Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: The End

• Start Topic

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

I'm still cracking up at Leslie's character yelling from off-screen for her assistant to "Come stick your finger down my throat so I can throw up," when they learned about the Stu Stew.  LMAO!

Me too.  I got emotional at how real it all felt and then I started thinking, shit, this could actually happen at any moment right now!  

And I would be so upset if I couldn't be with my family or friends. I wouldn't want to die with my coworkers! The newscaster saying he wasn't going to make it home made me so sad. Tim's parents and brother were kind of best-case scenario - at least they were all together. 

Yes Evan and Joan are related this season so at least he is able to be with a family member through all this. I noticed they never said his name.  Promo photos call his character Mr. Gallant but nobody called him by his name in the episode. Unless I missed it? 

If this season goes more of the supernatural route I wonder if Michael may caused the apocalypse? It could go either way. 

1 hour ago, Wicked said:

I found myself getting unexpectedly emotional during the end of the world scenes.  The newscaster saying good bye to his kids got to me, Tim leaving his family...  Wasn't expecting to feel any feels while watching AHS.  I guess it's the mom in me. I didn't love it, didn't hate it, but I'm intrigued enough to give it a few more episodes. 

I'm probably reading way too much into this, but I was wondering if the newscaster is part of all of this.  When he said, "I can't believe we did it", it just seemed... odd. Out of place.  What did "we" do?

An entire lifetime wearing stupid purple outfits and eating cubes? Yeah, no thanks. That blast would start looking pretty good after a few months of crushing boredom. 

Not a bad way to start the season. I got bored pretty quickly last season, but I think this could be interesting with the crossover elements (although I am interested to see how they are going to explain the same three people playing a billion characters), and this was an interesting premier. Of course, AHS usually starts out really promising and scary, and peters out into pointless violence and stupid reveals towards the end. But, I might as well check it out. 

I see Ryan Murphy is still working some stuff out through his TV shows. It never pays to be a gay man on AHS, where you can look forward to either being evil, OR dying super quickly. Watch yourself, Andre!

Honestly, I kind of wonder if the nuclear winter is actually real, or if this is some magic Satan shit from Tate Jr, and it will turn out that something else is going on. I seem to remember a flashforward in Hotel to 2020, and everything seemed fine in LA then, so maybe it all gets undone, or its all some kind of evil plot to actually kick off the real, biblical Apocalypse? 

Poor Stew in the stew. 

4 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I guess I'm one of the few who thought the premiere was awful, just as bad as Cult's premiere. I only tuned in for the MH/Coven crossover and not one character from either was in the premiere. Instead we get a rehash of why this show has become unwatchable. I did like the new credits opening; besides that, the only things horrific about the show at this point are the bad writing and complete waste of some great talent.

I thought it was okay - not what I was hoping for anyway. But I do disagree with you about the opening credits. I personally think the opening credits are usually creepier than the actual show and look forward to them. (Freak Show was one of the best opening credits IMHO). I was not impressed with the ones last night. I think this whole atmosphere kind of gives off "A Handmaid's Tale" kind of vibe.

Oh, and is it bad that I can't even remember what CULT was about? Tells you how impressed I was with that one, huh? My favorite was Murder House and I was just blown away when Violet saw herself in the basement/well/whatever it was. I never saw that coming. I also thought Freak Show and the one with the Clown were pretty good. Coven was so/so. Roanoke also so/so. The one I really did not like was Hotel. (altho I liked the character of Denis O'Hare and the setting of the hotel).

And if I never see Emma Roberts "act" again, it will still be too soon. She sure doesn't have any of her dad's or aunt's talent.

Edited by llewis823
wanted to add more
51 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I'm thinking there is a misdirection here with who the antichrist is

I think so, too. Vivien and Ben both died in Jeffery's presence, and he was insufferable when he was with Nora. It would be a brilliant twist to have audiences learn Jeffrey is the Anti-Christ. Cody Fern's ever-changing hair length in the trailer makes me wonder if he's playing both Michael and Jeffery. 

As for the multiple roles for each actor, I'm hoping they resolve Outpost 3 story before the episode 6 twist, to free up the actors to play their other roles in Murder House/Coven cross-over story. Paulson playing 3 characters is just, yeah, too much.

57 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I'm probably reading way too much into this, but I was wondering if the newscaster is part of all of this.  When he said, "I can't believe we did it", it just seemed... odd. Out of place.  What did "we" do?

