn't like Project Runway (my favourite thing ever). Stitched is like Chopped, but for sewing. Each round, the designers must make a garment using the materials found in a mystery box (a square room). Each round, a designer is chopped. Each mystery box has a theme like winter wear, lost luggage, paper, florals, etc.

Somehow, sometimes Canadian shows look so tragically Canadian. It almost feels like they are using old film from the 1980s or something. How does it look like this in 2018? Is it the set? The lighting? Something is making the set look so crappy and sad. Obviously, the budget, but I am trying to pin it on something specific. It almost looks like the set is made entirely of painted cardboard. But anyway, while there have been some real questionable designers/contestants so far, some of them have been great. Just like on Project Runway, there is a wide spectrum of talent represented. I think some of the contestants on Stitched have shown great talent and made fabulous garments (in just a few hours). I particularly loved the floral jumper made by Julia Passafiume (a children's wear designer from the USA) and the blanket-looking coat made by Janine Stabner (the leather-wear designer from Alberta). Neither of these women went on to win their episodes, but I still think they represented themselves well and made impressive creations. Also, David Wigley (a menswear designer from Ontario who won his episode, I think) produced lovely garments and showed a lot of talent and promise. There were many others who also did very well or at least showed incredible creativity (I just can't remember any other names specifically) along with some total turds.

Edited by GoldaVining
accuracy and equality
  • Love 2

Yeah. I hope nobody was watching this show for the first time. Not a great episode. In the final round, the 60-year-old American costume designer (can't remember her name) was going up against Adam, the 22-year-old Canadian menswear designer, in a bridal themed challenge. I am not pleased with the outcome but there is no possible outcome that could please me because both designs were not good. Early on in the episode, Adam made beautiful garments and won the first and second round. The wrong person was sent home in the second round and the costume designer squeaked through to the final with a very clunky corset outfit that looked like it was made out of cardboard and glitter glue. Ugh. Adam deserved to win the first two rounds. He made a gorgeous Chanel-inspired deconstructed suit that impressed the judges, and a second chic suit in a scrap fabric challenge, but in the final/bridal round, I absolutely hated his wedding gown. It was awful. Truly awful. The bride asked for a mermaid-style gown in red and sand (wtf?) and she wanted it to be non-traditional. Adam made a red gown with satin sand-coloured panels and a giant Star Trek angular collar with multiple torn bandage strips down each arm. That's certainly non traditional. The grandma's bride asked for a boho style blue gown. It was blue but that's it. It was so simple there was not one thing interesting about it. The judges praised it for being well made. I believe the bride asked for "flowy" but it was cinched tight with a wide waistband. Paired with glossy patent pumps, it looked like a prim prom dress from 1955. Snoozle. Adam won with his red and sand mess.

• Love 1