Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Four Episode Talk

• Start Topic

Just now, ABay said:

Stephen doing the Bigfoot yell into the phone made me burst out laughing.

Same. I like to imagine Rick Perry listening to his messages and hearing and and being like, "...what the hell?" :p. 

• Love 1

I was kinda looking forward to a sit down interview with Conan but we got heads in a box instead. I couldn't make it through much of that segment due to it making me feel physically uncomfortable just watching it.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, meowmommy said:

OMG, Sasquatch Rick Perry segment was painfully unfunny.

Agreed.

But the line “Two of the smartest men on Earth, and Professor Chu.....” was pretty good.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:
3 hours ago, ABay said:

Stephen doing the Bigfoot yell into the phone made me burst out laughing.

Same. I like to imagine Rick Perry listening to his messages and hearing and and being like, "...what the hell?" :p. 

I liked imagining Rick Perry later saw this segment.

3 hours ago, Jaded said:

I was kinda looking forward to a sit down interview with Conan but we got heads in a box instead. I couldn't make it through much of that segment due to it making me feel physically uncomfortable just watching it.

I had to leave the room for most of it (and just listen). I think I may still have a touch of something like PTSD just thinking about the bit I did see. Kudos to Conan for telling SC he shouldn't humiliate his guests. 
Doesn't Conan play music anymore? I would have loved him jamming and hamming with Jon Baptiste -- and I bet Conan would have preferred it too.

• Love 2

Last nights show had the feeling of being a bunch of leftover segments put together. I went and checked an old clip from Conan’s February appearance on the show and Conan and Stephen were wearing the same clothes. 

But I have hated all the box segments. I wish they would stop doing them. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Bramble said:

But I have hated all the box segments. I wish they would stop doing them. 

I was going to suggest a little campaign via Twitter to ask him to #StopTheBox  or #NoPersonalSpace but comedians generally just eat that stuff up for breakfast and then . . .
Never mind.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Bramble said:

I have hated all the box segments. I wish they would stop doing them. 

Me, too. I actually feel the same way about most of the other bits they do-- furry hat, confessions, I forget what other ones I FF through. The greeting card first drafts don't annoy me, but they aren't funny enough to me that I understand why they keep doing them, either.

I like the monologues, and sometimes I like the interviews. I do like the fake movie posters, like they did with Bill Hader recently-- I've seen them do that with other guests before, and it was funny to me those times, too.

I love JB and SH. It bothers me that I still don't know the names of most of them, though.

I used to like Covetton House (GOOP spoof), but I've gotten bored with it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Me, too. I actually feel the same way about most of the other bits they do-- furry hat, confessions, I forget what other ones I FF through. The greeting card first drafts don't annoy me, but they aren't funny enough to me that I understand why they keep doing them, either.

I like the monologues, and sometimes I like the interviews. I do like the fake movie posters, like they did with Bill Hader recently-- I've seen them do that with other guests before, and it was funny to me those times, too.

I love JB and SH. It bothers me that I still don't know the names of most of them, though.

I used to like Covetton House (GOOP spoof), but I've gotten bored with it.

I pretty much agree with everything you said.  I watch the monologue, but the interview only if it's someone I want to hear from, which is rare.  Greeting card was funny the first time, not so much later.  Hate furry hat, midnight confessions, big questions with bigger stars (on the sleeping bag), and anything with animation, like talking to god.  

I don't mind the bits with "Melania," since Laura Benanti is terrific.  "Meanwhile" is hit or miss, although I suspect Stephen enjoys being able to take the focus off the nonstop political humor.  Sometimes the cold opens are great, and other times a complete dud.  I almost always like Real News Tonight.

I remember getting tired of the Colbert Report, too, and only watching the Daily Show for a long while.  It's as if Stephen has the need to take what works for him and drive it so hard that it gets buried in the ground.  He's still not a great interviewer, and maybe he ought to work on that instead of relentlessly pushing comedy bits that aren't funny.  

• Love 4

I like Meanwhile!

I forgot about all that other stuff.

Melania and Real News Tonight are ok, but I wouldn't miss them if they disappeared.

The show's ratings seem to be great, though, so those of us who dislike all that stuff are probably not important to the life of the show.

• Love 4

I wouldn't say those of us who don't like some of the bits aren't important since those bits haven't run us off completely. From what I've read we either do something else while the ones we don't want to see are on or change the channel and back again after they are over. 

• Love 4

I like the Melania scenes, but not as much as Stephen does. I like Meanwhile and First Giraffes.  I have mood swings about Big Questions With Even Bigger Stars, Big Furry Hat and Midnight Confessions. I hate Real News and most of the cold opens. I really enjoyed the Hungry for Power Games, who knew that ferrets enjoyed champagne so much. I come for the monologues, I stay for the rest.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I really enjoyed the Hungry for Power Games

You have to figure that’ll be coming back when Democrats start to drop out.

• Love 2

DVR backed up.  Just me, or did anyone else see Julianna Margulies and think "oh honey, time to rethink your relationship with the plastic surgeon"?

She was a good interview.  Very personable and just the right amount of playful. I was impressed with her knowledge of the real history behind her new miniseries. It was very interesting, and I will definitely watch.