My thoughts, exactly! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that was odd. 

I found myself getting unexpectedly emotional during the end of the world scenes.  The newscaster saying good bye to his kids got to me, Tim leaving his family...  Wasn't expecting to feel any feels while watching AHS.

Yes, it was unusually compelling for AHS. The seasons have gotten progressively more campy and absurd so I was pleasantly surprised at how grounded the opening was. Yes we had some camp from Leslie Grossman and Evan Peters and a bit of comedy from Joan Collins, but overall the escape sequence and all the panic in the streets felt real and I was riveted. I don't expect scenes to be so tangible on AHS. 

Murder House is evil and the place Michael was born so it might have survived the apocalypse.  Plus it would explain his scenes with Tate and Vivian.  He is home.  

They wouldn't have taken an airplane from Santa Monica to Los Angeles. We saw them flying away and watching the bomb drop on LA. What, do you think they circled back and landed right where they started from? Clearly the bunker/outpost is meant to be in some other state that had to be reached in time by airplane. 

And if I never see Emma Roberts "act" again, it will still be too soon. She sure doesn't have any of her dad's or aunt's talent.

If we're going to be mean, let's talk about Billie Lourd. All due respect to her mom, but the girl cannot act. At. ALL. The "flat effect" worked OK for her character in Scream Queens but apparently she's unable to muster any kind of emotion, inflection or facial expression no matter what show or movie she's in. 

I think so, too. Vivien and Ben both died in Jeffery's presence, and he was insufferable when he was with Nora. It would be a brilliant twist to have audiences learn Jeffrey is the Anti-Christ.

Vivian had 2 babies, right? One was Ben's and one was Tate's. Michael is Tates - what happened to him? Didn't one of the babies die with them? I remember Nora coming and taking it away.

4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Vivian had 2 babies, right? One was Ben's and one was Tate's. Michael is Tates - what happened to him? Didn't one of the babies die with them? I remember Nora coming and taking it away.

She had two babies, supposedly by different fathers. Michael is Tate's,or so we were led to believe.  Constance took him away when she found Benn hanging from the chandelier. Nora took the other baby, who drew one breath and then died. Nora came and took that baby,and Vivien eventually got him back when Nora couldn't deal with the crying.

Given that one of the babies is the antichrist and presumably can do anything it wants, I'm thinking they were both Tate's and are twins, but only one of them is evil. I'm thinking the short haired Cody Fern character is actually Jeffrey.

I thought the premiere was just okay. I am going into this season bracing myself because it all sounds very, very ambitious. I will say I never expected them to open with the destruction of civilization. I thought the apocalypse would be something we would be moving towards with various actors trying to usher it in and others trying to thwart it so I am tipping my hat at the boldness of the choice. 

8 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I am probably the only person who would rate Cult as my second favorite.  

I thoroughly enjoyed Cult too. 

7 hours ago, Empress1 said:

You already know. Venable said "no unauthorized copulation" so I assume there will be some kind of "we must repopulate the earth" plan in place, maybe based on their genetics. People are probably required to procreate with assigned partners or something.

I think the selective breeding thing is a bit of a guise. Isn't the sequence that the Anti-Christ ushers in the apocalypse and then works to bring Satan himself topside? Essentially, bringing hell and all its demons on Earth, taking over and destroying/perverting all God's creations? The collective searched for folks with the genetic code they think will work best for Master Satan and they can't copulate until a certain time, under certain conditions, ceremonies, chants, potions etc., to usher him into the womb.  Or maybe I have watched too much Supernatural on the WB?

I think it was said somewhere earlier in this thread that this season has fewer episodes than usual --  but it looks as though it is supposed to have 11 episodes, which is what last season had as well.   No difference (unless the "11" number for this year is incorrect).   So, in other words, there is still plenty of time for it to become a hot mess and for the plot to go in 20 different directions.

And yet.... I look forward to this show every year!   Here's the thing... it can't be taken too seriously and I can't have really high expectations because, quite frankly, I know better after all this time.   I know that a lot of things are not going to make sense, and I know that there will be a whole lot of unnecessary stuff thrown in for shock value, leaving it to be a jumbled mishmash of gore and confusion.  

