Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Four Episode Talk

• Start Topic

I’m going to miss Veep 😔I was so happy to see the cast altogether like that. I wonder why Reid couldn’t make it? 

I also love Santino- my favorite Greg in Crazy Ex Girlfriend. He also was in the first season of JLo’s show Shades of Blue and was recently in Fosse/Vernon. 

• Love 3
On 5/9/2019 at 10:40 AM, meowmommy said:

Okay, so how is Stephen's entire audience supposed to fit in the theater where Bryan Cranston is performing?  Unless...the show isn't selling well, which I find hard to believe, as everything I've read says it's a sellout.  Unless...LSSC bought all the tickets?

I’m thinking they didn’t release tickets for Cranston’s show because this was the plan all along, to invite the audience.   I’m so ticked off. Last night the audio on my cbs affiliate was out. So weird. Off to the inter webs to their Times Square adventure. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And this was the first time I saw an interview with Keanu Reeves in which he was really engaging (once I got past the hair styling). The clip of his latest flick was awfully CGI'd, but who knew that KR has such a big heart?

He has a long history of being extremely respectful to crews and teams. He seems to be generally liked by everyone who has ever worked with him and even the internet - the 'Sad Keanu'-meme is proof. I can't think of many celebs getting that amount of love by simply sitting on a bench.

His answer to Stephen's last question was really poignant.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 5/10/2019 at 8:43 PM, meowmommy said:

Oh, you have to see it, especially the early seasons.  If you have HBO, you can get the entire series on demand.

I tried watching it a couple years ago, starting from the beginning. Either I was still at my last job or I had just left it, but the tense dynamics in their office made me so anxious, I couldn't keep watching. I'd lived through it and watching it on TV set off a kind of PTSD in me. I know tons of people love it—and I love Julia Louis-Dreyfus in everything else I've ever seen—but I just couldn't stick with it.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, MissLucas said:

He has a long history of being extremely respectful to crews and teams. He seems to be generally liked by everyone who has ever worked with him and even the internet - the 'Sad Keanu'-meme is proof. I can't think of many celebs getting that amount of love by simply sitting on a bench.

His answer to Stephen's last question was really poignant.

His face after answering kinda made me sad and he seemed kind of surprised that Stephen asked the question. He and his girlfriend at the time experienced the loss of a stillborn baby in 1999 and a couple years after that the ex-girlfriend died in a horrific car crash. I read that the crash may have been her fault but I don't think that negates the loss.

With it being so close to Mother's Day Keanu's answer made me think of my Mom who's only been gone a few years and my Nana who was like a 2nd Mom who died when I was 12. I've made mention of my Mom recently on a few threads around here recently so if anyone has seen those too I apologize for sounding like a broken record.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

What did Stephen ask and what did Keanu say that has everyone going aww?

[SC] What do you think happens when we die, Keanu Reeves?

[KR takes a deep breath] I know that the ones who love us will miss us.

You can see the interview here (the Awww question is near the end): https://youtu.be/oNu6NyMkp8k

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 9
(edited)
16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Stephen Colbert + Bill Hader = genius magic

Hader's laugh is everything :D. I would totally watch those movies.

LMAO at the "Agent Penis" story. Loved the "Baby Got Back" take on the big tariffs, too. 

Also, I knew that Alfred E Neuman reference, and I'm two years younger than Buttigieg. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 5

Going into nerd mode for a moment, but I really enjoyed the song by guest James Bay in no small part because his guitar sounded amazing — like it was being played on an acoustic guitar in the room with me — even though I was watching on a small 10-year-old TV, and it turns out "Bay endorses and plays Tone King amplifiers, a boutique amplifier brand of Premier Builders Guild" (wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bay_(singer)#Gear). 

• Love 3

I loved Jon’s “Tariff War” musical intro! He was on fire with his musical punctuation last night. 

