Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Four Episode Talk

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

When Stephen noted that of all the times he’s interviewed Congressman Schiff, this is the first time he’s looked so happy, I couldn’t help but think it’s because Schiff knows that the checks and balances will finally exist for the current President. 

And did anybody else think Emily Blunt was flirting (in a friendly way of course) with Colbert? I mean who could blame her, right? 😝

It must be so tough sometimes for these people to hold back on revealing whatever they do know. I admire Schiff, and the other Democratic politicians they've had on lately, keeping those cards close to the vest, though.

And Blunt was definitely a bit flirty :D. She seems like a really sweet, cool, charming person. 

• Love 4

Some of Stephen's interviews seem awkward because there's not a connection between him and the guest and he's too busy checking the cards for the next question, while at other times an interview seems awkward because he's tongue-tied and a bit flustered by charming flirtation. Emily Blunt's was the latter, and I'm all for it! (Nicki Minaj was another fun one of that nature.)

• Love 3
On 12/14/2018 at 3:06 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

In the 1980s, when Michael Jackson was the reigning King of Pop, Michael was such a popular name that when it was number one on the baby names list, the variant Micheal was also in the top 10. I don't think it has any personal significance beyond parents finding the spelling with the ae counterintuitive and thinking ea was correct.

ETA: Apparently it is also the Gaelic spelling.

That's how Liam Neeson's son spells it, but with an acccent:  Micheál . (He recently changed his last name from Neeson to Richardson to honor his late mother.)

• Love 1
On 12/11/2018 at 7:55 PM, IvySpice said:

Kathy was awesome. We went to see her "laugh your head off" tour when it came to Chicago. We were especially eager to buy tickets because she'd been abused by government thugs this way. Great show and she went on for more than 3 hours.

We did the same when she was in Atlanta.  Really awful what they put her through.  We love her, but, can see why some don't, and our impression is that Stephen doesn't really like her all that much.  

• Love 3
On 12/19/2018 at 11:31 AM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Loved seeing Sandra Bullock. She looked fabulous and her outfit was to die for. I would totally be star struck if I saw her.  (I would also want her to play me in a movie, if they ever made a movie about me. ha ha)

I saw her that morning when I was at the Kelly and Ryan show. Sandra is not who she acts like in TV. I am no longer a fan of hers. I wrote a bit about it in the Kelly and Ryan thread. 

• Love 1

I've heard of Josh Hutcherson but never actually watched anything he's in (UO, but I couldn't make it through more than 10 mins of The Hunger Games). He was hilarious! Stephen laughing and taking off his glasses had me in contagious hysterics. And KMK as the main interview - super funny night. (Cutting to "felon" drummer Joe with implied dramatic chipmunk music was icing on the cake.)

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Stephen laughing and taking off his glasses had me in contagious hysterics.

I loved the bit he did with the beer bottles, when that one slid way too far and fell over :D. I love when Stephen has a full on laughing fit. 

The interview with Keegan was so entertaining (also, yeah, "Blister in the Sun"! Good song, that). I'm not familiar with Hutcherson, but agreed that he was a fun guest, too. Just a good show all around :). 

• Love 9

What was especially clever, absolutely genius really, about the beer bottle bit is that you know that for each bottle that was shown, the writers had to buy a full 6-pack, on CBS's tab.  And then there arises the problem of how to dispose of the remaining 5 bottles that weren't used on air.  Strong motivation to come up with as many Spanky related beer-puns as possible.

• Love 8

I have developed a strong liking for half-dollar Jackson, mainly from his interviews on this show! 😍

ETA: good on him on a high-dollar champagne AND he knew how much a bottle costs (other celebrity shillers often don’t).

Edited by DrSparkles
  • Love 3
On 1/10/2019 at 7:22 PM, Hooper said:

What was especially clever, absolutely genius really, about the beer bottle bit is that you know that for each bottle that was shown, the writers had to buy a full 6-pack, on CBS's tab.  And then there arises the problem of how to dispose of the remaining 5 bottles that weren't used on air.  Strong motivation to come up with as many Spanky related beer-puns as possible.

