Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: Thrift Store Date Night

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Just curious...what about clothes you try on yourself? Or do you buy everything online where presumably they would be pristine? Or is there some equivalent of the "5-second-rule", wherein it's safe to try on a piece of clothing in a store for a minute or two, but not for a day?

I'm not trying to pick on you, just trying to work out the mindset.

Personally, as rather a non-germaphobe,  so often it seems that new clothes can look great when you try them on in the store, and the first time you wear them, then never seem to lie quite that nicely again after the first wash - so I take advantage of that fresh-from-the-store fit whenever I get something new.

I used to not wash new clothes  till I was speaking  to a woman  who worked in a department  store, she was telling  me about  a lady who had such bad b.o. that they had to spray the dressing  room with lysol  and hang the dresses outside to air out. I buy most of my clothing  on line and the rest hold against  me first ,  then on and off fast.I know in my head there is no difference  between trying something  on and wearing  it but still...

• Love 6
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

The more Duggar daughters and daughters-in-law that get pregnant within weeks or a couple of months of their wedding (Anna, Jill, Jessa, Joy, Kendra, we know for sure, and probably Lauren), the more convinced I am that Jeremy and Jinger used some sort of preventative measure to prevent the same circumstance.

I tend to think that they abstained initially.  Jeremy had lived in the world, I think he would’ve wanted them to get to know each other before jumping to potentially become parents.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

The more Duggar daughters and daughters-in-law that get pregnant within weeks or a couple of months of their wedding (Anna, Jill, Jessa, Joy, Kendra, we know for sure, and probably Lauren), the more convinced I am that Jeremy and Jinger used some sort of preventative measure to prevent the same circumstance.

YUP. Most healthy 20 something’s having vaginal intercourse on a semi regular basis are going to conceive pretty quickly (within the year) if they don’t use contraceptives.

Of course yes we all know of people who had sex for years and never conceived/carried a pregnancy to term and then BAM, but that’s not a typical case. I agree they most likely used contraceptives. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 7
22 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

I tend to think that they abstained initially.  Jeremy had lived in the world, I think he would’ve wanted them to get to know each other before jumping to potentially become parents.  

Derek made a point of saying how weird it was that he and Jill went directly from not being allowed to be alone to sleeping in the same bed.  I guess that was his way of saying they were total strangers.  So, I can understand if Jeremy and Jinger decided to take it slow.  And besides, Jeremy was quite vocal that they should get to know each other (hence the six months Duggars moratorium) before bringing someone else into the mix.  

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Interesting that Kendra, Joy and Jill have all had honeymoon babies. Isn't there something like a two or three day window in your cycle where you can conceive? Almost makes me wonder if they plan their wedding dates to get pregnant as quickly as possible. 

As another poster said, they most likely tried to pick a date where their ‘monthly visitor’ wouldn’t visit. And would stay gone for a couple  more weeks.  However, that puts you right in the middle of your most fertile time( 14 days after your last period).   I don’t really think they plan on getting pregnant that night. Truthfully they are advised to abstain for a while rather than go from first kiss to sex within 12 hours. They appear not to listen. 

I also seem to remember reading that Jeremy’s Church ( and therefore Jeremy) are ok with the use of birth control. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, MamaMax said:

Not for nothing, but really, they have not waited and waited for sex, for crying out loud.  Seriously, at 17 or 18, or even 19, there are A LOT of people who have not had intercourse and they somehow manage not to be totally obsessed with sex.  I know PLENTY of people who have made it to their early 20s without a big to-do.  I mean, I can see if you're saving yourself for marriage and you're like 30, you'd be like ALRIGHT ALREADY, but 18? Big deal. 

PS Maybe if they were allowed a little making out and light petting they wouldn't be racing to the altar, but I think that's by design. 

They are taught/brainwashed that by saving themselves for marriage they have made a huge sacrifice for Jesus. Sex is such an uncontrollable force that they can't even have friendships with the opposite sex or be alone with their fiance. Plus, they're not allowed to masturbate, so they don't have any outlet for their normal urges. They share rooms with younger siblings and aren't allowed any privacy. While there are a lot of 17-25-year-old virgins in mainstream America, most of them are taking matters into their own hands until things change. A Duggar who gets married at 20 has waited for sex since puberty. It seems like a long wait for them.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Adeejay said:

They are polar opposites.  Ben appears to be nice, easy going and kind, while Jessa doesn't seem to be any of those things.  When he boasted that they'd won the baby food eating contest, Jessa snapped that it's nothing to brag about.  She couldn't even let him have that.  What I wouldn't give to see Austin and Jessa as a couple.  

