Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E14: Finale

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, vdw84 said:

Do u all think Magda is going to be the one to replace taylor in Darius Routine on Tour? I personally would be happy if Genessy or Chelsea, I mean its going to have be a tall girl regardless to look right.ex added more sw

It will be interesting to see who they will decide.  Magda would obviously be in consideration because she was Darius' partner.  Magda's emotional maturity works in her favor.

If Chelsea can pull it off it allows her to be seen more while other dancers get a break.  Personally I don't know if Chelsea has the chops because we didn't really get the chance to see what she's got, and she didn't get a chance to grow with the experience and the rigors of being on the show week after week.  While I was completely disgusted by the fact that Chelsea was put in a ridiculously impossible situation when it came time for live competition, I also remember feeling when it came down to her and the other girl for top ten I felt the other girl was better, but Chelsea edged her out based on beauty.  I definitely had the vibe that several of the choreographers during academy had their doubts about her.   Maybe I misread that, IDK.  I still cannot overlook the fact that they completely cut off her ability to succeed by the dance genres she got when they went to live competition -- unforgivably cruel.

Uncertain if Genessy will have the gravitas to pull off the emotional side of the piece.  

Height or not, I wouldn't discount LoFro from begin assigned to this signature piece.   

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Tikichick said:

It will be interesting to see who they will decide.  Magda would obviously be in consideration because she was Darius' partner.  Magda's emotional maturity works in her favor.

If Chelsea can pull it off it allows her to be seen more while other dancers get a break.  Personally I don't know if Chelsea has the chops because we didn't really get the chance to see what she's got, and she didn't get a chance to grow with the experience and the rigors of being on the show week after week.  While I was completely disgusted by the fact that Chelsea was put in a ridiculously impossible situation when it came time for live competition, I also remember feeling when it came down to her and the other girl for top ten I felt the other girl was better, but Chelsea edged her out based on beauty.  I definitely had the vibe that several of the choreographers during academy had their doubts about her.   Maybe I misread that, IDK.  I still cannot overlook the fact that they completely cut off her ability to succeed by the dance genres she got when they went to live competition -- unforgivably cruel.

Uncertain if Genessy will have the gravitas to pull off the emotional side of the piece.  

Height or not, I wouldn't discount LoFro from begin assigned to this signature piece.   

I was actually shock that enjoyed Taylor in that number so much because I couldnt stand her in her season. She dances better than she ever did and she was just a great partnership for Darius in that time. I agree with u about Chelsea and Genessy may not have the chops, I think genessy may be too immature for the role and again I have no idea what Chelsea is capable of.  She just didnt get a chance to shine at all this season.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, vdw84 said:

I was actually shock that enjoyed Taylor in that number so much because I couldnt stand her in her season. She dances better than she ever did and she was just a great partnership for Darius in that time. I agree with u about Chelsea and Genessy may not have the chops, I think genessy may be too immature for the role and again I have no idea what Chelsea is capable of.  She just didnt get a chance to shine at all this season.

Watching Taylor in this piece and Lex in the tap number really showed their growth since their time on the show.  They both had dance skills, but struggled with the performance aspect of their work.  (It's why I supported Koine for the win.)  They both have improved greatly on that scale from what I saw.    

• Love 2
On 9/11/2018 at 12:34 AM, 1TrackMind said:

Was anyone else....kinda bored?  I didn't really look up from my laptop screen much this episode. I called Hannalei as the winner but I was pretty 'meh' overall on the top four anyway so maybe that apathy spilled over into the show overall.

I still haven't watched the finale (it's on my DVR)  and just came to this site today, Thursday, which should show you how apathetic I was to this season.  I am, however, delighted to read that Hannahlei won so I will watch the finale and just FF through Vanessa's comments as I usually do as well as any other uninteresting parts. 

• Love 2
On 9/12/2018 at 1:58 PM, Tikichick said:

I expected that Lex as a trained dancer would be capable of tap.  I honestly thought he outshone Evan, which surprised me on a few levels.  

I thought they did a great job with the number.  I wouldn't expect them to come anywhere close to the Nicholas Brothers, if for no other reason than you're talking a couple guys who were paired for a routine days ago, versus brothers who danced together how many years.  That's not even taking into consideration the completely extraordinary skills the Nicholas Brothers had.

You are absolutely right and I shouldn't have expected Nicholas Brothers tap and athletic prowess.  Nigel said the routine was in the style of The Nicholas Brothers. That is was.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

You are absolutely right and I shouldn't have expected Nicholas Brothers tap and athletic prowess.  Nigel said the routine was in the style of The Nicholas Brothers. That is was.

