Type keyword(s) to search

Atypical - General Discussion

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Netflix has dropped a clip and announced the release date for the first season.

Netflix has slotted a premiere date of Friday, August 11 for its new comedy series Atypical starring Jennifer Jason Leigh and Keir Gilchrist, and unveiled a first-look clip.

• Love 1

Oh, I love Michael Rapaport!

From TVLine:

The trailer also introduces us to Sam’s parents Elsa and Doug, played by Jennifer Jason Leigh and Michael Rapaport, and his sarcastic sister Casey, played by Brigette Lundy-Paine. (Elsa is well-meaning but a little uptight; her daughter adds “Remove Stick From Butt” to her daily to-do list.) Sam also has an eager friend at work who sympathizes with his sex quest and offers to take him to “Poon City,” aka the local strip joint — and yeah, that doesn’t go so well.

• Love 2

I woke up, turned on Netflix, ready to marathon It's Always Sunny, and was reminded this show dropped. I turned on this first episode, and truly...I'm hooked. One of my closest friends has a 4 year old who is on the spectrum, and while I can not relate personally to the struggle, I can empathize with the parenting of sons struggle. Hearing the husband (I don't know names yet) state how he just wanted one thing to have in common with his son...it hit me. It's a lot like my friend's husband. And mine, with my typical boys. 

This is the most charming and likable I've ever found Michael Rappaport. I'm in. 

• Love 5
On 8/6/2017 at 0:31 AM, saoirse said:

Interested in having a girlfriend, Sam researches dating advice and puts it to the test. Meanwhile, his overprotective mom Elsa must learn to let go.

And now Let It Go is stuck in my head. 

40 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

I also liked it. I'm not a fan of the mother and especially her storyline with the bar guy, but I liked all the other main characters.

Same. I think my favorite is the daughter. 

• Love 10

I'm kind of on the side of the other mom on this dance. Why does everything have to be about Elsa's kid? Why can't Sam wear his noise cancelling headphones, rather than make every other kid wear headphones?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Watched the first episode tonight, and so far...not impressed. Unfortunately it looks like they're leaning on stereotypes for all the characters, especially Sam. Hoping this corrects itself as the season goes on. I'm committed to watching either way, but I hope I don't end up cringing through the rest. 

I liked it.  I particularly liked the relationship between Sam and his sister.  My oldest brother was on the spectrum and he did detailed and sometimes misguided research about dating and asked me many questions about reading signals from women so this played for me.   Because my brother is somewhat older than me it didn't occur that having very frank conversations about peoples personal lives wasn't typical and it made my incredible awkwardness in my teen years a bit more awkward. 

Also, I really, really, really love penguins so that played for me too.  

Sam's version of Sam's dating profile would totally have gotten me to share a date at the electronics store. 

Sam and his dad going to see the penguins?  Awww.

• Love 7
On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:48 AM, Mya Stone said:

This is the most charming and likable I've ever found Michael Rappaport. I'm in. 

Agreed. A little Rappaport has always gone a long way for me.

I've always been a Jennifer Jason Leigh fan so that was one thing that drew me in....I liked this first ep, a..I'm totally in. (actually on ep 4 now) I could see this show being on network TV too.

Does Casey remind anyone of Anne Hathaway?

• Love 1

Maybe I shouldn't be, but was a little surprised Elsa slept with the bartender.  At least not this soon.

Enjoying the show still.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1

Well, I "watched" the whole thing, if fast-forwarding through every JJL scene counts. Elsa's affair subplot was tiresome. If she wants a purpose outside of being a mother there are other ways to accomplish that. I also cringed at whatever JJL has done to her face (except I'd have to give up watching all Hollywood entertainment if I let that deter me).

Rapaport had the same persona, manner of speech, diffidence, etc. that he has in every role I've personally seen him in, which wasn't a good thing for me.

I just wasn't that interested in any of the family angst, even as a framing device for Sam's story. My caring about Julia and Miles was down in the negative numbers.

Overall I liked the series when it focused on Sam, Casey, and their friends.

They sure left things open for season 2!

