Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Four Episode Talk

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

For those with multi-year contracts to their cable providers, you can try putting a Mohu Leaf antenna in your window and then unscrewing the input cable to your TV and swapping it out with the antenna cable. You may have to scan for channels at that point. If digital HD-quality CBS comes in over the air, you may want to invest a few bucks in a cable splitter and a switch so you can easily switch between cable and over-the-air. Sometimes a helpful cable guy will set it up for you —especially if you live alone and look like his grandmother, as I do, heh. 

Also, U-verse told me to watch through the locast app in their interactive section. I downloaded it. Went to bed as usual at 10:45 to watch the monologue (which I usually watch from the DVR) and then realized that I was back in the stone age and was watching live TV. 

17 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I still have CBS where I am through U-Verse luckily the local affiliate isn't owned by one of the companies currently involved in the disputes. There was a new episode last night. Here's the lineup for the week.

*Monday, July 22

Jake Gyllenhaal; Marianne Williamson (n)

*Tuesday, July 23

Sec. Julián Castro; Tony Hale; musical performance by Nilüfer Yanya (n)

*Wednesday, July 24

Chris Wallace; Jamie Bell (n)

*Thursday, July 25

Jeff Goldblum; Aisha Tyler (n)

Lucky duck. Chicagoland is without CBS. Ugh!! 

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

For those with multi-year contracts to their cable providers, you can try putting a Mohu Leaf antenna in your window and then unscrewing the input cable to your TV and swapping it out with the antenna cable.

Does an OTA antenna actually have to go in the window?  I've thought about getting one, but I don't have a window I would either want to or be able to keep open.

Of course, my memories of antennae are of the giant aerials that sat on the roof and were the sole source of programming.  We lived outside New Haven but we pulled in all the New York channels.  Once I remember seeing a fuzzy test pattern for a station in Tulsa. 

Cable in the 60s and early 70s just meant you lived too far out of range of an antenna, not any special lineup.  Before my dad got Dish Network, in the days when they either didn't provide or charged a fortune for local channels, he'd already had an antenna put up.  It was a chore to switch between cable and OTA, but it didn't seem to bother him.  And because they lived in Bucks County, PA, he had this gizmo where he could rotate the antenna, depending if he wanted to pull in signals from Philadelphia or New York. 

Anyway, I'm not sure we're better off with all these "choices" when all you want is to watch Stephen on CBS.  It kind of sucks that CBS is a free broadcast channel but they charge the cable and satellite operators to carry their signal, and the dispute now is over the amount they charge, which of course just gets passed on to the customers.  My cable provider is not involved in this fight, but who knows what the next dispute will be.

• Love 4

After all the dark, awful news of late, hearing Castro speak really helps me feel a little better. I appreciate his optimism (I'm trying to cling hard to mine as well). 

Also, I love Stephen's pride in sharing that photo of Jon Stewart smiling :D. I am very happy to hear that bit of good news, too. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

After all the dark, awful news of late, hearing Castro speak really helps me feel a little better. I appreciate his optimism (I'm trying to cling hard to mine as well). 

Also, I love Stephen's pride in sharing that photo of Jon Stewart smiling :D. I am very happy to hear that bit of good news, too. 

Yes and yes.

Castro's opening lines —likely rehearsed— were almost embarrassingly awkward. But once he started just talking, I too was encouraged by his positivity and descency. So refreshing. Even moreso than Cory Booker when he was on the show.

And having seen the episode with John Stewart's impassioned appeal on behalf of those 9/11 workers whose health was destroyed, I really enjoyed the way the camera showed us the photograph with Stephen first covering John's image, and then revealing him with that totally satisfied grin.

• Love 5

The way Colbert explained to Chris Wallace why the Mueller hearings weren't a 'disaster' for Democrats was on point. So many in the media were overly focused on the optics of it. This was a hearing, not a performance for our entertainment. We're so used to the theatrics and over-the-top behavior of politicians now that when someone comes out and acts like a normal human being, it's considered 'boring.' Plus, Mueller already made it clear he didn't want to be there. 

• Love 13
(edited)
7 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

The way Colbert explained to Chris Wallace why the Mueller hearings weren't a 'disaster' for Democrats was on point. So many in the media were overly focused on the optics of it. This was a hearing, not a performance for our entertainment. We're so used to the theatrics and over-the-top behavior of politicians now that when someone comes out and acts like a normal human being, it's considered 'boring.' Plus, Mueller already made it clear he didn't want to be there. 

All of this. All he needed to do was confirm what was in the report and he did that. I liked how Stephen mocked some of the more bizarre/ridiculous questions and comments at the hearing. 

I did love Wallace's story about how he and his wife had just so happened to plan a trip to Russia right around the time of his interview with Putin, though. Funny and unsettling all at the same time :p!

