Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E21: Whatever Remains, However Improbable

17 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

SEASON FINALE!

Original airdate 9/17/18

Thank you for this post because I invited 10 people over to watch the Emmys on Sunday and because we are all such creatures of habit none of us realized that the Emmys are on a Monday this year until I saw this post!

The episode title is from a canon ACD quote: "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" The Sign of the Four, Chapter 6. Holmes made similar statements in other stories.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I find it hilarious that Elementary Season Finale is the week before the Fall Season begins.  

If God truly loved us, the seventh season would begin the week after the sixth season ended.

• Love 19
On 9/16/2018 at 1:50 PM, chitowngirl said:

Does anyone know if this was filmed before they knew they had to add episodes to this season? Or before they got renewed for season 7?

According to JLM's Instagram, they finished filming this season in early April. Going back in the media thread, the announcement for season 7 was made in mid-May. So it seems like at the time they thought this could be the series finale. That said, most show-runners don't tend to treat a season finale like a series finale unless they're absolutely sure they've been cancelled, so they very well could have ended on some kind of cliff hanger regardless, or at least not wrapped everything up neatly. Plus they've been shooting season 7 since July... I don't know much about TV production, but maybe they could have shot a new ending scene (if they thought it was necessary) for this season while everyone was gathered for the new season?

Edited by dargosmydaddy
numbers are not my friends...
  • Love 5

cannot understand why cbs is airing this episode opposite the emmys. annoyed as i am with nbc for pushing the emmys to monday, i at least understand the logic, given the ratings football draw. but, the logic of cbs's decision to air a ncis la rerun instead of elementary's season finale eludes me.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

cannot understand why cbs is airing this episode opposite the emmys. annoyed as i am with nbc for pushing the emmys to monday, i at least understand the logic, given the ratings football draw. but, the logic of cbs's decision to air a ncis la rerun instead of elementary's season finale eludes me.

I think many shows new seasons are starting next week and there wouldn't have been room for Elementary.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Trey said:
23 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

I think many shows new seasons are starting next week and there wouldn't have been room for Elementary.

not sure of your point. i was suggesting that cbs run the elementary season finale last night, the 16th -- instead of a ncis la rerun -- which wouldn't have interferred with rolling out the new season. 

• Love 1

If Michael's killer is not Joan or Sherlock, who is left?  A hit man hired by Moriarty, or Morland, or Everyone?  Gregson's daughter?  Mrs. Hudson?  Maybe it was Kitty?

Quoting myself from the Fit to Be Tied Thread to say I called it, I called it, I called it!  OK, so Gregson's daughter was one of several possibilities I mentioned, but I couldn't understand why the Bureau wouldn't be looking at the family and friends of Michael's victims.  

I thought it was shitty of Gregson to put the blame on Sherlock for bringing Michael into their lives.  Gregson has never completely trusted Sherlock and his methods, and has never failed to point out Sherlock's ethical shortcomings during investigations.  But he's willing to let Sherlock's and Joan's life and work be forever altered, because his daughter decided to take the law in her own hands? 

I would have been really OK with that ending if it was the series finale, but I too am wondering what's next.  Will they be based in London for the 7th season, and does that mean that Aidan Quinn and Jon Michael Hill are leaving the show?  Even if Hannah confesses, Sherlock's committed a couple of felonies - lying to a federal agent and obstruction of justice - which would make returning to the US a bit sticky.    

• Love 20

Oh Sherlock. Hannah wasn't worth it. 

That really seemed like a series finale, and it would have been a decently satisfying one if it was, especially with the last scene. But if they have next season be set in London, it might be fun to see Joan and Sherlock in their city of origin. I would miss Bell though, hopefully he could stop by when he isnt doing Marshal stuff. I will probably want closure with Gregson too by that time, but he is currently on my shit list after this episode, so I cant be arsed to care about that right now. 