Edited by 2727
  • Love 1

I thought it was soon, too.  

I hav some issues with the bartender.  I understand why Elsa needs (or thinks she needs) an escape and something that is simple and something that is care free after worrying all the time for 18 years.  I get that. But I don't see what the bartender sees in Elsa.

• Love 7
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:07 PM, bybrandy said:

But I don't see what the bartender sees in Elsa.

I had the same thought. There's no accounting for sexual attraction, but I would have believed it more if he wasn't so attractive, she wasn't so much older, or she combed her hair once in a while. Maybe Nick's pattern is to hit on every woman alone at the bar, but the show presented him as being very sincere in his liking for her. 

Edited by 2727
  • Love 6

I am a woman who is autistic.  I wasn't really looking forward to this but decided to give it a shot.  I'm not impressed.  Some stuff was right on like his internal dialog on the bus  Totally something I've done.  Same with the word fixation.  They are seriously relying on stereotypes here for humor which isn't okay.  I really don't care about the parents' storyline because I am tired of the focus always being on them.  I want to watch a show about an autistic person and not one about what martyrs his parents are.  It also seems pretty obvious that Sam has undiagnosed OCD.  I'm going to try and watch a few more episodes.

I did quite like Casey.  She was supportive mostly without trying to dictate his life except for the dating profile thing.  Why is a therapist asking all her patients to donate their brains when they die?  That's weird.

• Love 4

I was surprised too.  I was hoping that Elsa would just be into some fun text flirting and not actually hook up with the guy.  As for the bartender, I'm also surprised about that choice.  My take on Elsa is that if she were to stray it would be for more than just a few texts and physical attraction. I would have imagined that she would go for a guy she met at group- sort of like the emotional affair that took over.  

I couldn't help but feel so bad for the dad... he's getting screwed by all the ladies in his life, figuratively. 

• Love 4

So, I gave the pilot a chance. It was ok, but nothing that got me excited to watch the second episode. I'll probably be slowly watching the season over the next few days. 

I think my favourite, by far, is Casey. She seems to be a very loving and supportive sister to Sam, which is nice. Even with a guy who's interested in her, Sam still comes first. I also quickly grew fond of her new boyfriend at the end; before the end, I was quite turned off by his insistence that he'd change her mind about dating. His behaviour toward Sam was nice, and he didn't get upset when Casey went in to comfort Sam. 

Therapist Julia is...odd. I really don't think that I like her all that much. Her weird "donate your brains after you die" was too much. I also went back and forth on liking the mom, Elsa, before I decided that I just don't really want to watch her story with the bartender. The dad was alright but also not quite feeling him yet. 

As for Sam, I think I need a little bit more time to get to know his character; oddly enough, it felt like we got a little less Sam in favour of the parents. I also don't think I liked how the pilot was set up; the whole thing felt uneven and clunky. 

• Love 1

I am totally digging this show, didn't think I'd like it this much. I like Paige, even though she is a bit manic. I hope those two nutty kids can make it work.

Not a huge fan of the therapist, but she's not terrible. Casey's friend that he works with,I didn't like at first but he's grown on me... he's actually had some pretty funny lines.

• Love 3

I thought the bartender was way short of attractive.  He seemed so obviously just taking advantage of her vulnerability, I want to say.  I'm not sure it's being vulnerable as much as ready to make that leap, though.  Just too quick imo. Yeah, she seemed on the edge, but that edge?

• Love 4

I loved Paige's smackdown/rant to Sam. That was pretty funny and the actress did a great job selling her crazed anger. Slitting the giant penguin's throat was nuts and then we find the dad used it on the igloo.  ha!    Glad they kind of got back together at the end.

The Silent Night dance was actually pretty cool,so were they headphones.

"stop sleeping with the bartender!" Really, Casey?...you had to put that right out there where your dad could see. I suppose she wanted him to see?

I quite enjoyed this show, and I wanted more at the end.  Hope it gets picked up. 

• Love 10
On 8/18/2017 at 0:35 AM, Valny said:

"stop sleeping with the bartender!" Really, Casey?...you had to put that right out there where your dad could see. I suppose she wanted him to see?