Stephen's “I’m old” thousand year stare for getting the Alfred E Neumann reference was me. 😂 I was torn between appreciating Pete’s burn of 45 and feeling that I'm on the downslope.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
13 hours ago, ahisma said:

I loved Jon’s “Tariff War” musical intro! He was on fire with his musical punctuation last night. 

Stephen's “I’m old” thousand year stare for getting the Alfred E Neumann reference was me. 😂 

Yes to both of these! So much good in the episode, I expect it to be used in repeats (if quality = ratings = repeat usage).

I hope Jon gets more regular featured bits like this. They don't have to be long.

Edited by shapeshifter
missing verb
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ahisma said:

I was torn between appreciating Pete’s burn of 45 and feeling that I'm on the downslope.

I liked that Jon played a couple of bars of Happy Birthday.

I didn't appreciate Pete's burn, not one bit.  I am offended by generational wars, and he's not going to win my vote that way.  Stephen is younger than my kid brother, so if he's old, I'm dead.  Besides, MAD magazine is still around.  

And talk about references that are old, Herbert Marshall?  James Mason?  It's like being on TCM, which means, sadly, most younger people definitely won't get it.

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Stephen Colbert + Bill Hader = genius magic

I like to think that both their responses to the movie posters were completely improvised.  And that Bill asked Stephen if he could keep the posters.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ahisma said:

Stephen's “I’m old” thousand year stare for getting the Alfred E Neumann reference was me. 😂 I was torn between appreciating Pete’s burn of 45 and feeling that I'm on the downslope.

I think Mayor Pete should use Alfred E. Neumann's catchphrase "What, me worry?" when anybody asks him how he feels about what Trump called him or if Trump can beat him.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I think Mayor Pete should use Alfred E. Neumann's catchphrase "What, me worry?" when anybody asks him how he feels about what Trump called him or if Trump can beat him.

I take it that’s at Alfred used to say?  If so, that’s hysterical. I’m 55 and to me he’s the “mad magazine” guy. 

• Love 1

I adore Bill Hader! He makes me laugh harder than almost anyone! His delight at the Maybe Coming Soon movies, and their posters, was far better than any of the premises, themselves. (And many of them were genuinely funny, or at least silly.) I, too, hope he got to take the artwork home.

I wish Bill could guest on a talk show every night! Of course, then he wouldn't have time to actually do any of the work that makes me laugh... A conundrum.

• Love 3
On 5/14/2019 at 3:25 PM, meowmommy said:

I liked that Jon played a couple of bars of Happy Birthday.

I especially loved that Batiste played it in a minor key, as befitting the joke. That was amazingly quick and subtle.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Alexis2291 said:

Colbert’s take on Alabama’s abortion ban was hilariously on point. 

It was incredibly cathartic. I have so many words about what's happening in Alabama and Georgia right now, but I'm pretty sure most of them wouldn't be printable. The Pod Save America guys mentioning the things people can and will do in response made me feel a little better, though. 

(Also, speaking of that interview, once again, I missed some of it due to one of those emergency alert tests. Ergh.) 

On a happier note, BTS were quite charming. Loved when they launched into a bit of "Hey Jude" :D. 

• Love 6

The whole Beatles motif made me cringe. They are their own artists, so why needlessly draw comparisons, especially comparisons that will just be divisive. They seem to be a very talented, charismatic, easy to like group (even if their fans often do them no favors), but the heavy-handed push for them on these shows has been counterproductive. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

The whole Beatles motif made me cringe. They are their own artists, so why needlessly draw comparisons, especially comparisons that will just be divisive. They seem to be a very talented, charismatic, easy to like group (even if their fans often do them no favors), but the heavy-handed push for them on these shows has been counterproductive. 

I think that was more Stephen's idea, he is kind of obsessed with Ed Sullivan and The Beatles performing in the same auditorium. It looks like he tried to recreate the iconic performance, from broadcasting in black and white, right down to the same screaming fans.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I think that was more Stephen's idea, he is kind of obsessed with Ed Sullivan and The Beatles performing in the same auditorium. It looks like he tried to recreate the iconic performance, from broadcasting in black and white, right down to the same screaming fans.

