Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: Thrift Store Date Night

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

48 minutes ago, zoomama said:

i think like an open house where the girlfriends/family can come over and see the new baby while they are 'sipping' tea or whatever...

The 'whatever' will hopefully include anything alcoholic, for any of them that aren't preggo  Oh, never mind, they're always 'with child' or trying to get that way.

Sounds dreary.

• Love 7

I wonder if Joy’s comment about “never having seen a man give so much to his wife” a jab at her dad, brothers and brothers in-law.  However, I am going to politely disagree.  In my humble opinion, in the Duggar husbands race, Jeremy and Ben are miles ahead of Austin.

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 21
15 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

I love when she said she wonders how her mother did it. Because her mother never did it the only people that did it were the sister moms.

Lol, right? Her mother had four live-in nannies; five if you count Grandma Duggar. Not to mention all the unmarried Fundie daughters who rotated in and out over the years as "tutors" (Query girls, Priscilla Keller, Tabitha Paine, Jenny Hartono, Laura, etc.). 

• Love 22
4 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

The 'whatever' will hopefully include anything alcoholic, for any of them that aren't preggo  Oh, never mind, they're always 'with child' or trying to get that way.

Sounds dreary.

I think you mean "Never mind, alcohol is of the devil."

• Love 4
4 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Sounds dreary.

Speaking from experience, it can be nice. We had one after our son was born. He was born prematurely, before the baby showers my family and friends had planned. My sisters did that for our family members that were unable to come to the NICU. It was like a baby shower after the baby arrived.

• Love 3

You could tell those clothes were never cleaned or pressed before they wore them.  It gave me the creeps. 

Fundie fun nights are just not that fun. 

Joy and Dumbstyn changing dirty diapers on that kitchen countertop.  I really hope they cleaned that after the fact.  I'm hopeful that Joy didn't use that tube of caulk on the baby.  

Take off the damn cap Dumbstyn.  You are going to have no hair in a few years. 

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 10

Austin just can't loosen up, can he?  Austin makes me sad.  There's got to be a happy medium between all out goofy Josiah and tighter than saran wrap Austin.

Best line, paraphrased, "My husband's going to freak out now!"  I'm surprised Ben didn't freak over not washing the clothes.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I haven't seen the episode yet.

I buy about 90% of our clothes in a nice thrift store.  You MUST wash.  I am a germ-a-phobe and have an entire protocol for washing the clothes.  

hell, I saw a doctor on some morning show not too long ago who said he washes NEW clothes - twice - before he wears them anywhere.  "You don't know what's in those factories!" Etc.

• Love 16

I actually liked Austin when he referred to the baby shower game as obnoxious. That would've been my first thought as well.

I'm not surprised Bin and Jessa had a rough first year of marriage. They're polar opposites in every way imaginable and have nothing in common aside from shared religious beliefs. 

• Love 24

Some thoughts for the episode:

• I liked the thrift store date night idea, but I'm over the Duggars pretending like they still "buy used and save the difference".
  • Ben and Lauren did the best with coming up with outfits for their significant others. Kendra looked drab as usual.
  • Austin's view on marriage was telling to say the least. Honeymoon phase is over it would seem.
  • When Benessa talked about arguments, I couldn't help but to feel like all the arguing was due to Jessa marrying a mindless teenager and them having two kids back to back.
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, queenanne said:

hell, I saw a doctor on some morning show not too long ago who said he washes NEW clothes - twice - before he wears them anywhere.  "You don't know what's in those factories!" Etc.

You should never wear new clothes unwashed. They are choc full of toxic stuff that they get sprayed with.

It’s interesting-most fundy couples, be they dugs or bateseseses have hinted or plain stated that marriage is no picnic. Micheala bates made such a statement recently.

i do wonder how they get such rose tinted glasses when theyve all grown up with disinterestes abusive parents who could not have given them a good idea about a healthy marriage

• Love 11
10 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I want to know if they wash the clothes before they wear them. That’s about it.

When the producers did the interspersed talking heads with Jinger and Jeremy, Jinger’s immediate question was whether they were washing the clothes before wearing them. (Nope.)

5 hours ago, louannems said:

I was shocked to hear Austin say he knows why the divorce rate is so high!

Seriously. He’s only 10-11 months in, or a little over a year if their talking heads were filmed a few months after the “plot” footage? Not that the fourth trimester is a period of maximal marital satisfaction for many/most, but it feels awfully soon to be comfortable VOICING that insight to the public, even if having the thought is hardly shocking given their situations. On the flip side, he was sweet talking about Gideon, and it’s nice to see him clearly engaged with his infant.

2 hours ago, queenanne said:

Between the dye and other manufacturing chemicals, and their having been tried on by others (or purchased and returned), yeah, all clothes get washed before wearing. I’m not militant - if it’s last minute shopping for something I need to change into immediately, it’s not like it’s underwear, but in general anything new-to-me goes straight to the wash.