I took it that way, because she asked Sam about what would happen if their parents split up. If I were that bartender, I'd split town before the father can react.

I had very mixed feelings about this series. I found it enjoyable, and I binge-watched it. And I like most of the actors, especially the girl who plays Paige.

But there were certain things that really annoyed me. It seemed like Sam's level of functioning varied greatly from scene to scene, depending on what was most convenient for the writers. He's able to hold a customer service job at a Best Buy type of place, but he'll grab a girl's ponytail as hard as he can and refuse to let go just because it brushed against his face? And if a word like "twat" gets stuck in his head, he can't resist screaming it at people? Something doesn't add up here.

I'm still not sure how Elsa doing every girl's hair for free addresses the issue of the headphones messing up their hairstyles. Was she giving them all headphone-friendly hairdos? And unless the school only has 20 students, how ridiculously long would that take one person to do?

And I know this is a minor complaint, but it irritated me that the mother's name was Elsa. Newsflash, TV writers - just because a name is popular for baby girls now, that doesn't mean it was common 50 years ago. I'm sure you can find a handful of middle-aged American women named Elsa out there, but that had to be a very rare name.

I really, really hope the next season (if there is one) doesn't have Casey going to the same high school. There's no reason for her to turn down the prep school  Sam's 18, he's not going to be there much longer. She can still date her boyfriend and go to school an hour away. And she owes her wretched teammates absolutely nothing.

• Love 6

I don't think he worked in customer service at the bobo Best Buy. I think he fixed computers (like the Geek squad), and he only went over and talked to the redhead and later his therapist because he wanted to. That was my impression.

I too doubt a good-looking-ish young bartender would be into her.  I feel like they think she's got a Mary Louise Parker MILF vibe but to me she just looks like an 80s teen star with too much work done on her face.  

I like the show and especially Casey's story, though, otherwise.

On 8/19/2017 at 6:07 PM, Blakeston said:

I'm still not sure how Elsa doing every girl's hair for free addresses the issue of the headphones messing up their hairstyles. Was she giving them all headphone-friendly hairdos? And unless the school only has 20 students, how ridiculously long would that take one person to do?

I guess the logic is since the hairstyles were free, who cares if they got messed up?  For how those girls looked, Elsa maybe should've been paying them.  I loved how in the scene, she kept wrapping some straight hair around a cold curling iron then letting it go for it to fall limp again.  I guess they might need a stunt woman to use a hot curling iron in a scene.  And no one considered curling the hair before the scene.  

I too thought it was silly (though a lovely thought) to make all the students wear headphones so Sam wouldn't have to, and then Sam almost didn't even go.  Teens rarely interact in person due to technology as it is.  Why bother with a headphoned dance.  

I thought Sam was a regular customer service person at the store, due to all their standing around out in the merch and his advising Julia on a tv and helping her out with it.  I've never used Geek Squad, though.  

I enjoyed this but mostly for the teens.  The kid who plays Evan was an FBI agent on Quantico years ago.  I liked him there, too.  

4 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I guess the logic is since the hairstyles were free, who cares if they got messed up?  For how those girls looked, Elsa maybe should've been paying them.  I loved how in the scene, she kept wrapping some straight hair around a cold curling iron then letting it go for it to fall limp again.  I guess they might need a stunt woman to use a hot curling iron in a scene.  And no one considered curling the hair before the scene.  

And why would anyone want Elsa to do their hair, considering how horrible hers always looked? (Although to be fair, IRL most hairstylists have horrible hair themselves.)

If I were Sharice (or whatever Casey's best friend's name was), I would really have to wonder if she'd had any experience with black hair.

• Love 2

I found myself wishing they'd spend some time on JJL's makeup.   I think they're going for the harried housewife look but instead I see '55 year old actress trying to look 40 but instead looking 60.'  

Though I do give her credit for her slimness and the fact she appears to not be relying on extensions for the long hair.  

