Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 9/10/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

How Serena was treated as opposed to how male tennis players are treated is indicative how a lot of women are treated in most professions.  As been mentioned already men are called passionate, hard nosed competitor, determined, forceful.  Women are called hysterical, bitchy, difficult, demanding.  

It happens to the women on the View.  The media is quick to recount every raised voice at the table but the same media doesn't treat male talk show hosts the same way.  Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson both raise their voices and get combative with guests they have disagreements with.

• Love 22

So Omarosa was disrespectful to Joy last time on orders from Trump. She happily obliged. She also threw Pence's chief of staff under the bus as the NY Times leaker. Also the tape she brought and all hail Omarosa. What a fine human being who happens to be selling a book. If she hadn't been fired she would still be drinking the koolaid. I wonder if Joy really believes her. I don't doubt her necessarily but she isn't completely innocent.

• Love 12

Oma is not innocent, but at least she admitted drinking the koolade. That was a step. Anyway, I dont really like her and I dont care except that she is outing tRump so good and fine with me. She is selling a tell all book. SO are many others and they are all making the WH resident poop a brick , so good as far as I am concerned. 

• Love 15

Of greater consequence than Omagrossa (h/t Orillia) disclosing who she thinks is the anonymous op ed writer (Pence's COS), is that staffers and agents used the hashtag TFA when referring to Trump being particularly unhinged. #TFA should be trending.  Everybody wants to know who wrote it when the concern should be what's in it. Seems like at least a dozen or so WH people could've written it. 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 6

I don’t think Serena was being a sore loser. I think she was having an emotional reaction to being accused of something that she felt she wasn’t doing and then to be further punished for behaviour that most men do far more often and aggressively yet without any consequence. In an ideal world, no one should act like that but that would mean that in an ideal world, we would be robots and not human beings with real emotions. She reacted in response to something but she contained her anger in a way that wasn’t destructive or harmful to anyone. In the end, she gave her opponent her moment and that sportsmanship was enough evidence to me that Serena was frustrated with the situation with the umpire and only the umpire.

Totally agree with Sunny…one should be enough for action to be taken. It shouldn’t be that the more status you have requires more victims to come forward before someone even listens and starts investigating.

Omarosa is a manipulative and self-serving person and has been her entire public career. I’ll accept the truth from anyone, even an enemy but that doesn’t mean that their character is magically repaired in my mind. Omarosa has a long way to go for me to think differently of her. I appreciated Sunny making Omarosa provide some kind of explanation for how she went from denouncing him as a racist to claiming he’s a racist. But there’s something that I find believable in her explanation and that is, when you are minority that has found your way into the social circle of someone who is being accused of being a racist, it’s probably instinctual to think that the allegation is ridiculous because you see your relationship as being evidence of the contrary. But here’s what a lot of people overlook – just because you can be friendly to minorities, sometimes hire them or work with them without issue, doesn’t mean that you can’t also think that you are superior to those people, it doesn’t mean that between a white person a minority person, your instinct isn’t to give the white person the benefit of the doubt and it certainly doesn’t meant that you can’t consciously or subconsciously support and defend systems in place which make it harder for minorities to thrive. That still makes you racist even if you have black friends, work with Jewish owned businesses, have a Muslim accountant or an Indian doctor. Usually those people who are fooled into thinking that they are evidence of anti-racism are those that don’t really learn until they’ve personally been burned. And I will give Omarosa credit for owning her role and saying she was complicit rather than claiming to be a victim.

• Love 14

I never believed Omarosa was a dedicated republican.  She was looking for a prominent position anywhere, doing anything that would make her money and relevant.  Now that ship Trump is sinking she has jumped off and looking for another one.  Good luck with that.  No one in politics wants you anywhere near them! 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 22
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I think Naomi understands that Serena was not angry at her, but at an umpire who abused his power. Like Joy, I don't pay attention to sports at all, but from the clips they showed, it seemed she only got angry after the umpire accused her of doing something she hadn't and then punished her unfairly. I'm glad Sunny defended her. She has nothing to be ashamed of.