See, now that's why I don't like Jessa, or people whose response this is.  What's the point of having had a contest at all, if nobody cares one iota who won?

• Love 3
11 hours ago, LexieLily said:

And JB agreed? I get the feeling the man is handing out pregnancy tests when they pick them up at the airport.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Jeremy probably convinced Jinger about not getting pregnant as soon as they say I do. He runs the show, and she just looks at him and clings to him and says okay babe.

I agree. Not getting pregnant for a year was all Jeremy, not Jinger. Even if Jinger genuinely wanted to hold off on having kids, she would never have initiated that conversation or taken measures to avoid pregnancy. If Jeremy had wanted a family right away, she would've had a honeymoon baby like everyone else.

• Love 21

I truly believe Austin and Joy were horny for each other and got married on the sole premise that the other one was hot.  They both never gave any consideration to what life would look like when they aren’t having sex and that’s why their personalities don’t mesh.  Joy also had a throwaway line earlier in the episode where she said that they are making sure to get alone time when Gideon is sleeping.  I’m not sure if they weren’t fundie they wouldn’t be tied together by at least a kid or two.  I don’t particularly see Joy sticking to a strict birth control routine.

• Love 9

So, Marketplace Grill, again?  Surely there are other places to eat in Springdale? 

It may very well  be that they are the only restaurant that allows filming.  In return for being featured on the show, they give the Duggars free meals and camera access.  And being Duggars, they go even when the cameras are not present.  They are so special and blessed that they deserve free meals!

I did some checking and it turns out they do not serve alcohol, so that may also be a contributing factor.  

• Love 6

Just to add to my post above- I do wonder how they can afford to eat out so often.  From what I can tell Marketplace Grill is a mid-range priced place.  Even for a couple  it would probably cost upwards of $50  for a meal with an appetizer and dessert.

My husband and I are empty nesters and we do eat out more often these days.  We only go to fancy places for special occasions , and we typically don't have wine or beer with our meals, but it is still pretty rare to have a bill less than $50 including tip for the two of us.  I know our area of the country has a higher cost of living than Arkansas, but still, it amazes me to see how often the Duggars  dine out.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Jeremy probably convinced Jinger about not getting pregnant as soon as they say I do. He runs the show, and she just looks at him and clings to him and says okay babe.

I actually think Jinger was okay with waiting. She may not have been vocal about it because the last time she went against the grain, she got chastised on television. She reminds me of Alyssa Bates who seems overwhelmed with having so many people around whenever she goes home. Although Alyssa Bates will end up with 19 at the rate she's going.

• Love 22
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Just to add to my post above- I do wonder how they can afford to eat out so often.  From what I can tell Marketplace Grill is a mid-range priced place.  Even for a couple  it would probably cost upwards of $50  for a meal with an appetizer and dessert.

My husband and I are empty nesters and we do eat out more often these days.  We only go to fancy places for special occasions , and we typically don't have wine or beer with our meals, but it is still pretty rare to have a bill less than $50 including tip for the two of us.  I know our area of the country has a higher cost of living than Arkansas, but still, it amazes me to see how often the Duggars  dine out.

TLC likely pays any meals being filmed. I also wouldn't be surprised if many of the restaurants they regularly go to let them eat free in exchange for social media mentions. I doubt they'd eat out so often otherwise.

• Love 1

anyone think $20/person seems like a lot for a "thrift store outfit" for a thrift store date? The date is already $40/couple even before dinner! Maybe I'm just cheap, but I could get a dress like those off Target clearance probably for $20 and it would be new. 

also... looked like the baby was watching something on someone's phone! Are tv/videos/internet not evil anymore? Maybe that aspect is changing for the next generation?

• Love 11
5 hours ago, saylubee said:

I truly believe Austin and Joy were horny for each other and got married on the sole premise that the other one was hot.  They both never gave any consideration to what life would look like when they aren’t having sex and that’s why their personalities don’t mesh.  Joy also had a throwaway line earlier in the episode where she said that they are making sure to get alone time when Gideon is sleeping.  I’m not sure if they weren’t fundie they wouldn’t be tied together by at least a kid or two.  I don’t particularly see Joy sticking to a strict birth control routine.

