Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Four Episode Talk

• Start Topic

Iain Armitage was just adorable. 

14 hours ago, opus said:

Alex Trebek has shaved, reportedly because of his wife.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/alex-trebek-shaves-beard-to-end-national-frenzy-and-satisfy-1-person/ar-AAArYas?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=DELLDHP

We shall see if Mrs. Colbert holds similar power...

Alex Trebek is *married*?? I had a coworker in, I guess, 1995 or so who had been on Jeopardy (or maybe he just auditioned) and was invited by Alex to go hot-tubbing afterward. So I've always thought of Alex as a "confirmed bachelor." 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Mystery said:

Iain Armitage was just adorable. 

Alex Trebek is *married*?? I had a coworker in, I guess, 1995 or so who had been on Jeopardy (or maybe he just auditioned) and was invited by Alex to go hot-tubbing afterward. So I've always thought of Alex as a "confirmed bachelor." 

Per Wikipedia:

Spouse(s)
Elaine Trebek Kares (m. 1974; div. 1981)
Jean Currivan-Trebek (m. 1990)

Maybe he and his wife have an "agreement" or maybe not. Who knows.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I could watch Stephen and Neil all day, every day.

Cosigned. I think they make each other better. 

Hillary didn't mention Trump's name once, just called him "this president." Stephen said it once. I liked their interview right until Stephen made a joke at the end, "You don't have to yell," when Hillary said that the Supreme Court has already decided that a sitting president can be subpoenaed. I don't think he meant anything by it (I can see him saying it to a male guest, I guess) but I think it feeds into the trouble women have, trying to tread a line between being aggressive but not "too aggressive." 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Mystery said:

Cosigned. I think they make each other better. 

Hillary didn't mention Trump's name once, just called him "this president." Stephen said it once. I liked their interview right until Stephen made a joke at the end, "You don't have to yell," when Hillary said that the Supreme Court has already decided that a sitting president can be subpoenaed. I don't think he meant anything by it (I can see him saying it to a male guest, I guess) but I think it feeds into the trouble women have, trying to tread a line between being aggressive but not "too aggressive." 

Could the "You don't have to yell" remarks have been scripted and rehearsed to make the point about Hillary (and other women) having been put down in the past for speaking up, but it just didn't work?

• Love 4
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Could the "You don't have to yell" remarks have been scripted and rehearsed to make the point about Hillary (and other women) having been put down in the past for speaking up, but it just didn't work?

Maybe! I've said before that as much as I like him, I don't think that Stephen is the best interviewer. He tends to follow his scripted questions even when a guest goes off on an easily followed tangent. 

• Love 2

I ask this every time Stephen does Rescue Dog Rescue---why aren't there ever any cats?????  (I'll give him that these puppies were especially cute.  But these were Florence rescues; just as important to help kittens get rescued as well.)

And shave the fucking beard already!!!!!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

I ask this every time Stephen does Rescue Dog Rescue---why aren't there ever any cats?????  (I'll give him that these puppies were especially cute.  But these were Florence rescues; just as important to help kittens get rescued as well.)

I'm 100% a cat person, but I just can't see cats being willing to be the least bit cooperative in something like that.  Can you imagine a cat falling asleep in a guest's lap during an interview?  On my couch, sure.  But not in the Ed Sullivan theater.  But there was one time they did that segment and had a cat disguised as a dog.  Must have been an exceptionally chill cat, based on my experience.

And wasn't it very early in his time on the show (or was it on his old show?) where he had guests who had some kind of performing cat circus?  If I remember correctly, the cats took off in all directions, and Stephen had to step in and perform the cat tricks.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for raising awareness; if you're thinking about adopting a pet, you've probably already decided between dog and cat but it's a reminder to consider shelter/rescue pets.

• Love 10

Maybe they could have the cat counterparts for each puppy's fake story, and just show a picture.

I can't believe that I noticed right away that Stephen had shaved, and it took his wife two hours. To be fair, she had a lot more years of looking at his unshaven face than I did. 

I assume that Stephen and his female guests work out, ahead of time, whether he will reach out and help them up the step when they come on. There's never any awkwardness. I rarely wear heels, so I'd need the help! Was thinking of it tonight with America Ferrara. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ABay said:

My opinion of Emma Stone went up because of the way she interacted with the puppies.