Is the FBI lady somehow related to Agent Watson from Arrow? Another annoying federal agent that is so smugly obsessed with catching one of the heroes and sending them to jail for stuff they either didnt do or had clear reasons to do, that they let the actual bad guys go, and spend more time chasing the good guys around than actually trying to stop any bad guys? Are they both related to General Ross from the MCU, who are all members of the the Watchers Council from Buffy, or any number of this asshole authority figures/groups that say they're trying to stop evil, but seem more interested in screwing with, trying to persecute/imprison/kill, and generally being dicks to the obvious good guys, for the terrible crime of actually trying to do their damn jobs?! 

• Love 23

Hatty Doran and Lord St. Simon are from the ACD story "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor."

Disappointed not to see Clyde. But by UK law, apparently a tortoise can be brought in if he has a statement of good health from a veterinarian. (The UK is concerned about rabies, which only mammals can get, not reptiles.)

Among bees, only the queen and drone have sex. But fetishes don't have to be logical.

Sherlock said "That's our team name" but due to interference I didn't hear what the name was.

• Love 8

I teared up or cried so many times during this episode. Every time Sherlock was protective of Joan I just about died.

They telegraphed the killer pretty early on. The press release for this episode listed the character of Hannah, the previously made sure to mention Hannah's roommate's death, and Gregson looked wrecked as fuck when Sherlock approached him at his house that first time. I'm surprised Sherlock didn't notice how weird he was acting then.

Also, they definitely either filmed multiple endings or re shot the finale because I came across an article months ago that had filming pics from the finale and Joan clearly had a baby stroller in those pictures. Liu and Miller with the baby stroller

Ignore the commentary about the characters getting together and just focus on the picture.

I kept expecting Joan to come out with a baby stroller or for her to mention the nanny was watching the baby or something and it never happened. I'm kind of disappointed we won't see a kid running around and now that whole adoption storyline feels like a total waste of time. 

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

, but he is currently on my shit list after this episode, so I cant be arsed to care about that right now. 

The writers are on mine "what were you thinking" list.  I haven't liked this story line at all and this just cinches it.  What is about shows feeling the need to tear down the families they've built up?

Hatty Doran and Lord St. Simon are from the ACD story "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor."

Thanks for sharing this, Driad!

Edited by elle
  • Love 5

I thought Sherlock was the one being a jerk.  He told Joan that he would help her cover it up if she did it.  So when he found out Hannah did it, he should have understood it immediately and offered to help Gregson.  I really thought Joan was going to tell him what a jerk he was being.  Ultimately he did help cover it up, but for a few minutes it looked like he was going to let Gregson and Hannah go to prison.

The final scene was cute.  I don't know whats in store for season 7, but Bell and Gregson are in it.  I hope we don't have to wait until April to see it.

• Love 4

You know, I think this episode was also trying to tie the various subplots of this season together. Sherlock reconnecting with his dad and his contacts in the UK, Joan's mom not being a good alibi because of her dementia, the parent/child bond with Hannah and Gregson and Joan's adoption and how that made her feel more empathy for Gregson, and knowing this would screw up her chances, and, of course, Michael the self help serial killer. 

Even with the often separate subplots, I still thought this was a good season. The subplots were at least better than some previous ones, and I really liked some of them, like Bell joining the Marshall's, and we had a lot of good case episodes and character interactions. This could easily be a good ending season, and a solid series finale, but I am excited to see what happens next. Maybe they can even get Natalie Dormer to show up one more time, back in London where it all started? 

Plus, we need another season to clear up who is watching Clyde. WHO IS WATCHING CLYDE!?!?!

• Love 19

If they film the next season in England, I am just imagining the number of guest stars they could have on the series. Most of America's most famous actors are British and would probably be lining up for small parts on Elementary. The stunt casting might be phenomenal.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Sherlock said "That's our team name" but due to interference I didn't hear what the name was.

He said that “I Did Not Kill Michael Rowan” was the name of the club he and Joan would be forming.

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Is the FBI lady somehow related to Agent Watson from Arrow? Another annoying federal agent that is so smugly obsessed with catching one of the heroes and sending them to jail for stuff they either didnt do or had clear reasons to do, that they let the actual bad guys go, and spend more time chasing the good guys around than actually trying to stop any bad guys? Are they both related to General Ross from the MCU, who are all members of the the Watchers Council from Buffy, or any number of this asshole authority figures/groups that say they're trying to stop evil, but seem more interested in screwing with, trying to persecute/imprison/kill, and generally being dicks to the obvious good guys, for the terrible crime of actually trying to do their damn jobs?! 