I think the thing that made me think he was a repair person was that in several scenes he was getting into the guts of a computer with a screwdriver, or maybe an solderer. I don't think the customer service people remove the casings of machines and access the innards of machines. And we never saw him help a customer that he didn't want to talk to for some other reason. That's what gave me that impression, anyway.

Edited by auntiemel
  • Like 1

I went into Netflix looking for GirlBoss, but ended up watching this pilot instead.  I had zero expectations - and I found myself really enjoying it.  Love the dynamic between the brother and the sister.  I am a longtime Jennifer Jason Leigh fan, and I like her in this so far.  She is overprotective but not horribly overbearing (looking at you, Minnie Driver in Speechless).  I'm looking forward to watching more episodes.

I admit upfront I do not have anybody close to me who is on the spectrum.  So I truly ask this respectfully - and without a hit of snark - how would those of you who think they are "relying on stereotypes" too much write a more authentic autistic character? 

Edited by Duke2801

So far, Casey is my favorite. She is a supportive sister even though it's clear that sometimes she gets annoyed with Sam.

Her not-boyfriend was annoying at first. I am not a fan of people who insist that they are going to wear someone down to get a date (and even more so when it's clear that they don't know each other very well). I know they think it's charming to be persistent but I find it overly aggressive and presumptuous, as well as a sign that they don't accept that no means no. But I ended up liking him because he was genuine when he was trying to make Sam feel better and he clearly had no problem with Casey ditching him to run after Sam when he was upset.

Even though Sam's coworker Zahid is obnoxious, I like that he is very supportive and encouraging with Sam. No matter how much your family loves you, it's nice to get that kind of support and encouragement from someone who isn't related to you.

I have mixed feelings about the parents. On the one hand, I totally get where Elsa is coming from. It's not just that she's the mom of an kid with autism. Lots of parents are worryworts who are stressed out and not connecting with their spouses like they used to. Life changes and your relationships change. Even if you don't have kids, your relationship with your spouse is going to be at least a little bit different twenty years later. Add to that the pressure of feeling like she is the parent who connects with Sam, how overprotective she is of him, and her resentment at her husband because she is the one shouldering that and I can understand how going to a bar with some new friends and meeting a random guy (Richie from Looking!) would make her feel like she got to be a non-wife/non-mom for a few hours. I think part of his appeal to her was that he gets to do something she doesn't get to do (go wherever he wants whenever he feels like it without telling anyone first), but I think the other part of his appeal to her was that he didn't know her as Doug's wife or Sam and Casey's mom. She was just Elsa. I hope she doesn't end up having an affair with him though.

I agree that a little bit of Rappaport can go a long way but that he's great as Doug. It was very sweet of him to bring home the dance class flyer for Elsa and suggest a date night. He is trying to make things better, both for her and for their relationship. It was also great to see him finally connecting with Sam.

• Love 3

Oh, Doug. I know that you are excited to be bonding with Sam but always ask more than, "What's she like?" If he had only asked a few questions about Sam's crush, he would have found out it was Julia before he broke into her house. I know, I know, the show wanted that but still. I'm glad that Sam is beginning to feel more comfortable with Doug and talking to him, but it was obvious how crushed Elsa was when Sam said that he wanted to talk to his dad.

So we're starting the Bailey redemption arc already? I guess at least we know where the line for Bailey is. Laughing at someone being called an orca = okay. Watching five guys pick on Sam = not okay (eventually).

I liked that Casey was direct enough to just ask Evan why he got kicked out of school. I just wish that she hadn't kissed him as an apology. Don't use your sexuality to apologize, girl!

I couldn't believe how much Elsa told her group about meeting Nick. If the big impact was really ONLY that it made her realize that Sam will never be able to live like Nick, then she wouldn't have freaked out (first when Doug suggested she go back to the bar to get her credit card, next when Doug called her from the bar and put Nick on the phone, and later when she saw Nick at the bar and then immediately turned around).

How long before Julia finds the chocolate covered strawberry that fell under the sofa and then freaks out that someone was in her house?