Jim Parsons was also very sweet on his segment, softly thanking each person who handed him a puppy. 

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

at the risk of appearing shallow, what the hell was that necklace candance bergen was wearing last night?

I'm not sure. I was disappointed that her interview segment was so short though.

Stephen's extended explanation of boofing tonight had me laughing so hard my eyes almost started watering. The way he kept wiggling his butt and imitating enjoying having alcohol sent up his back end. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, wonderwoman said:

at the risk of appearing shallow, what the hell was that necklace candance bergen was wearing last night?

I went back to look at her interview clip on YouTube and realized that I was so distracted by her jacket (not in a bad way) that I didn't notice the necklace. The two of them together were a weird combo.

CB.thumb.jpg.78a7515f01e27e684127a3a9c0387fe8.jpg

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

4 hours ago, Jaded said:

I went back to look at her interview clip on YouTube and realized that I was so distracted by her jacket (not in a bad way) that I didn't notice the necklace. The two of them together were a weird combo.

Ooh.
That necklace.
Well, as a woman 7 years younger than Candace Bergen but who has not had plastic surgery, I imagine our necks are similarly wrinkly, and I imagine that if I was ever invited to appear on national TV that I too would cover my neck so as not to gross out viewers.
But, yeah, Not with that necklace.
There are so many lovely scarves.
My youngest daughter just sent me a scarf from the gift shop of the  National Portrait Gallery printed with the foliage of the background of Obama's portrait. Maybe my daughter has better taste than Candace Bergen's? Actually, my daughter's taste isn't great — but it is a lovely scarf, and that necklace is so wrong.

• Love 3

Funny, I loved that necklace! The combo with the jacket was a little odd, but I thought it was a stunning statement piece (and a unique way to disguise the crepey neck wrinkles. I'm not quite there but am wise enough to see it in the future).

Really enjoyed Jon's backup on Nas' performance. He's always been a great foil to Stephen, but I think I've moved to crush-stage. His calm and chill makes me feel snuggly.

Loved Stephen's eloquent outrage at the shithole morass of DC. I feel like if this squint-faced rancor creature gets voted in as a justice of the pinnacle of this country's justice system, we'll hit the even horizon beyond which there is no hope of escape.

• Love 10

As a long-time fan of The Colbert Report, I'm accustomed to seeing Stephen play a character expressing outrage, as a joke.  But Stephen the person, as opposed to Stephen the character, wasn't joking last night; he was absolutely seething.  That "reap the whirlwind" take down at the end of the monologue was a thing of terrible beauty.

• Love 13

I can’t hold it back: Jake Tapper is Z A D D Y! In other words he’s fine af lmao ???

Otherwise everything else he was saying is straight #facts lol. Of course Trump was making up about 99 percent of what he was alleging during his press conference (main example: Trump saw a Democratic Senator in a compromising position). ? #WeNeedProof 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 4

Ok, I am officially in love with Lady Gaga now. She was so vulnerable with Stephen, it was beautiful.  I loved her breathy laugh.  

Stephen was hilarious as an old man pulling his pants up, mocking the old white men trying to be angry to pivot the attention away from women who have been assaulted to their claw-like grasp to hold onto power .  I actually laughed out loud which I rarely do at anything on tv these days.  

• Love 9

I just watched all the shows from last week over the weekend. I don't follow Lady Gaga and don't know her songs (but have heard her belt out a few on various awards shows -- she sure can sing!!). But I was all in for this interview. She was so interesting and thoughtful and sincere. I thought I noticed SC choke up, or at least overtaken with emotion, at the end of his last segment with her. He was speechless, and obviously very moved. It was very powerful to see.

A comic was listed as a second guest, but I can't remember if that person was in the opening credits (photos of the guests on taxis, billboards, etc.) or just listed in the show guide. Was that person still listed as a guest before the show? I thought since he/she was bumped, he/she would show up on the "Friday" show, but that didn't happen. Wonder if the person just couldn't make it that night. I can't imagine what it must be like to be bumped from a show like that, esp. for an up and coming comic. They must rehearse for weeks for their big opportunity, and then they don't get to perform. Bummer.

