Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Four Episode Talk

• Start Topic

I was lucky enough to see Taylor Mac's 24-Decade History of Popular Music in my home town of Melbourne, Australia last year. It literally changed my life and my attitudes to performance and theatre. If you get the chance to see it, DO IT.

• Love 4

Jon Batiste's reaction shots are gold.

8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

After Kerry Washington talked about how in scripted dialog that people have to listen to each other and that if we all just listened to each other that there would be peace and harmony — I thought how awesome would it be to have her as the 21st century President Washington. It was just a momentary fantasy, but we've got to get our positive moments when and where we can.

Right? I know that feeling, I've been there before as well.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

Maybe I'm a pessimist but it doesn't seem Nancy Pelosi has learned anything. Last time Democrats were that overconfident Trump got in the White House. 

MTE. Stephen was visibly annoyed (arms crossed, leaning away) that she kept going after he asked her to stop. 

• Love 8

I ff'd through Pelosi once she started in on the trite rah-rahs. I'm fulling expecting the worst and hope to be pleasantly surprised next Tuesday.

Never heard of Christine and the Queens, but that was a cool performance. Felt a little redolent of Benetton ads, but the song was catchy and the dancing fun to watch.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Dewey Decimate said:

I'm fulling expecting the worst and hope to be pleasantly surprised next Tuesday.

That's how I live life in general (hope for the best while expecting the worst so as not to be disappointed or caught with my metaphorical pants down). I suspect that statistics would show that those who are financially secure (especially those who have always been financially secure) don't generally think that way.

ETA: I couldn't tell if Stephen was genuinely afraid that Pelosi's positivity was going summon jealous evil spirits to put a hex on her dreams, or if he was just performing.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I don't understand why Pelosi is considered such a great, effective Speaker, and why the party consistently backs her. I believe it's true, but whatever her skills are, they must be truly spectacular to make up for how truly off-putting and terrible she is as a campaigner or public speaker.

• Love 4

Nope. I'd want to say the same. She's awesome.

That story about the woman and the ghost was hilarious. As was the way Stephen talked about that plot to frame Mueller. The stupidity with that plot, I can't even...

• Love 4
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

ETA: I couldn't tell if Stephen was genuinely afraid that Pelosi's positivity was going summon jealous evil spirits to put a hex on her dreams, or if he was just performing.

It seemed (to me) that he was visibly annoyed she kept going. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That story about the woman and the ghost was hilarious.

I admit to laughing, but now I have yet another reason to cringe when using the airplane toilet on 2 upcoming 3-hour flights. And don't even bother suggesting the alternatives.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Ugh, I don't. The way he acted when confronted with the accurate stats about immigrants showed his true colors. Further, he said the president's "job is to be a disruptor". No. Trump is not a 19-year old Instagram model; he's the goddamned president of the United States. He should be acting like it, not like a petulant child. Yet here we are.

• Love 21

I'll need to catch this one online or something-my local channel went out for some reason around 9:45 pm last night and still wasn't on when Stephen started, so I totally missed the episode. Sounds like an interview worth checking out here. 

22 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Further, he said the president's "job is to be a disruptor". 

Yeeeeeeeeeah, I'm kind of well past done with Trump "disrupting" things. I want people in office who act like actual adults again. 

• Love 3

The show is on YouTube the following day (so last night's is up today). They break the show up into segments (where the commercial breaks are). I've watched it that way a few times because my cable is terrible and the signal doesn't always come through strong enough to record. (Of course, it's not Spectrum's fault and blah blah blah whatever.)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

The show is on YouTube the following day (so last night's is up today). They break the show up into segments (where the commercial breaks are).

2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Awesome, thanks. Spares me having to go to the CBS site and sit through their ads there. 

I usually just Google the name of the interviewee and Stephen Colbert (any time after midnight), but since this was in 2 segments, it was a little tricky, so here for your collective edification is:
Part 1: https://youtu.be/BsrpihZgW7c
and
Part 2: https://youtu.be/7pXvzo6bsKY

Several stations were wonky in the wind the last couple of days, but last night it was my sleep-deprived brain that checked out early.

Chris Wallace struck me as a very youthful 71 in terms of energy and sharpness, and they did look like they could be cousins, heh.

• Love 1

I wish that Stephen was doing his Election Night show live everywhere. I imagine I'll be passed out drunk, whatever happens, by the time it rolls around at 11:35pm in California, so many hours after polls have closed all over the country. 

• Love 2

I know even the phrase "violin music" is used as a metaphor for someone gratutiously pulling on someone else's heart strings, but Itzhak Perlman's rendition of "Someone to Watch Over Me" with Jon Baptiste did feel to me like the representative cry of the heartbreak of our times—or at least it represented my feelings.

And: Wow. Is there not a musician anywhere of any caliber whose performance isn't even better with Jon Baptiste?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 14

That was a truly beautiful performance, indeed. I love that Perlman got to come back to the same theater and perform again all these years later. 

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And: Wow. Is there not a musician anywhere of any caliber whose performance isn't even better with Jon Baptiste?

I continue to be in awe of Baptiste's talent every time it's spotlighted on here. It'd be so cool to hang out with him and talk about music and whatnot.

The monologue last night had me cracking up so much. I wonder what it says about me that Stephen and I apparently had the same joke about Democrats and BDSM in mind :D. Could've done without that disturbing image of Mitch McConnell, though. 

