Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: Thrift Store Date Night

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

I get that Si was upset with his clothes, but he really seemed mad. I bet he has a temper and it would not take much to set him off. She seemed to be very happy he was so unhappy, either that or it went over her head how mad he was. It was one of those times when you are trying not to act as mad as you really are.

• Love 10
18 minutes ago, Sweet iced tea said:

I get that Si was upset with his clothes, but he really seemed mad. I bet he has a temper and it would not take much to set him off. She seemed to be very happy he was so unhappy, either that or it went over her head how mad he was. It was one of those times when you are trying not to act as mad as you really are.

He wasn't laughing with Lauren, that's for sure. I think his THs downplayed how he really felt.

• Love 10
On 9/13/2018 at 12:15 PM, LisaWl7TR said:

I think Michelle is in the clear to drink up! 

Probably not advisable to mix alcohol with whatever heavy sedative JimBob slips into her milk to make her so freaking spaced out.

13 hours ago, LisaWl7TR said:

I also add borax to my thrift store clothes. 

Joy was Jill's buddy? 

Good move, I read/heard that the "thrift store smell" is actually mildew. 

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The thrift stores that I have shopped at must wash most of their clothes, because, when you enter the place it smells heavily of fabric softener or fabric sheets, as do the clothes.  It's so strong on the clothes that I have to normally wash them twice to get the smell out, since, I have allergies to most fragrances. And, they keep raising their prices.  I've stopped going so much.  It's a lot of work to sort through stuff, since, it's only divided by type and color, not size, and takes a long time for the hope that you will find a nice designer label in your size.  It has happened and I've found brand new items with original tags before, but, it took hours. I mainly stick with looking for sweaters and tops.   

I bet they spray them with Febreeze to kill the thrift store smell. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, MamaMax said:

Probably not advisable to mix alcohol with whatever heavy sedative JimBob slips into her milk to make her so freaking spaced out.

Good move, I read/heard that the "thrift store smell" is actually mildew. 

I bet they spray them with Febreeze to kill the thrift store smell. 

OMG....I never thought of that.  They have this big room in the back and it is loud, so, I assumed washer and dryers were going.  That would explain it though, because, I'm very allergic to Febreeze.  It's pleasant enough, but, makes feel like needles sticking in my throat when I'm around it. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think Si and Lauren are going to be one of those couples who spend the rest of their lives passive-aggressively making each other miserable. They both seem to get off on making digs at one another that are carefully disguised as humor. Si considers himself a comedian, Lauren tells him his jokes aren't funny. She's *allegedly* gluten-intolerant, he serves her flour tortillas. He tries to follow her healthy example by ordering salad, she puts it down because he smothered it in ranch. And this is all happening before the wedding. Can you imagine how bad it's gonna get once they settle into marriage and find it harder to act out their parts? Yikes.

They seem so ill-suited for one another, it isn't even funny.

Looks like Boob and What's-His-Face (Lauren's dad) fucked up.  What a shame.  Now SiRen are stuck for life.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

They seem so ill-suited for one another, it isn't even funny.

Looks like Boob and What's-His-Face (Lauren's dad) fucked up.  What a shame.  Now SiRen are stuck for life.

I don't know, maybe they have a dominant/submissive kink going on.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

Kendra is quite the little flirt.  They came back from the thrift store and she slithered right up to Joe and breathlessly cooed, "Were you naughty or nice?"  It seems that Jeremy wasn't going to be the only one riding the wild bull.

Well Joe is her husband- does that make her a flirt?! Isn’t the ideal that she’s supposed to be attracted to her husband? (I do think Joe & Kendra are genuinely attracted to, and interested in each other.) 

Perhaps it’s my own upbringing but “being a flirt” always had a negative connotation (especially for women), how you speak to your husband isn’t included in that. 

6 hours ago, BitterApple said:

For real. His wife had a miserable pregnancy, difficult labor and major surgery. I'm not giving Austin gold stars because he threw some Hot Pockets in the microwave for a few weeks. Taking care of Joy and Gideon is his responsibility, not optional volunteer work.

I know! I think because he didn’t grown up in a mega family like Joy he just assumed the baby would show up and be “her thing” not a member of THEIR family. Even in these heavily patriarchal mega families, there are so many small kids, the males know how all consuming they can be. Granted it’s still “Women’s work” but if the woman is ill etc they have to step up (JB changed for more diapers and did more childcare with the first 7/8kids then Austin’s dad has probably done).