I'll never understand lovely women actors that stretch and fill past the point of looking like themselves.

One reason I watch BBC series like "Unforgotten".  People look like people I know.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

DVR backed up.  Just me, or did anyone else see Julianna Margulies and think "oh honey, time to rethink your relationship with the plastic surgeon"?

She was a good interview.  Very personable and just the right amount of playful. I was impressed with her knowledge of the real history behind her new miniseries. It was very interesting, and I will definitely watch.

I'll never understand lovely women actors that stretch and fill past the point of looking like themselves.

One reason I watch BBC series like "Unforgotten".  People look like people I know.

When I saw Julianna for the first time on TV in over a couple years at least I thought her face seemed off and that she needed to fire her stylist if she has one. If not she needs one. At times that sleeveless dress looked like something one would wear to have makeup applied before putting on actual clothes while her slicked back hair looked kinda greasy. Her attempt at a minimalist look came across like she tried to hard if that makes sense. I used to really like her then her attitude seemed to change especially after that "Good Wife" controversy happened.

• Love 3

I loved that Stephen didn't get the connection of "Bear" to Bayer" until he said "'How Do You Care for a Very Sick Bear" by Vanessa Bayer'" (Hey...wait a minute) when signing off to commercial. I didn't either until just as he said it so his reaction was my reaction.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, BookThief said:

I loved that Stephen didn't get the connection of "Bear" to Bayer" until he said "'How Do You Care for a Very Sick Bear" by Vanessa Bayer'" (Hey...wait a minute) when signing off to commercial. I didn't either until just as he said it so his reaction was my reaction.

I didn't get it until I read your post.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, BookThief said:

Same! I loved that moment, too :D. His expression was great. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, BookThief said:

Same. It was so cute when he got it. (And then I got it too). Lol

• Love 4
(edited)

Regarding last night's show, Emma Thompson was delightful :D. I loved her story about the officer visiting her. 

I also got a real kick out of that story about that principal from that Louisiana school. Dear god. It just. kept. building. I especially loved Stephen's little "Okay" after mentioning the name of the school :p. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 8

"She's a woman on a late night talk show....science fiction, really."  Heh!

Usually the interviews bore me, but I could have listened to Dame Emma all day.  I thought Amazon Studios movies were for Amazon Prime, but this one's going to theaters.  Grr.  

• Love 6
(edited)

Emma Thompson never lets me down. Her impression of appalled sheep had me in stitches. Hugh Grant was right, "mad as a chair" - but what a delightful chair!

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 10
18 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Regarding last night's show, Emma Thompson was delightful 😄

17 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Emma Thompson never lets me down. Her impression of appalled sheep had me in stitches.

17 hours ago, meowmommy said:

"She's a woman on a late night talk show....science fiction, really."  Heh!

Usually the interviews bore me, but I could have listened to Dame Emma all day.

Thank all of you above for reminding me to rewatch Emma Thompson's bit when I can. Truly at the top of her game, and a game in which she is out in front.

Last night James Corden had me LOLing, and I don't usually do that. Oddly, Stephen was not so amused. Maybe because they had rehearsed? IDK.

But Zoe Kravitz!
She should have her own late night talk show. 
Or anything else she wants to do.
What a surprise and a delight WRT her quick wit and charm.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Last night James Corden had me LOLing, and I don't usually do that.

I loved the conversation he imagined Trump having when meeting the Queen:

"This is Queen Elizabeth the Second."

"This is Melania the Third." 

• LOL 6
  • Love 7

OMG if that whole hysterical exchange over Stephen's watch wasn't scripted, it should have been.  You could see their wheels turning, as two comedy writers each imagining how they could incorporate it into a routine somewhere.

Talking watches are too Dick Tracy for me, anyway.  And send me the Marriott points, please, if you can't use them.

Nice of Jon to play "Right place, wrong time," for Dr. John.

I kept trying to see the hair ornament Mindy Kaling was wearing on the back of her head, but she never turned completely around.

I wish I had a dollar for all the lunches I never got to take as a registered nurse.  I would be able to afford a talking watch.

So lovely, the letters that Stephen's family has saved in that binder all these years, and so nice for Stephen to read his uncle's letter as a tribute.  

• Love 12
17 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

So lovely, the letters that Stephen's family has saved in that binder all these years, and so nice for Stephen to read his uncle's letter as a tribute.  

That letter he read was amazing poetry. Really wonderful.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, meowmommy said:

That was so cool and touching. His uncle sure had quite the way with words-Stephen may not have known him, but it's clear he inherited that love of words. I love that his family's got that kind of history saved away. 

And yes to the interview with Kaling. Stephen just completely losing it was great :D. Also, Mindy looked gorgeous. 

• Love 7

Apparently I have developed a love of sparkliness, because Kaling's dress was causing me major joy.

She never finished her story, did she? The phone call interrupted it.