Zahid continues to be both the best and the worst. I had to laugh that he was willing to walk right up to that couple in the store and do his ridiculous dances just to make a point to Sam. At least Zahid isn't completely oblivious. When a guy with neck tattoos threatens to kick your ass, believe him.

• Love 3

I liked this show a lot although with some caveats (that seem to be issues with some here as well):

• I don't care for Elsa's character - I get where she's coming from and have empathy but that whole thing was poorly done and developed. 
  • Not a fan of the Sam's friend who was all "Titty parade" etc. He and Sam connected well, I thought, but I wanted to cringe at many things he said. (Made me laugh, though, when Elsa said she gave him her # in case something happened to Sam but mostly he texted her selfies.)
  • LOVED the girlfriend and her reaction to Sam breaking up with her was perfect. 
  • I am so glad I don't have kids who would do hideous things highlighting the hideous choices I've made when I was in pain. (Casey's note on the board) I don't know how anyone navigates that.
  • Liked the relationship between Sam and Casey - seemed pretty natural

I will for sure tune in next season (is that a definite or just wishful thinking on my part?). Glad I watched this.

• Love 5

Wow I was totally thinking differently. I think that JJL looks great and still has some of that cute/sexy vibe that made her popular in the 80s.  She's not a traditional "beauty" at all, but she has a very unique look.  Was also noticing that her face actually moves and does have lines so was giving her silent props for not too much plastic surgery at age 55.

I actually do not find the bartender all that attractive, personally.

In any case, I'm loving this show!   Really enjoying how they blend humor with more serious issues. 

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, Blakeston said:

And I like most of the actors, especially the girl who plays Paige

I just watched again with my sister who hasn't seen it. We did it easily in two nights.  I was waiting for Paige to arrive in the series, I think it was ep 4?   I loved Paige and the character seemed familiar but didn't know who she reminded me of, until my sister said, she looks like "the girl from Full House"  I thought she meant one of the leads but then thought, oh Kimmy Gibler! Yeah she does kind of remind me of her.

And Casey and Anne Hathaway can be sisters? She really looks like her

• Love 1

As the mother of a son with ASD, I found the show at times heartbreaking, reaffirming and highly irritating. Most of my irritation was directed at Elsa - the affair storyline was too much. The group she attended was also my worst nightmare.

I liked Casey and her boyfriend (Gavin's blood boy from 'Silicon Valley'!) - hopefully she goes to the private school next season. Not being American I don't get a lot of how schools there work but if she's going next year, won't Sam be just about done with school then? When do kids start applying for college - Sam seemed to have the academic results to progress to post- high school study?

• Love 5
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:57 PM, Shaynaa said:

Why is a therapist asking all her patients to donate their brains when they die?  That's weird.

It is weird - for a few reasons.  Therapists don't tend to do brain autopsy research, so why would she care?  Second, she's seeing patients who are younger than she is - when does she think they are going to die?  Sam is in high school! It's inappropriate to ask him to donate his brain to science!  she's a TWAT. 

But the biggest reason is that it is a breach of the therapist/client relationship.  A therapist is not supposed to ask for "favors"  like that, vulnerable clients might agree to do something because they want their therapist to be pleased.  It's taking advantage of the therapist's power.   

I didn't think the therapist was very good when she suggested Sam try to date, and then when he tried and failed, she then started giving him tips on eye contact and smiling.  He's been in therapy with her for how long?  And she waits to bring up social skills until he is rejected?  It seems like she's supposed to be some expert on Autism Spectrum disorders, (they showed her giving a lecture) but she seemed to be kind of clueless about what Sam needed.  

Other than that, I did like the episode, and I plan to watch the rest.  

Edited by backformore
  • Love 4

I liked the juxtaposition of Sam talking about how practice makes better and Elsa's morning routine. She is a better person than I am because I sure as hell don't try to clean the bathroom and do laundry while making breakfast.

I am not one of those people who is BFFs with their parents so I do not get when teenagers do things like tell either of their parents about kissing people or their sex lives or whatever.