I agree, well put.  This was like a perfect storm of bullshit that unfort hit all at once.  I think Serena's biggest fury was being branded a cheater.  Her core charactor was being maligned.  I would have been livid too.  Ditto on the no offense to Naomi, she kicked ass, played hard and won.  Show it with pride girl!

• Love 16
2 hours ago, After7Only said:

John McEnenroe has made a career of it.   Nick Kyrgios is considered the bad boy of tennis and it's meant in a positive way.    

So women have to aspire to jerkdom?  I'm sick of hearing about spoiled brat tennis players (and other a$$hole pro athletes).  

• Love 9
4 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

How Serena was treated as opposed to how male tennis players are treated is indicative how a lot of women are treated in most professions.  As been mentioned already men are called passionate, hard nosed competitor, determined, forceful.  Women are called hysterical, bitchy, difficult, demanding.  

This is so true. Strange that so much focus is put on discussing the rightness or wrongness of Serena's behavior rather than the umpire's behavior, considering the story didn't make it on The View (and other media outlets) because it was unusual for an athlete to get angry--that happens all the time--but because the umpire essentially made themselves a player in the match.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

It happens to the women on the View.  The media is quick to recount every raised voice at the table but the same media doesn't treat male talk show hosts the same way.  Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson both raise their voices and get combative with guests they have disagreements with.

I don’t think many people respect Hannity and Carlson except for Trump’s base. I don’t think those are good examples because I’ve even heard the ladies of The View making fun of them when they act like idiots. People should be judged by their actions. People also need to take responsibility for their actions and not treat every slight as an act of racism or sexism. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, After7Only said:

People rarely discuss men "being nice" when discussing competitive sport.  This is what Serena is referencing regarding sexism in sport.  Women are expected to be nice and pleasant at all times.  While men get called passionate and are respected when they argue with the umpire or smash a racket.  It's considered a joke not a character flaw.  John McEnenroe has made a career of it.   Nick Kyrgios is considered the bad boy of tennis and it's meant in a positive way.     She recognized arguing with the umpire was not appropriate.    Her point was male players would not have been docked the game.  There is plenty of evidence of this.  James Blake and Andy Roddick have both said they've done worse without penalty or got a warning rather than penalty.    I have seen nothing but support for Serena from other tennis pros including the pros that were commentating during the match.  That speaks volumes.  

The criticism is about rules that are unequally applied that negatively affected the match.   It's not about Serena's behavior.     I can see why Whoopi and Sunny defended her.  Both are fans of the game, and know that what happened was highly unusual.  

Roger Federer is one of the “nicest “ athletes around and he is well known for his niceness. Why is it bad to have an expection of niceness? Everyone should be nice.

• Love 3

As much as sourpuss Megan often ruins the show for me, I would have liked to see her interact with Omarosa (another "delightful" person).  Something tells me O would not have been so nice today.  

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, OpalNightstream said:

I can’t  believe oma was actually contrite about something! Whether or not it’s another put on is questionable but I never thought I’d hear her admit fault or apologize! 

It is just image repair at work, nothing more. 

• Love 15

RE all the posts discussing Omarosa "drinking the Kool-Aid". She didn't drink anything. She's opportunistic, she saw an opportunity, she took it. It didn't pan out. Now, she's taking her next opportunity. She never believed in anything other than furthering herself. She's slimy, but she's not an idiot.  And, regardless of who she is and her motivation, I'm enjoying these tapes. 

ETA

I'm sorry that I just can't stomach this show anymore. I would like to see Daniels, Avenatti and Moore. But, my blood pressure just can't take MM. 

Edited by AdeleDazeem
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, PeterBrady said:

Roger Federer is one of the “nicest “ athletes around and he is well known for his niceness. Why is it bad to have an expection of niceness? Everyone should be nice.

Especially people who are extraordinary in some way.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PeterBrady said:

And  Federer has broken rackets when frustrated and argued with umpires.  As has just about every top player.  It’s not typically a big deal.  It’s part of the passion of competitive sports.  There is no nice in competive sports..lol

Omarosa is not a republican.  She worked for Al Gore at the White House.  I don’t think she has any political leaning really other than the politics of self.  