Tonight they should have phones going off in the audience during his monologue.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I wish I had a dollar for all the lunches I never got to take as a registered nurse.  I would be able to afford a talking watch

If I had a dollar for all the lunches I never got to take as a high school librarian, that would be about $1K—which would possibly go to replace my inherited iPhone 5C or my 10-year-old laptop (whichever dies first) but I am still wondering: Does SC really save points? Because like Mindy Kaling was teasing him about: He sure doesn't need them. So I'm wondering if he still thinks like us poor folk, or was that just a robo call?

Anyway, yes, yes, a thousand times yes, to this, which made me tear up too:

13 hours ago, meowmommy said:

And, yes:

13 hours ago, ahisma said:

That letter he read was amazing poetry. Really wonderful.

I hope SC is going to publish at least a selection of them. 

• Love 7
17 hours ago, possibilities said:

Apparently I have developed a love of sparkliness, because Kaling's dress was causing me major joy.

Mindy is just the cutest mix of cool, pretty and doofus. Not really my genre, but I'll gladly spend an afternoon at the movies to support her.

• Love 4
On 6/8/2019 at 1:25 PM, zillabreeze said:

Mindy is just the cutest mix of cool, pretty and doofus. Not really my genre, but I'll gladly spend an afternoon at the movies to support her.

Her character on The Office annoyed me to no end lol, but it was really cool to learn that she helped write a lot of my favorite episodes.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, ahisma said:

The Mayor Pete Buttejazz clip and Jon playing the piano were killing me! So funny! I ♥️ Jon. 

The expression on his face after seeing the clip was perfect :D. 

I also liked the description of the politicians' five minute speeches being similar to that of awards shows. I live in Iowa, so it's always fun when election time rolls around and people start talking about politicians visiting us :p. A couple of the Democratic candidates have come through my town in recent months, but I was unable to go-I'll need to keep an eye out and plan for any future visits, 'cause I'd definitely like to go see some of these people in person. 

• Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

I admire Billy Porter's confidence. Honey, I'm a woman and I'm not nearly as confident as he is wearing dresses.

Same. No way could I even begin to pull off the kind of style he's got going on, but hey, if he were to offer me some fashion tips, even just small ones, I'd take it :D. I liked his comment about the attitude around women wearing pants versus men wearing dresses. Damn straight. 

Loved Stephen doing that little strut around the stage in the hat and glasses. I'd be all for him coming out like that every night to start the show :p. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 6

CBS’s ‘Colbert’ Books Guests for Upcoming Live Shows

CBS’s “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” is going live later this month, and the show announced the guest list for its two live broadcasts. The show will go live June 26 and 27 following the Democratic presidential debates.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and musical guest Incubus will appear on Wednesday, June 26, with former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and the founders of “theSkimm,” Carly Zakin and Danielle Weisberg, set for Thursday, June 27.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Rick Santorum and "I think" almost made me choke on my Vanilla & Almond Special K this morning. What an asshole. I can't decide whether I dislike Tobias Menzies (Frank/Jack on Outlander) because he reminds me of Santorum, or if I dislike Santorum because he's an asshole but also because he resembles Tobias Menzies.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ABay said:

Rick Santorum and "I think" almost made me choke on my Vanilla & Almond Special K this morning. What an asshole.

I want to punch my television screen anytime I have the displeasure of seeing his face. I really can't stand the guy. How does he get up every morning without a spine?

• Love 8
6 hours ago, ABay said:

Rick Santorum and "I think" almost made me choke on my Vanilla & Almond Special K this morning. What an asshole. I can't decide whether I dislike Tobias Menzies (Frank/Jack on Outlander) because he reminds me of Santorum, or if I dislike Santorum because he's an asshole but also because he resembles Tobias Menzies.

I said while watching that clip, "If Santorum is supporting you, you're clearly on the wrong side of an issue." Why does that guy still think he's relevant? 

The "I think" bit was hilarious, though :D. The whole monologue about that mess of an interview with Trump was fantastic. 

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

I love when Jon Stewart comes out from under Colbert’s desk! I also loved his passionate 9/11 speech.

I miss regularly seeing Jon Stewart on my television screen, period.

Same.

There are not enough words to describe how truly vile McConnell is. What an asshole. Thank you, Stewart, for calling him out live like that. And when McConnell doesn't show up to meet with the first responders or sign the bill ('cause you know damn well he won't), that should be the major news story of the day. 

And speaking of trying to deal with stupid crap, I just want to say that Stephanopoulos has way, way more patience than I do. 

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

And when McConnell doesn't show up to meet with the first responders or sign the bill ('cause you know damn well he won't),

Hate to be technical, but it wouldn't be the Turtle signing the bill.

12 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

I love when Jon Stewart comes out from under Colbert’s desk!

I hate it.  It's creepy in the same vein as two heads in a box.  Come out and sit in a chair like a normal person.  

13 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

I miss regularly seeing Jon Stewart on my television screen, period.

Yes.  Nothing against Trevor Noah, but I desperately wish Jon had not given up the Daily Show.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:
14 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

I love when Jon Stewart comes out from under Colbert’s desk!

I hate it.  It's creepy in the same vein as two heads in a box.  Come out and sit in a chair like a normal person.  

Two heads in a box is worse, IMO, unless: Is it really a closed box, or is one side open to the camera?

• Love 4