• Love 13

So thrift store date night was weird but if I mentally moved it to "shop for your significant other" night and removed thrift it was kinda cute.  I have to admit except for Kendra who looked about the same as any other day I liked the clothes especially the guys; the cardigan look works on Ben.  But the snarky part of me believes some parts of those outfits didn't come from the thrift store at all and/or the producers had a hand in choosing them or at lest "nudged" the couples towards certain clothes.

I can't get a read on Austin and Joy, they seem happy and tired like many couples with a newborn; at other times they seem more fed up and tired in a "is this my life now?" sort of way.  They're young, they barely knew each other before they got married, they lived in that trailer before moving into the tiny flip house and now Gideon - I can believe they think they're happy or at least Joy does but I can't believe all is peachy wonderful.  With so many changes and challenges coming at them so fast deep down they both have to be feeling stressed and tired and a bit overwhelmed.

Funniest part of the episode (that I saw) was the rare glimpse of the camera crew behind Jinger when Jer was riding that bull - one or two looked as nervous as she did but a couple others were cracking up.  Also somebody please tell me what in the world was that thing they had Gideon in?  It looked like a mechanical baby rocker (nice tie in to the bull Jer rode!) not teasing them for it, I've honestly never seen or heard of it and I'm curious.

Have to watch the baby shower part later - to be honest, I fell asleep sometime near the end of the couples dinner and when I woke up the little ranchers show was starting.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

I love when she said she wonders how her mother did it. Because her mother never did it the only people that did it were the sister moms.

That is exactly what I said, verbatim, to my daughter when we heard Joy say that! How about Austin with his “I can see why the divorce rate is so high” musings after less than a year of marriage? Poor Joy.

Edited by Liamsmom617
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, MunichNark said:

i do wonder how they get such rose tinted glasses when theyve all grown up with disinterestes abusive parents who could not have given them a good idea about a healthy marriage

They've been brainwashed to believe that if they followed the rules God would give them the perfect mate, the perfect life, and the perfect happily ever after. Plus, like a lot of young adults, they thought that as soon as they were out from under their parents' rules and thumb life would be Skittles and rootbeer all the time. And finally, SEX! They waited for it like they were taught and it was supposed to be this glorious thing that made everything better.

9 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

When you go from never having an unmonitored conversation with someone to living with them 24/7, you have no idea how to express your opinion, or how to disagree about anything.  There is a reason why the rest of us encourage dating, and lots of social interaction with others for our offspring.

Amen! These kids go into their courtship with the emotional maturity and social skills of a 13-year-old. No wonder they find marriage so hard. I remember my kids in 7th grade when having a boyfriend/girlfriend meant admitting you liked someone and holding their hand on the bus. The girls were always devasted by the first fight and the boys were mystified at what they did to piss them off. The Duggar kids are married when this happens and don't have to option to break up, figure out what went wrong, and try again. 

• Love 24
2 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

It's a MamaRoo. A high-end swing for infants. 

Holy crap that thing is expensive!  And it doesn't seem like the kid can use it long, I read up to 25 lbs.  Even used they don't seem to come cheap (lowest I saw was $125 & imperfect since the ad said a sensor was broken).  I think I'd rather use a swing - more movement & still works when the power goes out.

Maybe it was a hand-me-down from somewhere but............kinda funny showing the kid in what's basically a $200+ programmable swing while the other couples shop at the thrift store and Jinger repeats the party line on how "buy used save the difference" is the only way to go.

• Love 6

I think Joy's a good kid, but she's clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed. I can see where Austin would find marriage to her very frustrating. They remind me of Brandon and Michael, where one half of the equation is emotionally needy and the other half rigid and not inclined to showing a lot of affection.

Austin also strikes me as one of those guys who can be a great dad, but an awful husband. Either way, I don't see them being happy in the long run.

• Love 16
32 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Holy crap that thing is expensive!  And it doesn't seem like the kid can use it long, I read up to 25 lbs.  Even used they don't seem to come cheap (lowest I saw was $125 & imperfect since the ad said a sensor was broken).  I think I'd rather use a swing - more movement & still works when the power goes out.

Maybe it was a hand-me-down from somewhere but............kinda funny showing the kid in what's basically a $200+ programmable swing while the other couples shop at the thrift store and Jinger repeats the party line on how "buy used save the difference" is the only way to go.

We got a MamaRoo - my husband put it on the registry and my gym friends chipped in and got it for me.  My son didn't particularly care for it.  We only used it a few times.  The only thing my son enjoyed was his bouncer.

We're hoping if we have another child, they will like the MamaRoo.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think Joy's a good kid, but she's clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed. I can see where Austin would find marriage to her very frustrating. They remind me of Brandon and Michael, where one half of the equation is emotionally needy and the other half rigid and not inclined to showing a lot of affection.

Austin also strikes me as one of those guys who can be a great dad, but an awful husband. Either way, I don't see them being happy in the long run.

Sounds a lot like Deredick and Jilly Girl, but in their case, Deredick is a bad father. In the case of Jinger and Jeremy, I think Jinger can be emotionally needy at times, but Jeremy can show affection. I also think Jeremy likes being in control, and Jinger goes along with the flow.