I agree. I just think it was unfair to them. Well hopefully they had fun.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I interpreted it more as a commentary on the fan enthusiasm (and the vague befuddlement of the host) than on the band per se.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I did like that they sat on the couch and gave interviews, but yes, I thought the whole Sullivan/Beatles motif was unnecessary.   Actually, I thought it was more about Colbert showing off.  I'm old enough to be these kids' grandma but I think BTS are delightful and they make me feel like a 15 year old again.   They could have performed without the shtick.  

• Love 2

I was looking forward to The Big Bang cast for follow up to the season finale.  Kaley Cacao would Not STFU!  Who appointed her spokesperson?  Mayim & Simon are such interesting people IRL, but Kaley just acted like she was the only one on the couch.

Yech.  I bet she was exhausting on set.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 5/4/2019 at 3:54 PM, AngelKitty said:

I have always enjoyed his humor and remember when he was on Drew Carey's show as the boss.

You should see his stand up act if you ever get the chance. My face and sides hurt for 2 days because I laughed so hard.

• Love 5

I thought it was strange that BTS was on again last night, and I don't think it was a repeat.  They performed without any involvement from Stephen, and I was glad about that.  I don't know if it was planned that way, or if Stephen caught flack because of his Ed Sullivan/Beatles stuff with them.

1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

I thought it was strange that BTS was on again last night, and I don't think it was a repeat.  They performed without any involvement from Stephen, and I was glad about that.  I don't know if it was planned that way, or if Stephen caught flack because of his Ed Sullivan/Beatles stuff with them.

They very rarely record a show on Fridays anymore.  The monologue is usually done on Thursday (thus the snarky references to how it feels like a Friday audience), and the interviews and sketches from guests earlier in the week were recorded when they were on.  Stephen's suit and tie will change through the Friday show.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, kassygreene said:

They very rarely record a show on Fridays anymore.  The monologue is usually done on Thursday (thus the snarky references to how it feels like a Friday audience), and the interviews and sketches from guests earlier in the week were recorded when they were on.  Stephen's suit and tie will change through the Friday show.

So the BTS episode was actually just one episode shown over two nights?  I don't watch Colbert every night, so it's confusing.

Forgot to add that I usually think Jon is ok, but his mashup of Prince/Game of Thrones was kinda confusing and bad.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

BTS apparently recorded two numbers: the Beatles thing broadcast whatever night they were on, and the number in Friday's show.  Friday is usually a mash-up of stuff recorded as extras during the week.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

So the BTS episode was actually just one episode shown over two nights?  I don't watch Colbert every night, so it's confusing.

At least the material all seems to be new these days.  For a while there, they were superimposing a new monologue (although recorded prior to Friday) on reruns of earlier interviews.  

• Love 1

I'm sorry, but Howard Stern is a phenomenon I have never understood, and never will.  Just like I don't understand why he rates Stephen skipping the second monologue and being the solo guest.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Loved Kamala Harris last night. She always makes me feel better. (Until I listen to the news again).  Hope she makes it.

I don't know why she doesn't get more attention.  She's personable, intelligent and always has a real common sense take on issues.  

• Love 9
(edited)

I like Kamala okay though she's not my first choice(that would be another female who appeared on this show), but I was really disappointed in her answer to one of the questions Stephen asked her.(not saying more about the question because I'm not trying to be political this is specific to what was said on the show)

Edited by partofme
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

OMG, Sasquatch Rick Perry segment was painfully unfunny.

It was funnier if you happened to watch "Finding Bigfoot", but it still wasn't that funny. Colbert should have invited Bobo instead of Moneymaker.

• LOL 1
1 minute ago, AnimeMania said:

It was funnier if you happened to watch "Finding Bigfoot", but it still wasn't that funny.

I long for the day in some distant future when entertainment doesn't have to be referential, leaving out all those who don't know the reference, but can delight the audience on its own merits.  Which is why I FF past all Stephen's GoT and superheroes bits.

• Love 3