Parminder Nagra was actually on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. playing a senator who in her own way was just as thorny as Agent Mallick, so I assume they’re all in their own sort of club.

The ending was beautiful. I’m glad we’re getting more show, and I’d love for them to spend some significant time as Holmes/Watson in London, but as an almost series finale, those last few scenes between Sherlock and Joan were pretty near perfect.

Edited by kickingnames
  • Love 11

Wasn't Parminder Nagra's character on the Blacklist also a federal agent? Same character without the accent. That's the thing her American accent is phony it sounds too cliche and seems like she has to speak in a different tone and has some issue with s's-eh I'm prejudiced by her natural speaking voice which is fine by me.

And yes how will he everyone weasel out of their precarious positions and issue's next year. Corrupt cop wins again.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The only thing I liked was the last five minutes. I thought the rest was ridiculous. Oh I did like Marcus standing by Sherlock and Joan.

IMHO Marcus should had been seen more. As really wasted him as he was there for a good five minutes about.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

If they film the next season in England, I am just imagining the number of guest stars they could have on the series. Most of America's most famous actors are British and would probably be lining up for small parts on Elementary. The stunt casting might be phenomenal.

The bolded is an interesting perspective, I have not found that to be true.

Loved this episode, but it did feel like the London scene was shoe-horned in after they found out there would be another season. Maybe it’s just because I loved the previous scene so much, it was perfectly bittersweet.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

If they are in London next season, I'll be so excited.

I think they'll be in London for maybe the first episode or two, but then they'll move back to New York.  They've put too damn much money in the sets to completely change them out or toss them.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 4

When Sherlock was saying goodbye in the brownstone...was that the first time he called her "Joan"?  I've only heard "Watson" (often shouted at the top of his lungs).

38 minutes ago, johntfs said:

I think they'll be in London for maybe the first episode or two, but then they'll move back to New York.  They'be put too damn much money in the sets to completely change them out or toss them.

Makes sense...but how can a confessed murderer not be thrown immediately into NY Jail?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, link417 said:
6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The bolded is an interesting perspective, I have not found that to be true.

Loved this episode, but it did feel like the London scene was shoe-horned in after they found out there would be another season. Maybe it’s just because I loved the previous scene so much, it was perfectly bittersweet.

Yeah you might be right, but there are a lot of British, Canadian and Australian actors that are very recognizable as major TV and Movie stars. Actors from the Harry Potter films, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who, and Downton Abbey might be readily recognized British actors. I would love to see short cameos from Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman where they are implied to be Holmes and Watson or rival detectives. Idris Elba, Emma Watson, Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie, and John Cleese‎ might be enticed to do a small part. Being such a small tight knit country, Jonny Lee Miller probably already has all of these stars in his Rolodex. Maybe even Meghan Markle could walk out of Holmes' office and Holmes implies the Royal Family has some problem that needs solving. A lot of the Sherlock Holmes stories start by having Sherlock talking to clients, either just solving some case or considering whether a new case is worthy of his talents, this would be a great place to do a lot of stunt casting that could be really "Meta". Maybe Natalie Dormer will have enough free time to Moriarty for a few episodes.

8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

He did say that Bell and Gregson were part of "their family unit", so he gets a temporary pass....Hannah turns into the new Dexter and moves to Florida.....

• Love 3
On 9/17/2018 at 10:29 PM, tennisgurl said:

Except that in the real world, you know you'd be Team Mallick all the way.  And so would I.  We watch Joan and Sherlock from the safety of our TVs/computers/etc.  We know them.  We like them.  We empathize and sympathize with them.

But come on.  In the real world where we have to live they'd be fucking terrifying.  Think about it.  You have two people advising/consulting the police, handling and gathering evidence, interrogating suspects and otherwise influencing police investigation.  There's no real oversite of them aside from the cops themselves (who are motivated to close cases and arrest perpetrators).  Oh and they'll sometimes break into places and gather evidence without warrants.  Sometimes they'll involve some weird group of hackers and "irregulars" even further removed from police oversight that they are.  Oh, and if they think you're despicable enough or likely to escape justice enough, they'll frame you. 