I was disappointed but not surprised that Elsa slept with Nick. I'm not excusing her behavior at all but she is obviously floundering and grasping at anything right now. She has been playing the same role for Sam's entire life and now she feels unneeded and usurped by Julia. Again, I'm not saying that's a good reason to cheat on her husband, but I think she feels like she has spent half of her life being one thing and now she has lost that identity. She seems to have no idea what to do with herself.

I wish she'd go back to dance class and hang out with those women because she seemed to relax and be a regular person around them. For a few hours she wasn't Sam's mom, the lady who does laundry and cleans the house, Doug's wife, a person with a kid on the spectrum, etc. These women just knew her as Elsa, the new girl in dance class, and I think it was good for her to talk to some people who didn't know about everything else in her life.

Even though Elsa dislikes Julia having so much influence over Sam, I don't think it's that at all. Elsa thinks that Sam is always going to be the way that he was, while Julia sees the potential for Sam to be more independent. I understand that Elsa wants to protect Sam and make things comfortable for him, but she should be glad that he is now willing and able to go to the mall and that he wants to pick out his own clothes. All the things she pointed out that used to bother him (the bright lights, the loud music, the cash register noises) didn't bother him and instead of being happy about it, she seemed slightly perturbed about it.

I'm glad Julia found the strawberry sooner rather than later. I was imagining it with melted chocolate on top of rotting strawberry. Blech!

I kind of want there to be more fallout from Casey finding out that Doug left their family. Yes, it was a long time ago, but it should be more than just a conversation. I'm guessing that Casey going to run without him is the first sign of that.

Casey definitely has reason to feel disgruntled about her parents and Sam, but I'm also glad that Evan is there to remind her that things could be worse. His dad SUCKS.

Heh, love Doug's partner.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

Zahid and Evan both went up in my estimation this week. Loved that Evan stood up for Casey after Elsa said she couldn't go to Clayton because Sam needs to be at the same school with her now that he doesn't have a one on one aide. I understand familial responsibility but that is complete bull shit. She gives him his lunch money after they get to school. That's it. He can get it from his parents when they drop him off in the morning.

Zahid won my love when Elsa asked where his family is from (prefacing it with "That's an interesting name") and he said Vermont. I loathe the "where are you from?"/"where's your family from?" question. I know people think they're showing an interest and making conversation but it is so fucking rude. She would never say, "Evan, that's an interesting name. Where's your family from?" Ugh.

Elsa has a lot of nerve. First she tells Nick that he's a bad person for sleeping with a married woman (because obviously that's all his fault, not hers at all) and tells him that it's over, and then she asks him to give her the bar's ice cream? I don't think employees are allowed to just give way stuff in the freezer.

• Love 8

I totally get Elsa being annoyed that she was getting notifications every time someone RSVPed for Nick's birthday party but I was trying to figure out whether Nick's friends are the kind of idiots who hit "reply all" or if Elsa is the kind of idiot who doesn't know how to turn off Evite notifications.

Elsa got major demerits for asking Nick why he's having a birthday party because he's an adult. You're never too old for birthday parties so quit being so fucking judgey, Elsa!

As much as I love Casey, I hope she ends up going to Clayton so that she can escape her forced role as her brother's keeper. You can love your brother and go to another school so don't feel guilty about wanting this awesome opportunity! I'm glad that her parents both came around and want her to go to Clayton. I totally laughed at Doug's "cashews are for fancy people" thing. I wanted to tell him that non-fancy people like me get their cashews at Cost Co.

I understand that her guilt is what caused her to lash out at Paige, but damn.

For the record, I'm not on the spectrum and it would annoy me if someone who I barely knew came into my house and started touching ALL of my stuff. Boundaries, Paige! But I appreciate that she did research on her own to try to understand Sam and that she knows she can be annoying to neurotypical people too.

I don't blame Julia's boyfriend for leaving. You can only take being accused of cheating for so long before you can't take it anymore.

Ugh, I hate that Elsa slept with Nick AGAIN. I mean, I was glad when she apologized to him for blaming him entirely because it was her fault too that they slept together the first time but she couldn't leave well enough alone.

It bothered me that Doug lied to Elsa about running into Julia.

• Love 7