Type keyword(s) to search

The Favourite (2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I know I am so late coming to this, but I loved it. Olivia, Rachel, and Emma were awesome! And the dialogue was so biting and witty. How the hell did this lose Best Original Screenplay to Green Book?! It's a travesty.

Rachel killed it in those riding outfits.

• Love 10

Just saw it.  I thought it was amazing.  All three actresses were fantastic.  I thought Rachel Weisz was far and away the best.  Regina King is great, but Rachel got robbed of the Oscar. Her character was at the center of the story just as much as Emma Stone’s was.  I would have put Colman as Supporting and Weisz and Stone as Lead. 

The one thing I really didn’t care for was the weird soundtrack.  Loved the classical pieces.  But the weird music which was just long single intrusive notes was really strange.  

I can see why this movie isn't for everyone.  The graphic scenes and gratuitous language really did juxtapose from the beauty of the palace and everything around it.  I did enjoy it, although I could have done without the puking scenes.  Ugh.  But the performances are excellent, and the myopic fish-eye lens was creepy.  It's hard to say who was the best of the three, but I'm glad Olivia won the Oscar.  I would have been happy if she or Glenn Close had won it.

Spoiler

The final scene was eerie, to say the least.  The movie changes into a much darker tone once Sarah is effectively replaced by Abigail, but the final scene really hits it home.  Anne's slack expression (worsened by the stroke) the rocking motion as Abigail rubbed Anne's leg, combined with the head placement, definitely made for some disturbing imagery.  I'm not sure what all the rabbits signified there, but the rest seemed pretty clear.  Abigail has fallen from grace and is no longer anyone's "favourite" because her deviousness has finally been caught by the Queen.  Even her husband doesn't want her.  I think Anne actually became stronger at the end, because she only has herself to rely on at this point.  She no longer has a confidant.  I'm wondering if everyone ignored the obvious stroke she'd suffered because she already had so many ailments, and Sarah had always managed to smooth things over to keep people from worrying.

Abigail wasn't just the villain because she ingratiated herself with the Queen, it's that she disregards Sarah's political involvement, especially since Anne isn't able to make all those decisions herself.  Everyone, even Harley, has some concern with the war and its effects.  Abigail only cares for herself, and she's willing to throw Marlborough to the wolves, despite that he helped win the war for them.  It's just another example of Abigail's cruelty and selfishness.