If someone they like kidnaps you and burns your face off because that someone thinks you did a horrible thing to them, they're cool with helping that person escape.

So yeah, in terms of TV we cheer for Sherlock and Joan and hope they'll find a way to return to NYC to solve crimes again.  But if people like this were actually doing this stuff in the real world, we'd be praying to God for an Agent Mallick to close them the fuck down before they destroyed our lives or the lives of our friends.

Edited by johntfs
  • Useful 1
  • Love 21
13 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

not sure of your point. i was suggesting that cbs run the elementary season finale last night, the 16th -- instead of a ncis la rerun -- which wouldn't have interferred with rolling out the new season. 

I guess I misunderstood you. 

While I loved the last bit in London, and could have lived with that as a series finale, I really hated that Joan was left with her innocence unproven to everyone. And I am really, really disappointed in Gregson.  He should have had the guts to do the right thing.

• Love 10

Well, the last scene would have made a perfect show finale except for the fact to get there they had to resort to the tried trope of an FBI agent-channeling-Javert, to throw Gregson's character under the bus and to sacrifice Bell's career as well. Even if Malick drops her threat in the eyes of everyone in law-enforcement he's tainted by association and by his refusal to help bring Watson to justice.

I was also getting a tad annoyed by everyone developing an immense savior complex all of a sudden. Not to mention that it was all done for the sake of a character who had already been pivotal of someone in Team Sherlock going rogue. Last time Hanna was the victim but this time she was the perpetrator and given the consequences of her actions I have a really hard time accepting that she got off scot-free. It's all the more galling because after Michael's attack on Watson all she had to do was give the info of his whereabouts to the police.

Her revenge did not just leave all the unknown victim's families without closure,  it wrecked havoc on her father and Bell's career, put a stain on Watson (not to mention Sherlock) and (although they glossed over that nicely) put an end to Watson's attempts to adoption even in the UK. I already found it a stretch that she and Sherlock are okay to consult with Scotland Yard - MI6 must be a lot chattier than I would assume. As far as UK law enforcement is concerned one of them must be a murderer. 

Oh, well - since it wasn't the ultimate finale they will have to find a way to bring them back to NY and hopefully clear their names by doing so.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Applause 1
  • Love 12

Boy, this would have been a great series finale - I was in tears at the end, during the conversation in the brownstone. Oh, and my elation at seeing them in London together! It was perfect.

It's going to feel really weird to have them back at it again next spring (?) - and how they will ever get back to NY I don't know.

I really hate Hannah now for doing this to them - was she just going to let Joan go on trial and most likely jail for that? And Gregson - yikes! Could he have really lived with Joan facing that? I can't really believe that.

In a way, I wish we had seen it through the end that way, I would have liked to see what they would have done with the Gregson family in reaction to that. Gregson is such a good cop I just can't believe he would have let such a travesty of justice continue no matter what he said to Sherlock.

I just read the interview with the showrunner posted in the media thread - I'm actually glad now that they didn't know they were renewed. He said we would have seen a lot more of Michael. I'm so glad we didn't. Any of these yearly plots (like Shinwell) just drag the show down for me *so* much. I feel like we had just enough of him for my taste.

• Love 14

I don't know why shows like Elementary (and The Flash) feel the need to focus on season-long arcs like Michael or Shinwell.  I hate those things!  They always drag on for way too long and they tend to drain the charm out of the characters we've come to enjoy.  Mini-arcs of a few episodes may be fine, but trying to drag out a serial killer story like Michael for an entire season is a real stretch.  As it was, Michael was only in about 7 episodes, but it still felt really long for him to be caught.  Much better criminals on this show are captured in a single episode!

I hated this episode until the very end; then I was really happy with the results.

Going forward, I would think that Gregson and Bell are out as regulars (?).  I mean, they could somehow find a convoluted way of keeping them, but Bell should be working with the US Marshals by now, and they've burned Gregson as an ally way too badly to bring him back.