I just go along for the crazy, twisted ride.   I know that the first episode of any season will usually be pretty interesting, and that the remaining episodes might not be.   But I love that this show is there every year, helping to usher in Fall and Halloween.   It's the perfect show for this time of year, as it helps to set the appropriate spooky tone (even if much of it makes no sense).    Sure, some seasons are much better than others, but I would rather have an underwhelming season of American Horror Story than to not have the show on the air at all.    I only wish that it were still carrying into December, as it used to, so we could get a couple of dark Christmas episodes again (like in the earlier years). 

I liked the set-up in the first episode this season.   The scenes of everything going haywire at the start of the episode were chilling (because that kind of missile scenario could happen at any moment).     I love Joan Collins and Leslie Grossman as comic relief.    Evan Peters, as always, is amazing.   I love that Kathy Bates is back, and that we will see Jessica Lange once again.   I know that many people are tired of Sarah Paulson, but I like her on this show.    And I expect that there will be some surprise cameos too -- people that we have not heard about yet, who are being kept a secret.

I, too, thought that the bit with the newscaster's comment -- "I can't believe we did it" -- was very odd.     Did "we" start a nuclear war?   There is more to that story.

And I thought it was bizarre that we didn't see how the people (Evan, Leslie, Billie and Joan) got off of the pilot-less plane.  Did the plane crash, or did it directly fly everyone right to Sarah Paulson and Kathy Bates?    Are we going to find out that they actually died in a plane crash and ended up in some sort of Purgatory with all of those other people, before going on to hell?   Did the demon child "arrange" for them to conveniently arrive at the outpost?    Whatever the case, there is more to the story of how everyone got off the plane and ended up where they did, and I am guessing that it will somehow be revealed at some point in the season.

I agree that there will probably be some sort of twist as to who the demon child actually is.  We are supposed to think it is one person, but could find out that it is someone else.

Edited by TVFan17
typo!
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

If we're going to be mean, let's talk about Billie Lourd. All due respect to her mom, but the girl cannot act. At. ALL. The "flat effect" worked OK for her character in Scream Queens but apparently she's unable to muster any kind of emotion, inflection or facial expression no matter what show or movie she's in. 

This is so true.  I thought her Chanel character was like that on purpose but she's just doing the exact same thing so far.  Of course, maybe that's what they wanted her to do.  

11 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I am probably the only person who would rate Cult as my second favorite.  Then again I really enjoyed Hotel and Roanoke so who am I to judge.  

I rarely watch opening credits so when I saw Dina Meyer (I gave loved her since Starship Troopers) I was excited so of course she dies in the apocalypse.

I loved that by the time the “Soylant Green” came out that most people were so desperate for real food that they did t particularly care they were eating people.  Even a person they knew.

I am curious how long Joan Collins is going to survive.  

I know this is a crossover with Coven and Murder House but the irony is that the fallout shelter stuff could cover ten episodes on itself.  Still my guess is Yhey will move to The Murder Hlyse as it of course is one of the few places to survive and the Coven witches will follow.

No, you're not the one. I think that the Cult was one of their best seasons. I  also think the love for Murder House and Coven, is more nostalgic. And it also the element of supernatural that all other seasons have that attracts people. Not many want to see the dread and horror of the contemporary life. Murder House was a mess, tbh. 

I wish we had more Billy Eichner though. 

Anyway do they troll Handmaids Tail? The execution of two grey lovers was taken straight out of Handmaid's pages. 

Edited by skotnikov
1 hour ago, Token said:

Ummm…. what?

$100 million per person and that's what you get?  Shitty goth clothes, food cubes, and Stu stew?

I wish they could have that eye candy for bit longer, sex scenes with him would be priceless. 

Given that one of the babies is the antichrist and presumably can do anything it wants, I'm thinking they were both Tate's and are twins, but only one of them is evil. I'm thinking the short haired Cody Fern character is actually Jeffrey.

But one baby died and one baby lived . . . right? So we're only dealing with one living child of Vivian at the moment. Not that dead/alive is much of a distinction on this show, I'm just trying to get my history straight!

10 hours ago, sashayshante said:

I'm thinking the reason the other Outposts have been destroyed is because they failed to provide Michael with the ideal mother for his child. ('Sup Emily.) I think he wiped everyone else to create Antichrist babies and begin anew.

That would explain her bold personality.  They made Timothy all anxious and timid, she's just the opposite.  

6 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

At first I thought he meant American finally started WWIII which ended the world.  But maybe he meant we did it, as in humans finally destroyed the world?

5 minutes ago, Lemons said:

At first I thought he meant American finally started WWIII which ended the world.  But maybe he meant we did it, as in humans finally destroyed the world?