I actually feel that Joy wanted to et married so young for the SECOND most common reason: to escape an unhappy home life.  Austin made a comment once about being ready for the next stage of life, didn't he? So I think for him it was "OK Im ready to get married," and looked around, and WA-LA, there's Joy. Joy doesn't seem too Joyful... its possible she's had some Baby Blues which could also contribute to Austin's comment about it not being a big bed of roses, and also the comment about her needing his help. I know with my first I had a pretty moderate-to-severe PPD and I REALLY needed my husband around a lot. With the second I didn't, and I was fine with him going back to work MUCH sooner.

• Love 12

I kind of liked the thrift store date idea but the no washing would have killed it for me. With new clothes, besides the where have they been question, I also tend to think of the dyes and chemicals used and that adds to the must wash category. Was it a House episode that had a kid poisoned by knock off jeans he wore unwashed? I can’t even walk in Forever 21 at the local mall because the smell of the chemical dyes gives me an instant headache. Well that combined with the loud music and the crowded racks. I’m old and cranky.

I’ve always thought, in addition to getting to have the sex, one of the biggest draws for these kids to get married is to have some personal space and alone time. My younger kiddo commented that Joy probably liked the camper because it was all her space and it might have felt quite large in that respect. That and she truly seems remarkably chill about a lot. We are a pretty conservative family but when I was telling my kids about open bathroom doors in the Dug house they were horrified. Marriage might just seem like a luxurious retreat in the beginning. You have alone time, personal space, a bathroom to yourself and are no longer raising your siblings. 

I usually like Jessa even through she seems sarcastic. I get that part of her. She and Ben seem like an odd pair that is oddly working. They do seem like they’ve settled into themselves a little more. I know a hair stylist with a similar personality and her clients love her or leave. There is little middle ground. Her male clients seem to truly enjoy her snarkiness, and for her at least, it helps feed her ego in a way she sort of needs. I could see Jessa enjoying that type of work.

Final thought, then imma shut up! does every Duggar grandbaby have to be woken from sleep to eat? Joy and Jessa mentioned it. Have others? I can’t even fathom the idea. Woken up? Great googly moogly! What an amazing thing for new parents. Awesome!

• Love 20
10 hours ago, sATL said:

And JB agreed?

Once they were married it wasn't up to JB to agree or disagree.  Jeremy is his own man enough to not worry about JB's position on matters like that.  Jeremy's thinking is in line with the Grace Community Church group and they are just fine with a bit of alcohol, birth control, and pants wearing women.  :)  Jinger had on leggings and a long shirt a couple of days after the wedding when they left on their honeymoon and I fully expect they had arranged for birth control to begin immediately.  

• Love 6

Add me to the other comments about Austin's statement that he understands now why the divorce rate is so high.  Wow.  I think the bloom is off the rose, at least for him. He has always come across to me as generally annoyed by Joy.

I've always heard that doing a home remodel puts a lot of stress and strain on a marriage.  And their plan is to continually be buying/remodeling/flipping/moving to the trailer, rinse and repeat?  With young children? Yikes. 

• Love 20
5 hours ago, toomuchtv said:

anyone think $20/person seems like a lot for a "thrift store outfit" for a thrift store date? The date is already $40/couple even before dinner! Maybe I'm just cheap, but I could get a dress like those off Target clearance probably for $20 and it would be new. 

Ya know, I certainly have no proof, but I think since hipsters caught on to shopping at thrift stores, the prices have gone up. My former favorite thrift store now runs commercials. My mom struggled when I was growing up, so Goodwill, Salvation Army, AmVets and hand me downs all comprised a good portion of my childhood wardrobe. I hate the fact that I used to be ashamed to go shopping there with my mom. As an adult, I’m such a faithful Goodwill shopper, I have their discount card. But more and more, I’m noticing dresses that used to be less than 10 bucks are now 14. Even with my little discount. But the place is also crawling with hipsters now.

• Love 12

It just dawned on me that Joy & Austin have NO romantic chemistry.  He treats her more like a buddy than a wife.  Joy used to be a tomboy. I bet Austin saw her as just one of the guys for a long time. Then she filled out and he saw an opportunity to get on the TLC gravy train. I believe he likes Joy, but that's it. 

As someone posted above, Joy saw an opportunity to leave home.  She saw what her future would be if she remained single - Jana.

What a crying shame to raise young women to be totally dependent on a man and babies to fulfill your life. So if you don't get a husband, all you have to look forward to is living at home  & raising siblings. Yeah, I think I'd make a break for it too.