• Love 5

Well Joe is her husband- does that make her a flirt?! Isn’t the ideal that she’s supposed to be attracted to her husband? (I do think Joe & Kendra are genuinely attracted to, and interested in each other.) 

Perhaps it’s my own upbringing but “being a flirt” always had a negative connotation (especially for women), how you speak to your husband isn’t included in that. 

No, no, nothing wrong with being a flirt.  If it wasn't for flirtatious behavior, most of us wouldn't exist!  I'm actually impressed with her skills in that department for someone who had her first boyfriend (although she supposedly dated Jed first), first kiss, wedding and first kid in a little over a year's time.  Jessa, on the other hand, I can see using her flirting skills as a manipulation tool and I'm not down with that.

• Love 12
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:16 PM, mythoughtis said:

When you go from never having an unmonitored conversation with someone to living with them 24/7, you have no idea how to express your opinion, or how to disagree about anything.  There is a reason why the rest of us encourage dating, and lots of social interaction with others for our offspring. 

These children go into marriage with a totally unrealistic idea of how it actually works. That first year is hard enough ( as I remember well) without the stupidity that is courtship. 

Add to that that Duggar kids aren't really allowed to express their feelings--or, heck, even FEEL any genuine feelings, as there are only a few permissible feelings to feel--and yeah, marriage is going to be difficult.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:48 AM, MunichNark said:

i do wonder how they get such rose tinted glasses when theyve all grown up with disinterestes abusive parents who could not have given them a good idea about a healthy marriage

I think they have been so brainwashed that they keep brainwashing themselves. Look at JB's recent photo with Michelle who is apparently more beautiful than any sunset. JB/M lay it on suuuuuuuper thick that this is the way it's SUPPOSED to be all the time. So everyone carries on acting the part of lovebirds and saying their marriage is better than any other marriage that ever existed and they're soooooo happy etc etc etc.

• Love 8
59 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

(although she supposedly dated Jed first)

Oh I hadn't heard that! (I take periodic Duggar breaks, and their courtship was during that.) Is this just a rumor or is there pretty good supporting evidence?

8 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

No, no, nothing wrong with being a flirt.  If it wasn't for flirtatious behavior, most of us wouldn't exist!  I'm actually impressed with her skills in that department for someone who had her first boyfriend (although she supposedly dated Jed first), first kiss, wedding and first kid in a little over a year's time.  Jessa, on the other hand, I can see using her flirting skills as a manipulation tool and I'm not down with that.

Oh ok I see what you’re saying. Without the baby (goodness she’s young!) Kendra is like any young woman with her first real boyfriend (plenty of people don’t date until college). It helps that I think their feelings for each other are genuine, just wish they hadn’t had to get married and have a child to have this emotional experiences!

• Love 4
On 9/14/2018 at 12:05 PM, BitterApple said:

I think Si and Lauren are going to be one of those couples who spend the rest of their lives passive-aggressively making each other miserable. They both seem to get off on making digs at one another that are carefully disguised as humor. Si considers himself a comedian, Lauren tells him his jokes aren't funny. She's *allegedly* gluten-intolerant, he serves her flour tortillas. He tries to follow her healthy example by ordering salad, she puts it down because he smothered it in ranch. And this is all happening before the wedding. Can you imagine how bad it's gonna get once they settle into marriage and find it harder to act out their parts? Yikes.

Another thing I noticed that I don't think was mentioned here is when they were ordering their lunches in the restaurant, Lauren said to Si something like, "You're not going to order chicken nuggets again, are you?  Why don't you get something different?"  I thought that was so rude and controlling.  I noticed later that Si was eating what looked like chicken nuggets.  Run, Si.

• Love 9
On 9/12/2018 at 3:10 PM, toomuchtv said:

also... looked like the baby was watching something on someone's phone! Are tv/videos/internet not evil anymore? Maybe that aspect is changing for the next generation?

Most likely posting a picture of himself on Instagram.

On 9/12/2018 at 11:41 PM, Squirrely said:

The prices at Goodwill have gone up a LOT. I can go buy new clothes at some stores or on clearance at comparable prices anymore, even with the 10% off with the handy Goodwill card. I used to drive an hour plus to hit the locations in wealthy suburbs of Indianapolis for almost all of my daughter's clothes, but it's just not worth it anymore. I still get some good deals there on occasion, but not like I used to. 