Hannah is bad news.  I was thinking back to the episodes she's been in over the years, and she always brings misery to at least one of the cast members.  I can't believe everyone is covering up for her (again!).

• Love 14

Wow. So there were plot issues, but I thought the emotional tone of the show was excellent. Sherlock's comment that only Joan could see he was dying, him not being able to use the word "happy" when he was trying to tell her that he finally was, that ending ... wow.

I'm so disappointed in Gregson, even though I understand why he did it. I hope in the next season there is a gradual, difficult reconciliation between him and Sherlock and Joan, but that will require (for me) Hannah doing the right thing. She was terrible -- would she really have let Joan go to prison? Let her father ruin his career? I hope she does the right thing eventually and confesses, and I think she owes it to her father to keep his involvement a secret.

Mallick was annoying in her conviction that Joan did it (she had two broken ribs!), but she didn't have the evidence we/Sherlock and co. had, and I'm glad she wasn't the killer or even the one who framed Joan. Speaking of, is there a definitive answer to why Michael said "Joan" in that message? Did he see it was a woman attacking him, and assumed it was she?

If they do go back to NYC next season (presumably because Hannah told the truth or something), I hope it's temporary, or they split their time between London and here, because I love the idea of Joan in 221A.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, beadgirl said:

Speaking of, is there a definitive answer to why Michael said "Joan" in that message? Did he see it was a woman attacking him, and assumed it was she?

I believe you are correct that he thought the woman was Joan.  Hannah would never have crossed his mind.

• Love 1

When Gregson said Hannah didn't know they were being recorded and that she didn't hear him say "Joan," I thought we were going to find out that Mallick had framed Joan after all. I kept waiting for it, but that point was never brought up again. 

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Makenna said:

Also, they definitely either filmed multiple endings or re shot the finale because I came across an article months ago that had filming pics from the finale and Joan clearly had a baby stroller in those pictures. Liu and Miller with the baby stroller

Spoiler

That's probably from next season's filming, which began several months ago. The showrunners have said there will be a time jump, and next season will begin one year from this season's finale. Joan may have adopted a child in that time, or will be closer to adoption. The article says it's from their "set in New York," but the cars have UK license plates.

This season finale was a little "meh" for me. Plot contrivances made for a lot of manufactured drama, but little else. I hope next season's new location brings fresh perspective and ideas, instead trying to shoehorn yet another character plot arch like Kitty, Shinwell, and Michael.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

That really seemed like a series finale, and it would have been a decently satisfying one if it was, especially with the last scene. But if they have next season be set in London, it might be fun to see Joan and Sherlock in their city of origin. I would miss Bell though, hopefully he could stop by when he isnt doing Marshal stuff. I will probably want closure with Gregson too by that time, but he is currently on my shit list after this episode, so I cant be arsed to care about that right now. 

I don't think they did it for Hannah, I think they did it for Gregson.

2 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

Boy, this would have been a great series finale - I was in tears at the end, during the conversation in the brownstone. Oh, and my elation at seeing them in London together! It was perfect.

It's going to feel really weird to have them back at it again next spring (?) - and how they will ever get back to NY I don't know.

I really hate Hannah now for doing this to them - was she just going to let Joan go on trial and most likely jail for that? And Gregson - yikes! Could he have really lived with Joan facing that? I can't really believe that.

In a way, I wish we had seen it through the end that way, I would have liked to see what they would have done with the Gregson family in reaction to that. Gregson is such a good cop I just can't believe he would have let such a travesty of justice continue no matter what he said to Sherlock.

I just read the interview with the showrunner posted in the media thread - I'm actually glad now that they didn't know they were renewed. He said we would have seen a lot more of Michael. I'm so glad we didn't. Any of these yearly plots (like Shinwell) just drag the show down for me *so* much. I feel like we had just enough of him for my taste.

I think it's interesting. I don't think Gregson will be able to live with what he did. He is such a by the book cop that even doing this to save his daughter seems to go so against the grain of the character. I think if they are in NY next year and he is on the show it will be interesting to see him struggle with that.

• Love 10