I took also too it to mean that we, as a species finally succeeded in ending the world.  

They made a point to show that twice (both Billy Eichner and Tim's family were watching it), so you could be on to something!

3 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

And I thought it was bizarre that we didn't see how the people (Evan, Leslie, Billie and Joan) got off of the pilot-less plane.  Did the plane crash, or did it directy fly everyone right to Sarah Paulson and Kathy Bates?    Are we going to find out that they actually died in a plane crash and ended up in some sort of Purgatory with all of those other people, before going on to hell?   Did the demon child "arrange" for them to conveniently arrive at the outpost?    Whatever the case, there is more to the story of how everyone got off the plane and ended up where they did, and I am guessing that it will somehow be revealed at some point in the season.

I agree with you that I look forward to this show each season, regardless of its quality. I keep my expectations low.

I think the US probably started a nuclear war that might have been, in some way, facilitated by the media. Fake news, etc. That's my wild guess.

Regarding the bolded part of your response, I was thinking something similar. I immediately thought of Sartre's "No Exit" in which "Hell is other people."

And when the issue of class became obvious, my initial thought was H.G. Wells' Time Machine with the Eloi and Morlocks. Not the same story, per se, but the idea's there. The Morlocks served the Eloi and were kept separate.

Edited by Surrealist
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

One of the babies died and the other was kidnapord by Constance

7 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

He was probably talking about the human race killing ourselves.   Someone pressing that little red nuke button.  “I can’t believe we did it.  I can’t believe we finally destroyed ourselves.”

Edited by Chaos Theory
8 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I'm so glad I was not the only one. They even played the scene twice so it was hard to miss. "I cant believe we did it "..... definitely has some meaning. 

8 minutes ago, WednesdayAddams said:

Same here!

After reading this thread, I am reminded that I don't remember what the hell happened in the Murder House season...

Right! I feel I need to rewatch. In fact there was one I did not finish, not in purpose, but still....MH might have been the one I didnt finish. 

The Coven was by far my favorite so I look forward to them incorporating that into this one. 

Edited by Gemini Gipsy
Horribly bad error in spelling

Random thoughts:

Give me nuclear winter before having to listen to "Calling Occupants" on endless loop.

Definitely possible that the plane crash landed on the Murder House site.  Because if the Collective's plan is repopulating the Earth, they kind of need more than one straight male to do it, no matter how pretty he is.

Evan Peters is the only person I could still find hot with that hideous over bleached hair.

Adina Porter must be ecstatic to finally get a role where she actually looks as beautiful as she is.  She wasn't exactly looking her best being terrorized in Roanoke and Cult, or as apocalypse warrior chick Indra on the 100, or as Tara's alcoholic mom on True Blood.

Any Tennessee Williams fans?  I'm pretty sure Ms. Venable is a reference to Suddenly, Last Summer.    

23 hours ago, Valny said:

OMG, I laughed hard at that along with some other great lines,mainly from Leslie Grossman.

When Kathy Bates was left with the horses, I was thinking....oh no,not the horsies! 

The horses seemed far beyond exposed and quiteI'll. There was lush coming out if their eyes. I suppose they had done their job by getting creepy dude there and when he said to "tend" to then he in fact meant to out then put it their misery.  

What dragged them off though? The kankerpuss monsters or what ever SP's character called them? That was quite reminiscent M Knight Shamalans, "The Village". 

I was simultaneously giggling and crying during the first quarter of the premiere and loved it. Maybe watching "Threads" and "The Day After" as a kid primed me for the all-too-real nightmarish possibility of nuclear war. While both Cult and Apocalypse share a "this is happening/this could happen" element, I found last season just dark, depressing, and disjointed. This season seems to hold more campy and fucked up promise, but I won't set my expectations too high. (Though the missile launch scenes reminded me to review my suicide-after-murdering-the-pets-because-I-cannot-bear-the-idea-of-them-suffering plan in case of WW3. Womp womp.)

When Joan Collins popped out those ridiculous one-liner comebacks, I swear I laughed out loud just like John Waters in "Homer's Phobia." Her hair, face, and jewelry looked awesome.

