Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Four Episode Talk

• Start Topic

Political commentary from either the Late Show with Stephen Colbert or any related PTV editorial piece is fine to be discussed in this forum.

However, posts that contain personal political views are subject to moderation.

This directive is purposely broad because anytime hard lines are drawn in the sand and/or examples are given, some will use it as an opportunity to walk too close to the line, or even put a toe over it.

Please remember, mods are only human, and sometimes stuff will slip through the net. So if you see a post that violates the above, please do not respond - use the report button.

If you have a question on any of this, please PM the forum moderator, @saoirse

Thank you!

I'm normally not a beard person in general, but I'm a little more used to it watching the show tonight :). I ultimately think Stephen's wife is in the right here, though-I loved him saying that she was the "electoral college" in response to that Twitter poll :p.

As for other topics, LOL at those photoshopped pictures of Mueller and Comey. And "You don't know which side the protesters are on"? Just....wow. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, msrachelj said:

is his hair dyed? ugh. i don't know why men do that. 

Presumably for the same ignoble reason women do it, including but not limited to the idea that it makes them seem younger than they are. If Colbert is colouring his hair I think it's very subtle because it looks to me as if he has some grey at his temples and in the front. It's not uncommon for a man's beard to appear to be a different colour than the hair on his head, and the only comments I recall hearing Stephen make on the subject were that he doesn't colour his hair . . . which could have been ironic or a lie, but the touch of grey makes me believe it could be true.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I ultimately think Stephen's wife is in the right here, though-I loved him saying that she was the "electoral college" in response to that Twitter poll

As she should be.   He didn't say one way or the other, though, whether the electoral college will prevail.  I don't believe that whole studio audience loved it.  They applaud anything.

My father once tried to grow facial hair.  My mother shut that down, fast.

• Love 4

My dad always sported a beard and my mom didn't seem to have an issue with it-it was actually weirder when we saw him clean-shaven, LOL. 

But yeah, some people can pull off that look well, others, not so much. 

• Love 2

My stepdad, who started dating my mom when I was 16 and married her a year later, has a goatee. He's always had facial hair; my mom doesn't know what he looks like without it. I'm fairly sure that if he shaved his face she'd file for divorce.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

My stepdad, who started dating my mom when I was 16 and married her a year later, has a goatee. He's always had facial hair; my mom doesn't know what he looks like without it. I'm fairly sure that if he shaved his face she'd file for divorce.

I read that as your stepdad and mom starting dating when SHE was 16.  I was like "how does that even happen"?  LOL  Sorry to your mom for my one second ill will thought.  <3

I don't like the beard either 

• Love 4

My dad's had a mustache my entire life.  Sometimes he'd grow a beard as well but the stache was always there.  One year he decided to shave it all off as he hadn't been without facial hair since high school.  I told him he looked like a serial killer and I could barely be around him it freaked me out so much.  He didn't grow the mustache back for my benefit (his reaction to my dramatics was an eyeroll), but he did grow it back and I could look at him again.

Stephen's beard would look better if it matched his hair.  The dramatic difference in color just makes it look fake and is too distracting.  Too bad his kids aren't little anymore cause Evie could try to get one of them to do like Maggie Stewart who once told Jon that his "kisses feel like punishment" when he grew a beard during time off from The Daily Show.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I read that as your stepdad and mom starting dating when SHE was 16.  I was like "how does that even happen"?  LOL  Sorry to your mom for my one second ill will thought.  <3

I don't like the beard either 

We do live in North Carolina.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Stephen's beard would look better if it matched his hair.  The dramatic difference in color just makes it look fake and is too distracting.

Kind of off topic but it reminds me of Steve Harvey. He also came back from his hiatus with a beard. I wonder if all the talk-show hosts speak with each other and get ideas :D

• Love 1

Just watched the ep with John Krasinski. I've always liked him, but now I have a full-blown celebrity crush!  He was so cute, especially when talking about his wife and kids. Great story about going to Brown, then theater school, and how his mom supported him (emotionally) in his efforts to pursue acting.

The action scene with him and Stephen was fun to watch.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

Kind of off topic but it reminds me of Steve Harvey. He also came back from his hiatus with a beard. I wonder if all the talk-show hosts speak with each other and get ideas :D

It's not just talk show hosts. The thing that happens is

• Man has job where it is not acceptable to show up with stubble
  • Man goes on break, doesn't have to shave daily or at all
  • Gets past stubble stage to beard
  • Vacation ends, man not ready to give up beard (or go back to shaving routine) and shows up at work with beard.
  • Love 6

Holy Snow Man, I hate that beard as well.....and he says he doesn't dye his hair, well he needs to dye his beard, it looks nasty and he looks like Wolfe what's his name on CNN.  Oh, an wasn't Emma Thompson a total delight last night?  I adore her. 

• Love 4

Bootsie, wear your seat belt.  We really don't want anything to happen to you.  

4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I like the beard but I concede that ultimately it's the electoral college's call to decide its fate.

I wish she'd hurry up and decertify the election!

• Love 3

I enjoyed the bit about snakes in the. White House but I wish they had used the sanitized clip of Samuel L Jackson because I love the bowdlerizations "monkey-fighting" and "Monday to Friday" so very much.

The tribute to Burt Reynolds was nice. I had forgotten that Burt had been a guest. He seemed frail then -- in fact if I am not misremembering they didn't show him walking out to his seat.

• Love 4
On 9/7/2018 at 10:28 AM, Alexis2291 said:

Add Alex Trebek to the list, who showed up on the Jeopardy premiere with a beard today (not a talk show, but still, getting some media attention).