I love watching Nicholas Brothers clips.  They were extraordinary.  I agree that Nigel was just talking about the style and not that Evan and Lex would match them.  They did a great job but for all the reasons that Tikichick mentioned, that would be too much to ask for. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, vdw84 said:

I believe Jensen is going get the opportunity to be on dwts over Cole and Magda which to me are much better ballroom dancers. Jensen danced better in other styles than she does her main genre. Jensen has more pull unfortunately. Speaking of pull, I wonder why kiki hasnt jumped on the dwts badwagon since he has good with the chosen couple Val and Jenna.

Kiki was actually part of the original troupe, years ago. He did three seasons. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I still haven't watched the finale (it's on my DVR)  and just came to this site today, Thursday, which should show you how apathetic I was to this season.  I am, however, delighted to read that Hannahlei won so I will watch the finale and just FF through Vanessa's comments as I usually do as well as any other uninteresting parts. 

The first time I watched, I literally fast-forwarded through all the talking and just watched the performances and the final reveal of the winner. But I just watched the entire finale, comments and all, with my sister and honestly it wasn't that bad LOL. Even Vanessa wasn't really that annoying. It also helped remind me how great Hannahlei has been all season.

• Love 3

Darius was my favorite this season.  I had Magda as my girl until she did the hip hop.  After Magda left, I picked up JayJay.  Then it became 6 of one and half dozen of the other.  But I felt that Hannahlei had a good support system when she didn't end up in the bottom after the disco and stepping.  She's obviously talented.  My eyes just weren't drawn to her despite being lifted all the time--even by Genessy. 

I enjoyed Jensen also.  I thought Jensen was better at hip hop.  Hannahlei did good in her ballroom routines but Jensen did good in her contemporary/jazz routines.  But I think Hannahlei was better at her specialty than Jensen was in hers.   

Anyway, since my favorites weren't in the running, she was a good choice--versatile and had a couple standouts.  I loved the cha cha albeit mainly because of Cole and her box hip hop albeit mainly because of Fik-Shun. 

Hopefully we'll get a Season 16.  And maybe they'll cut down the audition time and increase the competition part.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, luvthepros said:

It was a breath of fresh air and kind of a treat to see at least a well done nod to a style not often presented on television anymore.  It seems they're realizing it makes sense to dial down some of the contemporary lyrical fixation dominating everything.  (Not that I don't enjoy an imaginative emotional contemp)  African jazz picked up some of the slack this season and personally I'm gaining more of an appreciation for it as time goes on.  Sean Cheesman was a real standout for me this season and I have to say I really enjoy relying on him to bring solidly creative work without making it about him dominating the conversation.  

One thing I did miss and have a soft spot for is Jean Marc's playful silliness in his rehearsals.  I never have the feeling he's trying to upstage the dancers in the rehearsal footage, just trying to do something that relaxes their anxieties and maybe disarms what the audience might see as the formality of ballroom.  All I know is I wind up smiling and maybe laughing along the way at his absurd silliness.    

• Love 8

Meh!  I didn't really care for anyone in this top four, but Slavik was just not good IMO and I don't understand why he was amongst the finalists!  IMO Magda and Darius should have been in the final four and they were robbed.  Glad they got to perform "Fever" again.  They were so sophisticated and elegant in that number.  It was a weird season overall and not a lot of memorable routines, maybe just because it is an aging show and there's not a lot they can do to spruce up the formula without making it a totally different show.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Blue Plastic said:

Meh!  I didn't really care for anyone in this top four, but Slavik was just not good IMO and I don't understand why he was amongst the finalists!  IMO Magda and Darius should have been in the final four and they were robbed.  Glad they got to perform "Fever" again.  They were so sophisticated and elegant in that number.  It was a weird season overall and not a lot of memorable routines, maybe just because it is an aging show and there's not a lot they can do to spruce up the formula without making it a totally different show.

Its really not much u can do with the show because it is what it is. They have tried I think all they can try as far as stepping out of the box, they did juniors and allstar season but that is as far as it can go and Now nigel thinks it would be a good idea to add a celeb season and I totally disagree because they already have their career or had their careers. This show was based on helping young inspired dancers fullfill their dreams of furthering their career. Celebs just do not fit is this format and it would be way too close to home with dwts which we do not need.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, vdw84 said:

Its really not much u can do with the show because it is what it is. They have tried I think all they can try as far as stepping out of the box, they did juniors and allstar season but that is as far as it can go and Now nigel thinks it would be a good idea to add a celeb season and I totally disagree because they already have their career or had their careers. This show was based on helping young inspired dancers fullfill their dreams of furthering their career. Celebs just do not fit is this format and it would be way too close to home with dwts which we do not need.