• Love 13

Federer was a bad boy tennis player as a teenager. He learned from his mistakes. Nobody defended his behaviour. This is what changed him. https://www.express.co.uk/sport/tennis/980311/Roger-Federer-BRAT-Wimbledon-tennis-news-Nike-Mike-Nakajima. It would be a good thing if Serena could watch herself and be embarrassed by her behavior. Sadly, many are celebrating her behavior so a learning opportunity will likely go wasted.

Edited by PeterBrady
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, A.J. said:

As much as sourpuss Megan often ruins the show for me, I would have liked to see her interact with Omarosa (another "delightful" person).  Something tells me O would not have been so nice today.  

Ummmmm, hmmm you know Im leaning in the opposite direction.  I think Oma would be extra nice because of the major death in her family, and Oma has been going thru the same with the tragic sudden death of her fiancee. I bet they bond on the grief level.  Oma saying it gets better. Shes married now and happy.  MM will be happy again too some day etc

4 minutes ago, PeterBrady said:

Federer was a bad boy tennis player as a teenager. He learned from his mistakes. Nobody defended his behaviour. This is what changed him. https://www.express.co.uk/sport/tennis/980311/Roger-Federer-BRAT-Wimbledon-tennis-news-Nike-Mike-Nakajima. It would be a good thing if Serena could watch herself and be embarrassed by her behavior. Sadly, many are celebrating her behavior so a learning opportunity will likely go wasted.

PeterBrady!!  Man oh man did i have a HUGE crush on you back in the day! 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, PeterBrady said:

There’s compilation videos on YouTube of Federer breaking rackets, knocking stuff off a bench on the court and arguing with umpires throughout his career and as as recently as the 2018 Australian Open.  I’m not judging him, his passion is what makes him the G.O.A.T.    Same passion fuels Serena, yet she is called a brat, entitled, classless, etc. when she does the exact same thing. That’s the point Whoopi and Sunny were trying to make.

• Love 13

Regarding the hot topic they spoke of about Serena Williams, out of everyone, I was the most disappointed in the crowd's behavior.

They booed during the trophy ceremony, casing Naomi Osaka to start crying, and even apologize for winning. Sunny stated that she was there in the crowd. I wish she would have spoken about the disrespectful attitude of the crowd! Serena comforted Osaka, and had to ask the crowd to give Osaka her moment.

• Love 21

McCain Watch: Her photo and name are included in the announcements, but she is still not back. The cynic in me half expected her to return on 9/11, wrapped in an ill-fitting dress made from the American flag.

Whoopi introduced the topic of Hurricane Florence. Our girl Joy was ready with global warming receipts about ocean temperature and the Trump administration's decision to allow methane leaks into the atmosphere (and how it is 25x more effective than C02 at trapping heat in the atmosphere).

[She ain't got that zing, though. I'm still worried about her.]

10 minutes ago, rickhurst3186 said:

Is it just me or is Whoopie especially annoying today?

I'm about 10-15 minutes behind, but I don't think it's just you. She stepped all over Joy's climate change point to get back to the point she'd already made (that is, listen to warnings and get out of the hurricane's path). She also tried to claim credit (for The View having Oma on yesterday), for the White House's change in cell phone policy for employees. 

Edited by General Days
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, Haleth said:

George Papadopoulus is another smarmy lying liar who lies in order to save his own skin. Where did Trump dig up all these deplorable people?

My understanding is Trump had a basket of them!?

Just kidding! I am having trouble myself believing anything that comes out of Papadopoulos' mouth. 

• Love 21
23 minutes ago, Haleth said:

George Papadopoulus is another smarmy lying liar who lies in order to save his own skin. Where did Trump dig up all these deplorable people?

13 minutes ago, rickhurst3186 said:

Ugh, his wife is just as slimy George is.

I can't even listen to the "Coffee Boy" and his wife. I tried, but my brain refuses to take in his b.s. I don't think The View should have given him a platform. He's still playing games.

When does he serve his paltry two weeks? He's been all over the airwaves. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, rickhurst3186 said:

Is it just me or is Whoopie especially annoying today?

She looked extra grumpy while walking out to the table.