Edit- To tie it in with Colbert, Trebek also has a Facebook vote going.

Edited by opus
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, opus said:

Add Alex Trebek to the list, who showed up on the Jeopardy premiere with a beard today (not a talk show, but still, getting some media attention).

Edit- To tie it in with Colbert, Trebek also has a Facebook vote going.

Is there a vote where he keeps the moustache part? Because that's all that matters.

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, Victor the Crab said:

Is there a vote where he keeps the moustache part? Because that's all that matters.

I don't know about that, but I hope everyone saw Colbert's challenge to Trebek last night :)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, opus said:

I don't know about that, but I hope everyone saw Colbert's challenge to Trebek last night :)

I hope that doesn't mean this gets dragged out even longer!  I have taken to listening only, because I can't stand to look at that icky growth on his face.  Besides, Alex is probably too old and rich and almost retired to care about a silly challenge.  

Strangely, I barely even notice the beard. Because it's so light-colored, doesn't even register with me and don't care whether he keeps it or not. But AT would win in a beard-off, I'm afraid - much fuller in what I presume is a shorter period of time.

Now, the way he behaves with the participation-style ending segments (cooking, floral arrangements, etc.) - is it me, or does he always seem frantic and hyperactive? I almost wish they'd just do a taste-n-joke piece with the chef-types rather than try to smoosh in the entirety of the recipes in a useless and rushed fashion.

Also hyper is Neil DGT - something about him on the Late Show seems to amp up his blood pressure. He seemed so chill on Cosmos and on the eps of his talk show I've seen, but I worry he's gonna have a heart attack on this show.

Kavanaugh at the poker game was so effing perfect.

44 minutes ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Also hyper is Neil DGT - something about him on the Late Show seems to amp up his blood pressure. He seemed so chill on Cosmos and on the eps of his talk show I've seen, but I worry he's gonna have a heart attack on this show.

I was too thinking I'd never seen NdGT so animated before—not even on Celebrity Family Feud.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Strangely, I barely even notice the beard. Because it's so light-colored, doesn't even register with me and don't care whether he keeps it or not. But AT would win in a beard-off, I'm afraid - much fuller in what I presume is a shorter period of time.

I believe Jeopardy takes the whole summer off where The Late Show was only off for the last couple of weeks of August. I have been thinking that I would like Stephen's beard better if it were fuller but also that it probably looks better in person than on TV. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I believe Jeopardy takes the whole summer off where The Late Show was only off for the last couple of weeks of August. I have been thinking that I would like Stephen's beard better if it were fuller but also that it probably looks better in person than on TV. 

Yes. But not too long—like Letterman's. IIRC, Letterman began growing his during the writers strike as a show of solidarity. I'm glad thus far Stephen hasn't said that he won't shave until certain political changes are made. I always preferred my ex with a beard, but hated the way it looked when he didn't trim it. In hind sight, I should've offered to trim it for him.

On 9/6/2018 at 9:20 AM, SomeTameGazelle said:

If Colbert is colouring his hair I think it's very subtle

I remember one time when he was off the air for a few months, I saw pictures of him with gray hair on top and a gray beard as well. It's hard for me to believe he doesn't dye it. When did he say that?

I liked Tiffany Haddish telling him to condition it. Why hasn't anyone told him that before? Doesn't he have people?

Also liked his children's book adaptation of Trump's comments to Florence survivors.

• Love 1

The beard has got to go, now.  Sooner if possible.

The middle-age wisdom is right up there with Midnight Confessions.  It also has got to go, now.  Sooner if possible.

I thought maybe Stephen was going to make the children's book a real thing, like John Oliver's Marlon Bundo riff.  Especially seeing all the words on the back of the dust jacket.  Someone on the staff put a lot of work into that book.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

I remember one time when he was off the air for a few months, I saw pictures of him with gray hair on top and a gray beard as well. It's hard for me to believe he doesn't dye it. When did he say that?

I am pretty sure he said it when he was on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and maybe also on the Late Show. I don't recall seeing him with grey hair above the original sea captain version of the Colbeard but I might have missed it. And I don't know whether when he said he doesn't dye his hair we were to take that at face value or a knowing wink. I am firmly on the side that it is not impossible that the dark hair is natural. But if it is dyed I accept that that is possible.

I don't think it's impossible that people can have naturally divergent hair color, but having seen the hiatus photo where he was fully gray, I believe it's dyed. It's not impossible to strip dark hair and turn it lighter, but I can't imagine him going to the trouble do that so as to be gray on vacation.

Thank you Stephen, Jon Batiste, and Neil deGrasse Tyson for making me momentarily forget about how much my boss has seemingly decided to focus all of her anger on me for the foreseeable future, but seeing them waste a dozen eggs broke the spell, reminding me of my bleak future. Hillary's words then nicely distracted me, but, honey, who dressed you?

• Love 7
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't think it's impossible that people can have naturally divergent hair color, but having seen the hiatus photo where he was fully gray, I believe it's dyed. It's not impossible to strip dark hair and turn it lighter, but I can't imagine him going to the trouble do that so as to be gray on vacation.

If I could see the same photo I would agree, but the only photos I can find have the dark hair. Could your memory be playing tricks on you? If Stephen had been gray wouldn't the photo be somewhere online?

This is the earliest reference I could find, and it is two-tone.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/meet-stephen-colberts-colbeard/

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

Where is this alleged photo? I've just run a fairly comprehensive Google images search, and he has his regular dark hair with touches of silver in all of the pictures. This includes during the filming of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, during which he confirmed that he doesn't color his hair.