I hope they don't go this route.  One of the reasons why I prefer SYTYCD over WOD is that it does give a chance to find young inspiring dancers.  We get surprises that way and it feels more raw.  I was disappointed when WOD had established dancers in the first and second seasons.  They got new ones too but it was hard to compete against those that already made it.  And I don't want to follow the DWTS formula because we get a lot of terrible dances that way.  It's tough enough getting dancers to dance out of their genre.  It would be worse if there were non-dancer celebs.

• Love 4

I started watching live last Monday, saw the opening number and got interrupted and finished the show today.  I don’t know if that says more about me or the current state of the show.

I did, however, enjoy the reprisals.  Especially “Runaway Baby” which will never fail to make me smile and if they didn’t include it the entire show would have been a waste of time.

Cole is just divine to me.  I was so sad when he was voted out.  If he joins DWTS I may actually watch that show for the first time ever. He looked so good in the cha cha (? that was the style with Hannahlei, yeah?).

Honestly the tap routine made me realize Lex was a very worthy winner.

”Fever” was also SO GOOD.  Magda and Darius absolutely nailed the feeling I imagine Mandy was going for.  

tWitch.  Ahh, tWitch.  If it weren’t for Joshua, he would have been my favorite that season.  But he is such a grown man who can make any routine better.  I feel like he should just go around with Luther Brown dancing for no reason.  Loved his inclusion in the yellow raincoats.

I’m so angry the tour is coming nowhere near me because I want to see Cyrus and Cole.  I imagine Lauren is going to dance with Jay Jay, I wonder what role Cyrus is going to fill?

• Love 3

No.  Simply no to the idea of dancing with celebs on this show.  I could tune into DWTS if I wanted to see that -- and ask to be pulled into extremely manipulated ridiculousness based on the polarizing celebrities they scramble to cast.  No, no and no.  

After missing only 1-1/2 episodes of this show in all these seasons that would be the thing that would make me quit the show -- of course it wouldn't live long anyway, a pale imitation mutant copy of something that's already got a ton of miles on it on another, larger profile, network.  Even though by title priority you might assume DWTS puts dance first and SYTYCD puts it last, in fact it's always been the other way around.  That's what has kept me tuning in all these years.  It's not like the channel for DWTS has been a mystery I couldn't unlock.  

For the love of dance, NO.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Tikichick said:

No.  Simply no to the idea of dancing with celebs on this show.  I could tune into DWTS if I wanted to see that -- and ask to be pulled into extremely manipulated ridiculousness based on the polarizing celebrities they scramble to cast.  No, no and no. 

You reminded me another reason why it would just be NO!!.  For the most part, I like all the SYTYCD contestants.  Even if I don't want somebody to win, it's because of their dance ability and not their personality.  I like how all the contestants root for each other even though they are competing against each other.  It's true that I do see that in DWTS too.  But I don't like when they cast polarizing celebrities in the first place.   

• Love 3

I haven't watched the finale yet nor have I finished the 2nd to last episode.  And I used to live for this show.  The lack of All Stars made this show less interesting to me.  And there are no exciting contestants--Hannalei is good but not overly memorable.  ALSO--get rid of the judges and you'll save enough $ to not have to order the costumes out of a catalog.

47 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

I haven't watched the finale yet nor have I finished the 2nd to last episode.  And I used to live for this show.  The lack of All Stars made this show less interesting to me.  And there are no exciting contestants--Hannalei is good but not overly memorable.  ALSO--get rid of the judges and you'll save enough $ to not have to order the costumes out of a catalog.

To be fair to Hannahlei and the rest of the contestants I think this truncated season gave us no opportunity to get to know them.

I'd have much rather given up audition episodes to see more academy and live comp, particularly live comp.  Ditch the showing of the green mile, just jump in with the surprise as they come on to dance.

Most of all, this was the season to keep all ten all through the run, with voting being cumulative.  Doing so would have allowed them to change things up as they chose, not simply keep them static dancing with their partner each week.  Could have let their partnerships really blossom, throw in a week or two where they dance with All Stars, maybe let them dance in all female/all male groupings one week, etc.  It would have been an entirely fresh take for the show --all the while highlighting the best asset of the show -- great, exciting dance numbers.   Could have even announced final four the week before they competed for finale.

The winner might very well have still been exactly the same.  It's smartest to give the audience the win by showing what we actually tuned in for, great dancing.  That's what will keep people watching.

• Love 9