The males are raised to learn to make a living whether they marry or not. At least they have a choice. The girls do not. That midwife BS is just that - not worth the paper the certificate is printed on.  I haven't seen Jill or Jessa contribute one dime to the family kitty by delivering babies.

• Love 16

Now with fast fashion most of the thrift shops have similar (and sometimes higher) prices than what you'd find at H&M and their ilk. Bonus if you went to one of the outlet malls. They're not fooling anyone, although it's quite possible Jessa gets her brand new Old Navy dresses on sale/using coupons.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

It just dawned on me that Joy & Austin have NO romantic chemistry.  He treats her more like a buddy than a wife.  Joy used to be a tomboy. I bet Austin saw her as just one of the guys for a long time. Then she filled out and he saw an opportunity to get on the TLC gravy train. I believe he likes Joy, but that's it. 

As someone posted above, Joy saw an opportunity to leave home.  She saw what her future would be if she remained single - Jana.

What a crying shame to raise young women to be totally dependent on a man and babies to fulfill your life. So if you don't get a husband, all you have to look forward to is living at home  & raising siblings. Yeah, I think I'd make a break for it too.

The males are raised to learn to make a living whether they marry or not. At least they have a choice. The girls do not. That midwife BS is just that - not worth the paper the certificate is printed on.  I haven't seen Jill or Jessa contribute one dime to the family kitty by delivering babies.

I am the last person to judge if someone has romantic chemistry or not, as I typically don’t “see” stuff like that- but I agree with the rest of your post whole heartedly. I think Joy/Austin we’re attracted to each other than that leads to marriage in this world. 

In mainstream society it isn’t “odd” to not have sexual experience with a partner at 18/19 years old, but mainstream teens & young adults know they have the option to have sex when they want (not until the preacher says I Do), they have the option to have friends of their choosing- socializing with a peer group AND they can masturbate when they want/feel the urge to deal with sexual frustration. I do think the physical need for sexual release becomes a real thing in late adolescence (for both women and men), the frequency depends on the person. Think of the poor J Boy caught masturbating and JB tied his hands together- which I firmly believed happened although it wasn’t verified.

Living in a house like that I can see why the kids would be eager to marry. Given the biological realities of heterosexual sex for women, the girls are very much trapped. You NEED money to live in this world, the boys are better equipped to leave the fold than the girls. 

• Love 12
On 9/11/2018 at 2:07 AM, 3 is enough said:

100-200 people at the sip and see?  That's insane!

Not as surprising when you consider the women do nothing but wait to be married and pregnant. Babies are the ultimate prize.

Lauren acts weirdly matronly for 19. But the dress Josiah picked for her was actually nice?

Jeremiah is surprisingly handsome and somehow avoided the puffy marshmallow Jim Bob face and rapid wildfire receding hairline the rest of the older boys have. 

• Love 5

I don’t know thrift store prices very well, and I don’t know men’s clothing prices very well, but for myself, I could easily get a whole outfit for $20 at Ross or Burlington or even Target or Old Navy.

That being said, I thought the denim dress on Jessa was cute. Lauren’s dress screamed oldish lady with an office job.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, charmed1 said:

Ya know, I certainly have no proof, but I think since hipsters caught on to shopping at thrift stores, the prices have gone up. My former favorite thrift store now runs commercials. My mom struggled when I was growing up, so Goodwill, Salvation Army, AmVets and hand me downs all comprised a good portion of my childhood wardrobe. I hate the fact that I used to be ashamed to go shopping there with my mom. As an adult, I’m such a faithful Goodwill shopper, I have their discount card. But more and more, I’m noticing dresses that used to be less than 10 bucks are now 14. Even with my little discount. But the place is also crawling with hipsters now.

The prices at Goodwill have gone up a LOT. I can go buy new clothes at some stores or on clearance at comparable prices anymore, even with the 10% off with the handy Goodwill card. I used to drive an hour plus to hit the locations in wealthy suburbs of Indianapolis for almost all of my daughter's clothes, but it's just not worth it anymore. I still get some good deals there on occasion, but not like I used to. 

I wasn't surprised at all at the $20 budget. 

Edited by Squirrely
typo
  • Love 4
On 9/11/2018 at 3:40 AM, WalrusGirl said:

When the producers did the interspersed talking heads with Jinger and Jeremy, Jinger’s immediate question was whether they were washing the clothes before wearing them. (Nope.)