2 hours ago, General Days said:

She also tried to claim credit (for The View having Oma on yesterday),

Whoopi was all lovey-dovey with Omarosa, calling her "Babe," and smiling the entire time.  All-the sudden* they were best buds!  She sure can switch gears quickly.

*I don't know why I'm seeing/hearing people say this more often, instead of the usual "all of a sudden."  You?

• Love 9
2 hours ago, rickhurst3186 said:

On a positive note, I really Emma Thompson!

I've always liked  her and  find her funny during a talk show. Who was Whoopi talking about the one female late night talk show host? I'm drawing a blank. 

Edited by athousandclowns
  • Love 3

No View in the NYC area, 9/11 memorials today.  I'm sad I missed Emma, she would've been a ray of sunshine on such a bleak day.

3 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

Who was Whoopi talking about the one female late night talk show host? I'm drawing a blank. 

Robin Thede is on BET, maybe it's her.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

I've always liked  her and  find her funny during a talk show. Who was Whoopi talking about the one female late night talk show host? I'm drawing a blank. 

4 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

No View in the NYC area, 9/11 memorials today.  I'm sad I missed Emma, she would've been a ray of sunshine on such a bleak day.

Robin Thede is on BET, maybe it's her.

My guess was Samantha Bee, but it took me a minute.

Whoopi contradicting Emma Thompson on that point irritated me, though. She cut her off, when she could have just heard her out. Plus, I think Whoopi then blanked on the name, and that's why she didn't just say it, after she corrected Emma.  EDIT: Either way, whether she meant Thede or Bee, neither of them have a big network talk show. They're laboring in basic cable, with basic cable-sized audiences. 

I was in no mood for this show today. And was it just me, or did the end of the interview completely fall apart? 

Edited by General Days
  • Love 11
44 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

Yeah, I think she meant Sam Bee.  

• Love 4

Even as a non-American, this day always weighs heavy on my heart. Will never forget the assembly in school when they announced what happened or all the footage I saw on the news when I got home or the many phone calls made to my NYC family to make sure they were safe. Everyone says 'never forget'...I'm not sure how you could even if you tried. 

Having no phones in meetings may help to prevent another Omarosa situation but the op-ed had nothing to do with recorded phone conversations and neither did the Woodward book...those were things that were provided to the media, not obtained undercover. It won't stop people from providing insight to the media about what's happening in these meetings. 

So how long does Papadopoulos get to make the media rounds before going to jail? I find it very hard to believe that the wife is a thorough Italian. Not that I'm an expert but her accent sounds Russian or something from that region. Even though she says it, I'm not readily buying that she is 100% ethnically Italian like she claims. 

Emma Thompson seems like a lovely person. 

Edited by RHJunkie
  • Love 10
15 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

don't believe that the wife is a thorough Italian. Not that I'm an expert but her accent sounds Russian or something from that region. Even though she says it, I'm not readily buying that she has 100% ethnically Italian like she claims. 

THANK YOU for saying this!!! I  feel the same way. I didn't want to say it because I didn't want to be called out on Italian dialects. I think she is about as Italian as Chef Boyardee!

Edited by rickhurst3186
  • Love 14
20 minutes ago, rickhurst3186 said:

THANK YOU for saying this!!! I  feel the same way. I didn't want to say it because I didn't want to be called out on Italian dialects. I think she is about as Italian as Chef Boyardee!

The fact that she willingly brought it up about her accent and Joy said the same made me comfortable enough to say it, lol. I'll humbly digress if others with more knowledge can shed some light but man, before she even brought up the Italian thing, I thought she was Russian from the moment she spoke. 

• Love 10

If Whoopie is messing with Emma Thompson, she's way out of her league.

At Cambridge, Thompson was invited into Footlights, the university's prestigious sketch comedy troupe, by its president, Martin Bergman, becoming its first female member.  Also in the troupe were fellow actors Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.  (Wikipedia)

3 hours ago, General Days said:

Whoopi contradicting Emma Thompson on that point irritated me, though. She cut her off, when she could have just heard her out. Plus, I think Whoopi then blanked on the name, and that's why she didn't just say it, after she corrected Emma. 

• Love 6