And wow, does he ever look like his dad. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 5

I'm glad Stephen turned it around in the interview, because I was a little disappointed in the way he mocked Mueller in his monologue. As someone who is hard of hearing myself, it is frustrating and difficult to catch what people say, and already embarrassing enough to have to ask for a repeat. How much more so with a hundred cameras clicking away, which would only make things worse. 

I did very much appreciate the positive points being brought up, though. It seems like Stephen and Rachel Maddow were the only ones who noticed. 

• Love 4

I liked when Stephen referenced his own experience testifying before Congress a number of years back to further prove his point. And I like how he further expanded on his thoughts in the monologue tonight. Spot on analysis. 

As for other topics, I'm clearly going to hell, 'cause I laughed at that Toys R Us joke :p. I also loved the story about the bear trying to move that dumpster from that weed store. 

Also, I think it's going to take a while for my eyes to readjust after looking at the optical illusion that was Jeff Goldblum's shirt and tie combo. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I have always been embarrassed by my fascination with Jeff Goldblum because he seems to border on skeevy, but now that I know SC feels the same, I might as well own it. 
And, most of the Me Too evil doers that have been revealed always hid their skeevyness.

Too bad JG couldn't have sat in with Jon and Stay Human -- or did that happen later?

• Love 5
On 7/26/2019 at 10:51 AM, shapeshifter said:

I have always been embarrassed by my fascination with Jeff Goldblum because he seems to border on skeevy, but now that I know SC feels the same, I might as well own it. 
And, most of the Me Too evil doers that have been revealed always hid their skeevyness.

Too bad JG couldn't have sat in with Jon and Stay Human -- or did that happen later?

The fact that he's 30 years older than his wife does it for me.

• Love 4

I generally have mixed feelings about the Personal Space box interviews (sometimes funny, while most of the time I start thinking about how some folks could really use a good facial scrub), but the one with Ricky Gervais... I was literally holding my stomach from laughing so hard. RG's utter discomfort was palpable through the screen and I could not stop cracking up.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

I generally have mixed feelings about the Personal Space box interviews (sometimes funny, while most of the time I start thinking about how some folks could really use a good facial scrub), but the one with Ricky Gervais... I was literally holding my stomach from laughing so hard. RG's utter discomfort was palpable through the screen and I could not stop cracking up.

I’ve never seen Ricky speechless. It was hysterical!

Maude Apatow’s nervousness was endearing. Perry Ferrell is god but his wife bores me. Now I understand Beatles’ fans 😑.

• Love 1

The identify the candidate segment was sadly reminiscent of Jay Leno's old Jaywalking bit, where he confirmed that people really are as uninformed, maybe even stupid, as we suspect they are.  I wonder if the woman had recognized anyone but Biden if Stephen would have kept putting up pictures to test her knowledge.  But of course, it was instantly clear she had no knowledge.

Idris Elba is still gorgeous, well deserving of Sexiest Man Alive.  Too bad I loathe action movies, and while I, naturally, adore real cats, Cats doesn't interest me.  But I would love to go to cat school.  Or teach it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Idris Elba is still gorgeous, well deserving of Sexiest Man Alive.  Too bad I loathe action movies, and while I, naturally, adore real cats, Cats doesn't interest me.  But I would love to go to cat school.  Or teach it.

I loved him and Stephen doing the cat moves/expressions together :D. 

Also, regarding the monologue...7/11. 7/11. Dear God...

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Also, regarding the monologue...7/11. 7/11. Dear God...

Not even appropriate to make fun of, IMO, but SC is doing a bang up job of cataloging every slip of the tongue -- just not funny anymore.

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, meowmommy said:

The identify the candidate segment was sadly reminiscent of Jay Leno's old Jaywalking bit, where he confirmed that people really are as uninformed, maybe even stupid, as we suspect they are.  I wonder if the woman had recognized anyone but Biden if Stephen would have kept putting up pictures to test her knowledge.  But of course, it was instantly clear she had no knowledge.

I'm not sure we're in hopelessly-uninformed territory if an average person on the street doesn't recognize photos of the eleventy-hundred primary candidates at this point, but that's probably beyond the scope of this thread and I can't figure out how to move it somewhere more appropriate.

ETA: Sorry, not meaning to be political, just kind of felt bad for that woman if people were seeing her as an uninformed citizen.

Edited by SoMuchTV
Clarifying
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm not sure we're in hopelessly-uninformed territory if an average person on the street doesn't recognize photos of the eleventy-hundred primary candidates at this point, but that's probably beyond the scope of this thread and I can't figure out how to move it somewhere more appropriate.

ETA: Sorry, not meaning to be political, just kind of felt bad for that woman if people were seeing her as an uninformed citizen.

The woman from the audience seemed embarrassed, but probably mostly because she's not used to being on a top-rated national (arguably international) show. She may always cringe to see video of this segment, but I thought she did a fine job, looked great, and her grandchildren will be proud to show it.