Seriously. He’s only 10-11 months in, or a little over a year if their talking heads were filmed a few months after the “plot” footage? Not that the fourth trimester is a period of maximal marital satisfaction for many/most, but it feels awfully soon to be comfortable VOICING that insight to the public, even if having the thought is hardly shocking given their situations. On the flip side, he was sweet talking about Gideon, and it’s nice to see him clearly engaged with his infant.

Between the dye and other manufacturing chemicals, and their having been tried on by others (or purchased and returned), yeah, all clothes get washed before wearing. I’m not militant - if it’s last minute shopping for something I need to change into immediately, it’s not like it’s underwear, but in general anything new-to-me goes straight to the wash.

I'm so surprised to hear of so many people doing this. I've never even heard of washing new clothes. 

• Love 12
7 hours ago, floridamom said:

Obviously most of the Duggars have awful table manners....Let's see now; Jessa licks her plate; Joe licks his plate; Josie licks plates, fingers, countertops and Lord knows what else.

I wonder if Jim Bob and Michelle are " lickers"?

And at Lauren's Georgia house, Josiah licked the ranch dressing wrapper.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, GussieK said:

I'm so surprised to hear of so many people doing this. I've never even heard of washing new clothes. 

I was raised with a mother who plucked the new clothes out of your hands near-immediately at Christmas and birthdays ("take the tags off and put them in the wash!"), thus why.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, ramble said:

Was it a House episode that had a kid poisoned by knock off jeans he wore unwashed?

Yup. That’s what started it for me when that ep aired while I was in high school. (Got me thinking about new clothes not exactly being clean, rather than worrying about that specific issue.) It was pesticides or something absorbing through his skin?

On 9/11/2018 at 11:07 AM, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I gotta be honest...this comment is really making me want to watch this episode

As I recall, Joy was sitting right next to him when he said it (it was in their talking head), though I didn’t see any startled or hurt reaction from her, and while he elaborated it wasn’t a backtrack. Made me think they’ve acknowledged “this newlywed with an infant and selling our house thing is hard” with one another, and that he wasn’t telling the producer and TV audience anything that he thought might surprise or be news to Joy. Like, it was so casual it wasn’t said hurtfully or snarky, it just really stood out because they’re still newlyweds.

Edited by WalrusGirl
  • Love 13
11 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am the last person to judge if someone has romantic chemistry or not, as I typically don’t “see” stuff like that- but I agree with the rest of your post whole heartedly. I think Joy/Austin we’re attracted to each other than that leads to marriage in this world. 

In mainstream society it isn’t “odd” to not have sexual experience with a partner at 18/19 years old, but mainstream teens & young adults know they have the option to have sex when they want (not until the preacher says I Do), they have the option to have friends of their choosing- socializing with a peer group AND they can masturbate when they want/feel the urge to deal with sexual frustration. I do think the physical need for sexual release becomes a real thing in late adolescence (for both women and men), the frequency depends on the person. Think of the poor J Boy caught masturbating and JB tied his hands together- which I firmly believed happened although it wasn’t verified.

Living in a house like that I can see why the kids would be eager to marry. Given the biological realities of heterosexual sex for women, the girls are very much trapped. You NEED money to live in this world, the boys are better equipped to leave the fold than the girls. 

IMHO, "chemistry" is mostly in body language.  It's obvious (at least to me) that Jinger and Jeremy really love each other.  I see it in the way they look at each other and touch each other.  When Jeremy teared up at the SWAN's ceremony at the young woman's testimony about losing her dad, Jinger reached over and tenderly took his hand - that's chemistry.  I don't see that in Joy and Austin.  They sat on the couch eating breakfast (?) and hardly looked at each other.  Before the baby was born, he had her out there sawing wood, and doing all kinds of manual labor when she should have been inside with her feet up.  That tells me that he doesn't see her as a wife to be loved and cherished, but as a buddy to help him with his job.  He took her out on a half frozen pond when she was 8 months pregnant.  Even I could see her fear while she was in that canoe.  He didn't give it a second thought.  He probably thought she should just "man up".  They may have romantic chemistry away from prying eyes, but I (just speaking for me here) just don't see it in the telecasts.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Evagirl said:

IMHO, "chemistry" is mostly in body language.  It's obvious (at least to me) that Jinger and Jeremy really love each other.  I see it in the way they look at each other and touch each other.  When Jeremy teared up at the SWAN's ceremony at the young woman's testimony about losing her dad, Jinger reached over and tenderly took his hand - that's chemistry.  I don't see that in Joy and Austin.  They sat on the couch eating breakfast (?) and hardly looked at each other.  Before the baby was born, he had her out there sawing wood, and doing all kinds of manual labor when she should have been inside with her feet up.  That tells me that he doesn't see her as a wife to be loved and cherished, but as a buddy to help him with his job.  He took her out on a half frozen pond when she was 8 months pregnant.  Even I could see her fear while she was in that canoe.  He didn't give it a second thought.  He probably thought she should just "man up".  They may have romantic chemistry away from prying eyes, but I (just speaking for me here) just don't see it in the telecasts.

I do not know about Jinger and Jeremy really truly being in love. She enjoys the fact he pays attention to her because he is the first man outside of her family to give her the time of day. She does seem to cling to him, and he probably loves the fact she is dependent on him. Not saying he does not care for her, but I think he is more into himself than he is into her. I get the politician running for office with the pretty little obedient wife standing next to him and grazing up to him with adoring eyes pretending they are the perfect couple in order to get the votes vibe from him.

Edited by bigskygirl
On 9/10/2018 at 4:55 PM, xwordfanatik said:

The 'whatever' will hopefully include anything alcoholic, for any of them that aren't preggo  Oh, never mind, they're always 'with child' or trying to get that way.

Sounds dreary.

I think Michelle is in the clear to drink up! 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, floridamom said:

Obviously most of the Duggars have awful table manners....Let's see now; Jessa licks her plate; Joe licks his plate; Josie licks plates, fingers, countertops and Lord knows what else.

I wonder if Jim Bob and Michelle are " lickers"?

There are some questions that really no one really wants answered.  HA!

17 hours ago, charmed1 said:

You may be onto something.  The one near the university here is very high as in new clothes range high.  I am not paying that much for gently used clothes.  The one downtown is where you get the deals (and some designer duds).  They even have 50% off days if you can imagine.  I always try and steer my students to that one.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, GussieK said:

I always, always wash underwear, sleepwear and bathing suits before wearing.  If I order a bunch of t-shirts and leggings from Land's End, I'll wash them too.  Always jeans, because it says on the label to wash before wearing because of color transfer.  But if I shop for an outfit for a specific occasion, like a nice dress, I won't wash it. But believe me, if I shopped at thrift stores, I would DEFINITELY wash before wearing.

Same with sheets and towels, always wash before using.

• Love 5

Well, I'm in my dotage and haven't washed new clothes ever.  I think of myself and our home as clean - we don't have suspicious skin rashes, etc.   or respiratory issues.  Shall I expect them one day?  My quilting community and I have the same discussion.  Wash before using or wash after quilt is complete.  Some people have issues with unwashed as it gives them rashes, dries out their skin, causes burning eyes, etc. so they always prewash.  The others of us never prewash and don't have any of those issues.  

• Love 14

I’m in the middle. The only things I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wash when I buy them are underwear. Those are of course new. However, if I buy from a consignment shop/thrift store all purchases ALWAYS gets washed first. 

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 3
On 9/11/2018 at 12:25 AM, Marigold said:

I haven't seen the episode yet.

I buy about 90% of our clothes in a nice thrift store.  You MUST wash.  I am a germ-a-phobe and have an entire protocol for washing the clothes.  

I also add borax to my thrift store clothes. 

On 9/11/2018 at 10:17 AM, BitterApple said:

I think Joy's a good kid, but she's clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed. I can see where Austin would find marriage to her very frustrating. They remind me of Brandon and Michael, where one half of the equation is emotionally needy and the other half rigid and not inclined to showing a lot of affection.

Austin also strikes me as one of those guys who can be a great dad, but an awful husband. Either way, I don't see them being happy in the long run.

Joy was Jill's buddy? 

• Love 1

The thrift stores that I have shopped at must wash most of their clothes, because, when you enter the place it smells heavily of fabric softener or fabric sheets, as do the clothes.  It's so strong on the clothes that I have to normally wash them twice to get the smell out, since, I have allergies to most fragrances. And, they keep raising their prices.  I've stopped going so much.  It's a lot of work to sort through stuff, since, it's only divided by type and color, not size, and takes a long time for the hope that you will find a nice designer label in your size.  It has happened and I've found brand new items with original tags before, but, it took hours. I mainly stick with looking for sweaters and tops.   

• Love 1