Intro credits are always fun, and they included my favorite slice of the Coven intro with that freaky-ass skeletal deer-demon skulking about in the woods. *shiver*

I mostly like Sarah Paulson, but her acting looks a little labored next to Kathy Bates, who is fantastic. I haven't checked spoilers, but so would love to see the gorgeous Angela Bassett make an appearance in addition to Jessica Lange. There's something about seeing fierce female actors - many of whom are way "over the hill" in Hollywood terms - killing it together that makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

No! I need more Billy Eichner! Please let there be some diseased, zombified survivors, 'cause I love his aura of snark.

Cody Fern will do an excellent job as Lestat. Or that Twilight head vampire dude. Or whomever. You can tell he's gonna give it 100% and that's really what I love about most AHSs. Embrace the insanity.

3 hours ago, WednesdayAddams said:

After reading this thread, I am reminded that I don't remember what the hell happened in the Murder House season...

The only thing I remember about the Murder House season was every scene that Alexandra Breckenridge appeared in wearing her maid uniform.

God, I love AHS. Glad to read it has been renewed for another 2 seasons. Joan Collins is so funny and I just love Evan Peters. This guy is just so talented, not to mention he is incredibly HOT. Is he still dating Emma Roberts?  And I found out something new. I did not know that Billie Lourd's mom was Carrie Fisher.  Her acting is okay and does not bother me. TBH, Carrie Fisher was okay in her acting too. I never considered her to be an outstanding, Oscar worthy actress. But that is just my opinion. Kathy Bates works wonders with any character she gets to play and I really think she is the best female character actress of our time.  

Anyways, I don't have much times to watch TV, just a few shows. But I will never miss an episode of AHS.  Looking forward to next week and another episode of AHS. Wishing my life away, but it's for a good cause.

14 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

I'm still cracking up at Leslie's character yelling from off-screen for her assistant to "Come stick your finger down my throat so I can throw up," when they learned about the Stu Stew.  LMAO!

Me too.  I got emotional at how real it all felt and then I started thinking, shit, this could actually happen at any moment right now!  

Same here. That line made me laugh the hardest. :) Her hair cracked me up, too. Mine is now awful, I relate to the frizzy nightmare hair.

I liked the opening, but I wasn't that thrilled with the rest of it. Was something dragging the horses into a bush, and eating them? Poor horses. 

6 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

One of the babies died and the other was kidnapord by Constance

He was probably talking about the human race killing ourselves.   Someone pressing that little red nuke button.  “I can’t believe we did it.  I can’t believe we finally destroyed ourselves.”

I thought so, too. 

Billy eichner will probably be back. Either in a flashback, or just in some other way. 

7 hours ago, BeeBop88 said:

God, I love AHS. Glad to read it has been renewed for another 2 seasons. Joan Collins is so funny and I just love Evan Peters. This guy is just so talented, not to mention he is incredibly HOT. Is he still dating Emma Roberts?  And I found out something new. I did not know that Billie Lourd's mom was Carrie Fisher.  Her acting is okay and does not bother me. TBH, Carrie Fisher was okay in her acting too. I never considered her to be an outstanding, Oscar worthy actress. But that is just my opinion. Kathy Bates works wonders with any character she gets to play and I really think she is the best female character actress of our time.  

I didn't know this either until about halfway through the run of Scream Queens.  And then I had a "duh, lol" moment when I realized that's why they had her wearing those earmuffs all the time as an homage to her mom.

7 hours ago, BeeBop88 said:

Anyways, I don't have much times to watch TV, just a few shows. But I will never miss an episode of AHS.  Looking forward to next week and another episode of AHS. Wishing my life away, but it's for a good cause.

I hear you.  They are fine, but not exactly up to the level of Debbie Reynolds.

I am probably the only person who would rate Cult as my second favorite.  Then again I really enjoyed Hotel and Roanoke so who am I to judge.  

I loved Hotel. So there!

I mean, real talk, I think I'd rather be eliminated in the blast. Boredom, nutrition cubes, cannibalism, and at the end of it you probably die anyway?

Same. And I don't do well with fictional apocalyptic scenarios--I get so nervous hypothesizing about being able to get where I want to be during one that I freak myself right out.

Edited by TattleTeeny

I'm not so sure about this season. I have loved even the seasons that everyone else hated. I even loved Roanoke. I just accept that halfway through the season this show is always going to go completely off the rails and drop storylines and make no sense. Having said that, I can't stand the claustrophobic feel of this first episode. I know that's part of the point, but it's really irking me. I have a little claustrophobia, and it's just making this really unpleasant to watch in a way that isn't working for me.