• Love 4
(edited)
21 hours ago, meowmommy said:

The joke was not her lack of knowledge and I thought the show made that clear, especially with the Scooby Doo intro where none of the gang could identify the candidate. The joke was that there are a lot of candidates and most of them are not recognizable to the general public (even if they are generally aware).

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, ahisma said:

Jon was up and jumping around at Bernie's “I wrote the damn bill” comeback! Hilarious!

I always wonder when Jon gets excited at something Stephen says, because don't they go through it all in rehearsal?  But for the live show, maybe no run-through. 

I think Stephen's Bernie is even better than his 45.  The only reason I would want Bernie to win is so that Stephen can imitate him for four more years.

The whole live thing loses some of its relevance for me when it comes on at 10:30 here, which is 1:30 am on the east coast.  Definitely not live.  That said, it's pretty amazing that Stephen and his writers can come up with a monologue, complete with clips, in about an hour.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

That said, it's pretty amazing that Stephen and his writers can come up with a monologue, complete with clips, in about an hour.

I watched most of the late night hosts last night and I totally agree, it’s amazing how their teams are able to come up with material like that on the fly. 

• Love 4

Aside from Biden, I could only put a name to one of the photos. That was Bennett, who I remember because he has an odd smile. I can name many of the candidates but not necessarily match the name with a face. 

(edited)
50 minutes ago, ABay said:

Aside from Biden, I could only put a name to one of the photos. That was Bennett, who I remember because he has an odd smile. I can name many of the candidates but not necessarily match the name with a face. 

I knew Gillibrand because she's my senator.  I would have liked to have seen if she knew the other top tier candidates.

I had no idea until today that we now have a forum with multiple threads.  

Edited by partofme
  • Love 1

Oh, right, Gillibrand. I did know which one she was v. real estate Kate. Who else did he show? Bennet was first, and then weren't there a couple before Gillibrand?

Floved the cold open.  I could listen to those guys sing political parodies all night long--or their original songs, too.

Totally unrelated to anything--why does Stephen always look so much better in a blue suit than a gray one?   

The monologue just wasn't that good this time.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Floved the cold open.  I could listen to those guys sing political parodies all night long--or their original songs, too.

I didn't watch the show last night but I saw these guys on youtube.  They were really good! 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Best cold open for this show ever!

• Love 4
On 8/1/2019 at 10:11 AM, meowmommy said:

🎵Baby he needs Obama,

Got to have Barack Obama,

Has Joe Mentioned he knows Obama?

Yes, he's really tight with Obama🎵

It's stuck in my head now lmao they were AWESOME! I need the full version of all these songs lol. 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I was looking at Conan’s schedule, and it’s reruns all week, except for Thursday, where it’s NEW, with “surprise guest” listed. (Everyone else is new all week).

Suspenseful.......

• Love 1

I love, love, love that clip of Beto O’Rourke getting frustrated with reporters when they ask him silly questions with obvious answers.

Also totally agree with Colbert when he said, “First of all, there is no link between video games and shootings.” It’s true. A huge gaming community exists in Japan, and yet they don’t have reoccurring murder massacres like we do in America. It’s so ridiculous and stupid and a (completely unconvincing) argument that many politicians have ran on for years- it’s the violent video games! I played video games when I was younger - Perfect Dark and Goldeneye 007 in the 90s, both games involving guns. Never, ever did it translate to me harming actual people. 🤦🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

I love, love, love that clip of Beto O’Rourke getting frustrated with reporters when they ask him silly questions with obvious answers.

Also totally agree with Colbert when he said, “First of all, there is no link between video games and shootings.” It’s true. A huge gaming community exists in Japan, and yet they don’t have reoccurring murder massacres like we do in America. It’s so ridiculous and stupid and a (completely unconvincing) argument that many politicians have ran on for years- it’s the violent video games! I played video games when I was younger - Perfect Dark and Goldeneye 007 in the 90s, both games involving guns. Never, ever did it translate to me thinking about or actually harming people. 🤦🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️

And that's the reason they never link it to home environment. It's the video games!  It is such an outdated argument and it gets them nowhere. What an eye roller....

• Love 2

Why is "that guy" on ALL THREE late night talk shows at the same time???

Is he seriously thinking about doing yet another movie????  The second one was really stupid.

Oh well.  Hollywood rule of three.  First one great; second one not so great; don't even talk about third one.

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Ron Burgundy?  Ron effing Burgundy???

Who was also on Seth Meyers as well? A marathon for Will, but I don't know how he pulled it off. I've seen people do consecutive nights but never the same.

• Love 3

Will Ferrell isn't funny when he does his own standup; why would he be funny doing it in character?  And a character that just wasn't that funny to begin with.  I shut it off after about 30 seconds.  Epic fail, Stephen.

I am trying to think of someone who truly would deserve secret billing as A Very Special Guest on multiple networks, and nobody comes readily to mind.  

• Love 5