• Love 3
On 10/6/2018 at 3:22 PM, Tosia said:

Ok, I am officially in love with Lady Gaga now. She was so vulnerable with Stephen, it was beautiful.  I loved her breathy laugh. 

19 minutes ago, Arcey said:

I just watched all the shows from last week over the weekend. I don't follow Lady Gaga and don't know her songs (but have heard her belt out a few on various awards shows -- she sure can sing!!). But I was all in for this interview. She was so interesting and thoughtful and sincere. I thought I noticed SC choke up, or at least overtaken with emotion, at the end of his last segment with her. He was speechless, and obviously very moved. It was very powerful to see.

Full, 30 minute long interview with Lady Gaga is now posted on Late Show's Youtube page. I don't really follow Lady Gaga, but I absolutely loved this interview. One of the best interviews Stephen did recently.

22 minutes ago, Arcey said:

A comic was listed as a second guest, but I can't remember if that person was in the opening credits (photos of the guests on taxis, billboards, etc.) or just listed in the show guide. Was that person still listed as a guest before the show? I thought since he/she was bumped, he/she would show up on the "Friday" show, but that didn't happen. Wonder if the person just couldn't make it that night. I can't imagine what it must be like to be bumped from a show like that, esp. for an up and coming comic. They must rehearse for weeks for their big opportunity, and then they don't get to perform. Bummer.

Not really a bummer, since it's very likely his/her performance was pre-taped earlier. For the last few months, Late Show will occasionally post tickets for something they call "Comedy Hour". It's very likely they are pre-taping stand-up performances which then air later as part of the Late Show episodes. It's why you usually never see Stephen and whatever comedian is that night's performer together anymore.

• Love 3

And thank you, Stephen, for making me laugh by pointing out that Tucker Carlson shouldn't complain about not being able to go to a restaurant without someone saying F-U to him because it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without that happening. My family doesn't worry about going to Hell, we've already created it here's in our earthly homes. Heh.

ETA: LOL!
[FakeMelania about Drumpf]: He should just focus himself.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

And thank you, Stephen, for making me laugh by pointing out that Tucker Carlson shouldn't complain about not being able to go to a restaurant without someone saying F-U to him because it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without that happening.

That made me laugh, too :D.

On a different note, in regards to last night's show, as a U2 fan, I really enjoyed seeing Stephen and Phoebe Robinson geek out a bit over that band/Bono. And I loved the whole thing with the cookie looking like both Bono and Stephen. Hee. 

• Love 2

Colbert's monologue made me laugh. Repeatedly. In this personal and global world of stress.

And then…

Kayli Carter was so much better than the cringe factor 10 Phil McGraw.

Janelle Monáe really does channel James Brown. 

Kind of mean to show the fab drummer dropping a stick—but maybe it serves to deflect unwanted attention from fans who don't even know he's a talented musician?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Colbert's monologue made me laugh. Repeatedly. In this personal and global world of stress.

Same. Some days it's tough, because it's hard to find the humor in all the insanity going on, but I'm still so thankful he's here to try and lighten the mood, if only a little. 

I'm not a fan of McGraw, either, but I did like his response in regards to the current issues regarding transgender people. And yes to Monae. She's amazing to watch just being on a late night talk show, I can only imagine what it'd be like to see her in concert. 

• Love 1

I love Janelle Monae more every time I see her.

I was surprised but pleased by Phil's support of transgender people. I think of him as a bit of an asshole, but I guess he's not all bad.

I rather enjoy Stephen trolling Tucker Carlson to mention Stephen's book.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Thank you, Taylor Mac, for that awesome speech during your performance tonight. I think it's the first time in a while I've actually felt a little better, and genuinely hopeful. 

I liked the way the unavoidable "commercial break" was used as an example to demonstrate the concept of incorporating the heckler in the audience into the show so the heckler didn't steal the message of the show—at least that's how I read it.

After Kerry Washington talked about how in scripted dialog that people have to listen to each other and that if we all just listened to each other that there would be peace and harmony — I thought how awesome would it be to have her as the 21st century President Washington. It was just a momentary fantasy, but we've got to get our positive moments when and where we can.

• Love 7