I wasn't surprised at all at the $20 budget. 

I don’t know, I guess the prices are up if you’re buying crap, but I will say that 2/3 of my kids brand name clothes (Polo, Nautica, UA, Gymboree) come from Goodwill. I refuse to pay retail for that stuff. We have two Goodwills in an upper middle class town nearby and it blows my mind what people donate. I have never bought my girls a new Leo for gymnastics, for instance. They are $65 at the gym, and $3.50 at Goodwill.

On 9/14/2018 at 12:31 PM, Sweet iced tea said:

Si seems like a jerk and he and Lauren have such a simmering hostility under the surface. I also can’t stand they way Lauren is unable to complete and sentence and tilts her head to the side when she mumbles. 

I think Joe and Kendra are precious and are two very kindhearted and gentle people. I bet they’ll be great parents and their kids will grow up in a love-filled home. 

Jessa seems angry that she’s not the center of the baby attention. I was glad to see her nursing the baby. Even under a wrap I was surprised they showed it.

And speaking of boobs, uh, Joy must be a GG. Poor girl. She seems like she’s aged 10 years in one episode. What a sad life she has, and she doesn’t even have a somewhat fun or entertaining partner to share it with. Austin is the biggest downer ever. 

Edited by Bethanne
  • Love 12

I looked a lot like Joy when my daughter was born.  Huge boobs, and a decent nursing bra that was big enough, was hard to come by in the early 80's.  I was almost 29, not 19 or 20 like she is, but she looks older, for sure.

Austrils is a definite downer.  He makes like he's an attentive dad for TV, and hopefully he's like that without the cameras on.  

I like Kendra and Joe.  No pretentiousness there.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Bethanne said:

I don’t know, I guess the prices are up if you’re buying crap, but I will say that 2/3 of my kids brand name clothes (Polo, Nautica, UA, Gymboree) come from Goodwill. I refuse to pay retail for that stuff. We have two Goodwills in an upper middle class town nearby and it blows my mind what people donate. I have never bought my girls a new Leo for gymnastics, for instance. They are $65 at the gym, and $3.50 at Goodwill.

FWIW, so far in the experience my friend and I have always been extremely pleased with secondhand books bought from Goodwill.  (Granted this is on Amazon, so it's different local outposts.)  He was just telling me today, how one Goodwill's self-described "good" condition for an older hardback, was delivered to him in a condition he'd define closer to "As New"; and I too have had the same experience more than once.  No worries about its showing up smelling musty/moldy, with cigarette burns, and the like!  They must have high overall standards.

On 9/13/2018 at 8:02 AM, bigskygirl said:

I do not know about Jinger and Jeremy really truly being in love. She enjoys the fact he pays attention to her because he is the first man outside of her family to give her the time of day. She does seem to cling to him, and he probably loves the fact she is dependent on him. Not saying he does not care for her, but I think he is more into himself than he is into her. I get the politician running for office with the pretty little obedient wife standing next to him and grazing up to him with adoring eyes pretending they are the perfect couple in order to get the votes vibe from him.

These aren't mutually exclusive, though. When Jinger and Jeremy first got together  a lot of posters, myself included, thought she looked pretty apprehensive thoughout the courtship. It was obvious that Jeremy liked the idea of the "pretty little obedient wife", though. However, by not having a honeymoon baby I think  they gave theselves time to really get to know each other and to fall in love. I think they're going to have a more satisfying life together than any of the other Duggar couples because of it.

• Love 17
20 hours ago, Nysha said:

These aren't mutually exclusive, though. When Jinger and Jeremy first got together  a lot of posters, myself included, thought she looked pretty apprehensive thoughout the courtship. It was obvious that Jeremy liked the idea of the "pretty little obedient wife", though. However, by not having a honeymoon baby I think  they gave theselves time to really get to know each other and to fall in love. I think they're going to have a more satisfying life together than any of the other Duggar couples because of it.

I think JinJer are on the same page.  I also think JoKen are, as well.

The others, not so much (in varying degrees,) but I'm pretty sure they'll stick it out, at least while they have a TV show, or taking a house or money from Boob.

• Love 2