I'm sure it wasn't any problem at all to dispose of the other beer bottles. :)  

I love when they do a bit based on the many varieties of a food/drink item.

• Love 3

Hoping this isn't too political in nature, but wow, I found Gillibrand's "coming out" to be sadly charisma-free. She seemed pretty nervous, but if you can't handle relatively basic questions from SC, how are you gonna play hardball in a den of vipers? I do look forward to more wanna-rans making the announcement on the Late Show (and receiving the limited edition button).

I cannot get enough footage of the White House Candlelit McFeast. It's a comedy dumpster fire.

• Love 6

Yeah, I agree that her nerves seemed to get the better of her a bit. But perhaps once she's right in there with the Democratic nominees we'll get to see more sides of her come out. I too am looking forward to seeing more potential candidates-it seems there's a lot of women talking about running in 2020, which would be very awesome. It'll be fun to get to know more of these candidates as time goes on.

5 minutes ago, Dewey Decimate said:

I cannot get enough footage of the White House Candlelit McFeast. It's a comedy dumpster fire.

"Hamberders." I just...

(On a similar note, my mom and I were cracking up the other night at "peachy dory".)

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

I keep thinking about this being written in history books (well, on Kindle tablets or whatever future people will use) and people being like, "He did what now??" because please god, let this not ever become our new normal.

The Liberace-esque candelabras just (*chef's kiss*) set the mood perfectly.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I keep thinking about this being written in history books (well, on Kindle tablets or whatever future people will use) and people being like, "He did what now??" because please god, let this not ever become our new normal.

I've said before that future generations are going to think we just flat out made up so much of what happened during this presidency because of how crazy it all is. To the point where we'll be like, "No, really, honestly, you just had to be there. Words can't begin to describe." 

(And yes to not letting this be the new normal. I just want to go back to the days when I could go online and not brace myself and wonder, "Okay, so what insanity awaits us today?") 

• Love 8
On 1/16/2019 at 11:32 PM, Dewey Decimate said:

I found Gillibrand's "coming out" to be sadly charisma-free.

I agree. She should have looked to the audience and even to the camera a little bit more. 

I think there are a lot of people who are going to run. Stephen should just have one person announce every night.  Are we then going to have the "Hungry for Power Games"? I always enjoyed that in 2016.

"Peachy-dory" is the only thing that Trump has said that I actually like. Hunky-keen doesn't ring off the tongue as well though.

• Love 4

Oh, wow.  I've only ever seen Sarah Paulson in roles, not as "herself" , and that was... not what I was expecting. Not in a bad way, just not what I was expecting.

Edited by SoMuchTV
Typotypotypo

I like her, too :). If/when she ever decides to run for president someday, that'll be a campaign to watch, for sure. 

I loved Stephen's monologue last night, especially his comments on Sunday's football games. Given I'm not into football, I got a real kick out of the whole "'Where is the ref?', is what I'm told I should say." bit. 

(That said, however, I am happy that the Rams won simply because they were my dad's favorite team. My mom and sister have taken up rooting for them in recent years, too (when my mom's not focusing on her favorite team, the Dolphins, that is :D), so they're pretty happy as well. Just a shame that win has controversy hanging over it.)

• Love 3

For as much as I can't stand the furry hat and midnight confessions(?) segments, I love "Meanwhile"!

19 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

When they do that ridiculously stupid bit “stars under the stars” are they laying down or standing up? It’s the only reason I watch it because I honestly can’t tell. 

I can't tell either! Sometimes it looks like there's a bit of a pillow shape under their heads (under the blanket) and other times not. I don't think the segment is funny at all.

• Love 2

The perils of taping Friday's show Thursday. Although they recognized the end of the government shutdown in the cold open, it really felt empty that Stephen was still talking about it like it was ongoing. That, and not talking about Roger Stone's arrest the very same day.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

The perils of taping Friday's show Thursday. Although they recognized the end of the government shutdown in the cold open, it really felt empty that Stephen was still talking about it like it was ongoing. That, and not talking about Roger Stone's arrest the very same day.

