Type keyword(s) to search

You: The Book and the Sequels and Other Spoilers

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

And there'll be a fourth book. Hopefully Kepnes has a solid arc in mind, because otherwise it seems like Joe being caught once and for all could be done in the third. (I'm guessing the plan is for him to get caught because otherwise this story could just be left at two books.)

4 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

And there'll be a fourth book. Hopefully Kepnes has a solid arc in mind, because otherwise it seems like Joe being caught once and for all could be done in the third. (I'm guessing the plan is for him to get caught because otherwise this story could just be left at two books.)

But he was caught in the second book.  IIRC, he was in jail at the end of the second. 

So he must somehow weasel out of that charge. 

19 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Joe was pretty certain that Love's rich family would be able to help him out of that jam, though. Which they probably can, between Love stealing incriminating things and the high-powered attorneys.

According to the excerpt in Entertainment Weekly

Love's family helped him out of the mess in exchange for him getting out of Love's life and signing away all parental rights of their son. But I wonder if Love will be back at some point since she was still pretty much invested in Joe, knowing all his murderous crimes even if the book version wasn't a full blown serial killer like she is in the series (as far as we know).

Edited by Spartan Girl
On April 9, 2021 at 8:05 PM, Atlanta said:

Just finished the new You book. Awesome. Read it in two days.

Reveal spoiler

He doesn't kill anyone though people do die. Love is still crazy.

I thought it was interesting that

Joe didn't kill anybody this time around, but I hate how it fit his "I'm always the victim" narrative. Ugh. That poor little baby Forty is screwed no matter where he ends up. And I knew Mary Kay's daughter was crazy the second it was known she was obsessed with Columbine.

It will be interesting to see how this will play into season three. Personally I hope they don't have Show Love attempt murder suicide, she needs to stick around and keep forcing Joe into confronting who he really is.

The next book is the last. Hopefully Joe finally will get what he deserves.

Edited by Spartan Girl

So do my fellow book readers want to discuss this season and where we think it'll go next year?  

This was probably the biggest diversion from the books than any other season.  At first I thought it'd be a "gap" year where they fill up this season and pick up the books again but then Marianne became more prominent as the season went on.  

One of the things I liked about the latest book was that Marianne's daughter kind of turned things around on him and he was the "you." 

Do we think we're leaving the books for good since it's unlikely we'll have the final book out in time for the next season to be written? 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

One of the things I liked about the latest book was that Marianne's daughter kind of turned things around on him and he was the "you.

Yeah, but Love kind of accomplished that purpose in the show, so repeating again would be a little redundant. And unless the show is going to speed-age the daughter next season, I’m guessing that won’t happen.

I’m kind of hoping Marianne evades Joe’s clutches in the show instead of winding up brain dead like Mary Kay in the books. It would be nice to have one would-be victim see Joe for what he is and stay alive. 

10 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yeah, but Love kind of accomplished that purpose in the show, so repeating again would be a little redundant. And unless the show is going to speed-age the daughter next season, I’m guessing that won’t happen.

Kind of but I do think she presented a different dynamic because of her age. 

• Love 1

I listen to the books with Santino Fontana as the narrator so I've enjoyed the books quite a bit. I don't think I'd like them as much if I had to actually read them.  I'd tire of them. 

But I preferred the book series back when it looked like the second book might be the last book.  Everything sort of came together to end Joe's stalking.  But then the series became a hit and the author appears to have chosen to capitalize on that.  I did like Series 3 more than Book 3.  

I'll be curious to see how much the author worked with the series creators to come up with a story.  Clearly they did given their location of it being at a prestigious university. 

• Like 2

I’m a book reviewer and was able to read the last book awhile ago and I’m so disappointed that this season on Netflix is completely different. Why did the producers think viewers wanted a season in England with a bunch of rich people. I really liked the book storyline about the writers and the books they were working on but none of that is on the show.

• Useful 2

So I’ve read the excerpts from the new book, For You and You Alone:

Spoiler

Apparently one of Joe’s Florida victims was a patron that didn’t believe in COVID prevention and subsequently gave her husband COVID. Joe got so sick of her rants that he put her into the cage and…well, you can guess the rest.

I guess that’s the book version of what happened with Gil. Can’t say I feel too bad about it.

So I finished For You and Only You and the one similarity between this and season 4 is that Joe does get blackmailed by someone that wants a murder buddy, but this time, it’s not a figment of his imagination, it’s by Sarah Beth, a woman that’s obsessed with crime podcasts.

Spoiler

The ending implies that she’s about to become his next victim, but Wonder aka New Girl lives—for now. It’s left open-ended whether Joe is going to try to get her back or if he’ll find someone else.

At least we know the show is about to end. But I have no idea if we’ll get a new book or not.

• Like 1

I have no idea if this is in the right thread or not, so somebody please lmk if I need to move this. Looks like some old 'friends' of Joe will be coming back next season:

https://www.tvinsider.com/1096583/you-season-5-teaser-penn-badgley-returning-characters/?utm_source=TV+Insider%3A+Main&utm_campaign=be0c14f5af-THE_DAILY&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3576f8ead4-be0c14f5af-15108702

I actually just started watching this show a few months ago and I'm a few episodes away from finishing Season 4, so there were a few spoilers in the article for me. I was glad to see Marienne made it out alive (I had earlier read a spoiler that she died, and I was so sad for her kid). I'm hoping some of all of his previous victims team up to finally nail him. It's about time that happened (major understatement).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1