I really liked Roanoke until it sort of fell apart at the end.  I loved Hotel, I thought it was the most stylish and atmospheric of all the seasons and Denis O'Hare was great.  I also liked Coven a lot.

Edited by Dobian

I didn't love it. I really wish the world-ending stuff had lasted a lot longer than it did. That was terrifying and thrilling and I think, a lot more interesting than the underground bunker thing. I was kinda bored through that.

Also, do we have to have animal deaths every freaking season? Ugh. I hid my face as soon as they showed the horses.

I think it's quite likely we will have more pre-apocalypse flashback scenes. I think it would have been nice if the entire first episode was devoted to introducing all the "guests" just prior to the nuclear attack, like it did with the first two segments. We didn't really even get a chance to meet Stu and his boyfriend until we saw them in the outpost and we had no introduction to Dinah either. 

The Morlocks served the Eloi 

for dinner, you mean. :-)

I haven't checked spoilers, but so would love to see the gorgeous Angela Bassett make an appearance in addition to Jessica Lange. 

Angela Bassett is on Ryan Murphy's other cheesy show, 9-1-1. I suppose an appearance is possible but I read an article that spelled out every former cast member that would be showing up this season and she wasn't listed. There were probably scheduling conflicts. 

1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

I think it's quite likely we will have more pre-apocalypse flashback scenes.

I hope that the coven and the other murder house characters aren't going to show up only in flashbacks.

Well that was interesting. I didn't love it but I also didn't hate it. I always give AHS a few episodes before making a decision. And I'm one of the weirdos that loved Roanoke :)

I'm really curious how the witches will be factoring into the story.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Angela Bassett is on Ryan Murphy's other cheesy show, 9-1-1. I suppose an appearance is possible but I read an article that spelled out every former cast member that would be showing up this season and she wasn't listed. There were probably scheduling conflicts. 

It would be nice if she appeared, her Marie Laveau was awesome.

On 9/13/2018 at 2:10 PM, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I just assumed it meant the newscaster was part of the Deep State/Illuminati-type group that organized the apocalypse. And, whelp, now we know the Cooperative prepared for just this (though, not exactly giving their people much of a heads up on the WHEN), so I assume that the Cooperative detonated all of the bombs and were the people who came to take the college-bound kid, even though they claimed to be from the government.

What kills me is that they FILLED this bunker with a lifetime supply of hair gel and Victorian-style garb—you know how much closet space EACH one of those ballgowns takes up?!?! But no food? Granted, maybe they DO have Gordon Ramsey back there and Sarah and Kathy (don’t know any character’s names yet) gorge themselves on Pirate’s Booty every night while yukking it up over terrorizing these people. But this Cooperative didn’t plan very well—too damn focused on the aesthetics of it all that they forgot any practical supplies. I think it’s hilarious that everyone went from a basic 2018 look (bitch, your haircut “nobody has” is a basic medium-length blunt cut) to suddenly 2 weeks later, we need to make our heads “post-apocalyptic futuristic” with more Aqua-Net spray than used in the entire decade of the 1980s (ok, NOW you have a hairstyle nobody else has), and then throw on the dark, harsh makeup straight out of every post-apocalyptic movie. But, let’s go with Victorian clothes to really make the mood. Then this head guy from the Cooperative outdoes them all by somehow finding an early 19th century carriage to travel in?!? Sir, where did you find this carriage in 2018...or even 2020 if it’s now a year and a half later?! Oh, come on! You’re trying a little too hard there, wardrobe and prop departments.

I took it to mean that we, as a species finally succeeded in ending the world.  

That's all I read into it as well. The newscaster wasn't played by anyone of note so I don't expect this to be a plot point they will revisit or one that had any significant meaning. 

On 9/13/2018 at 4:42 PM, Token said:

$100 million per person and that's what you get?  Shitty goth clothes, food cubes, and Stu stew?

Don't dis the cubes. The better part of two years and nobody's lost any meaningful weight? Great stuff. The $100 mil was just to limit the potential customers. I'm sure the leadership spent a lot of it on themselves too, but most of it probably didn't get spent before it became worthless.

20 hours ago, Surrealist said:

And when the issue of class became obvious, my initial thought was H.G. Wells' Time Machine with the Eloi and Morlocks. Not the same story, per se, but the idea's there. The Morlocks served the Eloi and were kept separate.

By kept separate, you mean the Morlocks didn't socialize with the "chickens", unlike here.