I wonder if SC will be discussing this off-camera in a meeting as a tipping point that generates a decision to do more last minute editing in the future because political happenings seem to turn on a dime so frequently now. He has addressed it in a few episodes in the last 2 years, but maybe after this Friday night's episode there will be an executive decision for a new norm for editing—either cutting bits or maybe adding some sort of MS3000K theater-type of commentary.

Friday's was the first live show I saw all week because CBS signal fails when it rains or snows here, but I finally saw AOC's interview on YouTube, and: ❤️

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

For as much as I can't stand the furry hat and midnight confessions(?) segments, I love "Meanwhile"!

I can't tell either! Sometimes it looks like there's a bit of a pillow shape under their heads (under the blanket) and other times not. I don't think the segment is funny at all.

Omg. I hate confessions and the big furry hat too and I love meanwhile!  I was confused for a second when I read your post ...I was like “hmmm I don’t remember writing that”. Lol. 

• Love 1

So, they were supposed to be live tonight after the state of the union. Did they swap that to the new sotu date? I haven't been able to find any updates. Not sure how long it takes to turn the ship around, so to speak, once they start planning something.

11 hours ago, DrSparkles said:

SC was NOT having the bullshit of Cliff Sims!! Thank you sir.

That guy (Sims) talks out of both sides of his mouth. 

4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

So, they were supposed to be live tonight after the state of the union. Did they swap that to the new sotu date?

I believe so.

• Love 2

I just watched the last "Meanwhile" segment on Youtube - the one with the Valentine's Candy, the frogs, and the Weinermobile - It was hilarious!  It's as if Stephen and the writers took some of the wackier segments from the Colbert Report - The Threatdown or something similar - and just spun them a little to make them fit the new show.  I've been out of touch and will have to look more of these up - are there a lot of them?

• Love 1

Yeah, that segment's been running for at least a few months now, so there should be at least a handful more of those for you to watch. They just did another one tonight, in fact. I'm enjoying that segment, too. Especially since it seems to often involve Colbert cracking up halfway through at some point :D.

So we can add "Waming" to the Twitter typos list along with "hamberders" and "covfefe" and such, it seems, then :p? Seriously, though, how many more times do we need to explain to people how global warming and climate change work in order to stop these ridiculous "It's so cold, LOL what global warming?" types of comments? 

(On the note of the cold snap, though, my area's definitely among those who will be feeling those -60 degree wind chills tonight. I swear, virtually my entire town has shut down for tomorrow because of this weather.)

• Love 2

I think Chris Christie was slightly tipsy by the end of his interview. 

I love how Colbert basically told him that nobody likes him (the historically low approval rating, asking him who’s his constituency) without actually saying it, lol. 

I also love Yvette Nicole Brown and completely agree with her about Andrew Shultz and others who are thinking about running as independents - we don’t need that in 2020. 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

So, they were supposed to be live tonight after the state of the union. Did they swap that to the new sotu date? I haven't been able to find any updates. Not sure how long it takes to turn the ship around, so to speak, once they start planning something.

The show was supposed to go live, but since SOTU address was rescheduled, so was the live show. They will go live on February 5, following rescheduled SOTU address.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I thought Stephen was pretty brutal with him. A fun interview! 

Maybe but my mom's a teacher in NJ, I have zero tolerance for Christie.  

I did like his interview with Yvette Nicole Brown.

I didn't like the guy who was there with the 2 from the Circus.  I always enjoy the 2 of them on this show, but the 3rd guy rubbed me the wrong way.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, partofme said:

I did like his interview with Yvette Nicole Brown.

Same :). It's always fun to see her pop up in general-I loved her on "Community" and "The Mayor". She seems like such a sweet person. 

• Love 1

I have Spectrum in NY and definitely have the Late Show on demand. It sometimes just takes a day or two for the latest episode to be there.  (I skipped yesterday on purpose because I don't care about the Super Bowl.)

• Love 1