I also liked the discussion of young voters. I really, really hope we see a good turnout among them next week. 

• Love 6

Perlman is always amazing. He could play "3 blind mice" and it would be amazing. I don't know what it is, exactly, but it goes far beyond the mere execution of the notes.

Batiste is also terrific.

The combination couldn't help but be spectacular.

I'm annoyed that they haven't bothered to make the desk/guest area wheelchair accessible. A ramp isn't that hard to build, and it shows they haven't even considered having disabled guests and consider it of no concern that they telegraph it every night, and then don't even address it when they bring on a person of Perlman's caliber.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I'm annoyed that they haven't bothered to make the desk/guest area wheelchair accessible. A ramp isn't that hard to build, and it shows they haven't even considered having disabled guests and consider it of no concern that they telegraph it every night, and then don't even address it when they bring on a person of Perlman's caliber.

Maybe it's something they will now consider?

• Love 2
On 11/3/2018 at 4:44 PM, possibilities said:

Perlman is always amazing. He could play "3 blind mice" and it would be amazing. I don't know what it is, exactly, but it goes far beyond the mere execution of the notes.

Batiste is also terrific.

The combination couldn't help but be spectacular.

I think how they did it was perfect and very respectful.  

• Love 4

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog's interviews with Beto O'Rourke and especially Ted Cruz were terrific! I'm not normally a fan but I think I might have to become one now. When Ted said, “Just remember, it was the Dems that took you into the vets to get fixed" and Triumph retorted, “I support spaying and neutering, just like Trump did to you" TO HIS FACE. Hilarious! Lion-Ted! Lion-Ted! Lyin' Ted!

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
21 minutes ago, Twilight Man said:

Politics aside, may I just say that the cameo appearances of Scott Bakula as Dwayne Pride and Wahlburg as Danny Reagan were really stupid.

I agree. Nobody seemed happy about being in those cameos nor did Stephen enjoy reacting to them.

• Love 3

I liked the Circus guy's comment (though not the f-bomb - c'mon, dude, keep it classy) about how the midterms may seem like a letdown (to left/central folks) because of the trifecta losses of Abrams, Beto, and Gillum, though it was actually a good night. My chosen analogy will be that while our glamour muscles were neglected, we worked our core.

Between Triumph's massive burn of Cruz's neutering and the wonderful photobomber giving McTurtleConnell a thumbs-down, I'm feeling happy.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Dewey Decimate said:

I liked the Circus guy's comment (though not the f-bomb - c'mon, dude, keep it classy) about how the midterms may seem like a letdown (to left/central folks) because of the trifecta losses of Abrams, Beto, and Gillum

I'd like to add the Iowa results to that list. The races here weren't on the level of the three mentioned above in terms of national scrutiny and whatnot, but they still bummed me out personally. 

That said...

My chosen analogy will be that while our glamour muscles were neglected, we worked our core.

I like this analogy, and I fully agree there's still plenty from last night to feel good about and celebrate :). 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 2

Brief thoughts on the live show:

-The opening song was weak and too long. If you’ve been promoting live for weeks, and your whole point of the night is being live, then get to it and be live.

- The celeb cameos/show plugs went over with everyone about as well as a 2020 Trump victory.

-I hope anyone recording added about 15 minutes at the end

• Love 5

Colbert seemed exhausted and deflated. Or was I just projecting? 

1 hour ago, Twilight Man said:

Politics aside, may I just say that the cameo appearances of Scott Bakula as Dwayne Pride and Wahlburg as Danny Reagan were really stupid.

Seriously poorly integrated into the show! Never before have I felt embarrassed on behalf of a show to the point of wishing they had used a laugh track to make it less painful to watch.

• Love 2

Exhausted, yes (and who could blame him), but I didn't really see deflated. I think he just wanted to kinda focus on figuring out what all this means going forward more than anything. And he was probably trying to be careful about getting too excitable in general, in case it was 2016 all over again. 

• Love 2

I'm a little conflicted.
On the one hand:
I like to think RBG is healing faster after watching SC's hilarious monologue offering her his own ribs and imploring her to lay off extreme sports (with tastefully hysterical PhotoShopped graphics).
On the other hand:
She is probably moaning, "Please. Don't make me laugh."

• Love 9

"I don't think my liver can take another election." I think a lot of people can sympathize, Stephen. 

I liked the "grammar Nazi" line :D. 

ETA: This interview with Billy Crystal is lovely. His comments about his mom and the Oscars. Awwww. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 6

CBS was finally back tonight here (no weather interference) and SC was back to being energetic and upbeat (he seemed so spent on election night). He was totally engaged with the three very different guests: Ricky Gervais, commentator Bianna Golodryga, and teen chef Flynn McGarry. I wonder how much of his philosophizing with Ricky Gervais was scripted.

• Love 1

Agreed on his interactions with all the guests tonight. Golodryga gave some interesting insight into Russia in relation to all this political stuff going on, and I liked how respectful the religious discussion between Stephen and Gervais was. 

I was also cracking up during the monologue, when Stephen was talking about Whitaker and his connection to the toilets for "well-endowed" men. Oh, my god. We're in the flipping Twilight Zone, I swear....

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

With Whittaker trying to pimp a hot tub patent and him hoping machine will allow people to travel in time, Stephen missed out on an obvious punch line. HOT TUB TIME MACHINE!

Oooo! Good one! Maybe tonight? Er, ahh, the joke. (Not a date.)

• Love 1